PDA

View Full Version : Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Kilz
July 29th, 2007, 01:01 AM
It's a no-go in Gutsy. And Update Manager now wants to install a newer version of nspluginwrapper, but an error occurs.
EDIT: I think that I am posting in the thread for the wrong script.
This thread deals mainly with Firefox32 and the 32bit plugins the Firefox32 script installs. I could have told you that the nspluginwrapper script would not work on Gutsy. Gutsy has its own nspluginwrapper in its repositories.
If Flash or Nspluginwrapper dose not work for you in Gutsy, FILE A BUG REPORT ON LAUNCHPAD! That way the developers can get it working for everyone by the release (that is still far, far, away).

sci-fi guy
July 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM
How do I remove the nspluginwrapper installed by your script? apt-get remove?
EDIT: Nevermind. I got removed it with Synaptic, and the Update Manager worked.

TruthlessHero
July 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I tried using the Browser Install Script. I'm stuck where the Java license comes up - don't know how to continue.

Weevie
July 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm a noob and found that the script worked brilliantly!

Thank you so much,

Kilz
July 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I tried using the Browser Install Script. I'm stuck where the Java license comes up - don't know how to continue.

You can use the arrow keys to navigate and press enter to select.

spur
July 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I downloaded from this line

and got hte nspluginwarapper archive not the script to install the browser. I ran that.
I just checked and the link gave me the script, But I don't need it now as I have the pluginwarapper working fine amd already had java working.
I dont kmow what happened with the download.
Thanks for your perserverence with this. It is appreciated.

To update and tidy off loose ends I decided to use the script and the new one worked fine. FYI I'm using Feisty with a AMD 4200+ chip and 3 gigs of ram.
Thanks again for your help.:lolflag:

Sayers
July 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Great Job. I'm using the auto-install right now. I'll see if it works

saru411
July 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
hi kills. im running kubuntu 7.04 and have a fresh install. i attempted to install your script package and i believe it worked, although i did not see the list of operations in konsole like i normally do in terminal(ive been using ubuntu before this install). my problem comes from trying to install the firefox deb. im unsure of how to dl it, where konqueror dls it to, and how to run it in kubuntu. thanks for the help

jsa13
July 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I had to delete the ~/.mozilla/{...}/plugins.dat to get any plugins to function. But after that it was fantastic - you saved me from running SUSE or kludgy VM solutions! Thanks so much.

Kilz
July 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
hi kills. im running kubuntu 7.04 and have a fresh install. i attempted to install your script package and i believe it worked, although i did not see the list of operations in konsole like i normally do in terminal(ive been using ubuntu before this install). my problem comes from trying to install the firefox deb. im unsure of how to dl it, where konqueror dls it to, and how to run it in kubuntu. thanks for the help

Im not really sure where konqueror downloads anything to, I love gnome. Doesnt it have a save file to option where you can choose the location?
Did you download the auto install script, or are you following the mostly manual howto?

Neo Tom Bombadil
August 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hello, I installed ia32 swift weasel using your bash script in 64bit feisty with everything. (flash and java was very easy) I was wondering how I can update swift weasel after its installed in this way. I have 2.0.0.4 and a now there is 2.0.0.6, Do I just install the .deb over the other one? This is probably explained somewhere in this thread but I will post my question anyways. :lolflag: !EDIT! I think i figured out the problem myself, the package swiftweasel32-2.0.0.6_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb has not been made because it is still in pre-release, i have the older swiftweasel32-2.0.0.4_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb installed i gather swiftweasel32-2.0.0.5_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb has bugs so i guess i can wait, please tell me if im right or if theres a work around, thanks. (I'd also like to thank the developer of this project ahead of time for forking such a good browser and kilz for helping people.)

Kilz
August 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hello, I installed ia32 swift weasel using your bash script in 64bit feisty with everything. (flash and java was very easy) I was wondering how I can update swift weasel after its installed in this way. I have 2.0.0.4 and a now there is 2.0.0.6, Do I just install the .deb over the other one? This is probably explained somewhere in this thread but I will post my question anyways. :lolflag: !EDIT! I think i figured out the problem myself, the package swiftweasel32-2.0.0.6_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb has not been made because it is still in pre-release, i have the older swiftweasel32-2.0.0.4_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb installed i gather swiftweasel32-2.0.0.5_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb has bugs so i guess i can wait, please tell me if im right or if theres a work around, thanks. (I'd also like to thank the developer of this project ahead of time for forking such a good browser and kilz for helping people.)

I would just install the new deb and let it replace the old version
swiftweasel32-2.0.0.5_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb - is a 32bit browser that installs to your amd64 os for the 64bit intel processors.
swiftweasel-2.0.0.6pre_nocona-64bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb is a 64bit browser that installs to your amd64 os for the 64bit intel processors. But its a pre or beta release.
swiftweasel-2.0.0.6pre_pentium-4_ubuntu-i386.deb? is a 32bit browser for a 32bit os.

shakujou
August 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
I just installed the script for Feisty, and it look liked it finished, but I was under the impression that once it had done so, it would delete the folder that I extracted to the desktop along with finishing.

The real problem though, is that I thought that flash player would work after running this. So things like youtube and other sites still aren't working...

Kilz
August 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
I just installed the script for Feisty, and it look liked it finished, but I was under the impression that once it had done so, it would delete the folder that I extracted to the desktop along with finishing.

The real problem though, is that I thought that flash player would work after running this. So things like youtube and other sites still aren't working...

The new script uses a folder in your /temp directory. Are you using Firefox32 to go to Youtube? Secondly, have you closed all other browsers first before starting Firefox32 ?

mcherry
August 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
This script worked like a charm. Just installed FF32 on Feisty and everything appears to be working as advertised.

Thanks a million.

neuralzen
August 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Heya, firstly, thanks for the awesome script, and the dutiful help you've given, I really can't express enough thanks!

But I've run into some trouble and need some assistance. Originally, I was running the 64 bit version of FF on feisty_64 and had everything working (flash with nswrapper) except for java. I found this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?action=show&redirect=FirefoxAMD64FlashJava) website and followed the instructions to get a 32bit install of firefox in my /usr/local/firefox32 directory. Everything worked great on that version of FF, except for the mplayer plugin, which shows a gray screen with a MPlayer Plugin, and all it does is buffer, but never plays, and never changes from the gray screen.

I tried changing the permissions on the plugins directory, to no avail, and I tried running your script, which also did not fix the issue. The about:plugins page shows that the plugin is indeed installed and enabled, just broken I guess. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks a ton!

-NZ

aaaantoine
August 4th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I had compiz extra and normal desktop effects but i've turned off and removed those yet I still don't get any sound. I've made sure i've got all the updates for feisty, java works fine and i get sound but still theres no sound from flash

I have the same symptoms as _tigg_, but I've never installed compiz. I have sound in Java, but no sound in Flash. I tried the chmod command listed in the OP. Got anything else for me? :)

I wouldn't mind the absence of sound... If it weren't for lousy YouTube... Oh, and Homestar Runner. You gotta have Homestar Runner (http://www.homestarrunner.com).

Kilz
August 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Heya, firstly, thanks for the awesome script, and the dutiful help you've given, I really can't express enough thanks!

But I've run into some trouble and need some assistance. Originally, I was running the 64 bit version of FF on feisty_64 and had everything working (flash with nswrapper) except for java. I found this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?action=show&redirect=FirefoxAMD64FlashJava) website and followed the instructions to get a 32bit install of firefox in my /usr/local/firefox32 directory. Everything worked great on that version of FF, except for the mplayer plugin, which shows a gray screen with a MPlayer Plugin, and all it does is buffer, but never plays, and never changes from the gray screen.

I tried changing the permissions on the plugins directory, to no avail, and I tried running your script, which also did not fix the issue. The about:plugins page shows that the plugin is indeed installed and enabled, just broken I guess. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks a ton!

-NZ

What script did you run? What options did you select in the script?

Kilz
August 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM
I have the same symptoms as _tigg_, but I've never installed compiz. I have sound in Java, but no sound in Flash. I tried the chmod command listed in the OP. Got anything else for me? :)

I wouldn't mind the absence of sound... If it weren't for lousy YouTube... Oh, and Homestar Runner. You gotta have Homestar Runner (http://www.homestarrunner.com).

You posted the problem (post 971) but must have missed the solution. Please read post 972 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3051825&postcount=972). As you see in post 976 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3056328&postcount=976) that the sound was fixed.
After reading those posts, and trying the fixes. If the problem remains , post exactly what you have done to fix the problem so we dont duplicate actions.

aaaantoine
August 5th, 2007, 04:36 AM
You posted the problem (post 971) but must have missed the solution. Please read post 972 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3051825&postcount=972). As you see in post 976 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3056328&postcount=976) that the sound was fixed.
After reading those posts, and trying the fixes. If the problem remains , post exactly what you have done to fix the problem so we dont duplicate actions.

Right. Sorry about that.

I ran the Feisty script, and I believe I tried every step related to Flash in the OP, including the troubleshooting section at the end. I tried these steps a few times over.

Additionally, I tried:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
sudo mkdir -p /tmp/.esd/
sudo touch /tmp/.esd/socket

Source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=204022)

And, in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc, I set:

FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"

(Source forgotten)

I've also tried to run "aoss firefox", but that loads my 64-bit browser unless I already have a 32-bit browser window open. And even though running "firefox32" opens a browser window, attempting to run "aoss firefox32" gives me:

/bin/sh: Can't open firefox32

I also began to install PulseAudio for the purpose of making Flash sound work, but their "libflashsupport" code is 32-bit only -- the .deb won't install on my PC.

As I may have said before, I have confirmed that sound works elsewhere on the system, including in Java applets in the Firefox browser.

questpro
August 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thanx a lot for the author. Its working 100%. Really, a great tutorial.

zuzuzzzip
August 5th, 2007, 06:59 PM
hmm whenever i start firefox32, my sound stops in rhythmbox, rhythmbox crashes, pc gets laggy and i need to restart X...

It's a problem with my sound changing to 32bit or something with alsa obviously. But what to do so it works in both worlds?

Ozdemon
August 7th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Installed this the other day and worked great. Just tried again on another machine, but couldn't d/l Firefox deb because link is broken (to Comcast).

Would be grateful if link could be repaired because unless my hand is held I AM SCARED and HAVE NO IDEA. :)

EDIT - UPDATE
I used synaptic to completely remove my originally installed Firefox. Then tried a re-install of Firefox with synaptic. No flash. I am obviously doing something wrong. In summary, I have run the script, tried to d/l the firefox deb, couldn't because of a broken link, completely removed my firefox, re-installed.

So, for anyone who has the patience, could you please tell me what to do next as the PC is a birthday present for the kids and they won't be happy if flash doesn't work.

RavanH
August 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Kilz,

Iv'e reported about this before but as I had to redo much of this tutorial, I encountered it again. So now with some more detail about the issue:

Feisty
Feisty will require you to do some extra setup. You do not have to do this if you are installing to Dapper or Edgy.
Download the gtk-qt-engine package (http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gtk-qt-engine/gtk-qt-engine_0.71~svn20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) to your desktop.
Open a terminal

cd ~/Desktop
sudo dpkg -x gtk-qt-engine_0.71~svn20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ~/Desktop
sudo cp ~/Desktop/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/* /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0
sudo mkdir /usr/lib32/kde3
sudo cp ~/Desktop/usr/lib/kde3/* /usr/lib32/kde3
sudo rm -rfd ~/Desktop/usr

During this extra step (above) my desktop gets chmodded to root ownership... Not what we want, is it? To be exact: immediately after this command
sudo dpkg -x gtk-qt-engine_0.71~svn20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ~/Desktop my Desktop folder gets that pretty lock symbol on it ;)

Now restoring ownership is easily done by
sudo chown -R <my_username>:users ./ but I just wondered: "Is there something wrong with my setup, am I doing something wrong during the tutorial or should the above script be changed?"

Ayway, thanks for this excellent write-up!

Kilz
August 7th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Hi Kilz,

Iv'e reported about this before but as I had to redo much of this tutorial, I encountered it again. So now with some more detail about the issue:

During this extra step (above) my desktop gets chmodded to root ownership... Not what we want, is it? To be exact: immediately after this command
sudo dpkg -x gtk-qt-engine_0.71~svn20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ~/Desktop my Desktop folder gets that pretty lock symbol on it ;)

Now restoring ownership is easily done by
sudo chown -R <my_username>:users ./ but I just wondered: "Is there something wrong with my setup, am I doing something wrong during the tutorial or should the above script be changed?"

Ayway, thanks for this excellent write-up!

I think its just how you are choosing to extract it. You may consider placing the deb file in a folder that can be deleted, or simply right clicking on the file and choosing Extract Here. Perhaps a trailing / would work also
sudo dpkg -x gtk-qt-engine_0.71~svn20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ~/Desktop/

You might also want to look in the common problem section for the appearance sub section ,it has a ia32 package that may do the exact thing you are doing above.

Kilz
August 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Installed this the other day and worked great. Just tried again on another machine, but couldn't d/l Firefox deb because link is broken (to Comcast).

Would be grateful if link could be repaired because unless my hand is held I AM SCARED and HAVE NO IDEA. :)

EDIT - UPDATE
I used synaptic to completely remove my originally installed Firefox. Then tried a re-install of Firefox with synaptic. No flash. I am obviously doing something wrong. In summary, I have run the script, tried to d/l the firefox deb, couldn't because of a broken link, completely removed my firefox, re-installed.

So, for anyone who has the patience, could you please tell me what to do next as the PC is a birthday present for the kids and they won't be happy if flash doesn't work.

If you have ran the script, is there a Applications >Internet >Firefox32 Web Browser on your Applications menu? If not its possible you you were trying to install while the packages were getting updated. Please download the new script and install that one.

pjssilva
August 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hello,

I am running Feisty Fawn.

Thanks for the script. I worked quite well, but it did no work with my bank... :-(

If you go to the page:

https://www2.bancobrasil.com.br/aapf/login.jsp?aapf.IDH=sim

You'll see that the java applet doesn't load (it complains of some missing libraries, if you want I can send more information).

At the end I have decided to install firefox32 in a different manner.

1) I downloaded and installed the sun-java5-jre fromi386 feisty with dpkg -i --force-architecture

2) I installed the ia32-sun-java5-bin package

3) I made a link from /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

Now it works.

best,

Paulo

pjssilva
August 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I am replying to my self to correct my "script". In step (1) above I downloaded and installed the following packages from Feisty Fawn:

sun-java5-bin_1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
sun-java5-jre_1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2_all.deb
sun-java5-plugin_1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2_i386.deb

And not only the sun-java5-jre_1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2_all.deb package as I said before.

best,

Paulo

aaaantoine
August 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Kilz,

I don't know the significance of this, but I didn't have esd installed previously. I want to try your script again. Would it hurt to run it after it's already been run?

