PDA

View Full Version : Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Welly Wu
July 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I just read a Phoronix article in which Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve Corporation's Steam client is coming to Linux by the end of 2012 or earlier. If he does make good on his word, then this will be simply awesome news. I hope that they target Ubuntu as one of their primary goals for bringing Steam to Linux.

Right now, I purchased CrossOver for Linux 64 bit 11.2.0. I have the Valve Corporation Steam client for Windows installed and I have Sid Meier's Civilization V with a couple of DLCs that I purchased. I have not played this game yet and I am holding off because I have to study for my Graduate Record Examination.

If this does become reality, then it will be most definitely one of the big highlights of this year. I know that there are countless numbers of Ubuntu Forums users that dual-boot into Microsoft Windows and they use Steam to play Windows PC games. This would mean that they could play their Steam games in Ubuntu and perhaps they can get rid of Windows altogether for certain folks.

Valve has hired a lot of impressive Linux talent recently and they are building up their Linux team with additional key hires. If they can manage to pull this off with the fewest bugs and problems, then it will mean that millions of Linux customers will do business with them in the future. There are so many games that I want to purchase and play in Ubuntu using the Steam client.

Things just keep getting better for the Linux community every year.

Dlambert
July 15th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Old News ;)

cbennett926
July 15th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you own a disc copy of a game, can you enter the disc "code" to play it if it is available on steam? As in, I own Civ 4, and it's on steam, would I be able to enter the product key to play it on steam?

Dlambert
July 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you own a disc copy of a game, can you enter the disc "code" to play it if it is available on steam? As in, I own Civ 4, and it's on steam, would I be able to enter the product key to play it on steam?

If you had WINE/POL yes.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
By the end of 2012 or earlier? Now we have a date. If it doesn't happen by the end of this year, we can finally put Phoronix's lies to rest, once and for all.

Yes. When Half-Life 2 came out, I bought it on disc. A while later, I threw the disc away. I was able to reinstall it with Steam.

alexan
July 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Valve won't bring Steam to Linux because there's no marklet for it.

Make linux market for games worty: quit Steam (:lolflag:) at all and support those who are building the market.

http://www.desura.com/
http://www.gameolith.com/
The market follow people's wallet... not their mouth :mad:

xedi
July 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Steam is coming to Linux, it's not a rumor and not a "phoronix lie". I do not think Valve ever made a big announcment but they have officially confirmed that it's in the works several times: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/valves-gabe-newell-reiterates-steam-linux-support

Dlambert
July 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Valve won't bring Steam to Linux because there's no marklet for it.

Make linux market for games worty: quit Steam (:lolflag:) at all and support those who are building the market.

http://www.desura.com/
http://www.gameolith.com/
The market follow people's wallet... not their mouth :mad:

Steam is confirmed with source/left 4 dead 2 already working.

mr john
July 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. There's not much money in Linux gaming, but a few big companies throwing their weight in could help change that once gamers start crossing over. I know at least a few people who would switch to Ubuntu if it were more games friendly.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Steam is coming to Linux, it's not a rumor and not a "phoronix lie". I do not think Valve ever made a big announcment but they have officially confirmed that it's in the works several times: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/valves-gabe-newell-reiterates-steam-linux-support

Wow. That's the first time I've seen anything at all that looks trustworthy. I guess you can trust Valve's own managing director when he said they are supporting Linux.

Maybe soon, we'll be able to put this to rest with Duke Nukem Forever and Gimp 2.8.

sffvba[e0rt
July 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Oldish news as has been stated.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5MjQ

Video form link above - http://youtu.be/t_sLKHOHtug

ranger1021994
July 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wine !!!

cbennett926
July 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Wow. That's the first time I've seen anything at all that looks trustworthy. I guess you can trust Valve's own managing director when he said they are supporting Linux.

Maybe soon, we'll be able to put this to rest with Duke Nukem Forever and Gimp 2.8.

Hopefully it'll be better than Duke Nukem Forever haha

Kimm
July 16th, 2012, 01:49 AM
What I wounder is if this will really means that the games that already are on Steam will also work on Linux (which everyone seems to think) or if it is just a game distribution system for games designed specifically for Linux. Personally, the latter seems more probable, but I do hope they port some of the more significant engines (and subsequently, games) to Linux in the process, like HL2.

Nixarter
July 16th, 2012, 02:12 AM
My guess is that with STEAM will come DX. This will make it pretty simple to port to Linux. If not, they will have to re-write games for OpenGL... which might mean companies would have to put a lot of effort into making a game run on Linux. At least I think that's how it works :)

Bölvaður
July 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My guess is that with STEAM will come DX. This will make it pretty simple to port to Linux.
To put it simply: This will never happen. DirectX is never coming to Linux. What could happen, within the next three decades, is that a group of hackers would put together a similar toolkit, from tools that are readily available already.

Ubun2to
July 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Portal all the way!
By the way, this was announced awhile ago...but I still love hearing the words "Steam for Linux!"

Grenage
July 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM

I remain as sceptical as you.

Maybe Desura's success has proven that it's not a total waste of time, although having a client and having games that work on Linux are very different things. If there's a steam client for Linux, but it only has EA webgames... what's the point?

forrestcupp
July 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
What I wounder is if this will really means that the games that already are on Steam will also work on Linux (which everyone seems to think) or if it is just a game distribution system for games designed specifically for Linux. Personally, the latter seems more probable, but I do hope they port some of the more significant engines (and subsequently, games) to Linux in the process, like HL2.

The story is that they are porting the Source engine to Linux, too. But even that won't make all the games magically work. It will just make it much easier to port the games to Linux. I forget which games it is that they are supposedly already working on porting.

xedi
July 16th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Yes and no. You are correct that Steam is only a game distribution platform, however, what is exciting is that Valve is also porting their source engine, so Valve games will come also to Linux eventually.

ELD
July 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
As the owner of a Linux Gaming website www.gamingonlinux.com (http://www.gamingonlinux.com) I often pulled Phoronix up on their over hyping of this story, that is until i shot Gabe (owner of Valve) an email to his personal email myself to ask if 1 - its coming to linux and 2 - if it would be out before the end of the year.

To my shock Gabe actually replied and said yes to both.

Phoronix also showed a photo of Left for Dead 2 running natively on Linux so that looks to be at least one Source Engine game coming to Linux, no doubt the new Counter Strike: GO will support us too.

The thing with Desura is while it's a good idea the Desura client is honestly rubbish as it is now, very buggy and no official support other than the Desurium open source client which is development is rather slow on (i think part due to lack of official support from Desura). One of the best things about Steam is the community features around it which make it so big - Desura has none of this.

As for Gameolith while again i support them they have switched from Linux only to multi platform, have no client to keep up to date and are slow to update games - not to mention a tiny library.

I am keeping my eye on but even with Gabe emailing me, i still remain skeptical :/

forrestcupp
July 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I am keeping my eye on but even with Gabe emailing me, i still remain skeptical :/

I'm a lot less skeptical now than I was.

thatguruguy
July 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'm a lot less skeptical now than I was.

I am an intermediate skeptical druid, third class.

ffejrey
July 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Valve blog about the Linux client

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

JDShu
July 17th, 2012, 02:13 AM
porting left 4 dead 2 :)

tjeremiah
July 17th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Oh SNAP!

JDShu
July 17th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Btw, could mods add a "confirmed" label or something to the thread title? Thanks to Phoronix, nobody would believe/notice this.

Ubun2to
July 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Phoronix also showed a photo of Left for Dead 2 running natively on Linux so that looks to be at least one Source Engine game coming to Linux, no doubt the new Counter Strike: GO will support us too.

Did you ask if they were porting Portal 1 and 2? Because those are the only 2 games that matter to me at the moment.

Dry Lips
July 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Valve announces Ubuntu port of Steam, Source engine, and Left 4 Dead 2
The company is also looking at porting additional titles to the platform.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/valve-announces-ubuntu-port-of-steam-source-engine-and-left-4-dead-2/

philinux
July 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/valve-confirm-steam-left-4-dead-2-coming-to-ubuntu?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Valve blog about the Linux client

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

Straight from the horse's mouth. Now we don't have to wade through Phoronix's crap anymore. We can get real information from the Source (pun intended).

