PDA

View Full Version : coffee before an exam

xytron
July 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I have an important exam this week and I REALLY need to do well on it. I'm fairly confident about the material.

I've read conflicting advise on coffee. Some say it increases mental alertness others that it can make you nervous.

So should I have some coffee before the test? (I don't normally drink coffee at all).

Do you drink coffee before your exams? Does it help?

kostkon
July 17th, 2012, 03:24 AM
No, because I believe it increases your already high levels of stress. You will be very focused anyway, it's an exam! You don't need coffee for that.

Redblade20XX
July 17th, 2012, 03:28 AM
It really depends on you. Sometimes I can focus more with coffee but other times it just makes me too hyper. Since you don't normally drink coffee, it might hit you hard. It would've been good for you to find out on a less important test though.

- Red

papibe
July 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
So should I have some coffee before the test? (I don't normally drink coffee at all).

I would say big no no, because since you aren't used to it, it can affect you in ways you don't know.

For example:

It can upset your stomach (it is highly acidic).
It can produce you heartburn symptoms.
You may need to go to the bathroom more often (since it stimulates intestinal functioning, and caffeine dehydrates).

Just my thoughts.
Regards.

P.S.: don't get me wrong. I love coffee (read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1987139&highlight=brikka)).

CharlesA
July 17th, 2012, 03:36 AM
No, because I believe it increases your already high levels of stress. You will be very focused anyway, it's an exam! You don't need coffee for that.
This.

I prefer tea...

deadflowr
July 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM
As all the posts above have stated, no don't drink coffee, especially if you don't already. The best thing you need are good nights of sleep. In this regard I agree with CharlesA, as there are some good tea varieties which are very helpful in giving you a well-rested night sleep. If you started drinking coffee, it might(and most likely will)turn counter-productive, as chances would be that the coffee would over-stimulate you and cause you to not be able to properly learn what you set out to learn.

dwhite
July 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM
no, simply because

(I don't normally drink coffee at all).

if coffee was part of your regular routine then my answer would have been yes

xytron
July 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to stay away from the coffee for now, the last thing I need is to become ill on the day of the exam.

Nixarter
July 17th, 2012, 06:07 AM
coffee (well, caffeine) is not a medication :p It is suggested for headaches.. but only headaches due to caffeine addiction lol

If you don't have any psychological problems, then the only thing you can do is get a good night's rest and make sure you've studied. Worrying about it isn't going to change the outcome. If you do (or think you might) then consult a doctor and see what he/she says.

Anything else is just snake oil.

Shadius
July 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Just get a good night's rest and you'll be fine. You seem to be nervous about the upcoming test. Try some Green Tea instead and have a good breakfast in the morning if the test is at that time.

Paqman
July 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Some say it increases mental alertness others that it can make you nervous.

It does both.

If you're a regular coffee drinker then by all means have one before you go in, as it'll help you to relax and be alert. If you aren't, I wouldn't start right before your exam, as an unfamiliar stimulant on top of the adrenaline might not be a good idea.

Good luck for your exam. The best thing to deal with nerves is good preparation, so if you've put the prep in then trust yourself and smash it.

Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll go brew myself a strong cuppa.

pissedoffdude
July 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
If you can handle stress, coffee should give you a bit of a boost.

What's more important is that you study and understand the material so that you can be confident while taking the test.

Personally, I like to have a dose of caffeine before a test in order to be more focused, and it doesn't seem to have affected me in a negative way.

But again, it really depends on the person. I wouldn't advise it if you suffer from text anxiety.

Shadius
July 17th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've tried it before. It tasted horrible and it gave me such a headache! I never tried it again! I wouldn't suggest you try coffee for the first time when you're trying to concentrate on your test. I stick to water. Best stuff on Earth. :)

Smilax
July 17th, 2012, 09:23 AM
my advice,

bring a small bottle of water to sip on into the exam.

really helps.

up to 5% gain. try it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17741653

Grenage
July 17th, 2012, 09:26 AM
The time to start trying coffee is not before an exam; really it isn't.

