PDA

View Full Version : Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Pejalo
January 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I used the automated install for Firefox 2.0 on Edgy. It hung up a few times while downloading some files and made me reenter my sudo password but in the end it seemed to finish properly. When I try to run firefox from the menu, the little task bar thing comes up that says "Starting.." but then just disappears. Running firefox32 in a terminal gives me these errors:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/local/firefox32/run-mozilla.sh: 424: /usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: not found

ALSO:
When clicking on the orange update icon on the top right of my screen, I get the following error:

http://pejalo.net/firefox32.jpg

$ sudo apt-get install -f

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
firefox32 ia32-libs libc6-i386 lib32gcc1 ia32-libs-gtk lib32z1 lib32stdc++6
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
firefox32
The following NEW packages will be installed:
ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 16.4MB/23.8MB of archives.
After unpacking 63.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

My guess is the installer just did not get everything it needed to? What should I do? Thanks in advance!

nullaresnata
January 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Same problem here.

tonyr1988
January 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Exact same problem over here. I've got Beryl (looks like you do too, Pejalo) if that makes a difference. Besides that, I've got a fairly fresh install.

Pejalo
January 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
nullaresnata and tonyr, I have no idea what caused the errors, but after playing around a bit I seem to have everything working. I may have installed something unneccessary, but this is what I remember doing. If any steps don't work as described, I'd stop the process and post your problem here so someone can help.

First, run 'sudo apt-get install -f' like the software update tells you to (and hit Y). This should fix any errors from Synaptic or the updater, also deinstalling Firefox.

Run
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk gsfonts gsfonts-x11 linux32 as described in the Manual Howto section of this howto to get any packages Firefox might need. I don't know if these are even needed for 2.0, but I did it just to be safe.

This following instructions are taken from the 'automatic' script. It downloads libraries needed for Firefox 2.0, and installs them. It then downloads the browser, installs it, and permits the command firefox32 to be executable.

cd ~/Desktop
sudo wget -c http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb

sudo wget -c http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/firefox32

At this point Firefox32 should be in your menu under Applications > Internet. Make sure you close all browser windows you might have open, then see if it works. Go to Help > About Mozilla Firefox and it should show 'Linux i686' somewhere. The 32bit version still kept all my installed bookmarks, cookies, even extensions. When I run firefox32 from a terminal, I still get similar errors to the ones posted above, but the window opens.

I then installed Flash 7 and Java using the directions from the manual how-to. The sound seemed to be way off while playing a video in Flash.. I might have forgotten the sound package from the manual how-to. But I remember the sound in youtube videos being terribly off back in the days of 32bit Ubuntu Dapper anyway.

I hope this provides you guys with some kind of direction, let me know whether you get it working!

edit: I just installed Flash 9 and the sound issue seems to be a lot better. Also, Flash 7 wasn't dispalying text correctly, as well as many of the objects in some Flash games I tried. I recommend just installing Flash 9. When you go to this site (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html) as described, you want the 'installer for linux' file, not the standalone player.

CeeDub
January 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Has anyone else had firefox32 crashing on them? It seems that it only crashes with JavaScript, but I'm not sure if that's the only instance of it crashing. I don't know how to fix it or if I can. Can anyone help me out?

martvi
January 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The script mplayer-plugin, used to install mplayer with all libraries, starts with an error. The second line reads
md ~/Desktop/install
This should be
mkdir ~/Desktop/install

pla7ma
January 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I am working with edgy 64bit and have used the automatic install script, everything works fine except java, going to an applet page makes the browser crash, and I see the following on the console:
(firefox-bin:1475): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
(QFA)Talkback error: Can't initialize.
current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultINTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: SendRequest: Read of ack failed: 0

System error?:: Success

I tried this chown .. that is proposed on the first page and also some disabling,enabling as proposed somewhere on page 44 of the thread, but no luck. what else could I try?
thanx

Exclamation
January 16th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hey Kilz,
Do you think you could make a version with the ubuntu version?
Problem with the mozilla one is that it looks like crap with murrine themes :(
Hope to hear from you soon, keep up the great work,
Ex

alvenegas
January 16th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I tried using the 64bit firefox with nspluginwrappers and java was crashing badly, so I tried firefox32, however,
although now flash is working properly, java is still crashing badly...it cannot handle the page and then it shutdown.
When invoking firefox32 through the shell this is what I get:

esd: no process killed

(firefox-bin:19813): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

now that is correct that it does not hurt the browser, but once I open a page with java this is what it
says:

current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultINTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: SendRequest: Read of ack failed: 0

I am running Edgy on Intel Core2Duo. I removed nspluginwrapper and I have still on the system
the j2re for 64. I think this shouldn't matter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

alvenegas
January 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Okay, after two days of waiting for the author of this thread to answer my previous
posting, I went scavenging the net for answers and finally got Java running.
Well, basically this thread is similar to the following Ubuntu documentationpage
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava

Although there is no large difference between them, I went and grabbed the latest java
version....this time from Sun (not BlackDown):
http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=10872

now everything seems to be running fine. However, I still get the following error message:
(firefox-bin:5815): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
but it does not affect it too much. I also commented the following line from /usr/local/bin/firefox32
#export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0
to avoid having the bunch of errors regarding libpangohack.so.0

Hope this works,

Alberto

jgf621
January 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
I followed instructions for installing Acrobat and got this:

Do you want to install the browser plugin ? [y/n] y

trap: 634: SIGINT: bad trap
Please login again for changes to MIME types and icons to take effect.

Suggestion?
:frown:

bsalt
January 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
You're a miracle worker, killz! Thanks for this help!

Lazar/A
January 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Hello,

First let me thank you for the great job on the script and How-to. However, I'm having some issues getting Flash to work on edgy 64-bit. I installed firefox32 without any problems. It is working great, so is the java plugin.

But Flash will always crash the browser. It doesn't matter which version I use, 7 or the beta 9. I removed any trace of firefox from the system and completely reinstalled it. I made sure there were no double libflash.so files anywhere.

If I run firefox32 in a console and go to any website containing flash I just get the following error:

Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 86 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I really have no idea what could be wrong :(. I must say I haven't been able to get the stand-alone Flash 9 player to run either. It does not crash, but simply shows nothing :(.

Internet without Flash is kinda difficult in this day and age. Anyone have any ideas?

It is probably the x11 composite module.

Insert this into your firefox script /usr/bin/firefox:

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Or disable the composite module by deleting

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Solutions were found here (http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Transparency#Mozilla_.28Firefox.2 9_crash_Issue_with_Flash).

gaillard
January 27th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Does this howto work good for edgy for getting firefox and java up and going or should I use the howto from here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firefox2AMD64Flash9Java?highlight=%28java%29%7C%28 64%29

Thanks everyone!

Angafirith
January 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I finally got this FAQ to work after reformatting my laptop and installing Edgy final on it. I only have one problem: I cannot print in the 32-bit browser. Is there any solution to this, or am I just stuck?

gaillard
January 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Does it give you an error message or something because I don't see how that effects the printing command...?

Angafirith
January 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
There's no error message, but the printer doesn't come up in the print dialog. The only thing present there is "PostScript/default". When I open my 64-bit Firefox, it lets me print without issue.

I figure that I'm just missing a library or something, but I don't know where to start. Can anyone here print from the 32-bit firefox?

gaillard
January 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Well in the properties beside the default I beleive you just enter a standard lp unix command. I am new to this too but to print in unix I think its the lp command and I noticed that was in there. With in the command you reference a printer, so perhaps you just include yours in that command, who knows though.. certainly not me...

If you notice 64 bit has the same thing, so you just need to put your printer device within the lp command.

xcile
February 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Install went well however firefox32 is unable to detect DNS settings within resolv.conf loaded back to firefox64 and works fine no trouble at all. Went back to firefox32 and put in IP rather then name and site game up.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I could fix this?.

Thank you

Paqman
February 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Great guide, works like a charm, thanks!

Seryozha
February 5th, 2007, 06:17 AM
ok.. So i FINALLY get sound with flash 9. I close the browser and re open and my flash is reverted back to flash 7 and i have no sound. I reinstall flash 9 and it works again... of course only till i close my browser. What gives?

Angafirith
February 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM
ok.. So i FINALLY get sound with flash 9. I close the browser and re open and my flash is reverted back to flash 7 and i have no sound. I reinstall flash 9 and it works again... of course only till i close my browser. What gives?

Try using the command "firefox32" from the command line. If your launchers are set to run "firefox", it will probably still run the 64-bit version.

psi36
February 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I try to run the installer, but it doesn't except /usr/lib32/firefox32/ as installation path:

$ sudo linux32 ./install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer

Copyright(C) 2002-2006 Adobe Macromedia Software LLC. All rights reserved.

Adobe Flash Player 9 for Linux

Adobe Flash Player 9 will be installed on this machine.

You are running the Adobe Flash Player installer as the "root" user.
Adobe Flash Player 9 will be installed system-wide.

Support is available at http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/

To install Adobe Flash Player 9 now, press ENTER.

To cancel the installation at any time, press Control-C.

NOTE: Please exit any browsers you may have running.

Press ENTER to continue...

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, SeaMonkey,
or Firefox browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib32/firefox32/
dir= /usr/lib32/firefox32/

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

or Firefox browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

I haven't found anyone else with the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Seryozha
February 6th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I try to run the installer, but it doesn't except /usr/lib32/firefox32/ as installation path:

$ sudo linux32 ./install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer

Copyright(C) 2002-2006 Adobe Macromedia Software LLC. All rights reserved.

Adobe Flash Player 9 for Linux

Adobe Flash Player 9 will be installed on this machine.

You are running the Adobe Flash Player installer as the "root" user.
Adobe Flash Player 9 will be installed system-wide.

Support is available at http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/

To install Adobe Flash Player 9 now, press ENTER.

To cancel the installation at any time, press Control-C.

NOTE: Please exit any browsers you may have running.

Press ENTER to continue...

or Firefox browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib32/firefox32/
dir= /usr/lib32/firefox32/

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

or Firefox browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

I haven't found anyone else with the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

The path is /usr/local/firefox32

Seryozha
February 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Try using the command "firefox32" from the command line. If your launchers are set to run "firefox", it will probably still run the 64-bit version.

I ran firefox32 from the terminal and it did load the 64 bit version. Now what?

Seryozha
February 7th, 2007, 02:57 AM
:: Bump :::guitar:

Popoi
February 7th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Is there a way to put a Firefox traslation package in this installation? My Firefox32 is in english and I want it in spanish.

Seryozha
February 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Bumpity

dfreer
February 14th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I also had problems with the Flash installer not accepting the install path. So this is what i did instead :D

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
sudo tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
cd /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
sudo mv ~/install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/
sudo mv ~/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/

I also was able to get mplayer plugin working in Firefox32, although I did it a couple of days ago and can't *quite* remember all the steps. If anyone would care to try out my solution and let me know if it works for them...

This is pretty much the same as the mplayer-script, just with a few modifications...

mkdir ~/Desktop/install
cd ~/Desktop/install/
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs gsfonts alsa-oss mplayer
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl
sudo wget -c http://ubuntu.mirrors.tds.net/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/m/mplayerplug-in/mozilla-mplayer_3.17-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -x mozilla-mplayer_3.17-1ubuntu1_i386.deb ~/Desktop/install
sudo cp ~/Desktop/install/etc/* /etc
sudo cp ~/Desktop/install/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

sudo chmod a+x /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/*.so

wget -c http://folk.ntnu.no/grannas/debs/mplayer32_1.0pre7-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i mplayer32_1.0pre7-1_amd64.deb
sudo mv /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/mplayer64
sudo mv /usr/bin/mplayer32 /usr/bin/mplayer
wget -c http://www.people.virginia.edu/~drf8f/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20060501.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf essential-20060501.tar.bz2
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/win32
sudo cp essential-20060501/* /usr/lib/win32/
sudo rm -fdr ~/Desktop/install

um i can't remember, but i'm pretty sure i got that essential package somewhere else and already had it installed, so I skipped that step myself. after restarting firefox32, I went to apple's movie trailer site, and I noticed that mplayer would load, start pre-caching the video, but then fail to play it. So i right-clicked in the window, went to configure... noticed that the video output had nothing selected for it. Changed it to xv, i think i might've tweaked a few other settings but that was pretty much it, mplayer works right now!

I do remember fiddling with /usr/bin/gmplayer it seems that this is simple a symbolic link to /usr/bin/mplayer and handles the gui of mplayer in gnome. If you are having problems launching mplayer, simply make sure that after you replace the default mplayer with mplayer32 that this link is still valid.

Titi
February 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
hi, first of all, a lot of thanks for this script. i think it worked...
but: i have a few questions
after running the script, when i start firefox, everything works fine. Java works, whereas it didn't before. but when i go to "about mozilla firefox", it says " Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); nl; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061208 Firefox/2.0.0.1", while i would expect something with 32 instead of 64. same thing happens when i use "firefox32" in the terminal. so i wonder if i really installed the 32bit version of firefox.
also, when i use the update manager, it says:
Software index is broken

It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.
when i run the command, it wants to install j2re1.4. should i do this? because everything's working fine now and i'm afraid it might effect something. i don't know.

thing is, i ran the script a few days ago, then i ran the command "sudo apt-get install -f" and today i noticed the java plugins had disappeared. so when i ran the script again, tha plugins were there again. i'm afraid to lose them when i install the j2re1.4.
i'm sorry if my question seems unclear...

dfreer
February 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
try opening the system monitor
System > Administration > System Monitor
Close all firefox windows, and kill any firefox processes that may be running.
Make sure to start Firefox32, go to the Help > About Firefox
It should say i686 with nothing about x86_64.

Titi
February 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
try opening the system monitor
System > Administration > System Monitor
Close all firefox windows, and kill any firefox processes that may be running.
Make sure to start Firefox32, go to the Help > About Firefox
It should say i686 with nothing about x86_64.
thanks, that works. so now if i install that update, it would still work?

Titi
February 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
ok, so now i've installed j2re1.4, and the Java plugins in both firefox and firefox32 are gone. but i think i have the solution. i have once installed j2re1.4 and the mozilla plugin through Synaptic, because i thought i would need it. but i guess it doesn't "work" with the script. so i removed it completely in Sybnaptic, i'll run the script again and i expect the problem to be solved then..

EDIT: indeed, problem solved. thanks again for the howto and the script!

Snookered
February 20th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Following Kilz instructions on his website, while installing Adobe Reader for FF32. I ran the install command, and got this error;

Do you want to install the browser plugin ? [y/n] y
trap: 634: SIGINT: bad trap
Please login again for changes to MIME types and icons to take effect.

I've gone as far as rebooting and still get this msg. Can anyone explain why?