BrokenKingpin
July 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
It is about ******* time they officially announced this. If they can get L4D2 running, they should be able to get all their games running on the Source engine running. And now that they are supporting Linux in an official manner, there is a higher likely hood that their future engines and project will be supported under Linux/Ubuntu.

sffvba[e0rt
July 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Threads merged.

ELD
July 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Once one Source Engine game is ported others will follow and be quicker as well since the underlying technology will already be there so we should see other source engine games in a short time after.

Just FYI my website www.gamingonlinux.com (http://www.gamingonlinux.com) is a place i did post confirmation on Steam For Linux coming multiple times, it's not just phoronix who is in the know ;)

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM
It is about ******* time they officially announced this. If they can get L4D2 running, they should be able to get all their games running on the Source engine running. And now that they are supporting Linux in an official manner, there is a higher likely hood that their future engines and project will be supported under Linux/Ubuntu.

Well, they're still working on getting the frame rates up to par using OpenGL. So they're not quite there yet. Once they get to that point, it should be easy for them to port anything that uses the Source engine. After they get all the foundational stuff squared away, the Linux team's objective is to start porting other games, according to their blog.

Grenage
July 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Glorious news indeed, Steam support would be one of the biggest advances in making Linux viable for home use.

ELD
July 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM
You have to think - they must be quite far along if they are officially announcing it and blogging it now, maybe a beta around the corner?

-jay-
July 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
finally, just wonder when it will be released

sffvba[e0rt
July 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Last word was to the end of 2012...

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
This is possibly an exciting time for Linux. This is a good sign that PC software makers are becoming uncomfortable with how Microsoft seems to be shifting toward forsaking the desktop/laptop. Windows 8 does a lot for tablets and the touch screen, but in my opinion since trying it out in a VM, the disadvantages it brings to the desktop outweigh the advantages.

If that is the future that Microsoft is choosing to head toward, I can understand why PC software creators would start thinking toward supporting Linux, too.

Welly Wu
July 18th, 2012, 09:20 PM
They must release it by this Christmas 2012 or earlier for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. Valve knows that Canonical will release Ubuntu 12.10 on October 18th, 2012 so that will be the earliest release date for Steam for Ubuntu GNU/Linux. A lot of new computers will be sold and Ubuntu 12.10 32 and 64 bit will be installed on those new computers worldwide. I just hope that Valve knows what they are doing and they can guarantee compatibility for Ubuntu 12.10 regarding Steam.

This October 2012 will be an important one for me. I am probably going to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit, Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, and Microsoft Office 2013 64 bit Professional Plus.

Then, we have the November presidential elections on November 6th, 2012.

Afterwards, Valve has one last shot to release Steam by Christmas 2012 at the very latest deadline to get Ubuntu users to buy games from them.

2012 will be a good year for me.

Dlambert
July 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Beta testing TBA

Nixarter
July 18th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I just hope that they don't do all the stupid DRM crap with the Linux one

Grenage
July 19th, 2012, 08:52 AM

It's very unlikely they'll change their way of operating, especially for a relatively token share. Still, Steam is so damn convenient; I'd rather have content with DRM, than no content at all.

Welly Wu
July 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
This is a test post.

doorknob60
July 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM
In 2012, huh? We'll see...
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time :P

thatguruguy
July 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that when Steam launches for Linux, they will immediately provide all of the source code for every game on Steam, and all of the games will be offered for free. Also, the CEO of Valve will drive over to your house and give you a very nice sandwich. Your choice, steak, ham or chicken.

Ji Ruo
July 20th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that when Steam launches for Linux, they will immediately provide all of the source code for every game on Steam, and all of the games will be offered for free. Also, the CEO of Valve will drive over to your house and give you a very nice sandwich. Your choice, steak, ham or chicken.

Neck massage or no deal Gabe

ELD
July 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Sarcastic much? ;)

They are currently working with intel devs on the open source drivers - so you may see pretty good support for steam with intels own graphics - which is great news if true since intels latest gen graphics aren't that bad.

Hope to see another blog post from them to keep us updated :D

Dlambert
July 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Apus ftw!

Lucradia
July 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I hope Valve drops Vindictus for Steam if Vindictus can't be ported :V since it uses Source.

mamamia88
July 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM
So what percentage of games will be released for this? Thinking of building my first gaming rig soon but the idea of going back to windows doesn't appeal to me. Should i just keep gaming on my ps3/360 and wait and see for a few years?

Merk42
July 21st, 2012, 03:56 AM
So what percentage of games will be released for this? Thinking of building my first gaming rig soon but the idea of going back to windows doesn't appeal to me. Should i just keep gaming on my ps3/360 and wait and see for a few years?That's really up to the individual developers. Valve is only porting the distribution method (Steam) and a game (Left 4 Dead 2, probably other Source games).
Look at Steam for Mac, it's been around for a while but not EVERY game is available for Mac because the developer didn't make a Mac version.

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM
That's really up to the individual developers. Valve is only porting the distribution method (Steam) and a game (Left 4 Dead 2, probably other Source games).
Look at Steam for Mac, it's been around for a while but not EVERY game is available for Mac because the developer didn't make a Mac version.

That's right. The only hope this gives us is for the games that run on the Source engine. There are a lot of games out there that don't use Source. As of right now, we have no hope at all for all of those, other than that Valve's move might inspire and motivate them.

drawkcab
July 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm going to go buy left 4 dead 2 immediately. I'm a huge tf2 fan so I hope that's next. :D :D :D

foutes
July 22nd, 2012, 01:54 AM
You can add 6 months to a year(as any Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 fan can attest to) onto any date Gabe gives,this is called Valve Time.

Ji Ruo
July 22nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Use of Open GL would be the main criterion for a developer to consider porting a game.

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Use of Open GL would be the main criterion for a developer to consider porting a game.
The good thing about this is if you're using a game engine, like Source, the game developer doesn't have to worry about whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL. You just write one set of code using the Source API and let it handle what method it uses.

Sslaxx
July 22nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
I suspect the games available for Linux Steam will be something like 95% Unity 4, 4% Source and 1% everything else. I'd be VERY surprised to see any major publishers support it (ala Mac Steam); I'd imagine 0.1% of the 1% would be from major publishers other than Valve, and that's an optimistic guess.

Lucradia
July 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
The good thing about this is if you're using a game engine, like Source, the game developer doesn't have to worry about whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL. You just write one set of code using the Source API and let it handle what method it uses.

Both Portal and Portal 2 can use OpenGL even on Windows (but only if you completely remove DirectX, and force Portal/2 to use OpenGL by not letting it install DirectX, etc.)

Or try this command: -force-opengl

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Both Portal and Portal 2 can use OpenGL even on Windows (but only if you completely remove DirectX, and force Portal/2 to use OpenGL by not letting it install DirectX, etc.)

Or try this command: -force-opengl

After they finish porting Source, I'm sure things will have even better OpenGL support. They're still trying to get the OpenGL framerates tweaked to be on par with DirectX. I can't believe they're putting this much into it.

BigSilly
July 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
After they finish porting Source, I'm sure things will have even better OpenGL support. They're still trying to get the OpenGL framerates tweaked to be on par with DirectX. I can't believe they're putting this much into it.

Me neither! Great times...

I always knew this would happen. *cough*

Lucradia
July 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Apparently Windows 8 is a catastrophe:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/steams-newell-windows-8-catastrophe-driving-valve-to-embrace-linux/

donkyhotay
July 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Apparently Windows 8 is a catastrophe:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/steams-newell-windows-8-catastrophe-driving-valve-to-embrace-linux/

Just different, most of what I've seen of it is that it's essentially a smartphone interface. There will be people who claim it's going to put MS out of business just like win7, vista, XP, ME, etc. did before it but people will use it because it's what the big companies are going to support.