Kilz
August 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Kilz,

I don't know the significance of this, but I didn't have esd installed previously. I want to try your script again. Would it hurt to run it after it's already been run?

nope, it will just write over what is already done.

Ingebeeldvriendje
August 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Heys,

Thank you for the script! It worked perfectlly. Any idea how you can change the language of the browser? I would like a dutch firefox

:)

Greets, Michel

Kilz
August 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Please take a look at the first post for a link to that information.

Kilz
August 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hello,

I am running Feisty Fawn.

Thanks for the script. I worked quite well, but it did no work with my bank... :-(

If you go to the page:

https://www2.bancobrasil.com.br/aapf/login.jsp?aapf.IDH=sim

You'll see that the java applet doesn't load (it complains of some missing libraries, if you want I can send more information).

Now it works.

best,

Paulo

I had to reinstall the 32bit firefox script myself, because I just installed Feisty. Everything worked without the steps you mentioned. Do you have the Universe and Multiverse repositories enabled? What version of the script did you install?

Ozdemon
August 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
If you have ran the script, is there a Applications >Internet >Firefox32 Web Browser on your Applications menu? If not its possible you you were trying to install while the packages were getting updated. Please download the new script and install that one.

Tried again and this time worked no problem - go figure.

Anyway, tks for a great solution and your excellent assistance, :)

Baby Boy
August 12th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Help, Flash plugin doesn't work. Everything seems to go well during the install except when I write the line
chown -R freeman:users /home/freeman/.macromedia, then I get
chown: cannot access `/home/freeman/.macromedia': No such file or directory.
I have installed Swiftweasel first and everything went well but when I restart Firefox, still no flash. :(
Feisty Fawn 7.04, AMD64 here btw.

Baby Boy
August 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
bump

Kilz
August 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Help, Flash plugin doesn't work. Everything seems to go well during the install except when I write the line , then I get .
I have installed Swiftweasel first and everything went well but when I restart Firefox, still no flash. :(
Feisty Fawn 7.04, AMD64 here btw.

Please copy/pate the results of the following command in a terminal

ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

Baby Boy
August 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Please copy/pate the results of the following command in a terminal

Served.

total 7016
drwxr-xr-x 2 freeman freeman 4096 2007-08-12 07:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 freeman freeman 4096 2007-08-12 06:58 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 freeman freeman 856 2007-06-20 02:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 freeman freeman 7040036 2007-06-20 02:31 libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 freeman freeman 92448 2006-09-19 15:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 freeman freeman 19496 2006-09-10 04:41 libnullplugin.so

Kilz
August 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Served.

Flash is installed in the 32bit Firefox. Close all browsers, start the 32bit one and type in
about:plugins You should see a flash section like the attached screenshot.

Baby Boy
August 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Flash is installed in the 32bit Firefox. Close all browsers, start the 32bit one and type in
about:plugins You should see a flash section like the attached screenshot.
Ehh, first of all, I didn't even know there was another Firefox (the 32-bit installed), I just thought it would overwrite the 64bit Firefox.
However, Flash doesn't work in it either, and here is the screenshot of the
about: plugins from Firefox32. What am I doing wrong?

Baby Boy
August 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Update: Don't know that the heck happened but Flash is working in Firefox32 after all. I was probably stupid enough to try it in the 64bit version 8-[. But Java still doesn't work, more on that later.
First I'd like to ask one thing: I forgot that I installed Swiftweasel32 too so should I use it instead of the Firefox32 and how do I install the Java into it in that case. Will all these browsers conflict each other in any way or is it safe to leave them all installed?

About the Java, I managed to get up to here:

cp -r -p ./jre1.6.0_02/* /usr/local/java32

and then I get

cp: cannot stat `./jre1.6.0_02/*': No such file or directory

Also, in the line above in the Howto when you say that something should be extracted and that I need to accept EULA...I don't get any of that.

EDIT: Dang it, now some pages won't open, I can't download and Firefox freezes. What could be the problem?

Kilz
August 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Update: Don't know that the heck happened but Flash is working in Firefox32 after all. I was probably stupid enough to try it in the 64bit version 8-[. But Java still doesn't work, more on that later.
First I'd like to ask one thing: I forgot that I installed Swiftweasel32 too so should I use it instead of the Firefox32 and how do I install the Java into it in that case. Will all these browsers conflict each other in any way or is it safe to leave them all installed?

About the Java, I managed to get up to here:

and then I get

Also, in the line above in the Howto when you say that something should be extracted and that I need to accept EULA...I don't get any of that.

EDIT: Dang it, now some pages won't open, I can't download and Firefox freezes. What could be the problem?

Swiftweasel32 and Firefox32 are 2 completely separate applications, so no they wont conflict. I need for you to in explain exactly what you did, step by step. Not just the error you received. If its easier. just copy the terminal session from your install.
Is Firefox , or Firefox32 freezing? They are also completely different applications in different locations.

eznet
August 13th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks a billion. I am in Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 4 (64 bit) and your directions worked like a charm - I have Flash9 and Java working great and life couldn't be better!!!

I did not need to perform the steps for enabling the audio as it is working without them, which is great for me because I am lazy...

Again, thanks!

Baby Boy
August 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Swiftweasel32 and Firefox32 are 2 completely separate applications, so no they wont conflict. I need for you to in explain exactly what you did, step by step. Not just the error you received. If its easier. just copy the terminal session from your install.
Is Firefox , or Firefox32 freezing? They are also completely different applications in different locations.
Strange, Firefox is working well now, but last night it was impossible to do any work in it :-k .
What I did was, well, practically install everything in your guide Feisty related - Automated script, Firefox32, Swiftweasel32, Flash, Java install guides and I did that part at the end of the page that says Feisty users should add. Maybe it's best that I completely reinstall Firefox and start all over?

Kilz
August 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Strange, Firefox is working well now, but last night it was impossible to do any work in it :-k .
What I did was, well, practically install everything in your guide Feisty related - Automated script, Firefox32, Swiftweasel32, Flash, Java install guides and I did that part at the end of the page that says Feisty users should add. Maybe it's best that I completely reinstall Firefox and start all over?

If you want to, feel free, the script installs deb packages. Swiftweasel32, Firefox32, and ia32-lib-firefox-amd64. You should be able to remove them with synaptic.You might also consider deleting your ~/.mozilla folder.

You could also just rerun the script, as it will just reinstall everything.

bandoba
August 14th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Hello,

First of all, let me say thanks, this helps a lot for new AMD64 users.

I used manual method and installed firefox32, flash, java and mplayer plugins. When I try the link provided in first post to test mplayer, I see a popup coming up and mplayer downloads the contents. When it reaches 99% it stops.

I see that the problem is already reported but none of the solutions (like chown, installing mplayer again or uninstalling, installing and running script later) worked for me.

Some more observations:

1. Using manual method, when I click on basic_plugins during installation of mplayer, it doesn't provide me option to install it on Feisty. It just has option for Dapper and Edgy. Is this intentional?

2. Since my manual method didn't work, I used the script and had option to install it for Feisty. I selected that and it reinstalled all components. Unfortunately I forgot to uninstall existing stuff but I hope that doesn't matter. Please let me know if that is wrong assumption.

I noticed that the script installed Java 5 (when I had already manually installed Java 6) and would like to know whether I should remove Java 6. If yes, how?

Anyways, the final end result is this:
I just find mplayer64 on my machine and don't see mplayer32 (or just mplayer). Isn't that a problem? Any idea why even after going through manual method (or using script), it is not installing mplayer or mplayer32?

BTW, I am running Ubuntu Feisty AMD64.

TIA.

Kilz
August 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Hello,

First of all, let me say thanks, this helps a lot for new AMD64 users.

I used manual method and installed firefox32, flash, java and mplayer plugins. When I try the link provided in first post to test mplayer, I see a popup coming up and mplayer downloads the contents. When it reaches 99% it stops.

I see that the problem is already reported but none of the solutions (like chown, installing mplayer again or uninstalling, installing and running script later) worked for me.

Some more observations:

1. Using manual method, when I click on basic_plugins during installation of mplayer, it doesn't provide me option to install it on Feisty. It just has option for Dapper and Edgy. Is this intentional?

2. Since my manual method didn't work, I used the script and had option to install it for Feisty. I selected that and it reinstalled all components. Unfortunately I forgot to uninstall existing stuff but I hope that doesn't matter. Please let me know if that is wrong assumption.

I noticed that the script installed Java 5 (when I had already manually installed Java 6) and would like to know whether I should remove Java 6. If yes, how?

Anyways, the final end result is this:
I just find mplayer64 on my machine and don't see mplayer32 (or just mplayer). Isn't that a problem? Any idea why even after going through manual method (or using script), it is not installing mplayer or mplayer32?

BTW, I am running Ubuntu Feisty AMD64.

TIA.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer64 /usr/bin/mplayer
The above code will fix the small issue. This is because you installed the very ancient mplayer script from the manual howto. I will mark it as not good for Feisty.
Reinstalling the main script is a good idea, it wont do anythiong wrong, but since mplayer was already installed, and then renamed, it didnt reinstall it to make a plain mplayer binary. Symlinking it should solve that.

bandoba
August 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mplayer64 /usr/bin/mplayer
The above code will fix the small issue. This is because you installed the very ancient mplayer script from the manual howto. I will mark it as not good for Feisty.
Reinstalling the main script is a good idea, it wont do anythiong wrong, but since mplayer was already installed, and then renamed, it didnt reinstall it to make a plain mplayer binary. Symlinking it should solve that.

Hmmm, I feel really dumb that I didn't notice this. After, I linked it It works great now. Thanks very much.

Just one question - so now when I run firefox32, I am running firefox 32 bit with all 32 bit plugins except mplayer? I am guessing it because it in turn running mplayer64. Is that correct understanding?

Kilz
August 15th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hmmm, I feel really dumb that I didn't notice this. After, I linked it It works great now. Thanks very much.

Just one question - so now when I run firefox32, I am running firefox 32 bit with all 32 bit plugins except mplayer? I am guessing it because it in turn running mplayer64. Is that correct understanding?

Yes, in Feisty we can run a 64bit mplayer, the plugins will work with it.

Vashthe3rd
August 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Kilz thank you for the great post
I'm completely new and just installed ubuntu tonight

The instructions you gave me yielded no .macromedia file, even after ever line of code you listed

any ideas?

Kilz
August 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Kilz thank you for the great post
I'm completely new and just installed ubuntu tonight

The instructions you gave me yielded no .macromedia file, even after ever line of code you listed

any ideas?

open up your home folder, click edit, preferences, then check the box that says show hidden and backup files. Close, then close the home folder and reopen it, do you see the .macromedia folder?

Vashthe3rd
August 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
i did that and there is no .macromedia file

Vashthe3rd
August 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
ok somehow in the process of installing firefox32....it just didn't

I went back and re-did the steps but i ran the firefox32 install first before the ia32

could this be the cause of the problem?

Vashthe3rd
August 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
and linux has yet to not surprise me, I closed everything (after enabling hidden files, etc. and closing the file browser) opened it up again and .macromedia was there, full fucntioning

dangel
August 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi, I used the script and worked great. Thanks!

Just 2 minor issues:

1. I cannot see pdf files into the browser. Firefox's download tool pop-ups every time.

2. Although I've installed the mplayer plug in cannot here streaming audio (e.g. go at www.e-radio.gr and click in any station).

Thanks.

Kilz
August 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hi, I used the script and worked great. Thanks!

Just 2 minor issues:

1. I cannot see pdf files into the browser. Firefox's download tool pop-ups every time.

2. Although I've installed the mplayer plug in cannot here streaming audio (e.g. go at www.e-radio.gr and click in any station).

Thanks.

1. The script doesn't install adobe acrobat. That is separate and only available with the manual howto? Did you do the manual part for acrobat?
2. It takes a bit for the stations to start, about 3 minutes, but I hear them. To make sure that everything was installed please paste the responce to the following commands into a reply

and

ls -al /usr/bin/mplayer*

dangel
August 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I had already installed Adobe Reader 7 before using your script.

The 64bit version of Firefox wouldn't open pdf files inline either and a friend of mine, that has the same laptop, told me that the 32bit version has no such problem. However he currently has no linux distro installed and cannot remember what he did.

dangel
August 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins:

total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 npatsop npatsop 4096 2007-08-15 19:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 npatsop npatsop 4096 2007-08-15 19:13 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 1003 users 856 2007-06-20 03:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1003 users 7040036 2007-06-20 03:31 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 82 2007-08-15 19:32 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 npatsop npatsop 92448 2006-09-19 16:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 npatsop npatsop 19496 2006-09-10 05:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265008 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in.xpt

ls -al /usr/bin/mplayer*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9586936 2007-06-11 21:00 /usr/bin/mplayer

Kilz
August 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins:

total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 npatsop npatsop 4096 2007-08-15 19:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 npatsop npatsop 4096 2007-08-15 19:13 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 1003 users 856 2007-06-20 03:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1003 users 7040036 2007-06-20 03:31 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 82 2007-08-15 19:32 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 npatsop npatsop 92448 2006-09-19 16:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 npatsop npatsop 19496 2006-09-10 05:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265008 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-08-15 19:33 mplayerplug-in.xpt

ls -al /usr/bin/mplayer*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9586936 2007-06-11 21:00 /usr/bin/mplayer

Everything is installed. Do you get any errors? If not try waiting a few minutes.

Kilz
August 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I had already installed Adobe Reader 7 before using your script.

The 64bit version of Firefox wouldn't open pdf files inline either and a friend of mine, that has the same laptop, told me that the 32bit version has no such problem. However he currently has no linux distro installed and cannot remember what he did.

The script will not install the acrobat reader. It isnt included in the script. Please try following the manual howto.

dangel
August 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
About the streaming audio:

You were right. There only some problem with some stations but this seems to be program specific (of the website's server).

About Acrobat Reader:

I'll try the manual ans get back to you.

Flash player doesn't worth either. Tried to see bwin live soccer matches and realized that there was no plugin.

Thanks

dangel
August 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've followed the manual how-to and restarted Firefox32.

Adobe Reader worked like a charm!

Flash player too!

They only weird is that now when I open a station from the site www.e-radio.gr I here the audio but when the window looses focus the sound stops and when it gets focus back it plays!