By the way, I've followed Kilz tutorials to install FF32 and java with no problems!

Snookered
February 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
OK. Checked the about:plugins on Firefox32 and Adobe is installed and works.

From about:plugins-

Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so
The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

MIME Type = * / Description= All types / Suffixes= .* / Enabled= No

Is this why I got the error mentioned in my last post? Does this need to fixed? If so, how?

Spr0k3t
February 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to say that I tried this tutorial and it worked without any problems through the script. Well done!

Off to watch some IllWillPress

Kilz
February 24th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I have been away awhile. But I have just uploaded 2 new scripts today (one to fix the mplayer plugin in Edgy) and edited the manual howto to Flash 9.

Songwind
February 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Kilz,

Thanks a ton for collecting all this, and doing all that work on the installer script. I now have Firefox32 running nicely with minimal headaches.

You might want to make it clearer that the script depends on being in the Desktop directory, though. I almost never put anything on the Desktop so I moved it to a location more in line with my organization, and wasn't I surprised when it ran for a while but nothing worked. :)

Thanks again,
Songwind

Kilz
February 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Kilz,

Thanks a ton for collecting all this, and doing all that work on the installer script. I now have Firefox32 running nicely with minimal headaches.

You might want to make it clearer that the script depends on being in the Desktop directory, though. I almost never put anything on the Desktop so I moved it to a location more in line with my organization, and wasn't I surprised when it ran for a while but nothing worked. :)

Thanks again,
Songwind

Yes, I am self taught, and while I have learned a lot. The script does need to be ran from the folder it extracts on the Desktop. I will add it to the next readme file. By the way, What version did you install the newest script for Edgy?

volkyl
February 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Kilz,

Another huge vote of thanks for taking the time to put this script together. Firefox32 with flash video works fine, but for the life of me I still can't get sound to work in flash. Here are three different approaches I've tried, each with appropriate browser restarts:

killall esd

2. installing alsa-oss and changing /etc/firefox/firefoxrc: FIREFOX_DSP="esd". I also tried setting it to "auto" and "alsa", but with no luck.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
sudo mkdir -p /tmp/.esd/
sudo touch /tmp/.esd/socket

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help out. Apologies in advance if the solution is somewhere in this 54 page thread; I admit I got tired of digging around.

Songwind
February 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Yes, I am self taught, and while I have learned a lot. The script does need to be ran from the folder it extracts on the Desktop. I will add it to the next readme file. By the way, What version did you install the newest script for Edgy?

Yep, first I downloaded the original script and tried it while you were uploading the new one. Quite a coincidence.

Then the new script had the same behavior, but rather than click it I used the terminal window and tried it that way, so I could easily go back and review the output. I saw that it was looking for ~/Desktop so I moved my extracted directories and it worked great.

junnuh
February 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks warm Kilz!

I followed manual howto and everything went fine. Now I have Adobe, Flash and Java working.

But Mplayer not, the Script doesn't work, do you have manual howto for it.

Very warm thanks to you Kilz you saved my faith to AMD64.

junnuh

tkrisz
February 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Thank you Kilz for the scripts and the Howto again.
I successfully updated to 2.0 thanks to you.

I suggest to remove the remark in the Howto leading to my post regarding the languages.
It worked for 1.5 but didn't work for me in 2.0. So it can be misleading.
It is actually simpler, go to:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/xpi/

and drag+drop your xpi into the previously opened Add-ons window. Restart browser.
(Be sure, that the version number exactly match, first i tried .../releases/2.0.0.1/lin..., no wonder it did not work.)

Kilz
February 25th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Thank you Kilz for the scripts and the Howto again.
I successfully updated to 2.0 thanks to you.

I suggest to remove the remark in the Howto leading to my post regarding the languages.
It worked for 1.5 but didn't work for me in 2.0. So it can be misleading.
It is actually simpler, go to:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/xpi/

and drag+drop your xpi into the previously opened Add-ons window. Restart browser.
(Be sure, that the version number exactly match, first i tried .../releases/2.0.0.1/lin..., no wonder it did not work.)

I just changed the link to your new post :)

Kilz
February 25th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Thanks warm Kilz!

I followed manual howto and everything went fine. Now I have Adobe, Flash and Java working.

But Mplayer not, the Script doesn't work, do you have manual howto for it.

Very warm thanks to you Kilz you saved my faith to AMD64.

junnuh

The manual howto is real old. I mainly leave it up so people with old installs can trouble shoot problems if they pop up. I think the mplayer script was my first script :) I just replaced it in the plugins section. But I recommend people run the auto install script rather than the manual howto.

junnuh
February 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Warm thanks Kilz!

The auto install script tomplayer worked, Yeah!!!

But I have a problem with Adobe. It opens pdf-formulas ok and I am able to fill a pdf-formula in internet ( yes after 1 and half years when I left Win98 behind me and changed to Ubuntu) but I can' print it, it just goes to a plank Firefox window without any warnings.

Can you help me with this problem, I would be very gratefull.

Yes but flash works very well and so does Java and now mplayer so what I have learned: the most of it works!

Very warm thanks from junnuh

fatsheep
February 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Thanks again for this service you're doing the community. I Just downloaded and installed Firefox 32 with Flash 9 and everything works great - the sound doesn't even jump anymore when I'm listening to pandora! :) Keep up the good work.

-sheep

Kilz
February 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks again for this service you're doing the community. I Just downloaded and installed Firefox 32 with Flash 9 and everything works great - the sound doesn't even jump anymore when I'm listening to pandora! :) Keep up the good work.

-sheep

Its my pleasure to help. But I fear it may end with Edgy. I just installed Feisty and cant connect to the internet with the 32bit browser. But Feisty is only on herd 4, perhaps its a bug that will be fixed.
Warm thanks Kilz!

The auto install script tomplayer worked, Yeah!!!

But I have a problem with Adobe. It opens pdf-formulas ok and I am able to fill a pdf-formula in internet ( yes after 1 and half years when I left Win98 behind me and changed to Ubuntu) but I can' print it, it just goes to a plank Firefox window without any warnings.

Can you help me with this problem, I would be very gratefull.

Yes but flash works very well and so does Java and now mplayer so what I have learned: the most of it works!

Very warm thanks from junnuh

Printing from the browser has always been a problem. I havent been able to fix it because it would require a huge chunk of 32bit code (32bit printing system). But it is possible to print to a file, then open the file and print it.

fatsheep
February 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Its my pleasure to help. But I fear it may end with Edgy. I just installed Feisty and cant connect to the internet with the 32bit browser. But Feisty is only on herd 4, perhaps its a bug that will be fixed.

I don't think I can live without pandora or youtube so let's hope it will be fixed! ;)

junnuh
February 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks Kilz!

Okei I still have everything else working.

I think I don't need Adobe, how can I get rid off it! Ubuntu's pdfviewewr opens pdf formats perfectly well so I can always print them and fill by pencil!

warm thanks, you have done very good work!

junnuh

Kilz
February 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't think I can live without pandora or youtube so let's hope it will be fixed! ;)

I think it has something to do with ipv6.

Kilz
March 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Its ipv6, after disabling it everything works like a champ.So the script will work in Feisty.

junnuh
March 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Hello again Kilz!

Because I'm not an expert:) can you tell me te commands in terminal wich I need to remove Adobe. I really don't need it , thanks to Ubuntu:guitar:

With warm thanks junnuh:KS

Kilz
March 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hello again Kilz!

Because I'm not an expert:) can you tell me te commands in terminal wich I need to remove Adobe. I really don't need it , thanks to Ubuntu:guitar:

With warm thanks junnuh:KS

sudo rm -dr /usr/local/Adobe

should do it.

russell.h
March 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Have you used mplayer as it is installed by your script? I got the ipv6 thing taken care of, and everything else seems to be working great, its just the mplayer plugin. The plugin is there, it just won't play the videos. :confused:

dhruv_1884
March 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
hi kliz,
i just used ur script to install the plugins and the plugins and the browser
i must congratulate u on u super effort

firefox32 works, flash works, but java has a problem. whenevr i try to play pool at yahoo games, the brower crashes

any tips?

keep up the great work

dhruv

Kilz
March 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Have you used mplayer as it is installed by your script? I got the ipv6 thing taken care of, and everything else seems to be working great, its just the mplayer plugin. The plugin is there, it just won't play the videos. :confused:

That may be something that needs to be worked on for Feisty.

Kilz
March 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
hi kliz,
i just used ur script to install the plugins and the plugins and the browser
i must congratulate u on u super effort

firefox32 works, flash works, but java has a problem. whenevr i try to play pool at yahoo games, the brower crashes

any tips?

keep up the great work

dhruv

What version of Ubuntu are you using? What browser did you install? What version of the script did you install?

dhruv_1884
March 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
hi kliz i'm using edgy64
got java and flash to work, i had to it the manual way
i think it was the permissions whic didnt make java work the first time
i havent tried the mplayer plugin yet
u have done a great job thanks a lot
dhruv

russell.h
March 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
That may be something that needs to be worked on for Feisty.

I got it to work by reinstalling all of the mplayer related packages (probably only one was necessary). I think your script broke a link somewhere or something, whatever it was it was fairly trivial to fix.

Thene
March 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Hi,

I'm running Edgy (previously used this same method to run Firefox on Dapper and it worked beautifully).

However now, when I encounter certain sites (running Java I believe) Firefox simply closes.

I've tried reinstalling Java and using a previous release but to no avail. I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on fixing this error.

I get this error:

(firefox-bin:6998): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
(QFA)Talkback error: Can't initialize.
PLUGIN ERROR
Java process caught exception: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at sun.plugin.JavaRunTime.initEnvironment(JavaRunTime .java:60)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.doit(Plugin.java:130 )
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Plugin.java:10 3)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.registerFontPropert iesFonts(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:627)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initTerminalName s(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:1127)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initCompositeFon ts(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:859)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.access$300(SunGr aphicsEnvironment.java:53)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment$1.run(SunGraphic sEnvironment.java:201)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.<init>(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:85)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<init>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:163)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvir onment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:366)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.<clinit>(AppletViewer.java:105)
... 3 more
Java process: caught exception from sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.registerFontPropert iesFonts(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:627)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initTerminalName s(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:1127)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.initCompositeFon ts(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:859)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.access$300(SunGr aphicsEnvironment.java:53)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment$1.run(SunGraphic sEnvironment.java:201)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.<init>(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:85)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<init>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:163)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvir onment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:275)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:401)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:366)
at sun.plugin.viewer.LifeCycleManager.destroyCachedAp pletPanels(LifeCycleManager.java:229)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.onExit(Plugin.java:4 09)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.doit(Plugin.java:399 )
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Plugin.java:10 3)
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable

crhylove
March 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Seriously, Ubuntu devs. What is up with Flash? Can I or can I not use YouTube out of the box, and where is the (Just Work) button? Thanks in advance.

I'm on Feisty Fawn Hurd 5 by the way. It IS fast. GG there.

rhY

PS I'd rather not surf back here, so an email to here would be nice, since no previous button existed: rhy@leperkhanz.com

russell.h
March 9th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Has nothing to do with the Ubuntu devs, Adobe/Macromedia/Whoever has thus far declined to release a 64 bit linux version of Flash player. I wouldn't be opposed to integration of a script like this into Ubuntu though, or better yet coming with this stuff installed by default.

Kilz
March 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Seriously, Ubuntu devs. What is up with Flash? Can I or can I not use YouTube out of the box, and where is the (Just Work) button? Thanks in advance.

I'm on Feisty Fawn Hurd 5 by the way. It IS fast. GG there.

rhY

PS I'd rather not surf back here, so an email to here would be nice, since no previous button existed: rhy@leperkhanz.com

Until Feisty is a release I will not be working on making the script 100% compatible. I am not a Ubuntu developer, just a user. At this point Feisty is still in development and a lot of bugs need to be fixed.
I also tend not to email anyone. That is unless you dont mind an email from my spam trap address, and dont count on an answer to any replies.

Kilz
March 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Has nothing to do with the Ubuntu devs, Adobe/Macromedia/Whoever has thus far declined to release a 64 bit linux version of Flash player. I wouldn't be opposed to integration of a script like this into Ubuntu though, or better yet coming with this stuff installed by default.

Dont hold your breath waiting for the Ubuntu developers to make a 32bit Firefox and plugins avilable, or default (like SuSE). Even after showing it can be done and wasting about a week on the mailing list trying to convince them to do it (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-September/020552.html) last September for Edgy, we still have a 64bit browser. They are more concerned that Flash is proprietary, and that you may run proprietary plugins. Same thing with Wine, they write off giving you an open source application because you might want to run something propretary with it.

DraxNS
March 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Automated Install
This page will be making more than just Firefox avilable. To do that some changes were nessasary.
First you need to make sure the repositories are enabled.
Second, install the Base-plugin script
The browser install files below can install other Firefox varients and are also used to upgrade to new versions.

Browser Install Script
This script allows you to choose the browser you want to install from the ones on this page. It also lets you choose if you want to install the plugins by asking before the plugin is installed. You only have to run this script once. The script needs to be ran from the folder that extracts. That folder should also be on your Desktop. After running this script once you can install any of the other browsers below by double clicking on its deb file. :D
Browser + Base Script Download = base-plugins-browsers-0-5.tar.gz (http://home.comcast.net/~next/base-plugins-browsers-0-7.tar.gz)
Edgy users try this new script (http://home.comcast.net/~next/base-plugins-browsers-0-8.tar.gz)with an Mplayer plugin option for Edgy. Please leave a post to tell me if everything went ok if you use the Edgy script.

I have used this script for Edgy, but it failed when browser installation started with code
Setting up ia32-lib-firefox (0.1) ...
base-plugins: 13: function: not found.

I have completed install by reading through the script and copy&paste lines. As you know line 13 introduces new variable to the script and it is not done correctly:

function strinput {
unset refstr
echo -n "$1"
read refstr
}

I am not programmer, but I can understand code... so you will have to figure it out :)

Also, add path to the SUN Java plugin 1.5.0 since it works, and remove that 1.4.2 repo package.

That is all from me, I got it running (FF/Flash/Java) but with Java from SUN.

Kilz
March 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I have used this script for Edgy, but it failed when browser installation started with code
base-plugins: 13: function: not found.

What version did you run, the old or new one for Edgy? By any chance did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in before you ran it?

novavon
March 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
After following your technique, I ran firefox with command line to see what happens in the background. I went to a website that requires jre and I received the following.

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

Kilz
March 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
After following your technique, I ran firefox with command line to see what happens in the background. I went to a website that requires jre and I received the following.

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

Ummmm What version of the script did you install, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

gianp
March 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
To get around IPv6 issues in Feisty, rather than disabling IPv6 by blacklisting the module, you can actually use the firefox "network.dns.disableIPv6" option (accessible through about:config). It is set to false by default. Set it to true and everything starts working.

