PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Scroll bar irritation

degarb
July 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM
A classic scroll bar is on bottom and right side. Thick enough to click and drag down, with enough contrast to allow peripheral glance to see how much of page is still un-viewed.

The new ubuntu scrollers are too skinny to grab. After pecking and scraping at it about 5 seconds with no luck, a up down arrow lazily pops up allowing scrolling down the page. This would be tolerable, if it worked. But, not working with rapidity enough to be anything less of an irritation.

ajgreeny
July 17th, 2012, 09:05 PM
This has been moaned about to the point of boredom.

Just remove the overlay-scrollbar* packages , I can't remember their complete names, but there is more than one, I think.

I'm still on 10.04, so I don't care about those annoyances.

degarb
July 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I thought I was being un-malleable so I tried living with the scroll bar over lay for last few weeks to get used to it. However, the more I use them, the more I realized they were crippling my experience. Half the time, I couldn't tell how long a web page was, were I was in it. I spent tons of time hunting down the sweet spot where the arrows were hiding. Then waiting for them to pop into view.

Hallelujah, I got them off with http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-disable-overlay-scrollbars-in.html That part of hell is over. Just need a switch to turn this torture device off in the gui.

Fortunately, none of my house hold family used the machine during this scrollbar over lay trial. I would have not got any work done, instead spending time trying to explain, over the cell phone, how to use the scroll bars: to each of the 5 other people in the house.

All these non sysops want is a start button (to browse programs) a windows list button taskbar, a tray with indicators, and max/min/close buttons on top corner of windows. Then, the world makes sense. It is a right or wrong answer, like drawing a tree of all animate life, you start with "Plants", "animals", "Fungi" then sub groups; So it is with an OS: you start with a start button, sub groups of Programs, Places, and Administration, subs of these. Then you need a bar with buttons for running tasks and tray indicator. The further away from this, the wronger your answer and design becomes. Because this is the ONLY design that is correct; all other OS gui designs are WRONG. You can only map a tree classification ONE Way. While trying to poll and achieve intuitive design, someone stumbled on the correct grouping--the only design that makes any sense.