Nixarter
July 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
It's very unlikely they'll change their way of operating, especially for a relatively token share. Still, Steam is so damn convenient; I'd rather have content with DRM, than no content at all.

I agree. But I can hope, can't I? The trend is moving away from DRM. Apple is the first big company to make a big move (with their music service). DRM doesn't add any value. Personally, I'd rather see that money invested into more levels or characters or expansions. But that's just MHO.

But again, (big name) games with DRM are better than no (big name) games at all.

Regarding the available titles, they have said that they would like to get all the games ported over. I dunno if that is going to happen... but many people and companies are reliant on Steam now... so if they say "thou shall port" it carries some weight.

Whatever the case, with all the recent developments, the next couple years is going to be very interesting for gaming news.

graabein
July 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I long for the day I can play Civilization V natively on GNU/Linux.

mips
July 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I long for the day I can play Civilization V natively on GNU/Linux.

Never played it but have you ever given 0 A.D. a spin. Just wondering what people think of it. Seems to have potential from what I've read.

evilsoup
July 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Isn't 0AD an RTS?

alexan
July 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Just to understand how many games will be ported in Linux.

How many MacOS games are available through Steam?

Maybe we can have finally a more realistic and credible statistical idea (read: "lie") on Valve's ability to bring big names of the industry on other platform

forrestcupp
July 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Maybe we can have finally a more realistic and credible statistical idea (read: "lie") on Valve's ability to bring big names of the industry on other platform

Yeah, but now that they seem to be in the porting business, maybe they'll start getting more games over to MacOS, too.

Lucradia
July 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah, but now that they seem to be in the porting business, maybe they'll start getting more games over to MacOS, too.

Well, if you follow @steam_games on twitter, and get the message X is now available on steamplay. Then you'll know something has been ported to MacOS :P

mips
July 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM

http://ompldr.org/vZXg4ZQ/Screenshot%20-%2030072012%20-%2017:15:17.png

You can't really say that linux will get 380 games as it would depend on the individual companies to port them.

For now I would say look at Valve's own Source Engine based games. Hopefully other companies follow suite.

Sslaxx
July 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
You can't really say that linux will get 380 games as it would depend on the individual companies to port them.

For now I would say look at Valve's own Source Engine based games. Hopefully other companies follow suite.
I think you misunderstood. I think Gabe's talking about using WINE to "port" across the games that are not (or do not have made) native versions.

Merk42
July 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I think Alexan's point is just because Steam is coming to Linux doesn't mean 100% of the library is too.

forrestcupp
July 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I think you misunderstood. I think Gabe's talking about using WINE to "port" across the games that are not (or do not have made) native versions.

I don't think so. They're actually almost finished creating and tweaking the native Linux port of the Source engine. I think he really intends to have native Linux ports of a lot of Source engine games. It's the 3rd party game creators that distribute their games with Steam that he can't control.

Nixarter
July 31st, 2012, 06:25 AM
http://ompldr.org/vZXg4ZQ/Screenshot%20-%2030072012%20-%2017:15:17.png

I think it will get more. The hardware is better. I don't know anyone with a MAC that plays any games. Everyone that I know who has linux plays games. You are talking about a completely different target market.

Of course, all of it remains to be seen, but I have confidence.

Welly Wu
August 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408016,00.asp

It looks like Microsoft Windows 8 is going to be much more secure by default than Microsoft Windows 7. It also looks like it will protect against attack vectors targeting the memory.

This all looks to be very tempting to me. I might just wind up upgrading for $39.99 USD on October 26th, 2012.

alexan
August 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I think Alexan's point is just because Steam is coming to Linux doesn't mean 100% of the library is too.
That's a good point, but not mine.

My point is a to have a rough statistics on how many game translate "Steam for Linux"
Game count for Apple is 380 titles and has ~6% of market share (let's call it drain interest from software house.
Let's suppose that Linux it's still at 1%... 1/6 worth for the software houses interest.
1/6 of 380 is 63 titles. Which is not a very promising base. But let's try to extend a bit with some potential Linux has to offer (why Linux could drain more interest in both Valve and other software houses)

1. No owner: Mac owner is Apple and Valve has to obbey to Apple's house rules. Windows owner is Microsoft and same rule apply. Plus both Apple and Microsoft suffer form "unfair" competition: soon both Apple and Microsoft will push for every pc sold their own market. Unfair field for another marketer like Valve
2. future of the platform Independence: you don't like what Trovalds is going to plug in the future kernel? Just do like Google with Android: fork it (or find alliance to do so). Your work is never lost if you've enough skill/development capabilities.
3. Costs license: 0, seriously... your clients hasn't to pay for their OS within each update (XP, Vista, Seven, 8... lion, leopard caturday&co). So where other user pay for update their OS, Linux user can just buy 3~4 more games. Yeah, that's a weak point, but still stand.
4. Make your own distro. Let's figure all those poor XP users that are still locked to Direct 9 perfomances. Now, imagine Valve make it's own distro exactly on propouse to run on dual boot: latest kernel, latest OpenGL, latest drivers only to run your game at full throttle.
IE: shutdown XP > reboot in linux in about ~30sec (only modules and stuff need for gaming) > launch game.
Thare are more points that actually doesn't come up in my mind

In rough "market share" statistic Linux has very low interest, but as the Ouya project show... interest is something that can be build in few weeks if you have a good idea.

mips
August 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Gabe Newell is also talking to other companies using steam as their delivery platform about their porting work for Linux. Maybe one or two of them bite.

Either way only time will tell what's gonna happen.

Dry Lips
August 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Apparently "Left 4 Dead" runs faster on Linux/OpenGL than Windows/Direct3d...

"That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL."

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

AvalonSpirit
August 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I think most people are missing the point. If we do get steam for linux before the year is out it will proably be with just source games.

Maybe later, games for linux available throug steam can catch up with what steam for mac offers.

The real advantage right now is having nvidia, amd and intel taking graphics drivers for linux seriously. Even if they dont release an open source driver, having nvidia take linux seriously in terms of driver development would be a great thing. (maybe even have optimus support for linux...)

forrestcupp
August 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
The main discouraging thing about this is that the only game they have worked on so far is a 3 year old game that they're just trying to squeeze a little more life out of.

Apparently "Left 4 Dead" runs faster on Linux/OpenGL than Windows/Direct3d...

"That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL."

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Someone pointed out somewhere that it still uses DirectX 9, which is not as efficient as later versions. If they weren't stuck on DX 9, the results may be different.

xedi
August 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Serious Sam is also coming this year via steam, so while I do not know whether it will launch simultaneously with left 4 dead, I think it is close enough to say that steam will not only launch with source games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/serious-sam-3-bfe-runs-screaming-to-linux-via-steam/

forrestcupp
August 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Serious Sam is also coming this year via steam, so while I do not know whether it will launch simultaneously with left 4 dead, I think it is close enough to say that steam will not only launch with source games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/25/serious-sam-3-bfe-runs-screaming-to-linux-via-steam/

That's a good start to get the ball rolling. Now if only we could get Intuit to port QuickBooks.

newbie2
August 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
The Steam store is not coming to Linux in general. It is coming, specifically, to Ubuntu. But that’s not the problem. I have no issue with Valve only supporting one Distro at launch. The problem is that Ubuntu already has a software and game store – the Ubuntu Software Center (or “Software Centre” for you crazy kids on the other side of the pond).

Now, I’m not opposed to some healthy competition. Quite the contrary. But, in this case, I’m concerned. We don’t need two software stores. We need one that is highly successful and pulls in large-enough sales volumes to attract developers and publishers to the platform.

Currently, the Ubuntu Software Center is still in its early stages. It’s growing and improving, but is not yet large enough (in terms of individuals actively using and purchasing software) to make it truly enticing for publishers to invest the resources needed to port their wares to Linux.

My chief concern is that the arrival of Steam will simply serve to splinter the already small (relatively) user base of “people on Linux who buy software through a digital store."