Ares2
March 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I need to get some help with the whole. First of all, the problem is with the flash plugin, at first it was working but then it stopped for no apparent reasons, or maybe it was after i installed java.

Anyway, i got my firefox32 bits working, also got java working but i cant seem to get flash working running the script and doing the manual how to.

I'd like to know if there's a way for me to see what is actually the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Kilz
March 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM
To get around IPv6 issues in Feisty, rather than disabling IPv6 by blacklisting the module, you can actually use the firefox "network.dns.disableIPv6" option (accessible through about:config). It is set to false by default. Set it to true and everything starts working.

Yes you could, but if you want to run other 32bit applications like maybe Frostwire its better to just disable it altogether.

Kilz
March 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I need to get some help with the whole. First of all, the problem is with the flash plugin, at first it was working but then it stopped for no apparent reasons, or maybe it was after i installed java.

Anyway, i got my firefox32 bits working, also got java working but i cant seem to get flash working running the script and doing the manual how to.

I'd like to know if there's a way for me to see what is actually the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

What version of Ubuntu are you running? What version number of the script did you install? Second, are you trying to do the manual howto after running the script? Third, do you have the 64bit browser open at the same time?

Ares2
March 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
What version of Ubuntu are you running? What version number of the script did you install? Second, are you trying to do the manual howto after running the script? Third, do you have the 64bit browser open at the same time?

Im running ubuntu edgy eft, second, I ran the script that was posted on the second page, i think, the script that was for edgy eft users, the one that asked if you wanted to install the plugin for edgy eft or for another ubuntu relase.

Third, i did try to do the howto after running the script, I tried the last two things that you said to try if it wasnt working.

Finally, I dont think im running firefox 64 at the same time, neither during the script run or while im browsing with the 32 bits.

Kilz
March 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Im running ubuntu edgy eft, second, I ran the script that was posted on the second page, i think, the script that was for edgy eft users, the one that asked if you wanted to install the plugin for edgy eft or for another ubuntu relase.

Third, i did try to do the howto after running the script, I tried the last two things that you said to try if it wasnt working.

Finally, I dont think im running firefox 64 at the same time, neither during the script run or while im browsing with the 32 bits.

Please open a terminal and type or copy/paste in

ls -l /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
and this one

ls -l /usr/local/firefox32/

then copy/paste the results to a post here.

Ares2
March 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
ls -l /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

total 8252
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-03-09 13:19 flash7
-r--r--r-- 1 500 users 856 2006-12-15 16:51 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 500 users 7040080 2006-12-15 16:51 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 2007-03-09 01:43 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 92448 2006-09-19 09:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 19160 2007-03-15 15:17 libnullplugin.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 244412 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-gmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 244540 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 244572 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 245660 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 244860 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-03-09 03:13 mplayerplug-in.xpt

ls -l /usr/local/firefox32/

total 13676
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 57 2007-03-15 15:17 active-update.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 232 2007-03-15 15:16 browserconfig.properties
drwxr-xr-x 3 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 chrome
drwxr-xr-x 2 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 components
drwxr-xr-x 5 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-09 01:30 defaults
drwxr-xr-x 2 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 dictionaries
drwxr-xr-x 5 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-09 13:21 extensions
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 5247 2007-03-15 15:17 firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 10534708 2007-03-15 15:17 firefox-bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 greprefs
drwxr-xr-x 2 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 icons
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 378 2007-03-09 15:21 install.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 476 2007-03-15 15:17 libfreebl3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 231468 2007-03-15 15:17 libfreebl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 627004 2007-03-15 15:16 libmozjs.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 176716 2007-03-15 15:16 libnspr4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 430608 2007-03-15 15:17 libnss3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 260832 2007-03-15 15:17 libnssckbi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 15304 2007-03-15 15:16 libplc4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 8240 2007-03-15 15:16 libplds4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 138316 2007-03-15 15:17 libsmime3.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 476 2007-03-15 15:17 libsoftokn3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 309624 2007-03-15 15:17 libsoftokn3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 155560 2007-03-15 15:17 libssl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 94924 2007-03-15 15:16 libxpcom_compat.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 698672 2007-03-15 15:16 libxpcom_core.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 9240 2007-03-15 15:16 libxpcom.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 8284 2007-03-15 15:16 libxpistub.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 10336 2007-03-15 15:17 mozilla-xremote-client
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 112 2007-03-15 15:16 old-homepage-default.properties
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gacara gacara 28 2007-03-09 01:30 plugins -> /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 177 2007-03-15 15:17 readme.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 2257 2007-03-15 15:17 removed-files
drwxr-xr-x 6 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 res
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 10492 2007-03-15 15:17 run-mozilla.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 searchplugins
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 67496 2007-03-15 15:17 updater
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 145 2007-03-15 15:16 updater.ini
drwxr-xr-x 3 gacara gacara 4096 2007-03-15 15:17 updates
-rw-r--r-- 1 gacara gacara 1028 2007-03-15 15:17 updates.xml
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gacara gacara 21368 2007-03-15 15:17 xpicleanup

Kilz
March 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Try this

sudo chown -R gacara:gacara /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

i0n
March 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
First off, thanks for the great howto! Most every thing is working I just need to figure out how to get around the following:

Please be aware there is a bug with using flash and youtube, if you adjust the sound there it can go out. Go to another site and adjust it up to fix it.

This bug is biting me in conjunction with another problem I'm having with the flash plugin...

I can't seem to save settings like flash local storage (I can't use http://www.pandora.com NOOO!)

When I go to YouTube the player is set to 0 volume... So, if I attempt to change the volume on a YouTube video, the sound goes out but when I go to another site reset the sound and return the voulme settings don't stick.

So if I could save flash settings I could use the YouTube work around.

It seems like a perms problem but I'm not sure what to set. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Ares2
March 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I still do not have the flash plugin, what can I try now?

Kilz
March 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM
When you type
about:plugins into the firefox adress bar and hit enter , is there a Shockwave Flash section in the config page?

Ares2
March 21st, 2007, 04:41 AM
Yup, here's what I'm getting

Shockwave Flash

File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

Kilz
March 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Yup, here's what I'm getting

Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

Please click on Help , then About Mozilla Firefox. In the box that will pop up is a section near the bottom starting with Mozilla/5.0. Please copy that section and paste it into a post here.

Ares2
March 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Please click on Help , then About Mozilla Firefox. In the box that will pop up is a section near the bottom starting with Mozilla/5.0. Please copy that section and paste it into a post here.

Here's what I'm getting :

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070220 Firefox/2.0.0.2

That looks alright too, this thing is getting really weird is it?

Kilz
March 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Here's what I'm getting :

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070220 Firefox/2.0.0.2

That looks alright too, this thing is getting really weird is it?

Here is whats weird. You are running the 32bit Firefox but in the about: plugins we find this.

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

What is interesting is that npwrapper is telling us that you have the nspluginwrapper installed for this plugin. That will not work running the 32bit version. You may want to delete the flash plugins and replace them.
If this doesnt work, you may have to hunt down the place where you installed the version of the plugin with the wrapper and delete it.

fatsheep
March 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Using the edgy auto install script on a fresh install of Edgy resulted in a timeout and a broken firefox32. I've tried installing with the script twice, results were identical. Here's the log:

fatsheep@fatsheep-desktop:~$ cd Desktop/base-plugins/
fatsheep@fatsheep-desktop:~/Desktop/base-plugins$ ./base-plugins
Building dependency tree
gsfonts is already the newest version.
lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386 libdvdread3 libfaac0 libggi2
libgii1 libgii1-target-x liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libmpcdec3 libungif4g
libxvidcore4 libxvmc1 mplayer-skins
Suggested packages:
libdvdcss2 libggi-target-emu libggi-target-monotext libggimisc2 w32codecs
libdvdcss mplayer-doc
Recommended packages:
libggi-target-x libggi-target
alsa-oss ia32-libs lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 libc6-i386 libdvdread3
libfaac0 libggi2 libgii1 libgii1-target-x liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libmpcdec3
libungif4g libxvidcore4 libxvmc1 mplayer mplayer-skins
0 upgraded, 19 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 25.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 68.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe alsa-oss 1.0.11-1 [53.0kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates/main libc6-i386 2.4-1ubuntu12.3 [3563kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main lib32gcc1 1:4.1.1-13ubuntu5 [21.3kB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main lib32stdc++6 4.1.1-13ubuntu5 [289kB]
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main lib32z1 1:1.2.3-13ubuntu2 [52.1kB]
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main ia32-libs 1.5ubuntu5 [16.4MB]
Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libdvdread3 0.9.6-3ubuntu1 [60.2kB]
Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libmp4v2-0 2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3 [222kB]
Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libfaac0 1.24clean-0ubuntu4 [56.5kB]
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libgii1-target-x 1:1.0.1-2 [17.1kB]
Get:11 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libgii1 1:1.0.1-2 [253kB]
Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libggi2 1:2.2.1-4ubuntu1 [524kB]
Get:13 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse liblame0 3.96.1-2 [207kB]
Get:14 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main libmpcdec3 1.2.2-1 [24.6kB]
Get:15 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main libungif4g 4.1.4-2 [59.1kB]
Get:16 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libxvidcore4 2:1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1 [191kB]
Get:17 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main libxvmc1 2:1.0.2-0ubuntu2 [13.7kB]
Get:18 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse mplayer-skins 2-6 [70.2kB]
Get:19 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse mplayer 2:0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8 [3518kB]
Fetched 25.6MB in 42s (609kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package alsa-oss.
(Reading database ... 112529 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking alsa-oss (from .../alsa-oss_1.0.11-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libc6-i386.
Unpacking libc6-i386 (from .../libc6-i386_2.4-1ubuntu12.3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package lib32gcc1.
Unpacking lib32gcc1 (from .../lib32gcc1_1%3a4.1.1-13ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package lib32stdc++6.
Unpacking lib32stdc++6 (from .../lib32stdc++6_4.1.1-13ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package lib32z1.
Unpacking lib32z1 (from .../lib32z1_1%3a1.2.3-13ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ia32-libs.
Unpacking ia32-libs (from .../ia32-libs_1.5ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdvdread3.
Unpacking libdvdread3 (from .../libdvdread3_0.9.6-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmp4v2-0.
Unpacking libmp4v2-0 (from .../libmp4v2-0_2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libfaac0.
Unpacking libfaac0 (from .../libfaac0_1.24clean-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgii1-target-x.
Unpacking libgii1-target-x (from .../libgii1-target-x_1%3a1.0.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgii1.
Unpacking libgii1 (from .../libgii1_1%3a1.0.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libggi2.
Unpacking libggi2 (from .../libggi2_1%3a2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblame0.
Unpacking liblame0 (from .../liblame0_3.96.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmpcdec3.
Unpacking libmpcdec3 (from .../libmpcdec3_1.2.2-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libungif4g.
Unpacking libungif4g (from .../libungif4g_4.1.4-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxvidcore4.
Unpacking libxvidcore4 (from .../libxvidcore4_2%3a1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxvmc1.
Unpacking libxvmc1 (from .../libxvmc1_2%3a1.0.2-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer-skins.
Unpacking mplayer-skins (from .../mplayer-skins_2-6_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer.
Unpacking mplayer (from .../mplayer_2%3a0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up alsa-oss (1.0.11-1) ...

Setting up libc6-i386 (2.4-1ubuntu12.3) ...

Setting up lib32gcc1 (4.1.1-13ubuntu5) ...

Setting up lib32stdc++6 (4.1.1-13ubuntu5) ...

Setting up lib32z1 (1.2.3-13ubuntu2) ...
Setting up ia32-libs (1.5ubuntu5) ...

Setting up libdvdread3 (0.9.6-3ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libmp4v2-0 (2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3) ...

Setting up libfaac0 (1.24clean-0ubuntu4) ...

Setting up libgii1-target-x (1.0.1-2) ...
Setting up libgii1 (1.0.1-2) ...

Setting up libggi2 (2.2.1-4ubuntu1) ...

Setting up liblame0 (3.96.1-2) ...

Setting up libmpcdec3 (1.2.2-1) ...

Setting up libungif4g (4.1.4-2) ...

Setting up libxvidcore4 (1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libxvmc1 (1.0.2-0ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mplayer-skins (2-6) ...
Setting up mplayer (0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8) ...

Building dependency tree
Suggested packages:
ia32-libs-kde libasound2-plugins
ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-sdl lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4566kB of archives.
After unpacking 12.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe ia32-libs-gtk 22 [3463kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main lib32asound2 1.0.11-7ubuntu3 [300kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe ia32-libs-sdl 1.0ubuntu1 [504kB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main lib32ncurses5 5.5-2ubuntu1 [299kB]
Fetched 4566kB in 26s (174kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package ia32-libs-gtk.
(Reading database ... 113254 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ia32-libs-gtk (from .../ia32-libs-gtk_22_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package lib32asound2.
Unpacking lib32asound2 (from .../lib32asound2_1.0.11-7ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ia32-libs-sdl.
Unpacking ia32-libs-sdl (from .../ia32-libs-sdl_1.0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package lib32ncurses5.
Unpacking lib32ncurses5 (from .../lib32ncurses5_5.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up ia32-libs-gtk (22) ...

Setting up lib32asound2 (1.0.11-7ubuntu3) ...

Setting up ia32-libs-sdl (1.0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up lib32ncurses5 (5.5-2ubuntu1) ...

--17:39:04-- http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb
=> `ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb'
Resolving home.comcast.net... 204.127.198.24
Connecting to home.comcast.net|204.127.198.24|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 51,480 (50K) [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 51,480 152.21K/s

17:39:05 (151.52 KB/s) - `ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb' saved [51480/51480]

Selecting previously deselected package ia32-lib-firefox.
(Reading database ... 113437 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ia32-lib-firefox (from ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb) ...

This script is used to setup your system for a 32bit browser.
You can choose to install a browser now from the list.
You can also just install the base files and select
a browser later. This script only needs to be run once.
Afterward you may install as many browsers from the
howto page as you wish.

Please select the browser you would like to install.
Install options are :

1 : 32bit Iceweasel web browser
2 : 32bit Firefox 2.0 web browser
3 : 32bit Flock web browser
4 : Base install, you will install another browser at a later time

If unsure,just hit enter.
Install option (1-5)? : 2
32bit Firefox 2.0.
--17:40:21-- http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
=> `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb'
Length: 9,678,044 (9.2M) [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 9,678,044 370.35K/s ETA 00:00

17:40:49 (339.42 KB/s) - `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb' saved [9678044/9678044]

Selecting previously deselected package firefox32.
(Reading database ... 113462 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking firefox32 (from .../firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of firefox32:
firefox32 depends on linux32; however:
Package linux32 is not installed.
firefox32 depends on gsfonts-x11; however:
Package gsfonts-x11 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing firefox32 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
firefox32
--17:40:51-- http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/pool/main/l/linux32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb
=> `linux32_1-3_amd64.deb'
Resolving ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu... 141.210.26.106
Connecting to ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu|141.210.26.106|:80...