Chymera
August 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
hmmmm.... i tried the script .... and... flash still isnt working

Kilz
August 16th, 2007, 09:28 AM
hmmmm.... i tried the script .... and... flash still isnt working

Click help then about Firefox, near the bottom of the little window that opens is some info that starts with "Mozilla/5.0" copy that section and paste it into a post please.
Also please tell me exactly what steps you have done to see if flash was installed.

Chymera
August 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
neah, it worked, but i didnt realise there was a 2nd icon in the internet menu :P anyway, how do i remove the other firefox? the one which doesnt supportz the plugins, and how do i set my current ff as the default browser?

Kilz
August 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
neah, it worked, but i didnt realise there was a 2nd icon in the internet menu :P anyway, how do i remove the other firefox? the one which doesnt supportz the plugins, and how do i set my current ff as the default browser?

Take a look at the bottom of the howto. :)

s_spiff
August 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
hey Kliz, thought I'll inform you of the new flock thats released. It looks amazing, atleast on widnows. Wonder how it'll be on ubu.

Kilz
August 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
hey Kliz, thought I'll inform you of the new flock thats released. It looks amazing, atleast on widnows. Wonder how it'll be on ubu.

Thanks

cacycleworks
August 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hi - just found this thread and did the install. I chose Swiftweasel and the install went without a hitch.

I tried running the swiftweasel32 link on my desktop and I got the "browser already running, please close it and try again" or some such. But I recognized this right away: I use multiple profiles with FF (in this case FF64) so that I can simultaneously read multiple gmail accounts... Once profiles are evoked, any instance of firefox needs to be evoked with a known profile. I assume that the fresh install of 32 bit FF was unable to "see" the default profile. Initially, I thought this was because I had FF64 running with the default profile... I closed all 3 profiles of FF64 and retried the new swiftweasel ff32 install and got the same problem.

So I opened a terminal and ran firefox -profilemanager and added a profile to the same firefox directory as the default and other profiles called swiftweasel.

Then I right-clicked to edit the .desktop launcher to start up with the command:
swiftweasel32 -P swiftweasel -no-remote

I'm on Fiesty kubuntu with latest updates ...
13:34 chris@outside:~ $ uname -a
Linux outside 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 19:00:28 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

:lolflag:
Hey youtube works now: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cqsrq34qDyk

cyb3rj
August 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Everything appeared to be going well right up until I tried to install mplayer.

Would you like to install the Mplayer Multimedia plugin?
Install option (Yes=1 No=2)? : 1
--06:27:06-- http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/m/mplayerplug-in/mozilla-mplayer_3.31-1_i386.deb
=> `mozilla-mplayer_3.31-1_i386.deb'
Resolving mirrors.kernel.org... 204.152.191.39, 204.152.191.7
Connecting to mirrors.kernel.org|204.152.191.39|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 479,124 (468K) [text/plain]

100%[================================================== ===>] 479,124 379.36K/s

06:27:07 (378.14 KB/s) - `mozilla-mplayer_3.31-1_i386.deb' saved [479124/479124]

--06:27:07-- http://www.people.virginia.edu/~drf8f/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20060501.tar.bz2
=> `essential-20060501.tar.bz2'
Resolving www.people.virginia.edu... 128.143.22.98
Connecting to www.people.virginia.edu|128.143.22.98|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 307 Temporary Redirect
Location: http://people.virginia.edu/~drf8f/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20060501.tar.bz2 [following]
--06:27:08-- http://people.virginia.edu/~drf8f/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20060501.tar.bz2
=> `essential-20060501.tar.bz2'
Resolving people.virginia.edu... 128.143.22.36
Connecting to people.virginia.edu|128.143.22.36|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 9,511,636 (9.1M) [application/octet-stream]
essential-20060501.tar.bz2: Permission denied

Cannot write to `essential-20060501.tar.bz2' (Permission denied).
tar: essential-20060501.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
cp: cannot stat `essential-20060501/*': No such file or directory
Install is complete, please close all browsers before starting the 32bit browser.

update: I was able to complete the install without mplayer.

cyb3rj
August 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Is there a way to get this firefox32 to obey the "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" setting in "Appearance & Themes: GTK Styles and Fonts"?

Kilz
August 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
update: I was able to complete the install without mplayer.
you may not need the codecs with the latest version of Mplayer, that was installed.

Is there a way to get this firefox32 to obey the "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" setting in "Appearance & Themes: GTK Styles and Fonts"?

Please read the Common Problems section of the howto.

glupee
August 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Kilz ur the sh*t buddy! I love you this worked great!:KS

Gorlinux
August 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hello,

I tried to install Java but I encountered some problems and now when I run Synaptic it gives me this error:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I think I know what happened and it's all my fault . I did not read the instructions provided by Kilz. First, I tried installing Java, I accidentally used an older script below - my bad :(

cd ~/Desktop
sudo bash
chmod 777 ./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin
./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin

The download went okay though until it got to I guess the EULA message and it sort of hung there. But then I realized then that there is now an updated version of JRE when I checked Java website. So I downloaded the 6u-i586 from Java.com and then run the script in the terminal:
cd ~/Desktop
sudo bash
chmod 777 ./jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin
./jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin

Again, the installation when okay until an error message came up that one of the packages could not be opened (sorry, was not able to note which packages actually)

I would really want to do this again, and hopefully the right way this time, but I have to uninstall or remove everything I did wrong. Is there still hope for me? Please help. Thanks.

Remoresfully,
Golinux

P.S. Kilz your script is brilliant! I am the one who's not so brilliant :(

IronArjen
August 24th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I went from Dapper to Feisty and therefore again needed to do your script, followed your advice regarding the Swiftweasel. Everything perfect except for the Adobe, Something goes wrong here. I tried what you suggested and did enter my username but bith "arjen" or "Bioinformatics" are not approved. I guess the adobe plugin does not go for Swiftweasel and the installation fails becuase do not have the 32 bits firefox?

Terminal says:

arjen@Bioinformatics:~/Desktop/AdobeReader$ sudo ./INSTALL

This installation requires 95 MB of free disk space.

Enter installation directory for Adobe Reader 7.0.5 [/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0]
/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0

Installing platform independent files ... Done

Installing platform dependent files ... Done

Do you want to install the browser plugin ? [y/n] y
trap: 634: SIGINT: bad trap
Please login again for changes to MIME types and icons to take effect.

arjen@Bioinformatics:~/Desktop/AdobeReader$

Tx

cacycleworks
August 25th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Hello,

I tried to install Java but I encountered some problems and now when I run Synaptic it gives me this error:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

I had a similar problem before and when I ran aptitude, it helped with correcting issues and dependencies. Aptitude is amazing in that regard, so where I think there are problems, I run it (from the command line) and sort it out.

hth, chris

The other One
August 25th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Nice work, Kilz, this worked perfectly 1st time for me.

You are the master of 64bit compatibility!

Kilz
August 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I went from Dapper to Feisty and therefore again needed to do your script, followed your advice regarding the Swiftweasel. Everything perfect except for the Adobe, Something goes wrong here. I tried what you suggested and did enter my username but bith "arjen" or "Bioinformatics" are not approved. I guess the adobe plugin does not go for Swiftweasel and the installation fails becuase do not have the 32 bits firefox?

Terminal says:

arjen@Bioinformatics:~/Desktop/AdobeReader$ sudo ./INSTALL

This installation requires 95 MB of free disk space.

Enter installation directory for Adobe Reader 7.0.5 [/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0]
/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0

Installing platform independent files ... Done

Installing platform dependent files ... Done

Do you want to install the browser plugin ? [y/n] y
trap: 634: SIGINT: bad trap
Please login again for changes to MIME types and icons to take effect.

arjen@Bioinformatics:~/Desktop/AdobeReader$

Tx

Have you tried using the user agent switcher in Swiftweasel to tell it its running Firefox?

usmcdcf
August 25th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I used the script to install Swiftweasel on my C2D and Opteron 170 dual core systems. I am running Ubuntu 7.04 64 bit on both. The script ran flawlessly and installed the Intel and AMD version without a hitch. This script ROCKS!!!:guitar: Thank you!):P

ron66
August 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM
The script works very well.

Surprisingly, at least to me, I have a found difference between the 2 versions.

Specifically, when I go to http://faxzero.com, the 32-bit version had problems while the 64-bit seems ok.

Why is there a difference when displaying the site on the 2 browsers? It would be nice to have the 32-bit version show the page correctly.

Thanks,

ron66

Kilz
August 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
The script works very well.

Surprisingly, at least to me, I have a found difference between the 2 versions.

Specifically, when I go to http://faxzero.com, the 32-bit version had problems while the 64-bit seems ok.

Why is there a difference when displaying the site on the 2 browsers? It would be nice to have the 32-bit version show the page correctly.

Thanks,

ron66

That page only looks bad if you use 32bit Firefox, not 32bit Swiftweasel. That points to a flaw in the browser itself.
I cant do anything about that because of the Mozilla Public License. The only way I can distribute Firefox is by not changing it. The files come strait from Mozilla. Feel free to install Swiftweasel, while based on Firefox it is a lot better imho.

noiq
August 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks Kilz! The last 64bit Ubuntu I had was Breezy(?) and I installed a 32bit chroot for that. Your script worked great on my Xubuntu 7.04

saru411
August 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM
i somehow broke my flash player while installing apps/codecs to make serpentine cd creator work with mp3s(m4a files). i have had your install working perfectly until this upgrade. i run firefox 32 with all of the packages included with your .deb.
thanks for the help kilz.

Dark Star
August 27th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the nice guide ... :D

shrumhead
August 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Script worked great on my Fiesty 7.04 box, ty much :popcorn:

masinger53
August 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Script worked flawlessly on my 64bit Feisty laptop; only 1 minor thing:

<bonk> for the forgetful who expect the Firefox icon on the taskbar to automagically update itself and point to the 32bit version (like I did), then wonder why it still doesn't work right. =)

Thanks and nice job!

shadowdance
August 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I dont get it.

I've run the automated script. How do I fire up the browser then? Where is it located? Im a total noob with Linux...

Kilz
August 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I dont get it.

I've run the automated script. How do I fire up the browser then? Where is it located? Im a total noob with Linux...

look in the menu, in the internet section. :D

Kanoa
August 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Great script. Installed fine on my Fiesty install. Thank you...:)

Bill

ron66
August 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM
That page only looks bad if you use 32bit Firefox, not 32bit Swiftweasel. That points to a flaw in the browser itself.
I cant do anything about that because of the Mozilla Public License. The only way I can distribute Firefox is by not changing it. The files come strait from Mozilla. Feel free to install Swiftweasel, while based on Firefox it is a lot better imho.
32-bit SwiftWeasel seems to work great, Faxzero.com looks like it should.

Thanks,
ron66

blahquaker
August 28th, 2007, 03:19 AM
the script worked great. Thanks!

since we're comparing faxzero.com: it looks good in firefox64 and swiftweasel32 - it looks bad in iceweasel32.

Kilz
August 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
There will always be sites that look bad in one browser or another. IMHO its because the people who wrote the pages used bad html and some browsers are more forgiving.

IronArjen
August 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Have you tried using the user agent switcher in Swiftweasel to tell it its running Firefox?

The agent switscher is set to default, default is

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070804 Swiftweasel/2.0.0.6.1

Then listed are IE, Netscape and Opera. I cannot find out how to add Firefox.

Tx

Kilz
August 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM

The agent switscher is set to default, default is

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070804 Swiftweasel/2.0.0.6.1

Then listed are IE, Netscape and Opera. I cannot find out how to add Firefox.

Tx

You can add new user agents. Look in Tools > User Agent Switcher > Options > Options . You can import and export them, Mine came with a Firefox user agent. Im attaching it here in a tarball so you can import it.

f76
August 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
hi! thanx for help. flock seems great.

I can see youtube videos, just no sound. I tried a manual install w the same results...

tar: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

browserinfo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070718 Firefox/2.0.0.5 Flock/0.9.0.1

total 7016
drwxr-xr-x 2 tony tony 4096 2007-08-29 16:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 tony tony 4096 2007-08-29 16:37 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 tony tony 856 2007-06-20 02:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tony tony 7040036 2007-06-20 02:31 libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 tony tony 92448 2006-09-19 15:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tony tony 19496 2006-09-10 04:41 libnullplugin.so

ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-15 13:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-04-15 13:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-basic-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-basic-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-gmp-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-mully-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-mully-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt

What can I do do make sound work?

Jimcanoa
August 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Appearance
Some themes may look bad, especially for users running KDE. This deb may help. After installing you will need to restart the browser. Also please realize, Firefox32 is created, built, and maintained by a user, not a developer. The whole purpose of Firefox32 is to make plugins work, not to make it blend into the system. That may be beyond my ability. Minor differences in the appearance of Firefox 32 vs the 64bit browser the developers completely integrated are to be expected.
If you would like to complain, please direct your complaints to the Ubuntu developers who refuse to offer a 32bit browser to 64bit users and expect 64bit users to use a browser without plugins.

I was wondering if there has been any progress in that direction. Firefox32 is working beautifully in my box: kubuntu feisty amd64. The only complaint I have so far is the appearance... I was wondering if changing:

$ cat /usr/local/bin/firefox32
#!/bin/sh

export GTK_PATH=/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0
export GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE=/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders.32
killall esd
linux32 /usr/local/firefox32/firefox $@

I've tried exporting GTK_PATH to /usr/lib32/kde3 but with no change.

Installing the deb didn't help.

In any case 1000 thanks to the poster of this guide and all the contributors and developers out there.

IronArjen
August 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Kilz,

I managed to get the Agent Switcher uploaded with Firefox. Sofar I have not tried whether I can install Adobe properly since I run into other items.

Links from my mail open Firefox, no problem and you ve even wrote a way around that but................it renders the thing a bit unstable. I have had it several times that both my firefox and swiftweasel crashed (after the Agent switch!). Hence I will uninstall the swiftweasel, although I really liked the block manager. Another thing, maybe even worse. Swiftweasel made me remind of Windoooooooze (Sorry), While opening a letś say 20 Mb page (whihc I actually do like ten times a day) I like to do do other things. Firefox in Ubuntu never lets'you down. Swiftweasel does, it simply no longer responds on other pages while loading a large page.

But for the rest the usual compliments to script and especially follow-up

Tx

Kilz
August 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM
hi! thanx for help. flock seems great.

