PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Instillation Freezes 12.04 64bit

ekie95
July 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi,
I hope you can help me out with this one. I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 64bit edition on my desktop system. What happens is my system reads the cd then goes to the ubuntu instillation screen with a white box and freezes. I can see my mouse pointer in the middle of the screen but can not move it at all. I have tested the disc though the f6 menu and ubuntu says that the disc is good. I think it might be my video card. My video card is the nvidia gtx 580. I have tried downloading the latest drivers for my card and running them though the ubuntu installer with the same problems. Please help me out.
My system specs are

Intel I7 980x (over clocked to 3.84ghz)
12GB 1600mhz ram
Nvidia GTX 580
120GB ssd OS and 1.5tb, 2tb storage hard drives
Thanks

lrcaballero
July 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
ekie95 Welcome to Ubuntu!

I've had experience this issue my-self several of times and I can conclude that it was not my video card, are you able to explore the OS prior to installing it to your HDD? If so, how is the behavior of the OS while exploring with it?

My case was that I was going directly to installing the OS rather than exploring with Ubuntu 12.04 and for a weird reason it continued to Froze at this point! So after several attempts I rebooted and first explored with 12.04 first then I proceeded to installing it into my HDD after playing with 12.04 for minutes and this did the trick for me!

I would also try burning the ISO onto another DVD even though you have tested it your current DVD but this time at a lower speed.

Cheers and good luck,