After I installed gsfonts-x11 and linux32 via synaptic, it no longer complains about those dependencies but it still gets hung up when it tries to connect to ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu:

Password:
Building dependency tree
ia32-libs is already the newest version.
alsa-oss is already the newest version.
mplayer is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Building dependency tree
ia32-libs-gtk is already the newest version.
lib32asound2 is already the newest version.
lib32ncurses5 is already the newest version.
ia32-libs-sdl is already the newest version.
--20:27:23-- http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb

50% [=================> ] 51,480 156.84K/s

20:27:25 (156.50 KB/s) - `ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb' saved [51480/51480]

(Reading database ... 113567 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-lib-firefox 0.1 (using ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-lib-firefox ...

howto page as you wish.

Install options are :

32bit Firefox 2.0.
--20:27:27-- http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb

100%[====================================>] 9,678,044 395.89K/s ETA 00:00

20:28:10 (343.92 KB/s) - `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb' saved [9678044/9678044]

(Reading database ... 113567 files and directories currently installed.)
Setting up firefox32 (2.0) ...
--20:28:13-- http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/pool/main/l/linux32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb

I then tried the other script (0-7) and got the same results as well:

Password:
Building dependency tree
mplayer is already the newest version.
Building dependency tree
--20:35:59-- http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb

100%[====================================>] 51,480 184.17K/s

20:36:00 (184.13 KB/s) - `ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb' saved [51480/51480]

(Reading database ... 113819 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ia32-lib-firefox 0.1 (using ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ia32-lib-firefox ...

howto page as you wish.

Install options are :

32bit Firefox 2.0.
--20:36:02-- http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb

100%[====================================>] 9,678,044 410.50K/s ETA 00:00

20:37:01 (412.25 KB/s) - `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb' saved [9678044/9678044]

(Reading database ... 113819 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace firefox32 2.0 (using .../firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement firefox32 ...
Setting up firefox32 (2.0) ...
--20:37:03-- http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/pool/main/l/linux32/linux32_1-3_amd64.deb

xboxSlayer
March 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Same problem as the guy above me.

xboxSlayer
March 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Actually, went through the manual process and firefox works like a charm. Thanks. Only thing is now I have a jre1.5.0_11 folder with a lock on it on my desktop that I can't get rid of? Can I move this thing somewhere else?

Kilz
March 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, went through the manual process and firefox works like a charm. Thanks. Only thing is now I have a jre1.5.0_11 folder with a lock on it on my desktop that I can't get rid of? Can I move this thing somewhere else?

That may be hard, you could use the
gksudo nautilus command. This will open up nautilus as a admin. You can then navigate to your desktop folder and delete the folder.

Kilz
March 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Using the edgy auto install script on a fresh install of Edgy resulted in a timeout and a broken firefox32. I've tried installing with the script twice, results were identical. Here's the log:

The mirror probably went down. I have changed the scripts to use the main mirror , mirrors.kernel.org

xboxSlayer
March 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
That may be hard, you could use the
gksudo nautilus command. This will open up nautilus as a admin. You can then navigate to your desktop folder and delete the folder.

Yup, that worked. Actually I used that move the folder to my home directory in case I needed it but it's off the desktop and java still works. Thanks.

BTW, I also used you guide to install wine and that works great also. Thanks again.

Kilz
March 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Yup, that worked. Actually I used that move the folder to my home directory in case I needed it but it's off the desktop and java still works. Thanks.

BTW, I also used you guide to install wine and that works great also. Thanks again.

That folder is not the place where java is stored. Its a folder left over from the install process you should be able to safely delete it. That you were able to move it and java still worked makes me positive of this.

fatsheep
March 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
The mirror probably went down. I have changed the scripts to use the main mirror , mirrors.kernel.org

Ok it works now. However, I noticed one thing: spellcheck does not work on firefox32. Do you have the same problem?

Kilz
March 25th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Ok it works now. However, I noticed one thing: spellcheck does not work on firefox32. Do you have the same problem?

Mine works, at least the spell check thats part of firefox2.0.

fatsheep
March 25th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Mine works, at least the spell check thats part of firefox2.0.

That's interesting. When I use 64-bit firefox, spellcheck works as it should. On 32-bit firefox mispelled words do not get underlined like they should in text fields such as the one I'm typing in right now to post.

lame_dude
March 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for hints but I'm preferring to have 64-bit Firefox on my system.Except it is native for x64, it also should be less hackable by script kiddies since there is very few exploits for x64 systems and it's harder to hack browser due to this fact (as well as there is very few peoples who is able to write x64 exploits).

So, I'm preferring solution with nspluginwrapper. I hope someone of universe masters will be kind enough to put this package to repository so users can get it without being IT pro's.Of course 32-bit flash is sort of security hole :) but attack surface is still smaller than with 32bit Firefox+32bit flash.

P.S. Special fu^H^H thanks to Adobe who claimed MULTIPLE platforms support but still fails to prove their words as usually.

fatsheep
March 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for hints but I'm preferring to have 64-bit Firefox on my system.Except it is native for x64, it also should be less hackable by script kiddies since there is very few exploits for x64 systems and it's harder to hack browser due to this fact (as well as there is very few peoples who is able to write x64 exploits).

So, I'm preferring solution with nspluginwrapper. I hope someone of universe masters will be kind enough to put this package to repository so users can get it without being IT pro's.Of course 32-bit flash is sort of security hole :) but attack surface is still smaller than with 32bit Firefox+32bit flash.

P.S. Special fu^H^H thanks to Adobe who claimed MULTIPLE platforms support but still fails to prove their words as usually.

I would use ndispluginwrapper but the last tutorial on it didn't work for me. Could you give me a link to the tutorial you followed?

Kilz
March 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM

The 64bit browser is built off the same code as the 32bit browser. So security should be the same. If we use your logic, the 64bit version will be less secure because fewer people are looking at it.
There is one problem with nspluginwrapper (other than its hard to install, hard to get it to work, and can crash the browser on some sites) The lack of java plugin support.

clownius
March 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ok i just tried the automated script on Kubuntu Edgy. This is what it does.

clownius@rawpower64:~/Desktop/base-plugins-browsers-0-8-1/base-plugins$ sh base-
plugins
Password:
Building dependency tree
libdv4 libdvdread3 libfaac0 libggi2 libgii1 libgii1-target-x liblame0
liblircclient0 libmp4v2-0 libxvidcore4 mplayer-skins
Suggested packages:
libdvdcss2 libggi-target-emu libggi-target-monotext libggimisc2 lirc
w32codecs libdvdcss mplayer-doc
Recommended packages:
libdv-bin libggi-target-x libggi-target
alsa-oss libdv4 libdvdread3 libfaac0 libggi2 libgii1 libgii1-target-x
liblame0 liblircclient0 libmp4v2-0 libxvidcore4 mplayer mplayer-skins
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 5306kB of archives.
After unpacking 14.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe alsa-oss 1.0.11-1 [53.0kB]
Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main libdv4 0.104-2 [76.8kB]
Get:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libdvdread3 0.9.6-3ubuntu1 [60. 2kB]
Get:4 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libmp4v2-0 2.0.0+cvs20040908+ mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3 [222kB]
Get:5 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libfaac0 1.24clean-0ubuntu4 [56.5kB]
Get:6 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libgii1-target-x 1:1.0.1-2 [17.1kB]
Get:7 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libgii1 1:1.0.1-2 [253kB]
Get:8 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe libggi2 1:2.2.1-4ubuntu1 [524kB]
Get:9 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse liblame0 3.96.1-2 [207kB]
Get:10 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse libxvidcore4 2:1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1 [191kB]
Get:11 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse mplayer-skins 2-6 [70.2kB]
Get:12 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main liblircclient0 0.8.0-5ubuntu1 [57.2kB]
Get:13 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/multiverse mplayer 2:0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8 [3518kB]
Fetched 5306kB in 5m14s (16.9kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package alsa-oss.
(Reading database ... 108104 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking alsa-oss (from .../alsa-oss_1.0.11-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdv4.
Unpacking libdv4 (from .../libdv4_0.104-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdvdread3.
Unpacking libdvdread3 (from .../libdvdread3_0.9.6-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmp4v2-0.
Unpacking libmp4v2-0 (from .../libmp4v2-0_2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libfaac0.
Unpacking libfaac0 (from .../libfaac0_1.24clean-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgii1-target-x.
Unpacking libgii1-target-x (from .../libgii1-target-x_1%3a1.0.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgii1.
Unpacking libgii1 (from .../libgii1_1%3a1.0.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libggi2.
Unpacking libggi2 (from .../libggi2_1%3a2.2.1-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblame0.
Unpacking liblame0 (from .../liblame0_3.96.1-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxvidcore4.
Unpacking libxvidcore4 (from .../libxvidcore4_2%3a1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer-skins.
Unpacking mplayer-skins (from .../mplayer-skins_2-6_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblircclient0.
Unpacking liblircclient0 (from .../liblircclient0_0.8.0-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer.
Unpacking mplayer (from .../mplayer_2%3a0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up alsa-oss (1.0.11-1) ...

Setting up libdv4 (0.104-2) ...

Setting up libdvdread3 (0.9.6-3ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libmp4v2-0 (2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu3) ...

Setting up libfaac0 (1.24clean-0ubuntu4) ...

Setting up libgii1-target-x (1.0.1-2) ...
Setting up libgii1 (1.0.1-2) ...

Setting up libggi2 (2.2.1-4ubuntu1) ...

Setting up liblame0 (3.96.1-2) ...

Setting up libxvidcore4 (1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1) ...

Setting up mplayer-skins (2-6) ...
Setting up liblircclient0 (0.8.0-5ubuntu1) ...

Setting up mplayer (0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8) ...

Building dependency tree
cd: 8: can't cd to /home/clownius/Desktop/base-plugins
--18:42:00-- http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu64user/ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb

100%[================================================== ================================================>] 51,480 44.27K/s

18:42:02 (44.14 KB/s) - `ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb' saved [51480/51480]

Selecting previously deselected package ia32-lib-firefox.
(Reading database ... 108379 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ia32-lib-firefox (from ia32-lib-firefox-amd64.deb) ...
base-plugins: 13: function: not found

base-plugins: 17: Syntax error: "}" unexpected

Between error 13 and 17 i pressed enter as nothing happened for over an hour. im not a coder so i cant help track this one down sorry. Im about to try the manual install but i hope this helps track down the bug anyway. ill report back on any manual install problems.
Actually its tempting to not use Java on my C2D 64 bit machine and just use my old 2.4Ghz P4 for it lol. This has been painful.

Edit Ok a manual install worked but it looks like......... Anyone know how i can make it look the same as my 64 bit Firefox? Im guessing its a theme but which one? For now it looks poor so ill only use it to play java games. Im now trying to find where to whing to sun that they dont have a 64 bit Linux Java plugin or .debs and should have. I think we should all complain its not like Ubuntu is that rare a distro and 64bit is starting to come into use more widely and much faster than 64 bit 'doze which im certain they support

lame_dude
March 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I would use ndispluginwrapper but the last tutorial on it didn't work for me. Could you give me a link to the tutorial you followed?

1) Installed 32-bit libs:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk gsfonts gsfonts-x11 linux32

2) Added repository - see http://www.janvitus.netsons.org/repository/

3) Installed nspluginwrapper and flash as described on http://www.janvitus.netsons.org/2007/01/15/nspluginwrapper-adobe-flash-player/

Now flash seems to work...

Caveats: repository has other software as well, some versions are newer than current un Ubuntu but some are beta.You may want to remove this repository from sources later(when nspluginwrapper installed).

Note: install command to nspluginwrapper must be given from user who is willing to use browser.I.e. you should issue it as normal user, not as root (unless you want to run as root with flash)

Kilz
March 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
1) Installed 32-bit libs:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk gsfonts gsfonts-x11 linux32

2) Added repository - see http://www.janvitus.netsons.org/repository/

3) Installed nspluginwrapper and flash as described on http://www.janvitus.netsons.org/2007/01/15/nspluginwrapper-adobe-flash-player/

Now flash seems to work...

Caveats: repository has other software as well, some versions are newer than current un Ubuntu but some are beta.You may want to remove this repository from sources later(when nspluginwrapper installed).

Note: install command to nspluginwrapper must be given from user who is willing to use browser.I.e. you should issue it as normal user, not as root (unless you want to run as root with flash)

As a warning to 32bit firefox users. Installing the nspluginwrapper to the .mozilla directory in your home folder will make flash stop working on 32bit Firefox. Also if you need java support, nspluginwrapper doesn't have it.

Kilz
March 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Ok i just tried the automated script on Kubuntu Edgy. This is what it does.

Edit Ok a manual install worked but it looks like......... Anyone know how i can make it look the same as my 64 bit Firefox? Im guessing its a theme but which one? For now it looks poor so ill only use it to play java games. Im now trying to find where to whing to sun that they dont have a 64 bit Linux Java plugin or .debs and should have. I think we should all complain its not like Ubuntu is that rare a distro and 64bit is starting to come into use more widely and much faster than 64 bit 'doze which im certain they support

You are correct, its the theme you are using. Try changing it.

Thene
March 27th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Hi Kilz,

Was just wondering - do you have 32bit Firefox working with Feisty?

I am using Feisty but Firefox does not connect; however my 64bit Firefox is fine.

Thanks Kindly.

lame_dude
March 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
The 64bit browser is built off the same code as the 32bit browser. So security should be the same. If we use your logic, the 64bit version will be less secure because fewer people are looking at it.
No, there is another story.There is very few hackers familiar with x64 asm and fewer users so it is not so interesting target as x86-32, so there is very little chance someone will craft exploit for x64 even if bug known.Not a case for x86-32 though.

Once problem is discovered, in theory, any (?) architecture is hackable of course (but some architectures like "classic" x86 lacks "No Execute" setting are more hackable though).The practice however differs.Dozen of hackers familiar with x86-32 code (there is looooooooots of them) will craft exploit for x86-32 quite quickly, often in few days.Also because majority users running x86-32 so it is interesting target.x64 is another story: there is slightly fewer users up to date so hacker's "reward" is small.As well as there is very few people capable writing on x64 asm and even fewer can craft exploits.Of course this not makes things more secure in theory but gives much more time to apply updates in practice before bug is really getting exploited so YOU can be hacked.