I would prefer to see Valve release games, starting with Left 4 Dead 2, through the Ubuntu Software Center. That would help bolster an existing effort to build a Linux software store while still giving Valve access to a new base of users.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/81195
:rolleyes:

Jay MC
August 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I reckon very few of the titles will come to Ubuntu initially, and the growth of the library will depend on response/uptake. They're not going to go all-in and port every single one of their titles until they've thoroughly tested the theory that Steam for Ubuntu is a good idea and viable business.

I presume they're going to port two or three games, and if those flop, maybe try a couple more and then give up. The amount of persevering will depend how much the initial investment has been (i.e., chasing losses).

Hopefully this is a big success for Valve. I think they will be doing it quite cautiously though.

As far as the Software Centre goes, I don't use Steam myself, but I understand it's more than just a place to get games - it has community features, chat, automatic updates, multiplayer, etc.. I don't think it's as simple as asking Valve to port their games and then make them available via an existing (much less feature-rich) channel. Or have I misunderstood? :-?

mips
August 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
As far as the Software Centre goes, I don't use Steam myself, but I understand it's more than just a place to get games - it has community features, chat, automatic updates, multiplayer, etc.. I don't think it's as simple as asking Valve to port their games and then make them available via an existing (much less feature-rich) channel. Or have I misunderstood? :-?

No. Steam is pretty neat, I like it.

Perfect Storm
August 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
No. Steam is pretty neat, I like it.

+1. Running steam via crossover in Ubuntu.

I see no reason why they can't co-exist.

Max Blyss
August 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM
MORE GAMES is NEVER a bad thing!!!

While I do eagerly await the arrival of Steam, I will in no way quit playing all the great games that the Software Center offers.
(Red Eclipse, Nexuiz, SMC, Supertux Kart, TORCS, Lugaru, Gunroar, Neverputt,... List goes on and on...)

I can see how some folks might worry that Steam would steal attention from the SC, but I think the fact that so many great games are available free of charge will see to it that doesn't happen.

In the meantime, let's celebrate the coming of Steam by more heavily promoting the existing games we have available!

sffvba[e0rt
August 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Newly installed distro eagerly awaiting to coming of Steam and as many games that will be supported natively.

Zeven
August 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I may be a gamer and I actually own a good deal of Valve titles, but have not yet played them. Might as well wait till they come out on Linux now!

Zeven
August 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM
That's really up to the individual developers. Valve is only porting the distribution method (Steam) and a game (Left 4 Dead 2, probably other Source games).

Keep in mind that Steam for Linux is seemingly causing greater excitement than Steam for Mac OS. Gabe and the rest of Valve seem to be much more invested in Linux now than they ever were into Mac OS. Steam for Linux will also launch with a lot more games.

Merk42
August 20th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Steam for Linux will also launch with a lot more games.
[citation needed]

Zeven
August 20th, 2012, 04:32 AM
[citation needed]

Probability and common sense will do for me.

thatguruguy
August 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Probability and common sense will do for me.

Assuming that this (http://stats.wikimedia.org/archive/squid_reports/2012-06/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm) accurately reflects current usage, Mac OSX is on approximately 7.5% of all desktops, while Linux is on approximately 1.5%. It is neither "probable" that Steam would provide more support to Linux than it does to OSX, nor would it be "common sense" for them to do so.

Since I run Linux full-time, I'd appreciate it greatly if Steam supported Linux more than any other platform, but I don't use my own personal wishes as a basis for forecasting what they will actually do.

forrestcupp
August 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Assuming that this (http://stats.wikimedia.org/archive/squid_reports/2012-06/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm) accurately reflects current usage, Mac OSX is on approximately 7.5% of all desktops, while Linux is on approximately 1.5%. It is neither "probable" that Steam would provide more support to Linux than it does to OSX, nor would it be "common sense" for them to do so.

Since I run Linux full-time, I'd appreciate it greatly if Steam supported Linux more than any other platform, but I don't use my own personal wishes as a basis for forecasting what they will actually do.

What you say is true. But all of the excitement and buzz at Valve over this surely adds to the probability a little. I don't remember such a sense of dedication and "sticking it to the man" when they decided to develop a Mac version. Plus, it would be a pretty big waste of time to develop Steam and Source for Linux if all they're going to be putting on it is L4D2.

You have to admit that if you consider Linux's market share, before a few months ago, the reality of Steam coming to Linux at all was improbable and against common sense. Yet, here they are doing it. With the attitude they're currently displaying, it wouldn't surprise me if they continue doing the improbable. Hopefully, they're rashness won't bite them in the butt until they've put out a bunch of good games for Linux. :)

Zeven
August 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM

Since I run Linux full-time, I'd appreciate it greatly if Steam supported Linux more than any other platform, but I don't use my own personal wishes as a basis for forecasting what they will actually do.What you say is true. But all of the excitement and buzz at Valve over this surely adds to the probability a little. I don't remember such a sense of dedication and "sticking it to the man" when they decided to develop a Mac version. Plus, it would be a pretty big waste of time to develop Steam and Source for Linux if all they're going to be putting on it is L4D2.

You have to admit that if you consider Linux's market share, before a few months ago, the reality of Steam coming to Linux at all was improbable and against common sense. Yet, here they are doing it. With the attitude they're currently displaying, it wouldn't surprise me if they continue doing the improbable. Hopefully, they're rashness won't bite them in the butt until they've put out a bunch of good games for Linux. :)Quite right. All that noise Valve is making regarding Linux and Windows 8 must account for something. Then there's the simple logic that this is happening after the Mac OS launch by two or so years. More titles have made it on Linux in the mean time for Steam to launch with. Like I said, probability and common sense. In addition to that, thatguruguy, while you may have your source to count market share with (which appears to be irrelevant anyway as Valve seems far more invested with Linux than with Mac OS), my own sources are putting Linux at around 8%, and yes, above Mac OS as well.

sffvba[e0rt
August 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Plus, it would be a pretty big waste of time to develop Steam and Source for Linux if all they're going to be putting on it is L4D2.

Well, if they ported Source there are several titles that we could potentially see. Unfortunately it won't be up to Valve if any other games follow suite.

sirchmeister
August 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM
Don't forget about Steam Greenlight. Greenlight and Steam on Linux seem to be ideas that go hand in hand.

Merk42
August 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well, if they ported Source there are several titles that we could potentially see. Unfortunately it won't be up to Valve if any other games follow suite.

404THIS
Even if Valve supports Linux 110%, porting all Source games with better performance, it still doesn't mean Steam as a whole will have anywhere near the library of available titles as the Windows version.
Valve fully supports Linux, great. What about Activision, Electronic Arts, Capcom, Konami, Rockstar or any of the other dozens of companies listed at the bottom of http://store.steampowered.com/?

vexorian
August 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I really doubt we would see many games at first.

Porting steam and source only for L4D2 is not actually that much work. In comparison to porting also a lot of games.

You really shouldn't expect to have a lot of games in steam this first year. And things will get better only if L4D2 for Linux sells well.

davidvandoren
August 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM

Windows has the biggest share but there are more competitors trying to sell software. This doesn't apply for games only.

7.5% percent for mac doesn't mean that 7.5% will run their games. Only one out of 10 of those macs belong to gamers, same applies for windows. Not every window machine is a play-station. Besides you'll have more competitors on the windows & Mac platform,

1.5% for Linux could mean that every second person who likes to play a more advanced game once in a while will buy their product since they are the only one providing this product.

What matters are the potential customers not the market share of the OS.

1.5% of all pc is a hell of a market and I hope other companies realise this as well.

For example, lightworks video editor is pushing the Linux version faster than the mac version. They probably know that it is much more difficult gaining customers on mac than on Linux. Because they will be the only one offering a really professional video editing suit on Linux there is a great potential for making money .

Lucradia
August 21st, 2012, 02:47 PM
1.5% of all pc is a hell of a market and I hope other companies realise this as well.

Linux counts for a lot of the smartphone market though, via Android. As for Lightworks, you can do a lot with just PiTiVi already. What we really need is post-processing video editing like After Effects. But, as for this "1.5%" you talk about, this mainly is Online-Only systems.