Elfy
July 17th, 2012, 09:33 AM
The time to start trying coffee is not before an exam; really it isn't.

Agreed.

Wish I'd done it when I was at school though - thrown out of French exam for snoring ...

Grenage
July 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'd have replied with a witty pun, but the only thing worse than my spoken French, is my written French.

Mais oui!

Face-Ache
July 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Water, Tea, Green Tea - all better alternatives if you're not used to coffee. A 'B' vitamin supplement might also help.

blackbird34
July 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
+1 to green tea.
I drink lots of it, make it with tea leaves and a filter.

I had a coffee before a nasty exam the other week - it hurt, I very nearly foobar'd the whole thing and didn't pass.

sffvba[e0rt
July 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Don't change your lifestyle / habits before something like an exam. If you drink lots of coffee, continue... if you don't then don't :)

CharlesA
July 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Water, Tea, Green Tea - all better alternatives if you're not used to coffee. A 'B' vitamin supplement might also help.

B6 and B12 help with energy levels, so that might be a good thing.

I sometimes drink green tea, but only with a lot of sugar in it.. I can drink black tea with almost no sugar. I have no idea why.

Don't change your lifestyle / habits before something like an exam. If you drink lots of coffee, continue... if you don't then don't :)

Indeed.

Nixarter
July 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I sometimes drink green tea, but only with a lot of sugar in it.. I can drink black tea with almost no sugar.

Sugar in green tea? !#$%!#$%!$%

Coffee with no sugar? :o

You are a strange, strange individual. hahaha

Grenage
July 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I sometimes drink green tea, but only with a lot of sugar in it

Heathen. ;)

tartalo
July 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Better one or two beers, no joke:
http://news.in.msn.com/international/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6011540

thatguruguy
July 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I used to drink coffee before exams, but that was mostly to sober up.

CharlesA
July 17th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Heathen. ;)
Am so! ;)

It's probably cuz I prefer Black Tea, usually of the Earl Grey variety... :P

Dlambert
July 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
NO don't.

teward
July 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
If you're not used to having coffee in your system (as in if you dont have coffee regularly), you should not have coffee before an exam.

However, if you're me and you have coffee in your system pretty much all the time, then it doesnt hurt.

Primefalcon
July 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
coffee is actually pretty good stuff, I live on it!

haqking
July 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM
The only difficult question is the one you don't know the answer too.

Its an exam, you will either pass or fail regardless of what you drink it wont give you any answers.

Peace

Primefalcon
July 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM
btw... https://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+makes+you+smarter

koenn
July 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM
The only difficult question is the one you don't know the answer too.

Its an exam, you will either pass or fail regardless of what you drink it wont give you any answers.

Peace

that depends.
if it's not a 'repeat what you've learned' type exam but one that requires actual thinking or problemsolving, coffee may in some circumstances (as outlined by multiple posters upthread) help to improve focus and alertness.

koenn
July 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I used to drink coffee before exams, but that was mostly to sober up.

did it work ?

thatguruguy
July 17th, 2012, 09:26 PM
did it work ?

I passed the bar exam in three different states that way, so yes.

Nixarter
July 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/901425090.Gb.r.html

and you guys are misinterpreting that site lol

It doesn't make you smarter... what it basically says is that, if your body is already slowing down (like getting ready for sleep), caffeine can temporarily and artificially postpone it. BUT it uses energy reserves to do it, thus the crash. Ignore marketing, anything with enough caffeine to have any effect MUST have a crash. Caffeine isn't time-release. There is a short spike, usually peaking at well above ideal. Yeah, it hits "normal" (optimal) levels twice (once on the "way up" and once on the "way down"), but these are brief and unpredictable. Have you ever heard of ceffeine being prescribed to someone with mood disorders? Of course not. there is a reason for that lol

Think, people! :p