Funny example: compare how many bugs were found in Mac OS when it existed on PowerPC only. Now, compare with x86 Mac OS.Do you really thinking Apple code quality dropped so low?I'm thinking that it remained exactly same but x86 is just more familiar to bunch of hackers so it has been much more carefully "tested" :)

There is one problem with nspluginwrapper (other than its hard to install, hard to get it to work,
Hmm, I seen things harder than that.But not very user-friendly solution, yes.I wonder why Masters of Universe will not put this into repository.If someone wanna to give a try, it is up to him, right?Maybe display warning it is beta quality solution.

and can crash the browser on some sites)
Did not noticed so far. Now I have opened 250+ tabs and there is some sites using flash.Well, let's see what happens.

The lack of java plugin support.
I'm personally do not need this right now.Under Windows or 32-bit Linux I'm always switched it off in browser.It is quite hard to keep up to date, and there is regular security issues (like sandbox bypassing) - this makes it a poor choise for web.Additionally it can be abused to track your real IP even if you using proxy, etc.And there is really very few sites where it really needed.Flash is another story due to video for example.

Kilz
March 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
No, there is another story.There is very few hackers familiar with x64 asm and fewer users so it is not so interesting target as x86-32, so there is very little chance someone will craft exploit for x64 even if bug known.Not a case for x86-32 though.

Once problem is discovered, in theory, any (?) architecture is hackable of course (but some architectures like "classic" x86 lacks "No Execute" setting are more hackable though).The practice however differs.Dozen of hackers familiar with x86-32 code (there is looooooooots of them) will craft exploit for x86-32 quite quickly, often in few days.Also because majority users running x86-32 so it is interesting target.x64 is another story: there is slightly fewer users up to date so hacker's "reward" is small.As well as there is very few people capable writing on x64 asm and even fewer can craft exploits.Of course this not makes things more secure in theory but gives much more time to apply updates in practice before bug is really getting exploited so YOU can be hacked.

Funny example: compare how many bugs were found in Mac OS when it existed on PowerPC only. Now, compare with x86 Mac OS.Do you really thinking Apple code quality dropped so low?I'm thinking that it remained exactly same but x86 is just more familiar to bunch of hackers so it has been much more carefully "tested" :)

You are comparing 2 different code bases in the mac os for intel and ppc. There are actual differences in the code. Not so in firefox for 32 bit and 64bit. It is the exact same code with no changes. The only changes are the processor flags used when compiling.
Same code = same bugs = same flaws.

Kilz
March 27th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Kilz,

Was just wondering - do you have 32bit Firefox working with Feisty?

I am using Feisty but Firefox does not connect; however my 64bit Firefox is fine.

Thanks Kindly.

Take a look at the main page again, look for the Feisty section.

Thene
March 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
:oops: I must've missed that, thanks Kilz.

Incidentally I am still having java issues. When I vist some sites the browser just poof, disappears.

You wouldn't happen to have any ideas on what is causing this?

Kilz
March 27th, 2007, 05:01 PM
:oops: I must've missed that, thanks Kilz.

Incidentally I am still having java issues. When I vist some sites the browser just poof, disappears.

You wouldn't happen to have any ideas on what is causing this?

Im still working on a Feisty script, I will release one when Feisty is released. The reason Im holding off is things change so fast. But I have found that the Java that is installed (jre1.42 blackdown) has problems on Feisty. I went to the java site and was able to download the 1.5.0 or java5 software (http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=11020) version 11. This seems to work much better. The manual instructions on the front page should be all you need to install it to replace the existing install. But remove it first with

sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib32/java32

To be safe.

Thene
March 28th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Thank you for that, I actually got it working.

Funnily enough I was using 1.5.0 or java5 software version 11. The problem was that I had this all working with Dapper and when I installed Edgy that was when I first encountered the Java problem and I was never able to fix it.

Just going back over the installation, I think something went awry with the symbolic link. When I looked at the file in firefox32/plugins, it was locked. I simply removed it and reinstalled the Java and now it's all working again.

Thank you so much for your help. :-D

(The problem was so unbearably frustrating! Especially when a browser full of open tabs disappears. I am over the moon!)

wncben
March 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Kilz,

Thanks for all your hard work helping us relative noobs tackle the 64bit juggernaut ;) I got 32bit ff and flash up and running with no problems under edgy, but ran into the problem you mentioned trying to install it in feisty.
I saw your comment on the opening page, but was just wondering what ipv6 support is, and what the possible effects might be of blacklisting it, what other programs might depend on it? I ran into dependency hell under edgy, what with the kernel change I needed to do to get my 4318 wifi card working on my 64bit system etc etc... so I am trying to be a little careful to at least somewhat understand what I am doing ;)
another question, about the flash 9 installer... it looks like all the installer does is drop the plugin into your firefox plugins folder... so I tried dropping it into my 64bit firefox folder manually, no joy, so I went and looked at the installer script, which mentions that the .so file is just a symbolic link and that the data would be installed by the script, but could not find the data, which I assume is that other file that got installed... anyhow, is there any way to make 64 bit ff use the 32 bit plugin? you mentioned that the 32 and 64 bit ff code is the same... any insight would be much appreciated...
Cheers~ Ben

Kilz
March 29th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hey Kilz,

Thanks for all your hard work helping us relative noobs tackle the 64bit juggernaut ;) I got 32bit ff and flash up and running with no problems under edgy, but ran into the problem you mentioned trying to install it in feisty.
I saw your comment on the opening page, but was just wondering what ipv6 support is, and what the possible effects might be of blacklisting it, what other programs might depend on it? I ran into dependency hell under edgy, what with the kernel change I needed to do to get my 4318 wifi card working on my 64bit system etc etc... so I am trying to be a little careful to at least somewhat understand what I am doing ;)
another question, about the flash 9 installer... it looks like all the installer does is drop the plugin into your firefox plugins folder... so I tried dropping it into my 64bit firefox folder manually, no joy, so I went and looked at the installer script, which mentions that the .so file is just a symbolic link and that the data would be installed by the script, but could not find the data, which I assume is that other file that got installed... anyhow, is there any way to make 64 bit ff use the 32 bit plugin? you mentioned that the 32 and 64 bit ff code is the same... any insight would be much appreciated...
Cheers~ Ben

ipv6 is mostly a pain in the rear. It isnt used all over, and ipv4 is still in use if you disable ipv6. While I havent tried all 20k applications in Ubuntu, what I have tried worked. In any event if something you rely on stops accessing the internet, it is easy to just reverse the instructions since nothing is deleted.
There is one way of making 64bit firefox use 32bit plugins, or at least some of them. Its called nspluginwrapper. It is hard to install , hard to make work (read almost impossible), and doesnt offer any java support. Secondly if you try it, it will make 32bit firefox plugins stop working.
There is no way other of making 64bit firefox use 32bit plugins, because of the way they are compiled. If you are thinking you are missing out on performance, dont, since it is based on the 32bit code, any performance improvements will not be humanly noticeable. There will have to be a 64bit rewrite of the firefox code before 64bit users notice any difference.

wncben
March 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks, i had ff32 installed in edgy, (from your instructions here) and was pretty impressed, i actually think the 32bit was faster... I just want to make sure that I am not going to frack things up by blacklisting ipv6... but i'm gonna try it and see what happens.

It is funny that the 64 and 32 bit programs are basically the same but the plugins don't interchange. it seems like there should be a way to hack a fix script that would either make the plugins think it is a 32 bit system, or to make the program think the plugins are 64bit....

Well, I like everything else about feisty so far...

~Ben

wncben
March 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Hey Kilz, thanks again, I blacklisted ipv6 and now ff32 runs ok. Actually I would venture a guess it is about 50% faster than ff64 with ipv6 allowed... at least in terms of lag waitig for a site to begin to load.
Flash works great, no sound lag or any of the issues I had with edgy...
java... not so much... some sites that use java kill the ff session altogether...
wmp 9... Is there a way to get the codecs? mplayer doesn't seem to like it, and the plugin wizard doesn't seem to notice...

cheers ~Ben

Kilz
March 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Kilz, thanks again, I blacklisted ipv6 and now ff32 runs ok. Actually I would venture a guess it is about 50% faster than ff64 with ipv6 allowed... at least in terms of lag waitig for a site to begin to load.
Flash works great, no sound lag or any of the issues I had with edgy...
java... not so much... some sites that use java kill the ff session altogether...
wmp 9... Is there a way to get the codecs? mplayer doesn't seem to like it, and the plugin wizard doesn't seem to notice...

cheers ~Ben

the java problem is known. It was discussed a few posts before your first one. Its also mentioned in the feisty section on the first post. The older java in the Edgy script doesnt work well with feisty.

DraxNS
March 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM
What version did you run, the old or new one for Edgy? By any chance did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in before you ran it?

Sorry for late reply.... was busy :-)

I have used latest script that was in your initial post... and I have executed it from the directory it created on desktop, as per instructions.

wncben
March 31st, 2007, 01:14 AM
the java problem is known. It was discussed a few posts before your first one. Its also mentioned in the feisty section on the first post. The older java in the Edgy script doesnt work well with feisty.

Actually I installed java via the manual instructions from the first post, in the first place, and it seems to be working for some sites that require it, such as ebay, but other sites, like webchatrooms, kill the ff window... I use Xchat, so that is not a big deal... I think I need to uninstall all the java including the 1.4 that seems to be the default (blackdown? I haven't really dug into it yet) and try reinstalling it manually...

The bigger problem is Mplayer...
I am not able to get it to play anything online, I thought it was just windows media player but quicktime and realplayer movies all act the same: I thought that feisty was s'posed to automaticaly install all the restricted codecs etc, but it seems like there aren't any accessable to mplayer... I get the mplayer logo and sometimes a buffering status bar, but at 99% it just stops... I know that this is an older problem, but I am not familiar enough with linux to try to fix this in feisty on my own... Any ideas?

Thanks~Ben

Kilz
March 31st, 2007, 02:07 AM
Actually I installed java via the manual instructions from the first post, in the first place, and it seems to be working for some sites that require it, such as ebay, but other sites, like webchatrooms, kill the ff window... I use Xchat, so that is not a big deal... I think I need to uninstall all the java including the 1.4 that seems to be the default (blackdown? I haven't really dug into it yet) and try reinstalling it manually...
IRC applets have always crashed , not sure why, but its an old problem.

The bigger problem is Mplayer...
I am not able to get it to play anything online, I thought it was just windows media player but quicktime and realplayer movies all act the same: I thought that feisty was s'posed to automaticaly install all the restricted codecs etc, but it seems like there aren't any accessable to mplayer... I get the mplayer logo and sometimes a buffering status bar, but at 99% it just stops... I know that this is an older problem, but I am not familiar enough with linux to try to fix this in feisty on my own... Any ideas?

Thanks~Ben
I think it has to do with the fact that its using a mplayer compiled for Edgy, Edgy did the same thing when we used a Dapper mplayer. I will be working on a fix as soon as Feisty is released.

russell.h
March 31st, 2007, 05:48 AM
The latest set of updates broke ff32 on my system.

russell.h
March 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
And the next update fixed it. Now I can get my YouTube fix again.... :)

wncben
April 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM
... I will be working on a fix as soon as Feisty is released.

Any hints on how to get mplayer working in the meantime?

Also, some websites load kinda funny, the lucasarts site for example, for some reason part of the page either doesn't load, or at least doesn't display, it seems sort of like an easrlier post where for some reason menu items were displaying behind part of a website instead of on top, but in this case that part of the page is blank... Is it a problem with java? should I remove all the java on my system and try to reinstall it? if so, what do i need to remove? Do I need to keep the blackdown java for anything or are there some things dependent on it?

Thanks

~Ben

russell.h
April 1st, 2007, 06:09 AM
Any hints on how to get mplayer working in the meantime?

I made mplayer work in Feisty by reinstalling all the mplayer related packages (probably just mplayer-mozilla was really necessary, but I just checked them all) after installing firefox32. Has worked great ever since.

wncben
April 1st, 2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks russell, I just reinstalled the mplayer stuff, and installed the fonts and docs to be sure, and it works!

Yay! for the first time I have a fully functional ubuntu pc! (except for a couple minor java issues)

~Ben

finite9
April 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
been running these scripts for ages, but recently, I have a need to use 64bit Mplayer and mencoder for video editing, so cannot install the 32 bit version of mplayer anymore for browser use (realplayer/quicktime plugins in firefox).

I have flash9 and java1.6 working in 32bit firefox but want Mplayer plugins to work in 64bit browser. Is this possible??

skeezicks
April 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks the script worked great!

juanhunglow
April 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Feisty beta installed today. script plus manual java install. perfect.
Thanks.

Slimshady
April 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I ran the script for firefox32+flash on ubuntu edgy, and i got some errors during the running of the script, i couldnt really see them because it was fast. anyway its finished but i dont see any menu entry, only the regular 64 bit firefox.
and if it means something- i didnt get any flash and java license during the installation.... maybe something went wrong but how can i find out what it is?

saru411
April 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
hi killz,
i installed your howto with the script and it worked fine. i have since installed beryl and my nvidia graphics drivers and somehow my flash doesnt work any more on the 32 bit firefox. i havent tried fixing it yet since im not sure which direction to go. im still a n00b with linux but im learning quickly. can i install your script again or will that just corrupt my files? are there some reports i should include in my next post that will help you diagnose my problem? if so what are the commands?

thanks for taking time to help me out

TheTinman
April 6th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I have arrived at my first Ubuntu (6.10, 64 bit) problem that has stumped me. Both with the script and the manual method for installing firefox32 on my amd64 system, the following happens:

Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package ia32-libs

I am not sure why this happens. I believe I have the appropriate repositories enabled via Synaptic (the following are checked off in Synaptic-->Settings-->Repositories-->Ubuntu 6.10 tab: "Community maintained...," "Canonical supported...," Software restricted...," and "Proprietary drivers...").

sources.list is as follows:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe

I also tried to install each ia32... package individually, and the same result is met--"Couldn't find package [ia32...]."

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Kilz
April 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I have arrived at my first Ubuntu (6.10, 64 bit) problem that has stumped me. Both with the script and the manual method for installing firefox32 on my amd64 system, the following happens:

Building dependency tree

I am not sure why this happens. I believe I have the appropriate repositories enabled via Synaptic (the following are checked off in Synaptic-->Settings-->Repositories-->Ubuntu 6.10 tab: "Community maintained...," "Canonical supported...," Software restricted...," and "Proprietary drivers...").

sources.list is as follows:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse

## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe

## repository.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe

I also tried to install each ia32... package individually, and the same result is met--"Couldn't find package [ia32...]."

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Those packages exist in Edgy. Perhaps your download source was offline. I looked at the repo's in you sources file and it looks like the files are there.