Grenage
August 21st, 2012, 02:53 PM
THIS
Even if Valve supports Linux 110%, porting all Source games with better performance, it still doesn't mean Steam as a whole will have anywhere near the library of available titles as the Windows version.

Of course it doesn't, and of course it won't; what it does provide is a viable platform from which to jump.

sirchmeister
August 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Like I said, don't forget about Steam Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

graabein
August 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Never played it but have you ever given 0 A.D. a spin. Just wondering what people think of it. Seems to have potential from what I've read.

Never tried 0 A.D., but as someone said, I think it's a real time strategy game, like Age Of Empires etc. I remember seeing it and getting excited though. Looks like alpha 10 is the latest version, from May. Don't know how playable it is yet, but I'll see if I can find anything on yotub or vimeo.

Sophont
August 22nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
It's important to realize that porting a game is not the same effort as writing it in the fist place.

The graphical and audio assets only have to be delevoped once - regardles of the number of platforms. And these assets are a major cost for a AAA game.

A lot of the code is engine and in-house code. There will be some compiler and dependency issues porting this – but a lot of this will be platform neutral already - especially if the game is already supported on PC, Consoles and Mac.

If a game is based on OpenGL, uses a fairly portable engine and has already been ported to several platforms - then bringing it to Linux will be relatively cheap.

So even with the small percentage that Liux has and though it wouldn't be worthwhile to develop a costly AAA game primarily for Linux - it might be financially worthwhile to port it to Linux. The target market is small - but so is the cost of bringing it to that platform.

And as has been said above - there's much less competition compared to Windows.

Still this will take a while to play out.

Zeven
August 25th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Windows 8 tells Microsoft every time you install a program (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135010-windows-8-phones-home-tells-microsoft-every-time-you-install-a-program). Perhaps this is something else Valve didn't like about Windows 8, hm?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 25th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Windows 8 tells Microsoft every time you install a program (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135010-windows-8-phones-home-tells-microsoft-every-time-you-install-a-program). Perhaps this is something else Valve didn't like about Windows 8, hm?
if there objective was security and not spying they would use a local database that is updated via windows update
this would prevent dns hacks from replying saying a program is clean when it is malware
would a game installed inside of steam even count? isn't that like installing a app in wine

Lucradia
August 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM

No, Gabe doesn't like Windows 8 due to the fact Microsoft can block installation forcefully if they wanted to. (IE: Disallow the installer to run at all, even with admin rights or as the Administrator account.) This is because of the Windows Marketplace, which is a competitor of Steam, Origin, etc.

forrestcupp
August 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
No, Gabe doesn't like Windows 8 due to the fact Microsoft can block installation forcefully if they wanted to. (IE: Disallow the installer to run at all, even with admin rights or as the Administrator account.) This is because of the Windows Marketplace, which is a competitor of Steam, Origin, etc.

I highly doubt if they could get away with doing that without being completely blasted in an anti-trust lawsuit.

synaptix
August 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I highly doubt if they could get away with doing that without being completely blasted in an anti-trust lawsuit.

Things are different now than in 1998 when the last United States v Microsoft Antitrust lawsuit took place.

Zeven
August 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Apparently it's just FUD (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/windows_8_tells_microsoft_every_time_you_install_a _program/post3), so don't worry about it, guys.

vexorian
August 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
you know that FUD is not really the same as "wrong rumor".

forrestcupp
August 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM
you know that FUD is not really the same as "wrong rumor".

Maybe, but it's still spreading false Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about how Windows 8 works.

Zeven
August 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Seems to me like the two issues are very similar.

Lucradia
August 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Not possible, it's in the new RT / Windows EULA if I recall correctly; if it isn't, they could be.

Lightstar
September 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I love valve

philinux
September 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/09/steam-for-linux-is-coming-next-month.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techdrivein+%28Tech+Drive-in%29

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/09/steam-for-linux-is-coming-next-month.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techdrivein+%28Tech+Drive-in%29

Awesome. Now how long will it be before we get the new, free of charge Black Mesa game?

Sslaxx
September 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Awesome. Now how long will it be before we get the new, free of charge Black Mesa game?
Guess that depends on if or when they add support for Linux to the Source SDK downloads...

Merk42
September 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
"middle of [October]", right... (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time)

synaptix
September 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM
"middle of [October]", right... (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time)

IE: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in October 2013

XD

philinux
September 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/steam-for-linux-beta-testing-starting.html

ELD
September 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
So by the end of the month i reckon the second wave of beta invites will be out, good news.

kio_http
September 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

pompel9
September 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

I like the idea that non-free software will be developed for ubuntu. Can't see anything wrong with this.

The more software companies that invest in making software for ubuntu, the more choices we the users get. And it will attract more people to get ubuntu. Many are tired of windows, and they won't use the a lot of money to purchase mac, that leaves the linux scene with ubuntu in the front. The more people that uses ubuntu the more interested software companies will get to make software for ubuntu. I see this as win-win :)

thatguruguy
September 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.

kio_http
September 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.

I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.

Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.

vexorian
September 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't get the hate on the term GNU/Linux, it has the Linux kernel and it uses GNU's tools. If we were actually not using GNU tools and they weren't so darn useful or critical for the execution of our pretty GUIs, then I would understand so. But they are so robust that it is no wonder they are the base of our whole infraestructure. It is fair to dislike people trying to force you to use that name. But the term GNU/Linux in and on itself is accurate and not offensive.

Anyway, it is good to be able to install non-free software. And people are already installing tons of it in Ubuntu without Steam's help. Also, games are not a core component or a necessary component, so lock-in is not a risk. Nobody really has to play video games, so at leat to me proprietary video games are much less of a concern than a proprietary kernel, development environment or drivers.

Perfect Storm
September 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.

The choice of free will. As long people can choose I don't see a problem. Those who want to run strict FOSS can do so, and those who do not care as long as it works can do so too. Both groups can live under the same roof as long we have both/more options.

mips
September 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.

Is your system 100% FOSS, devoid of any binary blobs, codecs etc?

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.To an extent, I agree with you. I'd hate to see Ubuntu get watered down to the point that it's really no better than Windows with a different face. But even with an influx of proprietary choices, I don't think it will ever get that far.

I don't get the hate on the term GNU/Linux, it has the Linux kernel and it uses GNU's tools. If we were actually not using GNU tools and they weren't so darn useful or critical for the execution of our pretty GUIs, then I would understand so. But they are so robust that it is no wonder they are the base of our whole infraestructure. It is fair to dislike people trying to force you to use that name. But the term GNU/Linux in and on itself is accurate and not offensive.
My problem with it is that it isn't accurate. As a KDE user, I'd say that less than 10% of my whole OS is GNU. Remember that GNU doesn't mean GPL; it means that it's a part of the GNU Project. So if less than 10% of my OS is part of the GNU Project, I don't think it should get half the name when there are so many other parts that take up a bigger piece of the pie. I appreciate GNU. I just don't think it's enough of my OS to get half the name.

But with the existence of things like Android, which uses the Linux kernel, but isn't compatible, I just grudgingly used that term to make clear what I was talking about.

Ji Ruo
September 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Buying games on Steam doesn't bring up any ethical debates for me. Open content would be great but the reality is not many media companies are able (or at least willing) to work that way. I don't have a problem with buying or renting movies either.

ELD
September 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Buying games on Steam doesn't bring up any ethical debates for me. Open content would be great but the reality is not many media companies are able (or at least willing) to work that way. I don't have a problem with buying or renting movies either.

Exactly, it makes me sick people trying to stick their own views down peoples throats.

If you don't like closed source that's fine, but you don't have to go on at other people if they actually like using it.

Trammer
September 28th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Exactly, it makes me sick people trying to stick their own views down peoples throats.

Take it easy, no-one's done that (at least not since your last post). Those people are entitled to their opinions too (not that I agree with them).

