PDA

View Full Version : Are they phasing out Synaptic package manager?

fixitdude
July 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Seems like the Synaptic package manager is being phased out.

As a geek, I like the thing, it's always worked, been pretty consistent in the interface and it's use is simple.

I find stuff when I need it and search seems to find stuff even if you only know a keyword or two.

What I really don't want to use is a basic simple "newbie" style installer that is good for my grandma. Although I think that is a good thing to have for other people.

Shadius
July 15th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Say it isn't so! I've always loved Synaptic Package Manager. It's helped me tremendously. Did you come across some news saying that "they" are planning to phase it out?

cariboo
July 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM
What makes you think synaptic is being phased out? As long as it is still in the Debian repositories, it will still be available to Ubuntu users.

Synaptic doesn't fit in the vision of what Ubuntu will be, so it isn't installed by default, but for those of us that don't like the Software Centre, it still works just as well as it always has.

Synaptic package manager is one of the first three packages I install, on a fresh installation. The other two being aptitude and mc.

robtygart
July 15th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Same here, I use it alot.

Shadius
July 15th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Synaptic doesn't fit in the vision of what Ubuntu will be...

What do you mean?

cariboo
July 15th, 2012, 04:29 AM
What do you mean?

Ubuntu is designed to be any easy-to-use distribution, no matter what experience level the user has, be they a fresh convert from windows, a first time computer user, or an or experienced user.

At times with all the options available in synaptic, it can get fairly complicated to use sucessfully.

seenthelite
July 15th, 2012, 04:32 AM
the vision of what Ubuntu will be.

Which is?

malspa
July 15th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Synaptic is always the first app I install in Ubuntu. I've run Ubuntu Software Center only to look around and check it out, and a few times just to do some package searches. Once, I ran Ubuntu Software Center after a fresh installation only for the purpose of installing Synaptic.

Anyway, Synaptic is not being phased out, thankfully.

Shadius
July 15th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Ubuntu is designed to be any easy-to-use distribution, no matter what experience level the user has, be they a fresh convert from windows, a first time computer user, or an or experienced user.

At times with all the options available in synaptic, it can get fairly complicated to use sucessfully.

Oh okay, I understand what you mean now. Makes sense. For me, when I was introduced to Ubuntu, Synaptic Package Manager was a lifesaver because I was so used to installing and uninstalling programs the Windows way, from the Control Panel. The Synaptic Package Manager gave me that familiar feeling of the Windows Control Panel. Now I'm learning that it has many more functions!

MadmanRB
July 15th, 2012, 07:05 AM
The problem with software center in ubuntu is that... its really stupid, it wont detect you have added a new repo unless you restart and use a lot of third party repos thats more restarts then windows 7 in a week

pissedoffdude
July 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
The Ubuntu dev's are focusing more on the Ubuntu Software Center, but that doesn't mean synaptic is going anywhere. It is not an ubuntu-specific app, so we'll be able to install it afterwards anyway.

viperdvman
July 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I too am glad that Synaptic is staying around. It's an excellent secondary package manager for me, and my more advanced one when I want to look for or install specific packages, or fix broken ones. I also use Ubuntu Software Center a my primary, mainly for a lot of my shopping around. And finally I use command line for quick specific package installs.

BigSilly
July 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I can't see Synaptic being killed off or anything, but I've been using the Muon suite on Kubuntu and it's very good. There's a simple package manager much like Synaptic, and also a "Software Centre" too. It's not quite as sophisticated as Ubuntu's own, but it is very useful.

jmfal
July 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
+1 to Synaptic, I never leave home without it.

stalkingwolf
July 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
i use synaptic almost exclusively. I find software center to be slow and clunky.

Paqman
July 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Seems like the Synaptic package manager is being phased out.

Unless you've got something to back this up with, this whole thread looks a lot like trollage. Synaptic hasn't had any major new features in a while, but then it doesn't really need any. The last release was only a couple of months ago, so it looks like it's still being maintained.

screaminj3sus
July 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
synaptic is nice, but its pretty ugly and doesn't have the most user friendly interface for new users. Its just not installed by default anymore, its not going anywhere.

sffvba[e0rt
July 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Use what works for you.

Max Blyss
July 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I find that I use the Software Center and Synaptic for different things, kinda.

Synaptic is unbeatable at those times when you already know what you want / need, and it seemed to make the idea of dependencies clearer for me... Also, the fix feature is great.

Software Center is really nice when you want to browse around and look for new things to try out... Particularly when it comes to games, the previews and reviews are quite useful.

Another poster had mentioned Muon... I really liked that one, but too much of the other bloat in KDE kinda chases me off.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Unless you've got something to back this up with, this whole thread looks a lot like trollage. Synaptic hasn't had any major new features in a while, but then it doesn't really need any. The last release was only a couple of months ago, so it looks like it's still being maintained.

It's not trollage. The OP's experience from installing Ubuntu showed that Synaptic wasn't installed anymore, which does make it seem like they are phasing it out. The truth of the matter is that they already did phase it out of the default install. I don't think he was trying to troll.

The possibly confusing thing is who "they" are. If "they" means the developers of Synaptic, then it's false. If "they" means Canonical, then it's true that they're phasing it out of their installation.

madjr
July 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM
i use synaptic almost exclusively. I find software center to be slow and clunky.

this !

+100

anyway would be cool to see a synaptic and/or software center or package manager lens, which would be pretty fast and probably feel integrated or be useful.

gotta put this lens stuff we got now to good use!

I can't code, so anyone up for the challenge ?

Primefalcon
July 16th, 2012, 12:33 AM
simply search thew USC for it or do a sudo apt-get install synaptic for it.... simple

Paqman
July 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
It's not trollage. The OP's experience from installing Ubuntu showed that Synaptic wasn't installed anymore, which does make it seem like they are phasing it out. The truth of the matter is that they already did phase it out of the default install. I don't think he was trying to troll.

Well, I did initially assume that this was the case, but the fact that the OP hasn't come back puts this down as a drive-by post. That's classic troll behaviour. Drop a controversial and/or confusing first post, sit back and watch the forum tie themselves in knots.

Just in case the OP is genuine: being dropped from the default install doesn't mean anything. As long as Debian have Synaptic in their repos, Ubuntu will have it too. It's only a couple of clicks away, just like the other 40,000 packages.

Grenage
July 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
While I don't use synaptic now (I rarely install, and usually from terminal), when I was starting with Linux, I used to detest it; you'd search for an application, and end up with 100 results - mostly irrelevant.

I don't use Software Centre, but at least it's simple and obvious.

forrestcupp
July 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Well, I did initially assume that this was the case, but the fact that the OP hasn't come back puts this down as a drive-by post. That's classic troll behaviour. Drop a controversial and/or confusing first post, sit back and watch the forum tie themselves in knots.Good point. :)

Michaeljs1990
July 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM
i hope not, ubuntu software center is to graphic intense and slow and still runs slow on one of my desktops even though i also use it for games like COD without any problems.

vasa1
July 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I think the confusion, if any, has been cleared and this thread may be "phased out" ;)

nothingspecial
July 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I think the confusion, if any, has been cleared and this thread may be "phased out" ;)

Good idea.

Closed.