I can see youtube videos, just no sound. I tried a manual install w the same results...

tar: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

browserinfo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070718 Firefox/2.0.0.5 Flock/0.9.0.1

total 7016
drwxr-xr-x 2 tony tony 4096 2007-08-29 16:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 tony tony 4096 2007-08-29 16:37 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 tony tony 856 2007-06-20 02:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tony tony 7040036 2007-06-20 02:31 libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 tony tony 92448 2006-09-19 15:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tony tony 19496 2006-09-10 04:41 libnullplugin.so

total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-15 13:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-04-15 13:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-basic-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-basic-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-gmp-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-mully-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-mully-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so -> ../../totem/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 2007-08-26 23:13 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt -> ../../totem/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt

What can I do do make sound work?

Do you have sound in other applications? If you do what steps have you tried to get sound working?

Kilz
August 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I was wondering if there has been any progress in that direction. Firefox32 is working beautifully in my box: kubuntu feisty amd64. The only complaint I have so far is the appearance... I was wondering if changing:

$ cat /usr/local/bin/firefox32
#!/bin/sh

export GTK_PATH=/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0
export GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE=/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders.32
killall esd
linux32 /usr/local/firefox32/firefox $@

I've tried exporting GTK_PATH to /usr/lib32/kde3 but with no change.

Installing the deb didn't help.

In any case 1000 thanks to the poster of this guide and all the contributors and developers out there.

In case the section you posted on appearance isnt quite clear. Other than the package linked in that section there is not much that I can do.

ipina
August 31st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Kilz how are you? I'd like to ask you something not exactly related to your scripts. Ok, I'm trying to install your script but I'm getting errors which are concerned with the package libc6. In order to install pdfedit, I needed libc6 2.6 - which is not an official pack of Ubuntu - Now, if I wish to install your script I need libc6 2.5 - an official pack of Ubuntu - but, as you probably guess, I can't install it since a later version is present on my system (Ubuntu Feisty) Do you know any way to have installed the two versions of libc6? Best regards.

Kilz
August 31st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Kilz how are you? I'd like to ask you something not exactly related to your scripts. Ok, I'm trying to install your script but I'm getting errors which are concerned with the package libc6. In order to install pdfedit, I needed libc6 2.6 - which is not an official pack of Ubuntu - Now, if I wish to install your script I need libc6 2.5 - an official pack of Ubuntu - but, as you probably guess, I can't install it since a later version is present on my system (Ubuntu Feisty) Do you know any way to have installed the two versions of libc6? Best regards.

I dont know of any way to run 2. But I will tell you that pdfedit is easy to compile on Feisty.

ipina
August 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Kilz. I'm afraid it can't be done, I mean to have installed the two versions so, I decided to force version in Synaptic and reinstall libc6 2.5. This way, I have to reinstall pdfedit by compilling it - hope you're correct in the sense that it'll be an easy task - Also, I'll install your brilliant script about flash, java and so on. Thanks anyway, very kind of you.

Kilz
August 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Kilz. I'm afraid it can't be done, I mean to have installed the two versions so, I decided to force version in Synaptic and reinstall libc6 2.5. This way, I have to reinstall pdfedit by compilling it - hope you're correct in the sense that it'll be an easy task - Also, I'll install your brilliant script about flash, java and so on. Thanks anyway, very kind of you.

I compiled it on Feisty. I needed to edit the page order of a pdf from a microsoft publisher to pdf converter. I think it stopped 4 times to complain about files it needed and I installed the -dev of the file.

leona
September 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM
Hi Kilz, wow you still maintaining this script, very good work :)
I have updated my drapper to Fiesty (the offical way) and all is fine and dandy, apart from I seem to have lost sound in Java, have tried reinstalling Firefox and Java to no avail, can you point me in the right direction to find out what the problem might be?

Sound works in other apps, Rhythmbox, cd player, etc etc, its just Java that is mute!

ipina
September 1st, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Kilz, thanks for your message. Tho this is not the right thread to mention it, did you know that pdfedit is nicely installed with the file found in http://www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1002&fpos=0 There are some minor fixes to do after installation but it works! Have a nice weekend.

DANGISE
September 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Kilz, i ran the script then the swiftweasel.deb. I still don't have flash working and I lost permissions.

ipina
September 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hi again Kilz, I'm getting troubles when installing your script, the main of which, I think, is that the file firefox32-2.0.0.4-ubuntu-amd64.deb is not accessible at http://home.comcast.net, are you introducing changes over there? Some other problems follow this one, all being related to accessing files on the net, tho I prefer to go step by step. Regards.

Kilz
September 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Hi again Kilz, I'm getting troubles when installing your script, the main of which, I think, is that the file firefox32-2.0.0.4-ubuntu-amd64.deb is not accessible at http://home.comcast.net, are you introducing changes over there? Some other problems follow this one, all being related to accessing files on the net, tho I prefer to go step by step. Regards.

How old it the script you are running? Firefox32-2.0.0.4 is 2 versions old and no longer on the comcast site. I am limited to 25meg and can only host the most recent version.

Kilz
September 2nd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Hi Kilz, wow you still maintaining this script, very good work :)
I have updated my drapper to Fiesty (the offical way) and all is fine and dandy, apart from I seem to have lost sound in Java, have tried reinstalling Firefox and Java to no avail, can you point me in the right direction to find out what the problem might be?

Sound works in other apps, Rhythmbox, cd player, etc etc, its just Java that is mute!

Have you tried running the 3 in 1 script, or are you trying to install individual components.

leona
September 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Have you tried running the 3 in 1 script, or are you trying to install individual components.
Hi Kilz, I installed them individually, as I assumed it was just Java at fault.

Guilden_NL
September 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Kilz ROCKS! :guitar: UB the Ubuntu :KS

Worked so flawlessly I KNEW that it wasn't Apple or Microsoft.

ipina
September 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hi, my script is ff32-3in1-5.tar.gz, that is, the one on your first page of this thread. If this is an old version, where may I find a later one? Greetings and sorry in case I don't pay the due attention to your updates.

ipina
September 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi again, sorry I was aware that version of firefox is 2.0.0.6, so you're correct. The script, today, seems to work tho the result isn't fine. I've encountered two problems: 1) a warning that says /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 doesn't exist or isn't a directory - when unpacking or setting up gsfonts-x11 - and 2) when asked to install mplayer the script is interrupted either answering yes or no. May I have your help? Thanks in advance.

Kilz
September 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hi again, sorry I was aware that version of firefox is 2.0.0.6, so you're correct. The script, today, seems to work tho the result isn't fine. I've encountered two problems: 1) a warning that says /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 doesn't exist or isn't a directory - when unpacking or setting up gsfonts-x11 - and 2) when asked to install mplayer the script is interrupted either answering yes or no. May I have your help? Thanks in advance.

Can you please copy in the section with the mplayer problem from a terminal if possible?

Kilz
September 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Kilz, I installed them individually, as I assumed it was just Java at fault.

Try running the complete script if you have upgraded. It will just overwrite what is there and should fix what problems it finds.

ipina
September 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
No, I can't copy anything related with Mplayer because the terminal suddenly vanishes. However, I tried to run firefox32 from a terminal - as the icon in Applications -> Internet doesn't appear - and the output is:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(firefox-bin:6679): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(firefox-bin:6679): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

I noticed, however, that the browser opened on my screen so, I checked whether or not the flash plugin worked. In fact, it did, so that I've created a launcher with command /usr/local/bin/firefox32 that seems to run nice, no problem with pages requiring adobe flash player.
I've gone over all the thread and found that an alike problem wasn't consider to you as important. In any case, I'm interested, maybe libpangohack is involved in the warnings concerning gsfonts-x11 which I told you I got in running the script? Greetings.

ipina
September 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Kilz, I found two problems regarding ghostscript fonts for x11. First, on Ubuntu 7.04 the font path is /usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1 instead of /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 - as can be seen in xorg.conf file - Second, in this file Load "type1" - in section Modules - is not an entry so, it should be typed if the ghostscript fonts are desired to be available. I ignore whether or not the first problem can be handled when unpacking and setting up the gsfonts-x11_0.20build1_all.deb file, which generates the warning /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 doesn't exist or isn't a directory, as I mentioned. Greetings.

Kilz
September 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Kilz, I found two problems regarding ghostscript fonts for x11. First, on Ubuntu 7.04 the font path is /usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1 instead of /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 - as can be seen in xorg.conf file - Second, in this file Load "type1" - in section Modules - is not an entry so, it should be typed if the ghostscript fonts are desired to be available. I ignore whether or not the first problem can be handled when unpacking and setting up the gsfonts-x11_0.20build1_all.deb file, which generates the warning /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 doesn't exist or isn't a directory, as I mentioned. Greetings.

The script downloadeds the gsfonts-x11_0.20build1_all.deb from the Ubuntu repositories. http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/x11/gsfonts-x11. Are you saying there are errors in the deb file?

Deals with it not being able to pre load itself. All installs of Firefox32 give this error, including the ones that run perfectly. The only thing libpangohack does is makes some icons show on other applications firefox opens, like the file roller when you download a tar and have firefox automaticly open it for you. Feel free to comment out the load line in /usr/local/bin/firefox32, but those applications will look awful.

ipina
September 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
The script downloadeds the gsfonts-x11_0.20build1_all.deb from the Ubuntu repositories. http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/x11/gsfonts-x11. Are you saying there are errors in the deb file?

Yes, I'm saying that this file points to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 - when unpacking and setting up - but, at least in Ubuntu Feisty, the font path which is preassigned in xorg.conf is /usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1. Obviously, there are some warnings as a consequence. And, perhaps, all this is related to the lack of fonts in those applications you cite - as can be seen on page 12 (11) of this thread - Greetings.

miguelitu
September 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM
hi there

great work with the script!

i got a issue, couldn't read all the thread to see if it happened to someone else.

the deal is that downloads dont work very well in the swiftweasel, it completes the the file before the process really end.

I've tested the same links with the firefox64 and all went well.

any help?

thanks.

weibel
September 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Great script. But, whenever i finish running it i get the following message when i try and start up firefox32.

/usr/local/firefox32/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 19349 Floating point exception"$prog" ${1+"$@"}

If i then go to the /usr/local/firefox32 directory and run

weibel@pipes:/usr/local/firefox32$ linux32 ./firefox

I get this error,

./run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 19402 Floating point exception"$prog" ${1+"$@"}

If i try this instead,

weibel@pipes:/usr/local/firefox32$ linux32 ./firefox-bin

I get the following error,

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone know what i might be able to do to fix this? I also tried going through the manual install, but i get the same error messages.

thanks,
Jason.

pd71sat
September 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Thank you very much for the Firefox install script. It did everything that
I could have wanted on a new Firefox32 install -- 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty
7.04 on Fujitsu Lifebook A3130. Got sound, got Flash, got Java, got
media player plugins.

I have removed the 64-bit version icon from my top tray and replaced it
with the 32-bit version. Also placed a copy on the Desktop.

Is there a way to make the Firefox32 the default for opening web pages
that you click on in say emails?

Thanks a million again Kilz. Guys like you make coming to these forums
a big deal.

Kilz
September 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Great script. But, whenever i finish running it i get the following message when i try and start up firefox32.

/usr/local/firefox32/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 19349 Floating point exception"$prog" ${1+"$@"}

If i then go to the /usr/local/firefox32 directory and run

weibel@pipes:/usr/local/firefox32$ linux32 ./firefox

I get this error,

./run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 19402 Floating point exception"$prog" ${1+"$@"}

If i try this instead,

weibel@pipes:/usr/local/firefox32$ linux32 ./firefox-bin

I get the following error,

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone know what i might be able to do to fix this? I also tried going through the manual install, but i get the same error messages.

thanks,
Jason.

In order to help you I need some information. Please read the "how to get help" section of the howto.

leona
September 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Kilz
How can I have this so I can use RealPlayer not Mplayer for realmedia things?

Kilz
September 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hi Kilz
How can I have this so I can use RealPlayer not Mplayer for realmedia things?

I have never tried it, but my guess would be to install a 32bit version of the player and 32bit versions of all the dependencies. Then the 32bit plugins, and install them to /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

Drubert
September 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
The script worked like a charm and my 32 bit firefox gets around the flash bugs. I have come across one problem, though: When in chat, if someone is using a microphone, the speech is slowed down to the point that the person sounds like Sloth from Goonies. I have the 32 bit Firefox on my laptop and this does not happen. Is this a hardware problem or something I can fix?

Subscript
September 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Here is a tip to have swiftweasel32 and swiftweasel (64-bit) installed on the same system (though not running simultaneously) with different profiles.

A slight tweak is needed in the script that fires up swiftweasel32 - /usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel

The logic:
While firing up this script creates a copy of the existing firefox profile in a directory called swiftweasel in your ~/.mozilla/ . The same is true for 64 bit version as well. Hence, the 32-bit and 64-bit version end up sharing the same profile which is something you may not desire due to different plugins and their respective compatibilities.

Hence replace all occurrences of swiftweasel directory with that of swiftweasel32 . You may edit it by:

kdesu kate /usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel

Please do this manually as you should replace all references to the swiftweasel directory only. Then fire up swiftweasel32 and it shall have its own profile directory in ~/.mozilla/swiftweasel32 .

This may be useful is cases where one may need both browsers (or even firefox) for experimentation till all the 64-bit plugins are not stable and wants to keep the trials on for both.

gregili
September 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Thanx man ! Had a few troubles but finally everything works great..

Kilz
September 13th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Here is a tip to have swiftweasel32 and swiftweasel (64-bit) installed on the same system (though not running simultaneously) with different profiles.

A slight tweak is needed in the script that fires up swiftweasel32 - /usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel

The logic:
While firing up this script creates a copy of the existing firefox profile in a directory called swiftweasel in your ~/.mozilla/ . The same is true for 64 bit version as well. Hence, the 32-bit and 64-bit version end up sharing the same profile which is something you may not desire due to different plugins and their respective compatibilities.

Hence replace all occurrences of swiftweasel directory with that of swiftweasel32 . You may edit it by:

kdesu kate /usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel

Please do this manually as you should replace all references to the swiftweasel directory only. Then fire up swiftweasel32 and it shall have its own profile directory in ~/.mozilla/swiftweasel32 .

This may be useful is cases where one may need both browsers (or even firefox) for experimentation till all the 64-bit plugins are not stable and wants to keep the trials on for both.

Plugins are not stored in your configuration folder. Mostly its for bookmarks and other settings that are not platform dependent. Why do you need to run both the 32bit and 64bit versions? Why even run the 32bit version of swiftweasel now that java will run on the 64bit version?

Keyper7
September 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Kilz,

First of all, thanks for the great script. I used it flawlessly before and I'm going to use it again since I recently reinstalled Feisty.

I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't run the script to figure this out myself, but looking at the script I have a small doubt: how does the Feisty part of the script works without downloading the mplayer32 deb?