Closed beta starts next month: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/beta-late-than-never-3/

susimetsa
September 28th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Some of my thoughts on the matter had to take the form of a blog:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/editorials/2012/09/26/steaming_hot_linux_gamers.html

(my sister drew the penguin pic) ;)

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Is your system 100% FOSS, devoid of any binary blobs, codecs etc?

No, I but I use maximum FOSS software as possible like I stated earlier. I am not like Stallman who wants proprietary software to not exist. In fact (except for the Windows Store lockdown) I support Microsoft's strategy as believe that it should co-exist.

At present my 12.10 system does not have any non free software being used (including drivers) except for codecs and Google Chrome (for pepper flash on youtube only).

What I mean is that I personally would not like Ubuntu to be full of non-free software. i.e I would not encourage users to use Ubuntu as a platform mainly to run proprietary software. i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.

The problem with a non-free environment is that some vendors can use aggressive marketing strategies. Microsoft in general offers good support for there products and I appreciate that they haven't killed XP the moment Vista and 7 came out in terms of security updates. Apple on the other hand really wants to dictate you. Lets say you have an iPhone and want to develop apps, you need a Mac, you need to deploy via the Apple Store. Now when that mac is a couple of years old you need a new one to run the latest Mac OS X. If you stick with the old, you don't get security updates and development tools for newer iOS versions. So you are forced to buy a new Mac even though the old one is theoretically able to run the new software. Its really unfair to consumers and developers to have the deployment of your iOS app controlled by Apple. The store can exist but side loading should be possible too.

AllRadioisDead
September 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM
No, I but I use maximum FOSS software as possible like I stated earlier. I am not like Stallman who wants proprietary software to not exist. In fact (except for the Windows Store lockdown) I support Microsoft's strategy as believe that it should co-exist.

At present my 12.10 system does not have any non free software being used (including drivers) except for codecs and Google Chrome (for pepper flash on youtube only).

What I mean is that I personally would not like Ubuntu to be full of non-free software. i.e I would not encourage users to use Ubuntu as a platform mainly to run proprietary software. i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.

The problem with a non-free environment is that some vendors can use aggressive marketing strategies. Microsoft in general offers good support for there products and I appreciate that they haven't killed XP the moment Vista and 7 came out in terms of security updates. Apple on the other hand really wants to dictate you. Lets say you have an iPhone and want to develop apps, you need a Mac, you need to deploy via the Apple Store. Now when that mac is a couple of years old you need a new one to run the latest Mac OS X. If you stick with the old, you don't get security updates and development tools for newer iOS versions. So you are forced to buy a new Mac even though the old one is theoretically able to run the new software. Its really unfair to consumers and developers to have the deployment of your iOS app controlled by Apple. The store can exist but side loading should be possible too.

Um, Photoshop on Linux would not hinder Gimp's development. GIMP exists outside of the Linux world, it's quite popular. Not everyone can afford Adobe Photoshop.

Photoshop on Linux would give users choice, and actually offer competition which encourages development.

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Um, Photoshop on Linux would not hinder Gimp's development. GIMP exists outside of the Linux world, it's quite popular. Not everyone can afford Adobe Photoshop.

Photoshop on Linux would give users choice, and actually offer competition which encourages development.

Hmm people don't seem to be interpreting what I am saying correctly. That was a hypothetical example. I don't mean it like "Photoshop on Linux". I mean 99% of users opting for Photoshop instead of Gimp on Linux would be a bad thing.

Or even like Ms office on Linux (I know it is not likely no need to flood me with comments about that not happening) would hinder the development of Libreoffice and Calligra.

vexorian
September 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
It will only be a good thing for LibreOffice and GIMP if they have to compete with MSO and Photoshop. Competition is always good for everyone.

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM
i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.

Lol. I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree with the heart of it. But you're digging yourself in a hole by using examples like that. Lot's of people would see that and argue fiercely that Gimp is not good enough to do the job. :)

I know what you're trying to say, though. What I think you're trying to say is that you don't have a problem with proprietary software when it's needed, but you would hate to see Ubuntu turn into a platform where it has just become another OS where the majority of the software people use is proprietary, and they don't care about FOSS at all. I agree that would be very sad if that happened. But I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ubuntu may become more mainstream and be one of the most watered down distros, but the heart of the community will never forsake FOSS, like Android did with the Linux kernel.

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Lol. I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree with the heart of it. But you're digging yourself in a hole by using examples like that. Lot's of people would see that and argue fiercely that Gimp is not good enough to do the job. :)

I know what you're trying to say, though. What I think you're trying to say is that you don't have a problem with proprietary software when it's needed, but you would hate to see Ubuntu turn into a platform where it has just become another OS where the majority of the software people use is proprietary, and they don't care about FOSS at all. I agree that would be very sad if that happened. But I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ubuntu may become more mainstream and be one of the most watered down distros, but the heart of the community will never forsake FOSS, like Android did with the Linux kernel.

I agree but if Ubuntu does become popular and gain around 20% market share there is a large possibility that loads of these users chose Ubuntu because they like its interface or something and might not even know anything about source code, licenses etc. Then proprietary software vendors will seize this opportunity and release a lot of non free software for Ubuntu. If this happens, personally I would not like it. The problem is most people who care about free software already use Ubuntu and other distros. If Ubuntu were to become more popular there is a high probability that many users would not care at all about FOSS.

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM
But there are a lot of those users who would never come to Ubuntu if there weren't Linux versions of the proprietary software they need to use. And there is a high probability that those people in that situation who might come to Ubuntu because of the user interface would be greatly exposed to the concept of Free Software where they never would at all, otherwise.

You even said yourself that it's ok to use proprietary software when needed, though I suspect that you may have said that to prevent a thrashing. :)

There are a lot more instances than you think that people would need to use proprietary software. Not everyone only uses their computer just to get on the internet and check their Facebook and email.

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 03:33 PM
But there are a lot of those users who would never come to Ubuntu if there weren't Linux versions of the proprietary software they need to use. And there is a high probability that those people in that situation who might come to Ubuntu because of the user interface would be greatly exposed to the concept of Free Software where they never would at all, otherwise.

You even said yourself that it's ok to use proprietary software when needed, though I suspect that you may have said that to prevent a thrashing. :)

There are a lot more instances than you think that people would need to use proprietary software. Not everyone only uses their computer just to get on the internet and check their Facebook and email.

No, I have nothing against non-free and free software existing. But I am against, policies that interfere with free software development and non-free software that is just plain evil like iOS.

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
No, I have nothing against non-free and free software existing. But I am against, policies that interfere with free software development and non-free software that is just plain evil like iOS.

Since Ubuntu itself is FOSS, I don't think you have to worry about any policies like that here.

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Since Ubuntu itself is FOSS, I don't think you have to worry about any policies like that here.

I'm not saying that I am worrying but it can happen in different ways. I do not welcome lets say a 3rd party app store for Ubuntu with evil policies, software plagued with DRM etc.

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'm not saying that I am worrying but it can happen in different ways. I do not welcome lets say a 3rd party app store for Ubuntu with evil policies, software plagued with DRM etc.
Lol. Well, nobody has to welcome it, but that's out of anyone's control. Anyone is allowed to do what they want with their software as long as it doesn't break the law. And some people go ahead and do what they want with their software even though it does break the law.

Basically, you don't have to like it, but if it happens, nobody can stop it. There are a lot of things in this world that I don't like that are out of my control.

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Lol. Well, nobody has to welcome it, but that's out of anyone's control. Anyone is allowed to do what they want with their software as long as it doesn't break the law. And some people go ahead and do what they want with their software even though it does break the law.

Basically, you don't have to like it, but if it happens, nobody can stop it. There are a lot of things in this world that I don't like that are out of my control.

I know that it is out of control and that users and developers can do what they want. I'm just saying that stuff like DRM and Apple's policy on locking iOS, etc are unethical practices.

KiwiNZ
September 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I know that it is out of control and that users and developers can do what they want. I'm just saying that stuff like DRM and Apple's policy on locking iOS, etc are unethical practices.

