PDA

View Full Version : Advice on features for Ubuntu based distro

agnidev
July 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
hi guys,I have decided of create a ubuntu based distribution for my final year btech project.I needed some help with my project.I needed some ideas for adding features into my os.Can anyone give me ideas.Plz this is importent for me.kindly give some suggestions.:guitar:

GreatDanton
July 17th, 2012, 07:45 PM
It depends, what do you mean with features; programs or something else?

sffvba[e0rt
July 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support request.

agnidev
July 18th, 2012, 03:18 AM
It depends, what do you mean with features; programs or something else?
can u list some features for me.i did not get that.

Paqman
July 18th, 2012, 07:35 AM
can u list some features for me.i did not get that.

He's asking if you just intend to install different default applications or if you intend to modify and enhance something.

There's a lot of stuff you could do, but you'd probably score better and find it easier if you focussed on doing just one thing really well. You could build a good touch UI to make an embedded device to control something (Media streaming? Home automation? Industrial control?). Or you could make a distro optimised for users with a specific disability? Or one optimised for a certain set of tasks (pen testing has been done a lot, or you could do hardware stress testing, commisioning or maintaining a specific set of equipment, etc, etc)

Whatever you do make sure it fits the criteria for what your project will be marked on, but in general I'd say find one thing that you're interested in and hasn't been done to death and just focus on that. There's not much point IMO of just firing up Remastersys and producing a general desktop distro like Fedora or Ubuntu.

vasa1
July 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Similar request here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2022100

sffvba[e0rt
July 18th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Changed name of thread to something that is on topic.

agnidev
July 18th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Similar request here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2022100

yes he is my friend.we both are trying to think of a good idea where to start from.I came up of a idea of make a software center similar to the one that ubuntu provide.I would love to get help from u guys so plz.

matt_symes
July 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi

Hows about creating a spin specifically for karaoke.

You could make it small, light weight (based on a minimal install) and just have the app's and modules needed for karaoke and sound.

Kind regards

thatguruguy
July 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
yes he is my friend.we both are trying to think of a good idea where to start from.I came up of a idea of make a software center similar to the one that ubuntu provide.I would love to get help from u guys so plz.

Well, good luck with that.

That being said, the Ubuntu forums are explicitly not designed to help you with your homework.

Docaltmed
July 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ubuntu Cloud?

Do a distro built around cloud apps -- Zoho, Nuvola, use some of the cool cloud apps from that apps contest like the feed reader and the web-app maker...

agnidev
July 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
thank u so much for the support u guys are giving me.I am planning to make a desktop environment.i want to make it on gnome 3.can someone plz guide me.any help will do.

Ms. Daisy
July 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Well, good luck with that.

That being said, the Ubuntu forums are explicitly not designed to help you with your homework.
That.

uRock
July 29th, 2012, 11:51 PM
From the CoC (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy),
While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums is not a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.Please ask for assistance from your professor.

Thread Closed.