TheTinman
April 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Using the same sources.list that I posted above, I still get the same:

Building dependency tree

I have no idea why this is, but it's preventing me from moving forward in this fix and others. They do not appear via Synaptic either. Is it feasible to manually download and install these packages? Possibly by adding a local path to sources.list where the packages reside on my machine, and then continuing with the "apt-get install" call?

Thanks

TheTinman
April 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Problem resolved.

I found that I certainly am NOT running 64-bit Edgy (must have mislabeled one of the CDs I burned), hence not finding the 32-bit libraries that I was asking the OS to look for.

Thanks for the help.

saru411
April 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
hi killz,
i installed your howto with the script and it worked fine. i have since installed beryl and my nvidia graphics drivers and somehow my flash doesnt work any more on the 32 bit firefox. i havent tried fixing it yet since im not sure which direction to go. im still a n00b with linux but im learning quickly. can i install your script again or will that just corrupt my files? are there some reports i should include in my next post that will help you diagnose my problem? if so what are the commands?

thanks for taking time to help me out

maybe you missed my post last time kilz, anyway here it is again. im wondering what actions i should take now that my flash isnt working in firefox32. it was working before i installed the nvidia driver and beryl. im just asking so i dont go and reinstall the script you posted over the previous install and screw myself even further.

help appreciated

Kilz
April 7th, 2007, 04:30 AM
maybe you missed my post last time kilz, anyway here it is again. im wondering what actions i should take now that my flash isnt working in firefox32. it was working before i installed the nvidia driver and beryl. im just asking so i dont go and reinstall the script you posted over the previous install and screw myself even further.

help appreciated

Just one question, what happens when you turn beryl off and use the old style desktop?

saru411
April 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM
no flash player while beryl is off either

Kilz
April 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
no flash player while beryl is off either

Ok, type in
about:plugins into the firefox address bar. Find the shockwave flash section on that page and copy and paste the section into a reply.

Slimshady
April 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
mistake.

saru411
April 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
VLC multimedia plugin

File name: libvlcplugin.so
VLC multimedia plugin

version 0.8.6 Janus
VideoLAN WWW: http://www.videolan.org/

audio/mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes
audio/x-mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes
video/mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes
video/x-mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes
video/mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes
video/x-mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes
video/mpeg4 MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
audio/mpeg4 MPEG-4 audio mp4,mpg4 Yes
application/mpeg4-iod MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
application/mpeg4-muxcodetable MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
video/x-msvideo AVI video avi Yes
video/quicktime QuickTime video mov,qt Yes
application/x-ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes
application/ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes
application/x-vlc-plugin VLC plugin Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes
video/x-ms-asf Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes
application/x-mplayer2 Windows Media Yes
video/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv Yes
application/x-google-vlc-plugin Google VLC pluginaudio/wav :WAV audioaudio/x-wav::WAV audio: Yes

i inserted the command into the firefox32 not the firefox 64 and this is what i got out of it. maybe when i installed vlc i screwed it up. again thanks for your time kilz

Kilz
April 8th, 2007, 01:19 AM
i inserted the command into the firefox32 not the firefox 64 and this is what i got out of it. maybe when i installed vlc i screwed it up. again thanks for your time kilz

I dont think that would effect the flash plugin. Please paste
about:plugins

into the firefox address bar. A config page like the attached screenshot will show Find the shockwave flash section on that page and copy and paste the section into a reply.

saru411
April 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM
you misunderstand. thats what i got from that command in firefox32!!!

Kilz
April 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
you misunderstand. thats what i got from that command in firefox32!!!

Yes, I did misunderstand, perhaps something is messed up with firefox32. Can you run these an post the results?

ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

ls -al /usr/local/firefox32

saru411
April 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins yields

total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:43 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 500 users 856 2006-12-15 15:51 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 500 users 7040080 2006-12-15 15:51 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 71 2007-04-03 23:45 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib32/java32/j2se/1.4/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 92448 2006-09-19 08:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 19496 2006-09-09 21:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265008 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in.xpt

ls -al /usr/local/firefox32

total 13672
drwxr-xr-x 12 saru saru 4096 2007-04-04 17:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 0 2007-03-09 20:42 .autoreg
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 232 2007-03-09 20:42 browserconfig.properties
drwxr-xr-x 3 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 chrome
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 components
drwxr-xr-x 5 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 defaults
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 dictionaries
drwxr-xr-x 5 saru saru 4096 2007-04-04 17:44 extensions
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 5247 2007-03-09 20:43 firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 10534772 2007-03-09 20:43 firefox-bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 greprefs
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 icons
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 476 2007-03-09 20:43 libfreebl3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 231468 2007-03-09 20:43 libfreebl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 627004 2007-03-09 20:43 libmozjs.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 176716 2007-03-09 20:43 libnspr4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 430608 2007-03-09 20:43 libnss3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 260832 2007-03-09 20:43 libnssckbi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 15304 2007-03-09 20:43 libplc4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 8240 2007-03-09 20:43 libplds4.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 138316 2007-03-09 20:43 libsmime3.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 476 2007-03-09 20:43 libsoftokn3.chk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 309624 2007-03-09 20:43 libsoftokn3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 155560 2007-03-09 20:43 libssl3.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 94924 2007-03-09 20:43 libxpcom_compat.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 698672 2007-03-09 20:43 libxpcom_core.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 9240 2007-03-09 20:43 libxpcom.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 8284 2007-03-09 20:43 libxpistub.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 10336 2007-03-09 20:43 mozilla-xremote-client
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 112 2007-03-09 20:42 old-homepage-default.properties
lrwxrwxrwx 1 saru saru 28 2007-04-03 23:52 plugins -> /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 177 2007-03-09 20:43 readme.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 2257 2007-03-09 20:42 removed-files
drwxr-xr-x 6 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 res
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 10492 2007-03-09 20:43 run-mozilla.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:52 searchplugins
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 67496 2007-03-09 20:43 updater
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru saru 145 2007-03-09 20:42 updater.ini
drwxr-xr-x 3 saru saru 4096 2007-04-04 17:44 updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru saru 21368 2007-03-09 20:43 xpicleanup

Christobevii3
April 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
The automated install seems to work fine for me but i have no menu option to run firefox32 and can't find anywhere in my file structure that would allow me to run it. Am i missing something obvious?

Slimshady
April 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Same thing happened to me, the script went well and without errors, but at the end the firefox32 still wasnt installed. but finally i managed to install it seperatly using this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava
maybe after u will have to move the plugings to another directory, if u have problems ask.

Kilz
April 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
The automated install seems to work fine for me but i have no menu option to run firefox32 and can't find anywhere in my file structure that would allow me to run it. Am i missing something obvious?

It sounds like the install didnt install everything. Did you happen to take the script out of the folder it makes when it is extracted?
Did you make sure the universe and multiverse are enabled (http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#enabling_extra_repositories) before installing anything?
If you run Kubuntu, did you install ia32-libs-gtk through Adapt?

Kilz
April 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins yields

For some reason the chown, or who owns the files is messed up. This is easy to fix.

sudo chown -hR saru:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

saru411
April 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
ok, i did this

sudo chown -hR saru:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
it asked for password,i input it, then returned nothing. after that i opened firefox 32, went to youtube and still flash wasnt working.

note: should i have cd to another directory before running that command?

Christobevii3
April 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
It sounds like the install didnt install everything. Did you happen to take the script out of the folder it makes when it is extracted?
Did you make sure the universe and multiverse are enabled (http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#enabling_extra_repositories) before installing anything?
If you run Kubuntu, did you install ia32-libs-gtk through Adapt?

Yeah I did those

Christobevii3
April 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Now i got it installed and the menu item showed up, but it won't launch properly.

Kilz
April 11th, 2007, 02:51 AM
ok, i did this

it asked for password,i input it, then returned nothing. after that i opened firefox 32, went to youtube and still flash wasnt working.

note: should i have cd to another directory before running that command?

No it has the path, it sounds like it worked since you ddnt get an error. Please enter
ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins again and paste the results here.

Kilz
April 11th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Now i got it installed and the menu item showed up, but it won't launch properly.

Please give me the version of Ubuntu you are using and the version number of the script you ran. Next, exactly what isnt happening, also please open a terminal, paste in
ls -al /usr/local/firefox32 and then copy/paste in the results to a reply here.

saru411
April 11th, 2007, 03:40 AM
i used the other howto for firefox64 flash with the wrapper. worked great but i still want to get this right mainly for the java since i like playing go on kgs

saru@Lain:~$ ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 saru users 4096 2007-04-03 23:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 saru saru 4096 2007-04-03 23:43 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 saru users 856 2006-12-15 15:51 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru users 7040080 2006-12-15 15:51 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 saru users 71 2007-04-03 23:45 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib32/java32/j2se/1.4/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 92448 2006-09-19 08:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 saru users 19496 2006-09-09 21:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 265008 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 264180 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 saru users 981 2007-04-03 23:45 mplayerplug-in.xpt

Kilz
April 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM
i used the other howto for firefox64 flash with the wrapper. worked great but i still want to get this right mainly for the java since i like playing go on kgs

Since you have installed the nspluginwrapper flash will not work on firefox32. Are you by any chance running Feisty Fawn?

saru411
April 11th, 2007, 06:07 AM
no i run edgy eft 6.10 64. im not worried about flash for now, but i would really like to use java on firefox 32 or firefox 64(but i havent found much on this). i want to play go on kgs http://kgs.kiseido.com/

i do however plan on running feisty on another partition/hdd but i want to get a stable version of edgy working first. (off topic; im reading alot of people stating that the new kernel with feisty is allowing them to use their motherboards built in options. ie-asus p5w.)

Kilz
April 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
no i run edgy eft 6.10 64. im not worried about flash for now, but i would really like to use java on firefox 32 or firefox 64(but i havent found much on this). i want to play go on kgs http://kgs.kiseido.com/

i do however plan on running feisty on another partition/hdd but i want to get a stable version of edgy working first. (off topic; im reading alot of people stating that the new kernel with feisty is allowing them to use their motherboards built in options. ie-asus p5w.)

I just visited that link and the applet started. Exactly what isnt working? What happens?

saru411
April 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM
on this page it should have players to play with, games to join, ect. under the kgs logo i only see the white screne with the famous green puzzle piece ive grown to love*sarcasm*

http://www.gokgs.com/applet.jsp

also remember when you asked me to post the info in the begining and all i got was vlc pluggin.

Christobevii3
April 12th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I figured out what was happening. Some of the dependent files weren't downloading in the script.

I had to apt-get -f install them

Kilz
April 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
on this page it should have players to play with, games to join, ect. under the kgs logo i only see the white screne with the famous green puzzle piece ive grown to love*sarcasm*

also remember when you asked me to post the info in the begining and all i got was vlc pluggin.

Have you tried to type in
about:plugins inti the firefox address bar and see whats there now?

Kilz
April 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I figured out what was happening. Some of the dependent files weren't downloading in the script.

I had to apt-get -f install them

apt-get -f is to fix an error in the apt-get database. That could be why they were not downloading/installing.

saru411
April 12th, 2007, 05:25 AM
here is a screen shot. as you can clearly see no java pluggin from that command in firefox32.

does it matter if i have a firefox64 application at the same time when entering this command? if so i'll post another s/s of the information.

Kilz
April 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM
here is a screen shot. as you can clearly see no java pluggin from that command in firefox32.

does it matter if i have a firefox64 application at the same time when entering this command? if so i'll post another s/s of the information.

It will read the 64bit settings if it was open first , please close the 64bit version when working on the 32bit one. You should also have the 64bit one closed first when trying to open the page with the java applet on it. The applet works , see screen shot.

HotFoot
April 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
No flash content is being displayed for me.

I installed 32-bit FireFox on my 64-bit Edgy system using the script linked on the first page. I opted to install Java, Flash, and the MPlayer plugin for Edgy. The installation did not give me any errors.

I am able to run firefox 32-bit (using it to type in this forum), but no flash content is showing. I have disabled my addblock plus for the time being, but this has not helped. I typed "about:plugins" in the address and the flash section reads:

Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

It seems to me that things should just work, but I'm not seeing any flash content. I would appreciate any help.

rogeriovinhal
April 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I have 3 questions.

1- The Mplayer plugin doesn't work, it just stays loading and then stops when it is finished. Why is that?

2- Why does your script download and install the 1.4 Java? Java 1.6 is out, and probably is much better. 1.5 already is.

3- Is there any way I can install a language pack or something like that to change the language of the .deb firefox? I managed to do translate it downloading another version and just unpacking it over the files, but that seems a little harsh.

saru411
April 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
ok i entered the about:plugins command and got this from friefox32. also when i open the kgs page and then hit the play go link it closes my firefox32 browser. flash still doesnt work in firefox32 but i believe its because of the nswrapper, so dont worry about helping me with flash. what should i do next kilz?

Installed plug-ins
Find more information about browser plug-ins at mozilla.org.
Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.
Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

DivX Browser Plug-In

File name: mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
mplayerplug-in 3.31

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

video/divx DivX Media Format divx Yes
video/vnd.divx DivX Media Format divx Yes
QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7

File name: mplayerplug-in-qt.so
mplayerplug-in 3.31

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

video/quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
video/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
image/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
video/quicktime Quicktime mp4 Yes
video/quicktime Quicktime - Session Description Protocol sdp Yes
application/x-quicktimeplayer Quicktime mov Yes
application/smil SMIL smil Yes
RealPlayer 9

File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so
mplayerplug-in 3.31

audio/x-pn-realaudio RealAudio ram,rm Yes
application/vnd.rn-realmedia RealMedia rm Yes
application/vnd.rn-realaudio RealAudio ra,ram Yes
video/vnd.rn-realvideo RealVideo rv Yes
audio/x-realaudio RealAudio ra Yes
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealAudio rpm Yes
application/smil SMIL smil Yes
Windows Media Player Plugin

File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
mplayerplug-in 3.31

application/asx Media Files * Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
video/x-msvideo AVI avi,* Yes
video/msvideo AVI avi,* Yes
application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes
application/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes
video/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yes
video/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yes
video/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv,* Yes
video/x-ms-wmp Windows Media wmp,* Yes
video/x-ms-wvx Windows Media wvx,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wax Windows Media wax,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wma Windows Media wma,* Yes
application/x-drm-v2 Windows Media asx,* Yes
audio/wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes
audio/x-wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes
mplayerplug-in 3.31

File name: mplayerplug-in.so
mplayerplug-in 3.31

video/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
video/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
video/x-mpeg2 MPEG2 mpv2,mp2ve Yes
audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes
audio/x-mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes
video/mp4 MPEG 4 Video mp4 Yes
audio/mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
audio/x-mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
audio/x-mpegurl MPEG url m3u Yes
audio/mp3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
application/x-ogg Ogg Vorbis Media ogg Yes
audio/ogg Ogg Vorbis Audio ogg Yes
application/ogg Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora ogg Yes
video/fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes
video/x-fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes
video/vnd.vivo VivoActive viv,vivo Yes
application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 Nullsoft Streaming Video nsv Yes
audio/x-mod Soundtracker mod Yes
audio/basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes
audio/x-basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes
Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so
The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

* All types .* No
Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-02

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Blackdown Java-Linux Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2

application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yes

janfsd
April 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Hi, thanks for the script. It works great. However I have some problems, for instance, the scrollbar and the status bar look ugly (it looks like the gtk theme changes just for firefox32)
The other problem is that it doesn't integrate with nautilus, for example when I download a file and want to open, it doesn't at all, or when I click to open the folder of the downloads, nothing happens. Is it supposed to be like this? is there any workaround?