I've noticed that the Dapper and Edgy installations download mplayer32 and mozilla-mplayer, but the Feisty part only downloads mozilla-mplayer. How does that work?

Thanks a lot again!
-Keyper7

Kilz
September 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Kilz,

First of all, thanks for the great script. I used it flawlessly before and I'm going to use it again since I recently reinstalled Feisty.

I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't run the script to figure this out myself, but looking at the script I have a small doubt: how does the Feisty part of the script works without downloading the mplayer32 deb?

I've noticed that the Dapper and Edgy installations download mplayer32 and mozilla-mplayer, but the Feisty part only downloads mozilla-mplayer. How does that work?

Thanks a lot again!
-Keyper7

It downloads and uses the mplayer from the repositories. You may be missing that small one word in an apt-get install command in the script. The dapper and edgy script have to use an older mplayer32 because of dependencies.

Keyper7
September 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Ah, I see, it's in the beggining. Thanks. :)

But since it's a common apt-get, the mplayer installed is the 64-bit version, right? If I understood correctly, that means that, if you're using Feisty, the 64-bit mplayer from the repositories works with the win32 codecs as long as its called from a 32-bit mplayerplug-in? Interesting... I didn't even know a 64 mplayer could be used in a 32-bit mplayerplug-in, much less using the win32 codecs.

Does that mean I can even replace that apt-get mplayer with a compilation of mplayer from mplayer.hq source?

Kilz
September 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Ah, I see, it's in the beggining. Thanks. :)

But since it's a common apt-get, the mplayer installed is the 64-bit version, right? If I understood correctly, that means that, if you're using Feisty, the 64-bit mplayer from the repositories works with the win32 codecs as long as its called from a 32-bit mplayerplug-in? Interesting... I didn't even know a 64 mplayer could be used in a 32-bit mplayerplug-in, much less using the win32 codecs.

Does that mean I can even replace that apt-get mplayer with a compilation of mplayer from mplayer.hq source?

The 64bit mplayer in Feisty does not really need the win32 codecs. I should just remove that from the script. I probably will remove it on the next version. If there is a next version. Because this script is pretty much obsolete since I have found a 64bit java plugin that works with Swiftweasel (link at the top of the howto). You could just as easily then install the mozilla-mplayer and mplayer package with apt and have a fully functional 64bit setup.
But what is happening is that the 32bit mplayer plugin is calling the 64bit mplayer in the old script..

fakie_flip
September 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
"]This script is pretty much obsolete. I have a new script that installs 64bit Swiftweasel, 64bit java and working Flash. Visit my site to get it. (http://tghc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4#p4)[/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/B]
Well enough chatter, on to the howto :D

When did java become available in 64 bit? I read or was told somewhere that it would not happen until release 7 of Java? This is good news. The only thing that's bugging me about 64 bit now is zsnes. I really want it for network play with my friends, but it seems very impossible. I've many different ways of getting it to work such as isntalling a 32 bit deb I found and getting the libs for it. ldd says no libs are missing, but it crashes and leaves a backtrace. If I knew C better, the backtrace may do me some good, but I don't.

fakie_flip
September 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Java in 64 bit? I think you are talking about gcj gnu java, right?

Keyper7
September 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
No, it's blackdown java. gcj java has always worked in 64-bit, but doesn't have essential security features. Blackdown java in 64-bit was known for making 64-bit Firefox crash, but Kilz found out that 64-bit Swiftweasel runs stable with it. Blackdown is not being developed anymore and stopped at Java 1.4, but it's a very nice option while we wait for Java 7.

fakie_flip
September 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I have blackdown java now from your script. Though I am unsure what blackdown is. It seems to be an old version of java that is not compatible with the java games yahoo has like chess and checkers and yahoo pool.

Kilz
September 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I have blackdown java now from your script. Though I am unsure what blackdown is. It seems to be an old version of java that is not compatible with the java games yahoo has like chess and checkers and yahoo pool.

Yes its older, but as pointed out gcj runs without a security manager. Per the java page on the wiki. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java)

Starting with Ubuntu 6.10 (EdgyEft), you can install the experimental java-gcj-compat-plugin from the universe archive. It is available on all architectures. Note however, that the plugin currently runs with no security manager. This means that applets you load can do anything a java application that you download and run can do. Be **very** careful which applets you run.

So if someone online write a applet to format your hard drive, install a rootkit, or something else just as bad, it will do it.

Me, I wont even install gjc. I would rather use a slightly older version while I wait for Java 7.

You are right , some yahoo games dont run with it, but some do. I just played avalanche and aloha solitare.

Gouz
September 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hello all. I dont know maybe someone has encountered the same problem as I have, but I couldn't find it...

When I tried to install Flash as you have posted using the command line
I couldnt do it because a file that I don't have the right to delete was created with the name install_flash_player_9_linux
and when I run the

tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

I got this message:

tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt: Cannot open: Permission denied
tar: Skipping to next header
install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer
tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer: Cannot open: File exists

The name of what I can;t delete is flashplayer-installer

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Kilz
September 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hello all. I dont know maybe someone has encountered the same problem as I have, but I couldn't find it...

When I tried to install Flash as you have posted using the command line
I couldnt do it because a file that I don't have the right to delete was created with the name install_flash_player_9_linux
and when I run the

tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
sudo mv -f ~/Desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

I got this message:

tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt: Cannot open: Permission denied
tar: Skipping to next header
install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer
tar: install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer: Cannot open: File exists

The name of what I can;t delete is flashplayer-installer

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Where is the file located?

Gouz
September 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
On the Desktop but not anymore
I used the

$ rm -r <them file name> and deleted it.

At first it was saying that I don't have right to deleted it. but the I log as root using

$ su
and den deleted

The point is that I still can't install flashplayer I still don't get any message nothing. and when I insert the last command it says that the file or the directory doesn't exist.

darc
September 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I had to register just to say thanks.

The script was painless and worked great. I can't run my 64bit and 32bit versions of Firefox at the same time, but that's of little consequence (except when I forget : ).

Thanks again, great work.
-darc

Rui Pais
September 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I can't run my 64bit and 32bit versions of Firefox at the same time, but that's of little consequence (except when I forget : ).
You can if you install swiftweasel. Then you may run FF32 with SW64 or FF64 and SW32, according to which versions you opted.

incubus
October 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned here already (sorry, the thread is so long now), but I noticed that the new swiftweasel deb has the fonts "screwed up".

I had version 2.0.0.6.1, downloaded the new deb 2.0.0.7 and the fonts are terribly ugly. I thought it was something related to some fonts package and after an hour of installing/reinstalling, I tried to revert to 2.0.0.6.1 and that did it.

I don't know what the cause is, but I'd be willing to provide more information. This happened on my desktop and laptop.

Thanks,

incubus

Silent_Hunter
October 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Swiftweasel 2.0.0.7 (updated 9/24/07)
This is a new project I recently was told about. It is an optimized build of the Mozilla Firefox code with free branding. The person running the project even made the deb file for me. :D Please go to its web site (http://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftweasel) and take a look for yourselves.
The deb's below are for upgrading or adding Swiftweasel as a second browser after running the install script. Do not install the deb by itself.
This version is built on Ubuntu according to its build config. I plan on adding it to the install script as a main option. But you can download it now and install it if you want. There is now a version for Intel processors (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/swiftweasel/swiftweasel32-2.0.0.7_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb) and one for AMD (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/swiftweasel/swiftweasel32-2.0.0.7_athlon64-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb).

That link to the deb package of swiftfox for amd has dependencies that do no exist in Ubuntu repositories. What on earth?

Rui Pais
October 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
That link to the deb package of swiftfox for amd has dependencies that do no exist in Ubuntu repositories. What on earth?

If you mean ia32-lib-firefox (i read you mention it on your other thread about java on 64bits browser), check the first post more carefully. On section Manual HowTo/Firefox, theres a link for the deb.

hth

Kilz
October 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Exactly, the script and howto install packages directly from my site if the package doesnt exist in the repositories. This is because the Ubuntu developers dont think you need a 32bit browser, they are ok with those people running the 64bit version not having java, and up until Gutsy, no flash. So I did my best to help other users in the spirit of Ubuntu.

Please read the quote you posted. Right in the middle is a warning not to do exactly what you have done.

"The deb's below are for upgrading or adding Swiftweasel as a second browser after running the install script. Do not install the deb by itself."

If you had installed the script , or the manual howto after reading you would not be having this problem. The reason is that the howto and script show you how to get and install that file.

bullgr
October 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
In feisty i run firefox 64 with nspluginwrapper and all went perfect.
But really in gutsy you can't get firefox 64 to work with nspluginwrapper and so, you got problems with websites who have flash content and i don't know and can't wait when this is fixed...

i tried kilz script and works perfect... thanks allot.
a little suggestion to those who like theyr prefered language in the browser (the one installed from the script is in english).
go there
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=212310
and follow the instructions...

again, thanks allot... :mrgreen:

cyb3rj
October 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
For various other reasons I had to reinstall Kubuntu, and I'm trying this out again. It seems to have worked very nicely, but failed again at the mplayer plugin with the same error.

I found your previous reply. I just wanted to note the continuation of this issue.

sizzlor
October 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
hi everyone,

Kilz -- this is a kickass thread. thank you so much for making the 32bit FF installation process so simple and sharing your wisdom with everyone.

however, one problem has been bugging me since i upgraded to Gutsy, and it hasn't gone away even after i removed FF32 completely and reinstalled it with the current version of Kilz's script.

basically, every time i try to bring up the options / preferences dialog for any of the extensions i have installed (e.g. FoxyProxy, InfoRSS, etc.), both the options dialog and the main FF32 window freeze irretrievably.

this issue is only triggered when FF32 has to generate a 'child window'.
so at this point, i can't even go into FF32's own Edit | Preferences menu.

the crazy thing is this problem doesn't seem to affect the FF64 package that comes with Gutsy. so i can configure my extensions and preferences there, and then go back to FF32 to do my actual web browsing.

anybody else suffering from the same bug?

EDIT: i just re-read the whole thread, found this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1372944&postcount=1), and figured out how to circumvent this issue.
basically it appears that the dark theme i had applied to Gnome (from gnome-look.org) seems to mess with the display of new windows in the current FF32 (2.0.0.7). this wasn't a problem in the past.
anyway, i 'solved' it by reverting back to the default 'Human' theme set.... going to look for a dark theme that 'works' now..

Kilz
October 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have just uploaded the newest script , firefox 2.0.0.8 and Swiftweasel 2.0.0.8. Those that are running 2.0.0.7 are urged to upgrade as there is a ton of fixes in 2.0.0.8.

Rui Pais
October 26th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I have just uploaded the newest script , firefox 2.0.0.8 and Swiftweasel 2.0.0.8. Those that are running 2.0.0.7 are urged to upgrade as there is a ton of fixes in 2.0.0.8.

Hi,
a few problems.
I had to manually install swiftweasel, because for some reason it downloads but dpkg failed complaining about inexistent directory of swiftweasel32.

Then script output the failure of linux32 deb package. Thats a conflicting one under Gutsy, and to install it it requires the removal of the essential util-linux.

Theres a minor typo on line 45: "Install option (1-3)?" should be now "Install option (1-4)?"

Rui Pais
October 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hi,
a few problems.
I had to manually install swiftweasel, because for some reason it downloads but dpkg failed complaining about inexistent directory of swiftweasel32.

Then script output the failure of linux32 deb package. Thats a conflicting one under Gutsy, and to install it it requires the removal of the essential util-linux.

Theres a minor typo on line 45: "Install option (1-3)?" should be now "Install option (1-4)?"

EDIT: Another bug:
swintel and swamd variables are defined as ...ubuntu_6.04-7.04_AMD64.deb
and after choose Gutsy that's not changed! But script at Gutsy downloads the correct version, but then the dpkg command fails because it uses the wrong defined variable.

(sorry about the double post, i press quote button instead of edit, and only after committed i realized that)

Here a patch for make it compatible with Gutsy:

45c45
< echo -n "Install option (1-3)? : "
---
> echo -n "Install option (1-4)? : "
721a722
> swintel=swiftweasel32-2.0.0.8_nocona-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb
730a732
> swamd=swiftweasel32-2.0.0.8_athlon64-32bit_ubuntu-AMD64.deb
780,781c782,783
< sudo wget -c http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb
< sudo dpkg -i /tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb
---
> #sudo wget -c http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb
> #sudo dpkg -i /tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb

malinkb
October 28th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I have upgraded from Festy Fawn 7.04 to Gitsy Gibbon 7.10 and had to install the latest browser script again and now I can't get the mplayer to work. It buffer/download the video. When that happens there is just a gray picture with the mozilla-firefox mplayer plugin logo and the text stopped on it.

Is there anyway I can fix this?

The browserscriptversion i used is: ff32-3in1-6.1.tar.gz

the output from my ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins is:

total 14152
drwxr-xr-x 2 malin users 4096 2007-10-28 13:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 malin users 4096 2007-10-28 13:19 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 1003 users 856 2007-06-20 02:31 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1003 users 8098568 2007-09-27 10:41 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 78 2007-10-28 13:24 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 malin malin 92448 2006-09-19 15:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 malin malin 19496 2006-09-10 04:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 282528 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1021 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 282720 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1021 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 282784 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1021 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 285084 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 283040 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1021 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1021 2007-10-28 13:24 mplayerplug-in.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 malin users 4759307 2007-01-05 20:56 nppdf.so

and from /ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins is:

total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-28 02:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-04-18 05:26 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 50 2007-09-06 19:55 nppdf.so -> ../../Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

Fraoch
October 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I ran the new script in Gutsy, should I be concerned about this error?

Selecting previously deselected package linux32.
dpkg: regarding .../tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb containing linux32:
util-linux conflicts with linux32
linux32 (version 1-3) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing /tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing linux32
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb

Yup, something's wrong, neither Firefox nor Swiftweasel will install. Both are missing "ia32-libs-gtk" - that package is no longer included, supported or even available for Gutsy.

Rui Pais
October 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I ran the new script in Gutsy, should I be concerned about this error?

Selecting previously deselected package linux32.
dpkg: regarding .../tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb containing linux32:
util-linux conflicts with linux32
linux32 (version 1-3) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing /tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing linux32
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/ff32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb

Don't try to install that package under Gutsy. It conflicts with util-linux (that already contains linux32). Note that util-linux it's an 'Essential' package. You will broke yor system if you remove or replace. See my comments on bugs to the script on Gutsy 2 posts above.
Kilz needs to update his script.

Kilz
October 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Im working on it.

Fraoch
October 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks Kilz!