This thread is not about Apple, please return to topic

kio_http
September 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
This thread is not about Apple, please return to topic

Ok, but I didn't really mean to point fingers at Apple or anything. Its more like for example if someone developed something like a Windows 8 start screen for ubuntu, made an API for it and controlled what could run on that start screen by an Apple alike store validation process.

KiwiNZ
September 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Steam or anything like being ported to Linux is actually a good thing and may help Linux move beyond the +/- 1% .

mips
September 28th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Ok, but I didn't really mean to point fingers at Apple or anything. Its more like for example if someone developed something like a Windows 8 start screen for ubuntu, made an API for it and controlled what could run on that start screen by an Apple alike store validation process.

Oh just get over it already, you have choices just like everybody else. Use it, don't use it but don't dictate to others what they can & cannot do ;)

I actually welcome this just like I would welcome MS-Office or Photoshop being ported and made available on Linux. If you wanna compete then make a better product.

Trammer
September 29th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Oh just get over it already, you have choices just like everybody else. Use it, don't use it but don't dictate to others what they can & cannot do ;)

Ironically he actually never actually told anyone what to do (just wrote about how he felt) and you are now explicitly telling him what not to do... ;-)

I actually welcome this just like I would welcome MS-Office or Photoshop being ported and made available on Linux. If you wanna compete then make a better product.

I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.

susimetsa
September 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'm looking forward to Steam, and I'd be completely at peace with MS Office on Linux, but to be honest I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for it when they already have Open Office or Libre Office.
I agree with you there. I'm forced to use Windows 7 as my OS at work, but I've still installed Libre Office on it and work solely on it, instead of MS Office. Why? Because I use Libre Office at home and don't want to play around with two different programs when I don't have to.

But for programs like Steam (and the games it brings) there are no Linux alternatives. Also, Gimp has never been as easy to use as Photoshop, Corel's Paint Shop Photo etc. (though Gimp has some better functions as well).

Overall, I see no problem using a mix of free and proprietary programs, as long as they allow me to do what I want to do.

PaulInBHC
September 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Desura is a game client for linux, windows and mac games.

Ubun2to
September 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Desura is a game client for linux, windows and mac games.

But lacks the backing that Steam has by the big box developers.

AllRadioisDead
September 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM

Simmer down there Stallman.

forrestcupp
September 30th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Simmer down there Stallman.

No. Stallman would never say that he has nothing against non-free and free software existing. He would say something more along the lines of "all non-free software developers should be thrown in prison for life."

Rukiri
September 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Ironically he actually never actually told anyone what to do (just wrote about how he felt) and you are now explicitly telling him what not to do... ;-)

Business would drop Libre for MS any day of the week, I personally prefer MS Office to Open/Libre Office. But MS Office runs perfectly fine in wine so it doesn't need to be ported, however I hope Office 2013 isn't metro only...

It's not like Photoshop and Gimp where there is a huge difference in performance and actual use though.

3rdalbum
September 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I welcome Steam's APIs, which many game developers find useful for implementing achievements, cloud saves and so forth. It will make it a little easier to port games to Linux.

I also welcome the concept of an all-distro game store and the simplicity of distribution that will make Linux a little more welcoming for game publishers.

I also welcome the message of "Linux is ready for gaming" that Steam brings. Oh, and the Source engine; that will also aid in porting games.

However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.

susimetsa
September 30th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.
Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.

mips
September 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
However, I just installed a game yesterday onto Windows that requires Steam. First it had to update Steam in order to install the game. Then, Steam decided that it absolutely had to start updating the game itself. I tried to cancel this as I only have 4 gigabytes of download per month, but it turns out I can't even play the game at all until the update has finished.

Which would take over a day on my mobile broadband connection. And cost more than what I paid for the game.

If Steam is going to be like this on Linux, then I honestly won't buy any games that use Steam.

That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.

Going a bit OT, but I must say that I'm surprised that there are still countries with broadband connections with set download limits. Over here, both lined and mobile connections are limited by their transfer speed only.

Unfortunately that is a reality for some.

Ji Ruo
September 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM

If it's a single player game, you have the option of disconnecting the internet, then starting Steam in offline mode. You should be able to use it as it's been shipped.

I feel your pain, I was on prepaid mobile broadband for a couple of years. 12GB for $150... needless to say I was not doing much gaming back then.

Oh and if you know someone with the game and a good internet connection, you can copy the folder from them and paste it into your pc and it will be fully updated. A quick online search will usually yield the name of the folder to copy.

Trammer
October 1st, 2012, 05:11 AM

A fairly competitive market in Australia means that those limits are ever increasing, and some ISPs already offer unlimited plans. Hopefully data caps eventually disappear.

Unfortunately Australia is large and sparsely populated, and some people aren't near the infrastructure they need. I guess 3rd is using mobile data from mobile phone towers, not broadband.

3rd, if you've been on the same plan for a while it's worth having another look around. Even just among the bigger ISPs (Telstra, Internode, iiNet, TPG, Optus) you can get mobile data at 9GB/$35, or 18GB/$80, with no contract. (I won't link, because I don't want to be accused of spamming, but have a look around)

That's the nature of steam, it does not suite users with limited bandwidth.

Not bandwidth - data quota ;-)

philinux
October 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/steam-for-linux-to-arrive-in-a-few-days?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Soon.

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/steam-for-linux-to-arrive-in-a-few-days?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Soon.

Soon for 1000 people. In 2 or 3 years for everyone else. :)

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM

Like sand through the hour glass,
The days will surely pass.
And in the coming dawn,
Steam games shall be the norm.

alexfish
October 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Like sand through the hour glass,
The days will surely pass.
And in the coming dawn,
Steam games shall be the norm.

That be a strange glass of Steam your holding , time you went back to coffee "as in beans"
:lolflag:

Ji Ruo
October 2nd, 2012, 02:19 AM
I propose that the rest of this thread is written as a series of haikus

The lucky 1000
kill zombies with impunity;
sands through the hourglass.

mamamia88
October 2nd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Well if developers could design a game to work on every platform relatively easily or just the one platform I don't know why they would bother only developing for windows only. With steam being the major player in pc gaming right now and recently available on mac and linux here's hoping this actually changes something.

doorknob60
October 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM

Uhh, I don't know where "over here" is, but it's increasingly prevalent in the US. Many ISPs here have caps, and some that didn't, are now adding them. They usually range anywhere from 100 to 250 GB, but they are here, and it is possible to go over (I've gone over my 150 a few times, and back when it used to be 100, plenty of times then).

BslBryan
October 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Just a few more days to wait.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/steam-for-linux-to-arrive-in-a-few-days

3rdalbum
October 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
If it's a single player game, you have the option of disconnecting the internet, then starting Steam in offline mode. You should be able to use it as it's been shipped.

"Requires online activation"

I haven't tried actually disconnecting the phone while installing the game. That might work. Still it's dumb to have to do that.

Oh and if you know someone with the game and a good internet connection, you can copy the folder from them and paste it into your pc and it will be fully updated. A quick online search will usually yield the name of the folder to copy.

Thanks for the tip (and that's a really good tip), but I know nobody who does PC gaming.

3rd, if you've been on the same plan for a while it's worth having another look around. Even just among the bigger ISPs (Telstra, Internode, iiNet, TPG, Optus) you can get mobile data at 9GB/$35, or 18GB/$80, with no contract.

Yes, I'm using phone tethering with prepaid Amaysim Unlimited, that's why I have 4 gigs of data. I can't really justify to my partner that I spend $50 on a mobile broadband stick, plus go on a mobile data plan of $35 a month, just for a casual bit of gaming. It's casual for me. It would have to be, because at mobile broadband data rates it'll take me days to download the updates for the game!

Still, a good suggestion. I probably won't take it, though - the purse-strings will be tight until we've saved up for a home, and then at that point I'll be shopping around for ADSL or wired NBN plans :-)

Artemis3
October 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM

I think February 2013 is the target for release. Not sure about betas.

ISPs implementing caps are bad, it's their cheat to offer higher speeds while they themselves don't improve their links much.