Kilz
April 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
No flash content is being displayed for me.

I installed 32-bit FireFox on my 64-bit Edgy system using the script linked on the first page. I opted to install Java, Flash, and the MPlayer plugin for Edgy. The installation did not give me any errors.

I am able to run firefox 32-bit (using it to type in this forum), but no flash content is showing. I have disabled my addblock plus for the time being, but this has not helped. I typed "about:plugins" in the address and the flash section reads:

Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

It seems to me that things should just work, but I'm not seeing any flash content. I would appreciate any help.

Take a look at the red bold text. It says you have nspluginwrapper installed on the plugin. Nspluginwrapper is for making a 32bit plugin work on the 64bit browser. It will not work on the 32bit browser.

Kilz
April 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I have 3 questions.

1- The Mplayer plugin doesn't work, it just stays loading and then stops when it is finished. Why is that?

2- Why does your script download and install the 1.4 Java? Java 1.6 is out, and probably is much better. 1.5 already is.

3- Is there any way I can install a language pack or something like that to change the language of the .deb firefox? I managed to do translate it downloading another version and just unpacking it over the files, but that seems a little harsh.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?
1. What site dose this?
2. java 1.4 works for most people. You can install later versions if you want.
3. Sorry, but I cant support every language. There is a section on the howto with directions on how to change languages.

Kilz
April 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
ok i entered the about:plugins command and got this from friefox32. also when i open the kgs page and then hit the play go link it closes my firefox32 browser. flash still doesnt work in firefox32 but i believe its because of the nswrapper, so dont worry about helping me with flash. what should i do next kilz?

According to the Browser, when you dont have the 64bit browser running first is shows everything is working. When the 64bit browser is running , and you open the 32bit browser, it opens a 64bit , not a 32bit. This is normal.

* All types .* No
Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-02

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Blackdown Java-Linux Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2

application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes

In the java section , the plugin is listed, the version , and I see all functions are enabled because they have a yes. Are you saying that even when you
1. Turn off all open instances of the 64bit browser
2. Then start the 32bit browser
Java doesnt work?

Kilz
April 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hi, thanks for the script. It works great. However I have some problems, for instance, the scrollbar and the status bar look ugly (it looks like the gtk theme changes just for firefox32)
The other problem is that it doesn't integrate with nautilus, for example when I download a file and want to open, it doesn't at all, or when I click to open the folder of the downloads, nothing happens. Is it supposed to be like this? is there any workaround?

Sorry, but some themes are not supported. My sole goal here is to give plugin functionality. I have tried to make things look good, but sometimes, it doesnt happen.
Are you saying that after you have downloaded a file or folder, that nautilus refuses to open that file or folder? What kind of files?

HotFoot
April 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Take a look at the red bold text. It says you have nspluginwrapper installed on the plugin. Nspluginwrapper is for making a 32bit plugin work on the 64bit browser. It will not work on the 32bit browser.

Ah-ha! Well, Flash isn't working in 64-bit firefox either... I've now uninstalled nspluginwrapper and re-run the script from page one, but I still am not seeing any flash content. The output of "about:plugins" is the same: "File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so". How do I fix this problem?

Thanks for the help!

janfsd
April 17th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Sorry, but some themes are not supported. My sole goal here is to give plugin functionality. I have tried to make things look good, but sometimes, it doesnt happen.
Are you saying that after you have downloaded a file or folder, that nautilus refuses to open that file or folder? What kind of files?
I can't open anything, I just click, and nothing happens... so i have to go manually to the downloads folder and open the file...
About the gtk theme, at least is it possible to change to something better looking?

Kilz
April 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I can't open anything, I just click, and nothing happens... so i have to go manually to the downloads folder and open the file...
About the gtk theme, at least is it possible to change to something better looking?

That doesnt sound right, because once a html, archive, or other file is on your computer it doesnt know how it got there. Files saved to one place should open as well in one directory as any other. The files saved on the desktop should open just as well as ones in a download folder.

Are you running Feisty by any chance?

Kilz
April 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Ah-ha! Well, Flash isn't working in 64-bit firefox either... I've now uninstalled nspluginwrapper and re-run the script from page one, but I still am not seeing any flash content. The output of "about:plugins" is the same: "File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so". How do I fix this problem?

Thanks for the help!

That means that there are still plugins with the wrapper someplace on your computer. Where is a good question, they could be any place since there is no nspluginwrapper directory. The user chooses where its installed. You might want to do a search and delete what you find.

HotFoot
April 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM
That means that there are still plugins with the wrapper someplace on your computer. Where is a good question, they could be any place since there is no nspluginwrapper directory. The user chooses where its installed. You might want to do a search and delete what you find.

Perfect. I commented out one line in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, and flash is now working. I had used ndiswrapper to try getting a broadcom 4306 wireless chip working in the past.

IronArjen
April 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Dear Kilz,

1st thanks for all your efforts, you really help all of us out.
2nd I need some explanation about how the script and install is implemented. Explanation.

I used your script successfully and was a happy guy for quite a while. However, one day it no longer worked. I must have done something but since I did not use a lot of Java (at least not that I am aware of) the best I can come up with is: three updates of Firefox (in two weeks!),an install of a software that required full java. That didn t work so I installed full java. Then it worked. Now nothing works. Well MPEG works in Firefox but Java not in Firefox, Flash not always (version?) in firefox and Java not in any application.

To the point:
Can one safely(without loosing the correct settings for JRE32 etc?) upgrade firefox if initially installed via your script?
How does the 32 bit Java relate to the 64 bit Java requirds for other applications?Do they they somehow interfere? (e.g. Does my application ask for the wrong JRE and therefore not work?)
A bit out of the subject maybe: Can you explain a bit about all the things Java actually refers to? : JRE, JWS, JVM. I cannot get clear what is what. Hence: what is "full java"

Thanks Again

Kilz
April 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Dear Kilz,

1st thanks for all your efforts, you really help all of us out.
2nd I need some explanation about how the script and install is implemented. Explanation.

I used your script successfully and was a happy guy for quite a while. However, one day it no longer worked. I must have done something but since I did not use a lot of Java (at least not that I am aware of) the best I can come up with is: three updates of Firefox (in two weeks!),an install of a software that required full java. That didn t work so I installed full java. Then it worked. Now nothing works. Well MPEG works in Firefox but Java not in Firefox, Flash not always (version?) in firefox and Java not in any application.

To the point:
Can one safely(without loosing the correct settings for JRE32 etc?) upgrade firefox if initially installed via your script?
How does the 32 bit Java relate to the 64 bit Java requirds for other applications?Do they they somehow interfere? (e.g. Does my application ask for the wrong JRE and therefore not work?)
A bit out of the subject maybe: Can you explain a bit about all the things Java actually refers to? : JRE, JWS, JVM. I cannot get clear what is what. Hence: what is "full java"

Thanks Again

I am not a java expert, but I will give you the information as I know it.
First off, the script installs java 1.4 JRE. The jre is the Java Runtime Environment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRE). It is the files needed to only run java. The JVM is the java virtual machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_virtual_machine). It is the same as the runtime environment. The JWS is the java web start (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start) this is when java applications started online do not run in your browser. So called "full" java also includes development files to develop java software. If you dont, dont install it as it is a huge install of files you will never use. Lastly, the only way to upgrade the firefox 32 application is with the updated .debs supplied on the howto's first post.

If you are having problems with java running after you upgraded something you can do a few things.
1. Rerun the script to replace everything as it was.(this may not be such a good idea as you may need the newer version to run something)
2. Follow the Java section of the manual part of the howto. (Recommended as it installs a newer java than the script, that only the browser will use).

If you follow #2 do this extra step first to remove the old plugin.

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

mojoman
April 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Kilz:

I installed Feisty (Xubuntu) a couple of days ago. Before, I ran Dapper (Ubuntu) and had a 32-bit chroot environment to use flash and java but I've really had it with chroot so I was thinking about giving your method a go. There are some instructions for Feisty (i.e. disabling ipv6) but only scripts for Dapper and Edgy. Which one do I use?

/mojoman

ps: I'm sure this has been up before and I'm sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find the answer. ds.

Kilz
April 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Kilz:

I installed Feisty (Xubuntu) a couple of days ago. Before, I ran Dapper (Ubuntu) and had a 32-bit chroot environment to use flash and java but I've really had it with chroot so I was thinking about giving your method a go. There are some instructions for Feisty (i.e. disabling ipv6) but only scripts for Dapper and Edgy. Which one do I use?

/mojoman

ps: I'm sure this has been up before and I'm sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find the answer. ds.

Id use the Edgy script, there should be a Feisty one in a day or so.

mojoman
April 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Id use the Edgy script, there should be a Feisty one in a day or so.

Ok, sounds great. I think I'll wait for the Feisty script. Thanks!
/mojoman

skatedawe
April 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I've upgraded to feisty yesterday and wanted to fix java and flash.

I use the 64bit version of feisty. I followed the guide on the steps for java and flash. Flash works but not java...

My first problem is that i cant start firefox32; here are my errors:

(firefox-bin:15789): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(firefox-bin:15789): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(firefox-bin:15789): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

What can i do ? thanks for all help.

Kilz
April 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I've upgraded to feisty yesterday and wanted to fix java and flash.

I use the 64bit version of feisty. I followed the guide on the steps for java and flash. Flash works but not java...

My first problem is that i cant start firefox32; here are my errors:

(firefox-bin:15789): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

What can i do ? thanks for all help.

looks like some last minute changes were done to Feisty that are making Firefox not work. Its going to take a little bit to fix this.

veeravalli
April 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks Kilz, :) I just now ran your Feisty script and successfully installed Firefox32 and Flash 9. I installed Java following your Manual Howto, as the Java agreement was not getting accepted, either by my hitting Enter or clicking the OK in the agreement. If you can spare the time, please let me know what I should have done to accept the agreement.

Medieval_Creations
April 21st, 2007, 01:21 AM
I just did a fresh install. I ran the new fiesty script and this is the error I'm getting.

--20:25:42-- http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
Length: 9,714,670 (9.3M) [text/plain]

50% [=================> ] 9,714,670 159.02K/s ETA 01:00

20:26:43 (158.02 KB/s) - `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb' saved [9714670/9714670]

dpkg: error processing /home/alchemist/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
/home/alchemist/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb

Not sure why I'm having a problem. I'm going to try to install everything manually and see what happens.

strumluff
April 21st, 2007, 02:16 AM
I'm getting the same error as Medeival_Creations when I ran the feisty script. Will also give manual a go

Edit: Just noticed you recommend not to do a manual install on feisty, seems as though the script downloads the package to the base-plugins directory but makes a reference to it to install from the base-plugins directory supposedly on the desktop, which isn't where the package is located. :) My workaround was to create a base-plugins folder on the desktop and put the firefox32.deb in it so the script can pick it up but again fell flat on its face when i got this output:

(Reading database ... 92047 files and directories currently installed.)
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of firefox32:
firefox32 depends on linux32; however:
Package linux32 is not installed.
firefox32 depends on gsfonts-x11; however:
Package gsfonts-x11 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing firefox32 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
firefox32

st33med
April 21st, 2007, 02:41 AM
Also the Java version is out of date. It is now 6u1.

I tried to change it so it uses that version, but, unfortunately, it gives me this... uhhh... 'error'...

root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# chmod 777 ./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# chmod 777 ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin: line 1: `<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>'

Fix this please?

benrboone
April 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks again for putting this how to together. I've used it for dapper, edgy and now feisty. It has always solved my problems with mplayer plugins and flash.

adza
April 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
great script kilz! i am getting these messages in a couple of installs i'm trying today (just fresh installed feisty)

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libnvidia-cfg.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libGLcore.so.1 is not a symbolic link

does anyone get these? Should i create these as symbolic links to the lib64 dir?

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
I just did a fresh install. I ran the new fiesty script and this is the error I'm getting.

--20:25:42-- http://home.comcast.net/~next/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb
Length: 9,714,670 (9.3M) [text/plain]

50% [=================> ] 9,714,670 159.02K/s ETA 01:00

20:26:43 (158.02 KB/s) - `firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb' saved [9714670/9714670]

dpkg: error processing /home/alchemist/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
/home/alchemist/Desktop/base-plugins/firefox32-2.0-ubuntu-amd64.deb

Not sure why I'm having a problem. I'm going to try to install everything manually and see what happens.

Did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in?
I dont recommend anyone running Feisty to install the manual howto, there are a few missing instructions that are included in the script.

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Also the Java version is out of date. It is now 6u1.

I tried to change it so it uses that version, but, unfortunately, it gives me this... uhhh... 'error'...

root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# chmod 777 ./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# chmod 777 ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
root@andrew-laptop:~/Desktop# ./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
./jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin: line 1: `<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>'

Fix this please?

This is the reason I setup 1.5 to install. 6 is buggy as can be and errors. If you find a solution please share it with us.

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
great script kilz! i am getting these messages in a couple of installs i'm trying today (just fresh installed feisty)

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libnvidia-cfg.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /usr/lib32/tls/libGLcore.so.1 is not a symbolic link

does anyone get these? Should i create these as symbolic links to the lib64 dir?

Looks like you may need to work on installing the graphics driver.

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks Kilz, :) I just now ran your Feisty script and successfully installed Firefox32 and Flash 9. I installed Java following your Manual Howto, as the Java agreement was not getting accepted, either by my hitting Enter or clicking the OK in the agreement. If you can spare the time, please let me know what I should have done to accept the agreement.

Thats weird, I was able to click on it, the ok wasnt the accepting, it was the yes/no question right after that.

Medieval_Creations
April 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Did you take the script out of the folder it extracts in?
I dont recommend anyone running Feisty to install the manual howto, there are a few missing instructions that are included in the script.

No I left it in the directory it unzipped to. I didn't save it to the desktop. I'll try moving it to the desktop and see. I didn't even get around to trying the manual install last night so no worries there. :)

Medieval_Creations
April 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
OK. I ran the script from the desktop and worked like a charm.