Rui Pais
October 29th, 2007, 12:53 AM
yep, thanks Kilz.

I definitely give up 64b flash on gutsy. To unstable. It crashes at least twice a day, leaving a black ghost mini window when close browser...

Theres seems to be a naughty bug too on swiftweasel 2.0.0.8.
Only installer user can run it. Any other user, on sudoers list or not, can't launch it, unless they run with sudo :(

I spend part of the afternoon trying to catch this one... the file run-mozilla.sh has incorrect mod (at least different from 2.0.0.7) and seems to be a problem with one of the .so files (on path but not detected by swiftwesel32...)

go_beep_yourself
October 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Java
We will be installing Sun's Java. The only version we have to use is Java 6. I personaly dont like java 6 as it seems buggy to me. But if you must, here is how to install it. Be aware that I will not be offering support for java 6 installs at this time.
First we need to get Java (http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp) On that page download the "Linux (self-extracting file)" package. You do not want the 64 bit package. You may have to edit the commands below if the file name has changed.
First, If you are upgrading an already existing install

sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib32/java32
Then you can start the install.

cd ~/Desktop
sudo bash
chmod 777 ./jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin
./jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin

You will have to agree to the EULA, then it will extract to your desktop.
We will now install it

mkdir /usr/local/java32
cp -r -p ./jre1.6.0_02/* /usr/local/java32
cd /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/
ln -s /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./
Restart Firefox and go HERE (http://www.wildsnake.com/webgame/sso/) to test Java.
If your browser locks up/crashes verifying this will fix it. Change <username> to your username.

sudo chown -R <username>:users /home/<username>/.java
sudo chown -R <username>:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/

Is this needed? Can the ia32-sun-java6-bin or sun-java6-jre be used intead?

Kilz
October 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Is this needed? Can the ia32-sun-java6-bin or sun-java6-jre be used intead?

They will not place the plugin in the correct location.

drs305
October 30th, 2007, 12:32 AM
The java version quoted in the initial script and copied most recently in post 1160 has been updated to jre1.6.0_03 on the java site. I ran the script on the first page by just subsitituting the version numbers from 2 to 3 and it ran fine.

Kilz, thanks for all your time and work. Maybe some day you'll be able to write a script to get rid of all this stuff once java finally works in 64-bit. ](*,)

drs305
October 30th, 2007, 12:34 AM
The java version script quoted most recently in post 1160 and in the first page "Java" script has been updated to jre1.6.0_03 on the java site. I ran the Kilz's script by just subsitituting the version numbers from 2 to 3 and it ran fine.

jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin >> jre-6u3-linux-i586.bin
./jre1.6.0_02/ >> ./jre1.6.0_03/

Kilz, thanks for all your time and work. Maybe some day you'll be able to write a script to get rid of all this stuff once java finally works in 64-bit. ](*,)

Kilz
October 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
The new script , that includes updated support for Gutsy has been tested and posted to the top post. I have also updated all debs to make Gutsy versions. :D

Robocoastie
October 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM
THANK YOU!!! I ran into some web sites that used Java today and IcedTea wasn't working with it at all. You should get this in the community wiki.

Rob

Rui Pais
October 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hi,
i had experience a lot of issues with 2.0.0.8 version of swiftweasel (since they are not directly related with the script, i listed them on swiftwesel thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3668170#post3668170)).

I installed the 2.0.0.7 version and then run the script with option base install, to get flash and java.
If anyone have the same issues, this at least work without problems.

Kilz
October 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi,
i had experience a lot of issues with 2.0.0.8 version of swiftweasel (since they are not directly related with the script, i listed them on swiftwesel thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3668170#post3668170)).

I installed the 2.0.0.7 version and then run the script with option base install, to get flash and java.
If anyone have the same issues, this at least work without problems.

Even with the updated deb files that were made yesterday? Perhaps there is a file that isnt being upgraded. Have you tried wiping out the contents of the /usr/local/swiftweasel32 folder and reinstalling?

Rui Pais
October 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Even with the updated deb files that were made yesterday? Perhaps there is a file that isnt being upgraded. Have you tried wiping out the contents of the /usr/local/swiftweasel32 folder and reinstalling?

hi Kilz, thanks for the answer.

I uninstalled and purged switweasel, before using the new script, but maybe some file was left beyond.
I will retry and let you know how happened.

Rui Pais
October 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
No, problem persists.
Here my ls -l /usr/local/swiftweasel32/:

-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 111 2007-10-21 06:51 browserconfig.properties
drwxr-xr-x 3 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 chrome
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 components
drwxr-xr-x 5 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 defaults
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 dictionaries
drwxr-xr-x 8 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 extensions
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rui users 11 2007-10-30 12:40 firefox -> swiftweasel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rui users 15 2007-10-30 12:40 firefox-bin -> swiftweasel-bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 greprefs
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 icons
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 launchers
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 2567 2007-10-21 06:51 LEGAL
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 476 2007-10-21 06:51 libfreebl3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 251480 2007-10-21 06:51 libfreebl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 858320 2007-10-21 06:51 libmozjs.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 215704 2007-10-21 06:51 libnspr4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 446036 2007-10-21 06:51 libnss3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 275648 2007-10-21 06:51 libnssckbi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 15772 2007-10-21 06:51 libplc4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 8720 2007-10-21 06:51 libplds4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 142000 2007-10-21 06:51 libsmime3.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 476 2007-10-21 06:51 libsoftokn3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 324328 2007-10-21 06:51 libsoftokn3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 159388 2007-10-21 06:51 libssl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 111192 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom_compat.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 772352 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom_core.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 9448 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 9204 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpistub.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 30869 2007-10-21 06:51 LICENSE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 12140 2007-10-21 06:51 mozilla-xremote-client
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 117 2007-10-21 06:51 old-homepage-default.properties
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 0 2007-10-29 17:50 oldpref
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 plugins
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 1897 2007-10-21 06:51 README-Swiftweasel
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 184 2007-10-21 06:51 readme.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 6085 2007-10-21 06:51 README.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 13062 2007-10-21 06:51 removed-files
drwxr-xr-x 6 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 res
-rwx------ 1 rui users 10492 2007-10-21 06:51 run-mozilla.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 searchplugins
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 5996 2007-10-29 20:43 swiftweasel
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 12543792 2007-10-21 06:51 swiftweasel-bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 18465 2007-10-21 06:51 swiftweasel-icon-license.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 6462 2007-10-29 22:12 swiftweasel-ran
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 83856 2007-10-21 06:51 updater
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 149 2007-10-21 06:51 updater.ini
drwxr-xr-x 3 rui rui 4096 2007-10-30 12:45 updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 33408 2007-10-21 06:51 xpicleanup

other users get:

esd: nenhum processo abortado
the settings directory exists
Cannot find mozilla runtime directory. Exiting.

if i change the settings of run-mozilla.sh to the same of 2.0.0.7 (-rwxr-xr-x), then users get:

(swiftweasel-bin:8999): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-cedilla.so: classe ELF errada: ELFCLASS64

(swiftweasel-bin:8999): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'cedilla' failed
but the browser window don't open nor even a running swiftweasel-bin is listed on top processes.
Running with sudo/gksudo swiftweal run normally...

But it works normally with 2.0.0.7, and i can live perfectly with that one, no problem.
Just curious to know if i'm the only one experimenting this...

Kilz
October 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
No, problem persists.
Here my ls -l /usr/local/swiftweasel32/:

-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 111 2007-10-21 06:51 browserconfig.properties
drwxr-xr-x 3 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 chrome
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 components
drwxr-xr-x 5 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 defaults
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 dictionaries
drwxr-xr-x 8 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 extensions
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rui users 11 2007-10-30 12:40 firefox -> swiftweasel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rui users 15 2007-10-30 12:40 firefox-bin -> swiftweasel-bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 greprefs
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 icons
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 launchers
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 2567 2007-10-21 06:51 LEGAL
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 476 2007-10-21 06:51 libfreebl3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 251480 2007-10-21 06:51 libfreebl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 858320 2007-10-21 06:51 libmozjs.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 215704 2007-10-21 06:51 libnspr4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 446036 2007-10-21 06:51 libnss3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 275648 2007-10-21 06:51 libnssckbi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 15772 2007-10-21 06:51 libplc4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 8720 2007-10-21 06:51 libplds4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 142000 2007-10-21 06:51 libsmime3.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 476 2007-10-21 06:51 libsoftokn3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 324328 2007-10-21 06:51 libsoftokn3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 159388 2007-10-21 06:51 libssl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 111192 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom_compat.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 772352 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom_core.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 9448 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpcom.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 9204 2007-10-21 06:51 libxpistub.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 30869 2007-10-21 06:51 LICENSE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 12140 2007-10-21 06:51 mozilla-xremote-client
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 117 2007-10-21 06:51 old-homepage-default.properties
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 0 2007-10-29 17:50 oldpref
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 plugins
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 1897 2007-10-21 06:51 README-Swiftweasel
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 184 2007-10-21 06:51 readme.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 6085 2007-10-21 06:51 README.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 13062 2007-10-21 06:51 removed-files
drwxr-xr-x 6 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 res
-rwx------ 1 rui users 10492 2007-10-21 06:51 run-mozilla.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 rui users 4096 2007-10-30 12:40 searchplugins
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 5996 2007-10-29 20:43 swiftweasel
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 12543792 2007-10-21 06:51 swiftweasel-bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 18465 2007-10-21 06:51 swiftweasel-icon-license.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 6462 2007-10-29 22:12 swiftweasel-ran
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 83856 2007-10-21 06:51 updater
-rw-r--r-- 1 rui users 149 2007-10-21 06:51 updater.ini
drwxr-xr-x 3 rui rui 4096 2007-10-30 12:45 updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rui users 33408 2007-10-21 06:51 xpicleanup

other users get:

if i change the settings of run-mozilla.sh to the same of 2.0.0.7 (-rwxr-xr-x), then users get:

(swiftweasel-bin:8999): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-cedilla.so: classe ELF errada: ELFCLASS64

(swiftweasel-bin:8999): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'cedilla' failed
but the browser window don't open nor even a running swiftweasel-bin is listed on top processes.
Running with sudo/gksudo swiftweal run normally...

But it works normally with 2.0.0.7, and i can live perfectly with that one, no problem.
Just curious to know if i'm the only one experimenting this...

Im not quite sure , as other users should be part of the users group and have access to the files. Running as sudo runs it as admin has access to everything.
The statment that the settings directory exists can be ignored as its the response to a check of it existing.
This error

Looks to be releated to the theme thats running. You may have to hack in the files. Go here to get the package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fg%2Fgtk%2B2.0%2Flibgtk2.0-0_2.12.0-1ubuntu3_i386.deb&md5sum=5391ae27a316510288f5fbf75cc4ec7c&arch=i386&type=main) that contains a 32bit im-cedilla.so. Extract the deb, extract the data, copy in the files from the /usr/lib in the deb you extract to /usr/lib32 in your system.

hobbes_ba
October 31st, 2007, 07:45 AM
The new script , that includes updated support for Gutsy has been tested and posted to the top post. I have also updated all debs to make Gutsy versions. :D

Hi, first of all i wanna thank you, for your incredible scripts! It helps a lot.

But, the reason I' m posting is to ask you, if possible, to build or add to your script a mplayer32 package for X86_64 based on the latest mplayer rc2?

Let's not forget the mplayer only script at the top of the post.

Thanks for reading..

veeravalli
October 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Thank you!!!

Rui Pais
October 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Im not quite sure , as other users should be part of the users group and have access to the files. Running as sudo runs it as admin has access to everything.
The statment that the settings directory exists can be ignored as its the response to a check of it existing.
This error

Looks to be releated to the theme thats running. You may have to hack in the files. Go here to get the package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fg%2Fgtk%2B2.0%2Flibgtk2.0-0_2.12.0-1ubuntu3_i386.deb&md5sum=5391ae27a316510288f5fbf75cc4ec7c&arch=i386&type=main) that contains a 32bit im-cedilla.so. Extract the deb, extract the data, copy in the files from the /usr/lib in the deb you extract to /usr/lib32 in your system.

Thanks for the info Kilz.
I checked my users, and amazed i found that although i have created they accounts with adduser under a Gutsy install (i only copied they documents from previous /home/*) none of my users belong to the ...ahhh ... users group :confused:.

So i add them, and tried again 2.0.0.8.
1st i tried to run immediately from another user, without i run it first. This is what user get:

mv: escrever por cima `/usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel-ran', substituindo o modo 0755? n
mv: escrever por cima `/usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel', substituindo o modo 0755? y
mv: não é possível mover `/usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel-start' para `/usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel': Permissão negada
User has Portuguese as default language, it means:
"mv: write over it '/usr/.../swiftweasel-run' replacing mode 0755?"
i random answer n(no) and y(yes) when it ask questions.
Last message means: mv: it's not possible mv '...' to '...'
And the browser didn't open.

Then, remembering that your script ask for user name, i run it from that user (user 1000), with success.

A second try with my user 1001:

(don't worry much about this, i put detailed info only for any possible debugging...)

About the im-cedilla.so issue, I imagined it has something to do with themes, yes, but didn't bothered enough to get a "fix". Thanks for point it out to me :)

stephanvaningen
November 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
nop

Kilz
November 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hi, first of all i wanna thank you, for your incredible scripts! It helps a lot.

But, the reason I' m posting is to ask you, if possible, to build or add to your script a mplayer32 package for X86_64 based on the latest mplayer rc2?

Let's not forget the mplayer only script at the top of the post.

Thanks for reading..

Why do you want a 32bit mplayer?

timzak
November 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Can someone provide instructions for using the script? Also, the first post has a LOT of information, and it is confusing to separate out "Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64" from everything else. I'm sorry, I am not that experienced with Ubuntu, so I'm trying to figure out which instructions to ignore, and which to follow. Can we start out with "how do I run the script"?

Thanks.

hobbes_ba
November 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Why do you want a 32bit mplayer?

Because AFAIK, MPlayer 64 bits can not make use of Win32 .dll codecs and that sometimes can make all the difference.

Right now, I' m using the Firefox 64 bits, Flash and IcedTea from the repositories, it is really stable. But Totem-Mozilla fails to playback some .asf/.avi streamings, it can play only audio and black screen.

Totem-xine plays all that, but it breaks mp3/ogg support for online radio streaming.. :(

As you can see, it is a downer.

Perhaps you could share some thoughts about Totem-Mozilla, it will be really appreciated.

Anyway, It will be great under any perspective, to have the latest Mplayer32 RC2 binary on the script files.