1mbps unlimited is like 300g a month, so advertise 10mbps and write in very small letters there is a 300g cap... Presto! No investment and they "look" competitive...

AllRadioisDead
October 4th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I think February 2013 is the target for release. Not sure about betas.

ISPs implementing caps are bad, it's their cheat to offer higher speeds while they themselves don't improve their links much.

1mbps unlimited is like 300g a month, so advertise 10mbps and write in very small letters there is a 300g cap... Presto! No investment and they "look" competitive...

You clearly haven't heard of Valve time (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time).

Zeven
October 6th, 2012, 02:03 AM
You clearly haven't heard of Valve time (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time).

I do very much hope Reverse Valve Time (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time#Reverse_Valve_Time) is at work this time.

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:17 PM
This is so awesome that Steam is coming to Ubuntu.

FangLargo
October 23rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
I agree. But I can hope, can't I? The trend is moving away from DRM. Apple is the first big company to make a big move (with their music service). DRM doesn't add any value. Personally, I'd rather see that money invested into more levels or characters or expansions. But that's just MHO.

Just saying, DRM isn't meant to add value. It's supposed to make the games more worthwhile for publishers.

But I agree. DRM is horrid, especially when it's over the top. Take EA. Their love affair with SecuROM used to be quite distasteful, and you won't ever catch me buying one of their games again.

I think Steam has it relatively just right. It stops me from copying my games for other people, and that's about it. I can play is online, offline, and I can move it around on a harddrive if I have to. So I'm not so bothered about Steam's DRM.

Valve, you've done something right again.

Ubun2to
October 24th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Just saying, DRM isn't meant to add value. It's supposed to make the games more worthwhile for publishers.

But I agree. DRM is horrid, especially when it's over the top. Take EA. Their love affair with SecuROM used to be quite distasteful, and you won't ever catch me buying one of their games again.

I think Steam has it relatively just right. It stops me from copying my games for other people, and that's about it. I can play is online, offline, and I can move it around on a harddrive if I have to. So I'm not so bothered about Steam's DRM.

Valve, you've done something right again.

I am hooked on the SimCity series, and have been for god knows how long. I hope they continue to release games on Steam-I will literally wait a year if it takes that long to publish it there, where the DRM is a 3 step process (1. login, 2. purchase/download, 3. stay up all night playing until you collapse from exhaustion).

mips
October 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I am hooked on the SimCity series, and have been for god knows how long. I hope they continue to release games on Steam-I will literally wait a year if it takes that long to publish it there, where the DRM is a 3 step process (1. login, 2. purchase/download, 3. stay up all night playing until you collapse from exhaustion).

Steams DRM is not bad, probably one of the better ones out there compared to some of the stuff I have encountered. You don't even have to login to play your games offline, login is only required for purchases and online play. You can also copy over a mates entire steam folder to save time downloading and just use your own login which is cool.

Grenage
October 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Yup. Steam is so convenient, and so relaxed, that if a game is not available on it, I rarely bother buying it.

It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with BF:3 - but just one.

Ubun2to
October 25th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Yup. Steam is so convenient, and so relaxed, that if a game is not available on it, I rarely bother buying it.

It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with BF:3 - but just one.

The only reason I have ever used non-Steam games is because the DRM was extremely limited due to it being on a CD. But, I digitized my library on Amazon.com, and Amazon has no real DRM besides sign in and download, which I am also perfectly fine with. Not sure about newer games on Amazon, as the library I digitized was over 5 years old and nearly unplayable because of disk scratches. Either way, it's a good system.

vexorian
October 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
DRM removes value.

Anyway, I don't see anything negative about Steam getting ported to Linux/GNU. It is not like people were not playing DRM-ed games in WINE already. People who want to keep their computers 100% free can just choose not to install steam.

Ubuntu already has closed codecs and DRM. And at least steam does not turn your desktop search into adware.

philinux
October 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/valve-to-launch-steam-linux-beta-at-uds?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

sffvba[e0rt
October 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/valve-to-launch-steam-linux-beta-at-uds?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Now that the wife has inherited my gaming rig I seriously have to whip the old one back into shape in preparation... If half the games Valve has made gets ported early that is more than enough to keep me busy for way to long (wouldn't it be ironic if HL2 Episode 3 came out as a Linux exclusive... not going to happen but imagine...)

Ubun2to
October 27th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Portal on Linux? For real? Finally, we have good games besides Minecraft that we can play the day away on!

philinux
November 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
http://www.iloveubuntu.net/valves-drew-bliss-uds-r-ubuntu-was-very-obvious-choice

Welly Wu
December 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I downloaded and I installed Steam for Linux client and I setup my GUFW to allow the network ports so that I can connect to the Steam network. I am waiting for my invite. I applied for an invitation a few weeks ago.

Has anyone here gotten an invite in their e-mail inbox from Steam?

I am thinking that with the upcoming Christmas and New Year's Day holidays, Valve will send out more invitations to those that applied. I am hoping that they will invite me pretty soon.

I want to play some PC games using Steam for Linux, but I don't know which ones are interesting. I looked at the list of available PC games and I don't know which ones are good. I am looking for first person shooters and turn-based strategy games.

This is good news for Ubuntu users. I might be able to minimize the amount of time I use Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit now that Ubuntu is developing as a solid alternative that is free, open, and secure.

Ji Ruo
December 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Yes I just received my invite, I am probably one of the few interested Linux users who had not installed the beta yet :P

However only a few things on Steam are free, and it's definitely not open. Security they have done a reasonable job so far, just one known breach (their forums a year ago).

sffvba[e0rt
December 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Yes I just received my invite, I am probably one of the few interested Linux users who had not installed the beta yet :P

However only a few things on Steam are free, and it's definitely not open. Security they have done a reasonable job so far, just one known breach (their forums a year ago).

Steam is free.

I also finally got an invite (then again, I installed it the day it became available so getting an invite is not really something you have to wait for).

(*hint* - See the gaming and leisure section**)

mythic97
December 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Old news I am in the beta and there's quite a few ways to get steam now

Ubun2to
December 9th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I downloaded and I installed Steam for Linux client and I setup my GUFW to allow the network ports so that I can connect to the Steam network. I am waiting for my invite. I applied for an invitation a few weeks ago.

Has anyone here gotten an invite in their e-mail inbox from Steam?

I am thinking that with the upcoming Christmas and New Year's Day holidays, Valve will send out more invitations to those that applied. I am hoping that they will invite me pretty soon.

I want to play some PC games using Steam for Linux, but I don't know which ones are interesting. I looked at the list of available PC games and I don't know which ones are good. I am looking for first person shooters and turn-based strategy games.

This is good news for Ubuntu users. I might be able to minimize the amount of time I use Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit now that Ubuntu is developing as a solid alternative that is free, open, and secure.

Got my invite. TF2 is pretty good in my opinion. Only problem is that I need a separate drive to make sure I will have enough space on my SSD for anything else I install.

Ji Ruo
December 9th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Steam is free.

I also finally got an invite (then again, I installed it the day it became available so getting an invite is not really something you have to wait for).

(*hint* - See the gaming and leisure section**)

Steam has always been free as in beer. The games however are a different story.

I was one of the maybe half-dozen people who waited for an invite (or failing that an official release) instead of just downloading the .deb.

pompel9
December 9th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Perhaps it's time to rename this topic. It's very clear that steam wont be released this year.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 9th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Perhaps it's time to rename this topic. It's very clear that steam wont be released this year.
maybe they will make it a Christmas present

pompel9
December 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM
maybe they will make it a Christmas present

That would have been cool :cool:

But after hearing that there are so many bug that needs working on, I seriously doubt it.

Ubun2to
December 10th, 2012, 02:23 AM
That would have been cool :cool:

But after hearing that there are so many bug that needs working on, I seriously doubt it.

I have noticed Big Picture mode is terrible, but that is because it is SLOW. Not good on Intel graphics.
Other than that, I do not really see many bugs in my testing. But then again, the only game I have that is on Linux so far is TF2.