Thanks for reading.

crjackson
November 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Kilz,

On my Gutsy install, I have flash/Java (IceTea) installed and it all works great mostly. For the things that it doesn't like, I would like to install the 32-bit browser.

If I install the 32-bit version (w/Java & Flash) using your script, will it have any conflicts with Java & Flash already installed for the 64-Bit browser?

Thanks...

Kilz
November 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Because AFAIK, MPlayer 64 bits can not make use of Win32 .dll codecs and that sometimes can make all the difference.

Mplayer, to my knowledge no longer needs the windows codecs.

Kilz,

On my Gutsy install, I have flash/Java (IceTea) installed and it all works great mostly. For the things that it doesn't like, I would like to install the 32-bit browser.

If I install the 32-bit version (w/Java & Flash) using your script, will it have any conflicts with Java & Flash already installed for the 64-Bit browser?

Thanks...

No, the 32bit applications and plugins are installed to a different location than the 64bit ones to make extra sure.

dragon2611
November 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Can anyone provide a mirror of the script

I just get an error about comcast sitebuilder being down if it try to download it.

NullHead
November 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I've got a spare computer lying around and ill see what i can to ;)

Kilz
November 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Can anyone provide a mirror of the script

I just get an error about comcast sitebuilder being down if it try to download it.
The link like the one below doesnt work for you?

*****I have just created a new script with all new versions, including Swiftweasel. The new script will work on Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy. (http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntume/ff32-3in1-6.2.2.tar.gz)

dragon2611
November 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM

*****I have just created a new script with all new versions, including Swiftweasel. The new script will work on Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy. (http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntume/ff32-3in1-6.2.2.tar.gz)

Got it working with swift weasel thanks...

Is the version hard coded or does it just download whatever the latest version is?

Kilz
November 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Got it working with swift weasel thanks...

Is the version hard coded or does it just download whatever the latest version is?

The browser is hard coded, I have to change it with each release. But the debs that are under it are all that is needed to upgrade, you dont have to run the script again.
Also swiftweasel has a version update system that notifies you when an update is released and opens a small window to download the release.
But that may change as it looks like swiftweasel may be getting a repository.

tek1024
November 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM
Kilz, thank you for this script. I used it when I was first coming to FF/7.04 after a long, sad WinXP hiatus, and it made the re-transition much easier.

I was pleased to find that Flash is supported in the AMD64 (x86_64) release of GG/7.10 (Firefox 2.0.0.8), but when I install certain extensions, they are rejected for incompatibility (viz., Adblock Plus, Filterset.G Updater, DownThemAll, Better Gmail). Would this be corrected by using the 32-bit Firefox provided by your script?

I checked this thread to see any discussion about this, but didn't see a mention of this problem. (Would forcing the installation of firefox-3.0 help?) If this has nothing to do with 32 v. 64 bit Firefox, apologies for the offtopic; but if you've run into this, please advise.

Thanks again.

studo77
November 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
I am running Gutsy 64bit, and have on my previus install runned a Swiftweasel AMD 32bit using the script here.
I messed up the Ubuntu and had to start over. I tried installing the AMD 64bit from sourceforge:Swiftweasel. It did not work out.

Then tried to add the repository you mentioned for installing and getting updates fro 32bit swiftweasel. And installing with Synaptic, after running your script, without installing any browsers.

During all this i never got Java working right. It tested out ok on Suns testsite, but my bank does not work.

So i removed what i thought was everything: IA32xxxx, javas and firefox32, swiftweasel32 and so on.
Then i went through my folders and removed a "Java"-folder containing a security folder, the lib32-folder and a Mozilla-folder containing libjavaplugin.so.

Then i tried reinstalling with your script and now i cannot get Swiftweasel to run, i get this errormessage:

/usr/local/swiftweasel32/run-mozilla.sh: 424: /usr/local/swiftweasel32/swiftweasel-bin: not found

Any ideas?Now i want to clean my computer completely for 32bit mozilla and java, and the reinstall. I want my bank to work.

The "error" i got when running the bank-java-applet, was a greyed out swiftweasel, 100% CPU use and it stayed that way. On my previus install it worked.

/edit/
I get errors from ia32-java.

When using Synaptic:
E: ia32-sun-java6-bin: underproces post-installation script returned endstatus 127

And using the script:
hmm, now the script exits after chosing 4 for Gutsy 64bit... I used to get an error on ia32 saying a file exists, when producing a link, as well as the 127 error from above.

After a reboot i get the error of file again:

ln: make symbolic link '/usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so' to '/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists

and a purged remove from Synaptic and a dpkg -r ia32-sun-java-bin does not help, it still gives the same result.

/edit 2/
Also a sudo aptitude upgrade
W: The "upgrade" command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.
Does not help. It gives the same error and is not able to correct it.

ST.x
November 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
I first installed using the script and swiftweasel + flash + java was working then i got swiftweasel32-2.0.0.9_nocona-32bit_ubuntu_7.10_AMD64.deb to update it but now swiftweasel wont startup. I just also added the swiftweasel repo and this is what synaptic shows.

So which one should I uninstall and reinstall, since theres 2.0.0.7 and 2.0.0.9 ?

Kilz
November 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM
I first installed using the script and swiftweasel + flash + java was working then i got swiftweasel32-2.0.0.9_nocona-32bit_ubuntu_7.10_AMD64.deb to update it but now swiftweasel wont startup. I just also added the swiftweasel repo and this is what synaptic shows.

So which one should I uninstall and reinstall, since theres 2.0.0.7 and 2.0.0.9 ?

Uninstall both of them, then reinstall the 2.0.0.9 nocona deb, there is a new version.

Clancy_s
November 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Hi,

I'm new here - both to 64 bit and to Ubuntu, having done my first install last Thursday.

First of all, thanks for all the help / how-tos / links you've provided for newbies. I've installed assorted codecs, vid players and flash for 64 bit following your instructions. I'd have worked it out myself in the end but you've saved me hours fossicking through the documentation and forums. :)

I have a new install of 64 bit Gutsy, all updates, flash and codecs as per the how-to in the sticky. Then I tried running your new script. I didn't select a brower when I was running the script since I'd downloaded the latest swiftweasel deb to install afterwards.

The script ran successfully through the install of flash, java and the plugin. Then it asked my for my username (something about setting permissions, I didn't write it down) but didn't actually give me a prompt. When I typed my username and hit enter the terminal closed. The desktop folder wasn't deleted, so I assume the script didn't finish properly. I ran it again, this time I tried hitting enter first to see if I got a prompt, same result.

Does it matter and if so what should I do about it?

thanks again for your help with all this,

Anna

Kilz
November 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I'm new here - both to 64 bit and to Ubuntu, having done my first install last Thursday.

First of all, thanks for all the help / how-tos / links you've provided for newbies. I've installed assorted codecs, vid players and flash for 64 bit following your instructions. I'd have worked it out myself in the end but you've saved me hours fossicking through the documentation and forums. :)

I have a new install of 64 bit Gutsy, all updates, flash and codecs as per the how-to in the sticky. Then I tried running your new script. I didn't select a brower when I was running the script since I'd downloaded the latest swiftweasel deb to install afterwards.

The script ran successfully through the install of flash, java and the plugin. Then it asked my for my username (something about setting permissions, I didn't write it down) but didn't actually give me a prompt. When I typed my username and hit enter the terminal closed. The desktop folder wasn't deleted, so I assume the script didn't finish properly. I ran it again, this time I tried hitting enter first to see if I got a prompt, same result.

Does it matter and if so what should I do about it?

thanks again for your help with all this,

Anna

The newer scripts make directories /tmp and work in them so the desktop folder isnt deleted. Closing after putting in your user name is normal.

Clancy_s
November 27th, 2007, 03:13 AM
The newer scripts make directories /tmp and work in them so the desktop folder isnt deleted. Closing after putting in your user name is normal.

OK, I proceed with swiftweasel then.

Thanks. :)

alfredbaudisch
November 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the topic and all the work with script, etc. Everything is perfect here now. :)

Krydahl
November 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
A couple of quick questions if I may.

I'm currently running 32bit Swiftweasel with Java and Flash as installed by your script on 64 bit Feisty (works great).

I'm about to wipe everything and do a fresh Gusty install. I've seen comments about Gusty supporting Flash through the repositories and maybe Java (iced-tea??).

I'd like to stick with Swiftweasel. Is your script still the best way to go? If I use the versions in the repos will Swiftweasel pick them up if I install from a deb?

Thanks.

duga6
December 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Howdy! Another Ubuntu newb here.

I installed GG about a week ago have have Firefox as my browser. And I've been trying to install Flash for about 8 working hour now...and it still doesn't work.

I'm getting conflicting information/errors from the steps in the first post in the thread. Obviously, I'm missing something so perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

The third sentence says, "The script works on Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy." What script? There are about 16 links to various scripts on the page.

Then in purple bold, it says there's a "new script" that works for installing working flash for 64bit browsers. Yes! However, the first line says it doesn't work for Gutsy. OK...

So I made sure the initial repositories were accessible and followed the instructions under "Browser Install Script". I clicked the link for the script that says it'll work with Gusty. I've tried following the directions about 5 times on that one and get a 64bit type error.

I'm not sure what Swiftweasel, Ice weasel, etc. are. I already have FIrefox, so I don't think that section applies.

I tried a few "debs"....and they don't seem to work.

So, since the scripts didn't work for me, I was going to try the manual Howto...but the note says to NOT DO the Manual way if I'm on Gutsy. Strike two. I tried it anyway and downloaded and installed the Flash 9...didn't work. I got the 64 bit error about 6 times.

I even tried downloading the flash from adobe (when I got the error displaying video content) and still get a error upon installing

I think a saner person would have given up by now....:lolflag:

Krydahl
December 2nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
OK, I'm pretty much a newbie too, but in Gusty you don't seem to need to mess about with 32 bit versions of firefox. All I did to get flash was:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

in a terminal.

My only worry about telling you to do this is if you'd tried to follow older howtos, you might get conflicts with the crude you've installed trying to follow them. You might need to do:

sudo apt-get remove nspluginwrapper

first if you've already installed that.

Or you might want to wait for someone with more expertise to offer advice.

duga6
December 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
Oh, I"ve tried to install the flashplugin-nonfree several times. I even tried to uninstall the nspluginwrapper...all to no avail. The error I get is:

"Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by antoher package."

I got that message 4 times so far. Not sure if any repositories are unavailable or not...

RagingOcelot
December 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I wish Kilz had the 2.0.0.7 version of the 32-bit firefox still up on his site. That version worked with PartyPoker. I can't for the life of me get the 2.0.0.8 script working with PP.

Kilz, can you put the old 2.0.0.7 deb back up on your site?

drs305
December 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Oh, I"ve tried to install the flashplugin-nonfree several times. I even tried to uninstall the nspluginwrapper...all to no avail. The error I get is:

"Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by antoher package."

I got that message 4 times so far. Not sure if any repositories are unavailable or not...

It's in the multiverse repository, which is working normally.

SjoerdC
December 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
uhh.. nice solution? I did not try it, since automatix provides a nice workaround

Kilz
December 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
A couple of quick questions if I may.

I'm currently running 32bit Swiftweasel with Java and Flash as installed by your script on 64 bit Feisty (works great).

I'm about to wipe everything and do a fresh Gusty install. I've seen comments about Gusty supporting Flash through the repositories and maybe Java (iced-tea??).

I'd like to stick with Swiftweasel. Is your script still the best way to go? If I use the versions in the repos will Swiftweasel pick them up if I install from a deb?

Thanks.

I would not recommend icedtea. It is nowhere near as secure as sun java. Sun java restricts some functions of applets. So they cant do things like install files on your computer or reformat your drive from a web page. All icedtea does is warn you an applet is on the page, with no real information on if its safe to run or not. Also it will not show all applets.
But if you still want to run it, there is a 64bit version of swiftweasel available that can use those plugins. Here is a link to the swiftweasel home page. (http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/)

Kilz
December 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
.The third sentence says, "The script works on Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy." What script? There are about 16 links to various scripts on the page.

That link is to the script. You need to install one of the browsers the script installs for it to work. all it is is a browser choice and answering 3 yes or no questions, its not rocket science. Do NOT use the manual howto for Gutsy.
But if all you want is flash on gutsy (read the post above this if you need java)

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree will install flash

It sounds like you may not have Gutsy installed.

Kilz
December 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I wish Kilz had the 2.0.0.7 version of the 32-bit firefox still up on his site. That version worked with PartyPoker. I can't for the life of me get the 2.0.0.8 script working with PP.

Kilz, can you put the old 2.0.0.7 deb back up on your site?
Up until a few weeks ago I had real limited web space , I am sorry but I no longer have firefox 2.0.0.7. But the firefox deb is way old, I will have 2.0.0.11 up today. but my isp has now given me 1gb of space. So I will have everything going backwards. Ill also look and see if I can find the files to make a deb.

uhh.. nice solution? I did not try it, since automatix provides a nice workaround

Those that use automatix stand a great chance of having an unusable system. You and everyone else should stay away from it like the plague.
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

SjoerdC
December 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
hmmm did not know that -- sounds like a better trick than mine

Krydahl
December 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm confused.

I'm running 64 bit swiftweasel (2.0.0.10 deb downloaded from sourceforge, I seemed to have missed that there's a 2.0.0.11 somehow, I shall have to upgrade). It appears to be running Java and I did nothing to set it up. I did install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package (I have some old wma files I need to play) and I saw that mention java somewhere in there.

Do I have a security problem?

rsambuca
December 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM

That almost always means your sources list is messed up, and apt can't find the packages.

mschmoelzer
December 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I think i found a broken link in the script:

In line 167, the script tries to download a deb from "http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntume/ia32-alsa-oss_1.0.10-1_amd64.deb", but this only results in a 404 error page being downloaded instead.

The rest of the script seems to run without problems

Kilz
December 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I'm confused.

I'm running 64 bit swiftweasel (2.0.0.10 deb downloaded from sourceforge, I seemed to have missed that there's a 2.0.0.11 somehow, I shall have to upgrade). It appears to be running Java and I did nothing to set it up. I did install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package (I have some old wma files I need to play) and I saw that mention java somewhere in there.

Do I have a security problem?
Its possible. I would be very careful as to what sites I allow to run java applets if I were you. There is no sun java (the safe one) for 64bit.

Hello,

I think i found a broken link in the script:

In line 167, the script tries to download a deb from "http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntume/ia32-alsa-oss_1.0.10-1_amd64.deb", but this only results in a 404 error page being downloaded instead.

The rest of the script seems to run without problems

Thanks, comcast recently gave me 1gb of web space per email address. They used to give 25meg. So I consolidated all the packages on one account. I must have missed uploading that file. Its in place now.

Krydahl
December 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Kilz,

When I do java - version all I get is:

java version "1.6.0_03"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)

When I type about:plugins Swiftweasel lists: Shockwave Flash, Totem Web Browser, Windows Media Player, DivX Web Player, QuickTIme and the Default Plugin.

The only one of these I install deliberately was Flash. I'm assuming the rest came from the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. None of them seem to account for why Java seems to work.

Any ideas?

Krydahl
December 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
OK, it occurred to me that maybe I should check that Java is really running so I went to the main Java site which - surprise surprise - says it isn't.

What confuses me is why some menus on a site I visit regularly that need Java seem to work. :confused:

Kilz
December 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
OK, it occurred to me that maybe I should check that Java is really running so I went to the main Java site which - surprise surprise - says it isn't.

What confuses me is why some menus on a site I visit regularly that need Java seem to work. :confused:

If you are running the 64bit swiftweasel from sourceforge the 32bit plugins from this howto and the repositories will not work with it.

Krydahl
December 5th, 2007, 11:35 PM
If you are running the 64bit swiftweasel from sourceforge the 32bit plugins from this howto and the repositories will not work with it.

Sure, I realise that. I wasn't clear on what you could get from the repositories so I decided to see how good the 64bit version was. I thought I needed java, but I've not run into a site that's giving me trouble without it yet, so I figure I'll stick with the 64 bit version until I find something I need java for - then I'll switch to 32 bit with your script.

rsambuca
December 5th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Perhaps you are confusing the actual java with javascript.

Krydahl
December 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah, you're right. The sites I thought needed java only really need javascript. I definitely haven't got a jre pluggin on the browser. But, since I don't often need one, I'll worry about it another day.

rsambuca
December 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, you're right. The sites I thought needed java only really need javascript. I definitely haven't got a jre pluggin on the browser. But, since I don't often need one, I'll worry about it another day.

I was actually surprised how little of the sites I visit actually require java. It seems people tend to frequent a lot of java sites or almost none at all.

manuthomas
December 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
hi guys,
am so happy today! finally i am able to see youtube videos!!
though i tried following a lot of steps detailed in various forums nothing was working for me. i used the script provided in the thread also. the error message was the same. some dependencies problems. mostly related with
lib32asound2

after a lot of trifling around i finally got the solution. run this command:

apt-get -f install
it will take some time to get installed and all...and then install which ever 32 bit browser u want.(use the script provided. it is easy)
hope this comment is useful to some of the newbies like me out there...
...regards

erichnewell
December 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
You state that this script has been updated for Gutsy, however there is no such option when the 3in1 script is started.

Is the link referencing the wrong version or ???

Kilz
December 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM
You state that this script has been updated for Gutsy, however there is no such option when the 3in1 script is started.

Is the link referencing the wrong version or ???

This is the very first question the script asks. Copied directly from the terminal, I see Gutsy, do you see it?

This script is used to setup your system for a 32bit browser.

Please select the version of the Ubuntu you are installing to.
Install options are :

1 : Dapper Drake 6.06 LTR
2 : Edgy Eft 6.10
3 : Feisty Fawn 7.04
4 : Gutsy Gibbon 7.10

Install option (1-4)? :

akwatve
December 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
This is one of the most helpful Howto I have ever read.
Thanks a zillion Klitz

Zarin Denatrose
December 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I've been trying for an hour a day for the last WEEK to get any of the flash working.
I've tried the Firefox32 solution to no avail, I just used the wrapper for the 64 but version.
In both instances, I've got no sound, and I have followed all the instructions, installed all the packages and I still can't hear.

Dos anyone know where I'd begin to fix this?

RavanH
December 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I've been trying for an hour a day for the last WEEK to get any of the flash working.
I've tried the Firefox32 solution to no avail, I just used the wrapper for the 64 but version.
In both instances, I've got no sound, and I have followed all the instructions, installed all the packages and I still can't hear.

Dos anyone know where I'd begin to fix this?

Have you tried installing Swiftweasel 64bit? I followed Kilz's how-to on http://tghc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4 but that seems to be down... Kilz? What happened?

Anyway, the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442812 is about Swiftweasel64 and there are discussions about flash and java too... Maybe you can figure out how to install. It was not difficult as I remember.

Just get the right deb version of swiftweasel and then install java blackdown and the flash-plugin packages from Synaptic.

RavanH
December 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
double post... sorry :/

dkaplowitz
December 17th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the script!

JimBuntu
December 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I am so new at this that i need a how to for the how to...

I am confused, in the automated install section, you say"install the base-plugin script" and "run this script". How do i do that? Please give step by step as i do not now how to use terminal on my own.

also, you say "install from the folder that extracts". I know this is a stupid question but what does that mean?

Please give extreme layman terms and directions.

Thanks for the newb help.

Kilz
December 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
I am so new at this that i need a how to for the how to...

I am confused, in the automated install section, you say"install the base-plugin script" and "run this script". How do i do that? Please give step by step as i do not now how to use terminal on my own.

also, you say "install from the folder that extracts". I know this is a stupid question but what does that mean?

Please give extreme layman terms and directions.

Thanks for the newb help.

Download script file
Right click on it and choose extract here
It will create a folder with script inside.
in the folder find the script and double click on it
Select run in terminal
answer easy questions.

mastergunner
December 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Where is the link for this script that is being talked about?

rsambuca
December 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Where is the link for this script that is being talked about?

First post of the thread.

mastergunner
December 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Got it so this is not a fix for running 64bit firefox but a regession to 32 bit.

rsambuca
December 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Got it so this is not a fix for running 64bit firefox but a regession to 32 bit.

Title pretty much says it all.

Kilz
December 24th, 2007, 05:52 AM

While it installs a 32bit firefox. It does install fully functional sun java plugin. That is not available for 64bit firefox.

benrboone
December 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
your post and how to(s) have saved me many times Appreciate the work you have done. For Gusty I didn't need it. But I have used your install scripts and how to for every addition since 6.06:):)

JayBee808
December 27th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I am using Gutsy 64-bit. I ran the script, and Flash is working in firefox. However, Update Manager is giving me this error:

Software index is broken
It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

If I run that command, flash stops working. Firefox hangs on any page with flash (the windows turns gray, and stops responding).

I had tried to install gnash, and the flash from the repositories before I found this post with the script. I'm pretty sure I completely removed the previous installs before running the script.

Any advice to get the update manager AND flash working again?
Thank you so much,
Jon

JayBee808
December 27th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Sorry, I posted to the wrong forum.
Should have been here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924).

nix4me
December 28th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Kilz,

Do you have a howto for Debian systems? I noticed some of the packages that you have installed are not in the Debian repositories.

I run several Debian "Lenny" machines that I would like to get 32bit Swiftweasel with flash/java running.

Thanks

anyo409
December 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Kilz ! This post is for you.

Thanks a bunch for writing this script.

You are the man!

Kilz
December 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Kilz,

Do you have a howto for Debian systems? I noticed some of the packages that you have installed are not in the Debian repositories.

I run several Debian "Lenny" machines that I would like to get 32bit Swiftweasel with flash/java running.

Thanks

The packages are not even in the Ubuntu repositories. I host a lot of my own files. There shouldn't be any problems using it them on a debian system. They make folders /user/local/swiftweasel and /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins so they shouldnt conflict with anything.
Swiftweasel32 is hosted by the swiftweasel project. They have a ubuntu repository, but those packages should install without any problems either.

nix4me
December 31st, 2007, 05:00 AM
My Firefox is cashing about twice a day. Hard to pinpoint what is causing it. It's certainly flash or java.

I'm at the end of my rope with sun and adobe. Why can't they just produce something that works.

Victormd
January 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The script worked fine. The only problem is that every now and then firefox32 will lock the whole system (I've waited ~5min. to see if it would come back and nothing) so I have to hard-restart the computer (CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE does nothing). Any thoughts?

Kilz
January 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM
The script worked fine. The only problem is that every now and then firefox32 will lock the whole system (I've waited ~5min. to see if it would come back and nothing) so I have to hard-restart the computer (CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE does nothing). Any thoughts?

Just 2, lock ups (like you describe) are sometimes caused by video drivers, do you have the latest driver from the card's makers installed? Other things that can cause problems are desktop effects. You can disable them and then see if the problem persists.

Victormd
January 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
My video card is a Nvidia FX5200 and I do have Compiz Fusion installed, up and running. I've checked for updates (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade) and nothing came up. Is there another way to check restricted drivers for updates?
I'll try disabling my desktop effects to see what happens... but then comes another question. If it's an issue with desktop effects, is there a work around?
Thanks

Kilz
January 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
My video card is a Nvidia FX5200 and I do have Compiz Fusion installed, up and running. I've checked for updates (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade) and nothing came up. Is there another way to check restricted drivers for updates?
I'll try disabling my desktop effects to see what happens... but then comes another question. If it's an issue with desktop effects, is there a work around?
Thanks

I dont know of any, but at least you will have some idea what to be looking for. Id try to disable as the first step, its easy to do and undo. You might also want to install the actual drivers from nvidia, not the ones in the repositories.

Ron Byers
January 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The problem with Kiliz's solution is that it requires you to use 32 bit software. That might have been acceptable a couple of years ago, but it isn't any more. 64 bit systems are mainstream.

What amazes me is that the problem this thread is intended to fix is described up and down the forum, some other threads having many thousands of views and hundreds of reports, but seemingly no one but Kilz is trying to solve the problem. Everybody is waiting for Hardy.

Lets face it the nspluginwrapper is has a serious memory handling flaw, but nobody wants to admit it.

Kilz
January 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
The problem with Kiliz's solution is that it requires you to use 32 bit software. That might have been acceptable a couple of years ago, but it isn't any more. 64 bit systems are mainstream.

What amazes me is that the problem this thread is intended to fix is described up and down the forum, some other threads having many thousands of views and hundreds of reports, but seemingly no one but Kilz is trying to solve the problem. Everybody is waiting for Hardy.

Lets face it the nspluginwrapper is has a serious memory handling flaw, but nobody wants to admit it.

The problem is you are assuming that the only reason to use this howto and script is Flash. It isnt , there is no Sun Java plugin and the icedtea and Blackdown plugins to not work on every page. Untill Java 7 is released I will support this howto. Secondly, a 32bit browser is not a big number crunching application. It gets next to nothing in performance increase, especially since the code is not optimized for 64bit. Its 32bit code compiled to run on 64bit.
Lastly, people waiting on Hardy imho to fix any plugin issues are in for a letdown. The developers have known since before Edgy was released (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-September/020552.html) (Sep of 2006)that the issues exist, but they have done nothing. They cant, the plugins are proprietary.

NullHead
January 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
The problem is you are assuming that the only reason to use this howto and script is Flash. It isnt , there is no Sun Java plugin and the icedtea and Blackdown plugins to not work on every page. Untill Java 7 is released I will support this howto. Secondly, a 32bit browser is not a big number crunching application. It gets next to nothing in performance increase, especially since the code is not optimized for 64bit. Its 32bit code compiled to run on 64bit.
Lastly, people waiting on Hardy imho to fix any plugin issues are in for a letdown. The developers have known since before Edgy was released (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-September/020552.html) (Sep of 2006)that the issues exist, but they have done nothing. They cant, the plugins are proprietary.

Why would you say untill Java 7? Is there going be a 64bit version of java?

Just curious :p

Victormd
January 7th, 2008, 02:10 AM
a 32bit browser is not a big number crunching application. It gets next to nothing in performance increase, especially since the code is not optimized for 64bit. Its 32bit code compiled to run on 64bit.

This is very true. Unless you're using graphical and processor intensive software, 32 and 64bits are practically the same!

Kilz, I've disabled the desktop effects... Now I'm using Firefox32 and so far no lock ups. However, what bothers me is that, if it is in fact a video driver problem, the system would lock up randomly, no only when running Firefox32. I've NEVER had a system lock up prior to installing Firefox32. Also, this is my second Ubuntu install. The first time I installed it, I used this script and everything worked fine, but the system locked a couple of times as well (I was experimenting then and could have messed up my system with something else). Now, I was more aware of what I was doing and the lock-ups began after using your script.
Let's see how long this will go without locking up now that I've disabled desktop effects... :)

Kilz
January 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Why would you say untill Java 7? Is there going be a 64bit version of java?

Just curious :p

Yes, Sun Java 7 is supposed to have a 64bit plugin. I honestly cant wait, when it is released the last reason to support this howto will be gone.

This is very true. Unless you're using graphical and processor intensive software, 32 and 64bits are practically the same!

Kilz, I've disabled the desktop effects... Now I'm using Firefox32 and so far no lock ups. However, what bothers me is that, if it is in fact a video driver problem, the system would lock up randomly, no only when running Firefox32. I've NEVER had a system lock up prior to installing Firefox32. Also, this is my second Ubuntu install. The first time I installed it, I used this script and everything worked fine, but the system locked a couple of times as well (I was experimenting then and could have messed up my system with something else). Now, I was more aware of what I was doing and the lock-ups began after using your script.
Let's see how long this will go without locking up now that I've disabled desktop effects... :)

Let me know, you might also want to try 32bit swiftweasel. To me its a better built firefox and has fewer issues.

NullHead
January 7th, 2008, 05:30 AM
A quick google search showed me this page (https://jdk7.dev.java.net/) I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about. Please is there a wiki or page I can read up on Java 7?

Kilz
January 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
A quick google search showed me this page (https://jdk7.dev.java.net/) I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about. Please is there a wiki or page I can read up on Java 7?

Yes that is the project, as you see from it, its still under development, no plugin yet. The only documentation you will likely find will be on that page..

Victormd
January 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
you might also want to try 32bit swiftweasel. To me its a better built firefox and has fewer issues.

Well, to no luck, removing the desktop effects did not do the trick. Yesterday night my comp. locked up again... ohh well, took your advice and installed swiftweasel but enabled desktop effects. Want to see what goes on.

Thanks for the tip.

Victormd
January 8th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Kilz, just an update... both swiftweasel and firefox32 are crashing my comp (with/without desktop effects). Those are the only aplications that cause this. I can use firefox64 on any web page with/without flash/java and nothing happens... well... flash doesn't always work... but hey, it doesn't make me restart. I have blender installed and use it quite a bit and has never crashed so I really don't think it's a video driver issue. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.
Thanks!

Shakey_Jake33
January 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Using the method in the initial post, Flash doesn't install for me because the version on the Adobe page lacks the .xpt file. However, a quick Google search told me that you can grab the same file from the Solaris install and put it inside the Linux version tarball and it will work.

Just a quick heads-up.