Completely forgot that it's a script and will be looking for the downloaded deb's in a specific path.

Thanx Kilz!

rockyraccoon
April 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
hey,
i am running feisty 64 bit and used the script to install firefox32. when i try to open it or iceweasel or any of the other variants (i tried them all), i get a waiting cursor and the program bar at the bottom of the screen saying that its opening the program but then it quits and nothing happens. i tried to open firefox32 from a terminal, but i get this message:

/usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgobject-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i believe i'm supposed to be ignoring part of that, but i couldn't find anything about the last message. i'm sorry if this has already been covered but i couldn't find it. i'm pretty new to ubuntu, so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM
hey,
i am running feisty 64 bit and used the script to install firefox32. when i try to open it or iceweasel or any of the other variants (i tried them all), i get a waiting cursor and the program bar at the bottom of the screen saying that its opening the program but then it quits and nothing happens. i tried to open firefox32 from a terminal, but i get this message:

i believe i'm supposed to be ignoring part of that, but i couldn't find anything about the last message. i'm sorry if this has already been covered but i couldn't find it. i'm pretty new to ubuntu, so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

That file is part of ia32-libs, the script is set up to install it. What was the name of the tar file you downloaded?
You should be able to install the package, but if it didnt install I wonder what else may not have. You do have all the repositories enabled , right?
Open a terminal and enter.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

mojoman
April 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi,

I tried to install through the Feisty script but encountered some problems. First, I couldn't start it by double-clicking on it. I don't know if this has something to do with me running xfce4 on Xubuntu but I can't see why it should because I can double-click on other file-types to run them. Anyway, I figured I might as well start it in a terminal so I opened one and punched in "sh base-plugins". Maybe that was a big mistake because although it seemed to start fine after a while of apt-get and download it came to a stop with the following error:

base-plugins: 31: function: not found

base-plugins: 35: Syntax error: "}" unexpected
mojoman@jukejoint:~/Desktop/base-plugins$

Now, I got a couple of downloaded .debs in the base-plugin folder on my desktop. I haven't tried to run the firefox .deb after this as the script obviously didn't install correctly.

Any ideas on what to do?
/mojoman

Medieval_Creations
April 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
mojo:
You could try to run it from the CLI. That's what I did.

just type: ./base-plugins

I can't remember if I had to use sudo or not.

Just make sure it's all located on your desktop. That's where I made my mistake. :)

computerjunkie
April 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
ok I followed the manual way to install the 32 bit browser and it installed fine, then used the commands to move the libflashplayer.so and .xpt to the /usr/lib32/firefox32 folder then downloaded the packages for sound and the alsa-oss package through apt-get. then used

sudo chown -hR chris:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

however the flash player plugin still doesnt appear in the list of available plugins when I type about : plugins (spaces are there because if it is run together a smiley face appears in the post) into the address bar.

What happened?

Medieval_Creations
April 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
What version of Ubuntu are you running?

If I remember correctly I think Kilz mentioned that the Manual way is missing some steps needed for Fiesty.
That could be why it's not working properly.

mojoman
April 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
mojo:
You could try to run it from the CLI. That's what I did.

just type: ./base-plugins

I can't remember if I had to use sudo or not.

Just make sure it's all located on your desktop. That's where I made my mistake. :)

I did run it from CLI (terminal) but didn't run it as root. Maybe I should try that. Anyway, I downloaded the tarball to the desktop and extracted it there so I have a folder called base-plugins and in that folder I have the script called base-plugins. Do you mean that the script itself should be placed on the desktop? Because that's not what the readme-file says.

/mojoman

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM
I did run it from CLI (terminal) but didn't run it as root. Maybe I should try that. Anyway, I downloaded the tarball to the desktop and extracted it there so I have a folder called base-plugins and in that folder I have the script called base-plugins. Do you mean that the script itself should be placed on the desktop? Because that's not what the readme-file says.

/mojoman

Leave the script in the folder. The files it downloads go in it, and are then cleaned up when everything is done. Try
sudo bash
Then run the script with
./base-plugins

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 07:39 PM
ok I followed the manual way to install the 32 bit browser and it installed fine, then used the commands to move the libflashplayer.so and .xpt to the /usr/lib32/firefox32 folder then downloaded the packages for sound and the alsa-oss package through apt-get. then used

sudo chown -hR chris:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

however the flash player plugin still doesnt appear in the list of available plugins when I type about : plugins (spaces are there because if it is run together a smiley face appears in the post) into the address bar.

What happened?

Please, just run the script. This will make sure that everything is done. If you are running Feisty (as most people installing now are) you need to use the script as the manual howto is only for Dapper and Edgy.

computerjunkie
April 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
sorry i forgot to mentioon that, I am using ubuntu 6.10

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks, but the advice is still good. If you cant get the manual howto to work. Install the automatic script. It will write over everything and make sure everything is done.

computerjunkie
April 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM

anyway the script didnt work, it created the essential folder, output "cannot create" something then terminal quit. it installed firefox to /usr/local/bin but there are no other files in that directory.

anyway flashplayer still doesnt work.

ok so I got fed up with that and installed firefox 2.0.0.3 for windows using WINE and then installed flashplayer for the windows firefox and it actually works, but there is no sound, any ideas hwo to correct this?

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM

anyway the script didnt work, it created the essential folder, output "cannot create" something then terminal quit. it installed firefox to /usr/local/bin but there are no other files in that directory.

anyway flashplayer still doesnt work.

ok so I got fed up with that and installed firefox 2.0.0.3 for windows using WINE and then installed flashplayer for the windows firefox and it actually works, but there is no sound, any ideas hwo to correct this?

Nope.

computerjunkie
April 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
so im SOL?

st33med
April 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
OOPS! I realized this is for amd64!

Where do I go for normal install?

mojoman
April 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Leave the script in the folder. The files it downloads go in it, and are then cleaned up when everything is done. Try
sudo bash
Then run the script with
./base-plugins

I re-ran the script with sudo and it installed without a hitch. Java, flash and mplayer all works great now. Excellent script! Thanks Kilz!

/mojoman

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
so im SOL?

If you dont want to install the script, I dont know what I can do to help you. Im not sure about the sound in flash on wine.
But from what I have read, you at least have Firefox 32 installed. If you want to finish the script install. Can you tell me if the browser-plugins folder was removed from your desktop, thats the last thing the script does.

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM
OOPS! I realized this is for amd64!

Where do I go for normal install?

Take a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats?highlight=%28restricted%29) for instructions for 32bit Ubuntu.

Kilz
April 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
I re-ran the script with sudo and it installed without a hitch. Java, flash and mplayer all works great now. Excellent script! Thanks Kilz!

/mojoman

Your welcome. Was it just plain sudo or sudo bash that let it install on xubuntu?

veeravalli
April 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks Kilz!

drtvasudevan
April 22nd, 2007, 03:37 AM
installed this script for feisty and it worked ok with no problems
and thanks a ton!
;-)

mojoman
April 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Your welcome. Was it just plain sudo or sudo bash that let it install on xubuntu?

I just punched in

sudo ./base-plugins
chosed firefox and answered yes on the questions about java, flash and mplayer plugin and that was it!
/mojoman

rockyraccoon
April 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
That file is part of ia32-libs, the script is set up to install it. What was the name of the tar file you downloaded?
You should be able to install the package, but if it didnt install I wonder what else may not have. You do have all the repositories enabled , right?
Open a terminal and enter.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

i tried that and it told me that ia32-libs is up to date. i double checked and i do have all repositories enabled. still nothing.

thanks for the help.

Kilz
April 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
i tried that and it told me that ia32-libs is up to date. i double checked and i do have all repositories enabled. still nothing.

thanks for the help.

Is it still giving the same error when started in the terminal?

Kilz
April 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I just punched in

sudo ./base-plugins
chosed firefox and answered yes on the questions about java, flash and mplayer plugin and that was it!
/mojoman

rockyraccoon
April 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Is it still giving the same error when started in the terminal?

$ firefox32
/usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgobject-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

that it is.

Kilz
April 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
that it is.

Go here, (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=amd64&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fi%2Fia32-libs%2Fia32-libs_1.5ubuntu9_amd64.deb&md5sum=8da1f0b3a40ea2c12cf2beff686e93c1&arch=amd64&type=main) download the package, double click on it and let gdebi reinstall it.

rockyraccoon
April 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Go here, (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=amd64&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fi%2Fia32-libs%2Fia32-libs_1.5ubuntu9_amd64.deb&md5sum=8da1f0b3a40ea2c12cf2beff686e93c1&arch=amd64&type=main) download the package, double click on it and let gdebi reinstall it.

it says a later version is already installed and won't let me reinstall.

Kilz
April 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
it says a later version is already installed and won't let me reinstall.

Try uninstalling the ia32-libs and then reinstalling them. but before you do run
sudo apt-get clean to clear out the downloaded copy on your computer.

rockyraccoon
April 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
it worked! thanks a lot. i'm running iceweasel right now.

edit:
the flash plugin installed but does not have sound.

Kilz
April 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
it worked! thanks a lot. i'm running iceweasel right now.

edit:
the flash plugin installed but does not have sound.

Look at the manual flash section of the howto for information on flash and sound. Also try any other flash site besides youtube.

rockyraccoon
April 23rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
Look at the manual flash section of the howto for information on flash and sound. Also try any other flash site besides youtube.

i followed the steps for sound in the howto and tried some other sites but still nothing.

Kilz
April 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
i followed the steps for sound in the howto and tried some other sites but still nothing.

Ok please enter these commands and paste back the replies. You will want to copy/paste them into a terminal.

ls -al ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

and

rockyraccoon
April 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ok please enter these commands and paste back the replies. You will want to copy/paste them into a terminal.

ls -al ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

and

$ ls -al ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys
total 16
drwx------ 3 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 19:20 .
drwx------ 3 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 15:26 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 292 2007-04-22 19:20 settings.sol
drwx------ 2 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 15:26 #www.youtube.com

and

$ ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 dave dave 4096 2007-04-22 15:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 dave dave 4096 2007-04-20 17:50 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 500 users 856 2006-12-15 16:51 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 500 users 7040080 2006-12-15 16:51 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 82 2007-04-20 17:56 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave dave 92448 2006-09-19 09:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dave dave 19496 2006-09-09 22:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265008 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in.xpt

obviously, my username is dave.

Kilz
April 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
and

obviously, my username is dave.

I see that the owner of the flash plugins is only users. I think we should deal with that first and see if the problem clears up.

sudo chown -R dave:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins

rockyraccoon
April 23rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
$ ls -al ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys
total 16
drwx------ 3 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 19:20 .
drwx------ 3 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 15:26 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 292 2007-04-22 19:20 settings.sol
drwx------ 2 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 15:26 #www.youtube.com
dave@themachine:~$ ls -al /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
total 8360
drwxr-xr-x 2 dave users 4096 2007-04-22 15:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 dave dave 4096 2007-04-20 17:50 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 dave users 856 2006-12-15 16:51 flashplayer.xpt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dave users 7040080 2006-12-15 16:51 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dave users 82 2007-04-20 17:56 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 92448 2006-09-19 09:39 libnpp.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dave users 19496 2006-09-09 22:41 libnullplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 265008 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 264180 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
-rw-r--r-- 1 dave users 981 2007-04-22 15:24 mplayerplug-in.xpt

no sound yet though.

Kilz
April 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
no sound yet though.

Do you have sound in any plugin, like the mplayer or java?

rockyraccoon
April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
i went here (http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml) to test java and it needs a plugin installed, so i tried to install it. it told me that "Java Runtime Environment" was available, but when i tried to install it, it then said that no suitable plugins were available. i also tested mplayer and got no sound.

Kilz
April 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
i went here (http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml) to test java and it needs a plugin installed, so i tried to install it. it told me that "Java Runtime Environment" was available, but when i tried to install it, it then said that no suitable plugins were available. i also tested mplayer and got no sound.

Ok, I dont like that verify for java. It only checks the latest version. Sadly java 6 is to buggy to use. Try this page instead. (http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp)
So you have no sound regardless of the pulgin. I have a feeling some things didnt install on your computer. Please go to /ect/apt/sources.list and copy and paste the file into a reply.
I know you are running Feisty, but are you running Ubuntu , Xubuntu, or Kubuntu?

rockyraccoon
April 24th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Ok, I dont like that verify for java. It only checks the latest version. Sadly java 6 is to buggy to use. Try this page instead. (http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp)
So you have no sound regardless of the pulgin. I have a feeling some things didnt install on your computer. Please go to /ect/apt/sources.list and copy and paste the file into a reply.
I know you are running Feisty, but are you running Ubuntu , Xubuntu, or Kubuntu?

i tried the java test with exactly the same results. i'm running ubuntu. and...

# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.04 _Feisty Fawn_ - Release amd64 (20070415)]/ feisty main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main restricted

## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe

## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse

## repository.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security multiverse

#AUTOMATIX REPOS START

deb http://www.getautomatix.com/apt feisty main

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu feisty-commercial main

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-updates universe multiverse

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security main restricted universe multiverse
#AUTOMATIX REPOS END

Kilz
April 24th, 2007, 04:19 AM
i tried the java test with exactly the same results. i'm running ubuntu. and...

Ok, at least the sources look good, But im not sure why you are not getting any sound, out of any plugin. Second, we can see that there is a java plugin, but the browser isnt seeing it.

Lets make sure the java plugin symlink in the plugins directory is actually linking to a file.

ls -al /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7

Also do you have sound outside of the browser?

rockyraccoon
April 24th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Also do you have sound outside of the browser?

$ ls -al /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11/jre/plugin/i386/ns7
total 116
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-22 15:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2007-04-22 15:24 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 103432 2006-12-15 07:09 libjavaplugin_oji.so

yes, i do have sound outside the brower. cds and audio files play fine.

Kilz
April 24th, 2007, 06:17 AM
yes, i do have sound outside the brower. cds and audio files play fine.

Java should work, all the files are in place. What plugins are listed when you type in
about:plugins in the adress bar? At least copy the flash section and paste in into a post.

Lets also make sure that all the sound packages that were supposed to be installed by the script were.

sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 alsa-oss

rockyraccoon
April 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Java should work, all the files are in place. What plugins are listed when you type in
about:plugins in the adress bar? At least copy the flash section and paste in into a post.

Lets also make sure that all the sound packages that were supposed to be installed by the script were.

sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 alsa-oss

the plugins:

Installed plug-ins
Find more information about browser plug-ins at mozilla.org.
Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.
Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

$ sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 alsa-oss
Password:
Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
vmware-player-kernel-modules vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-15
libssl0.9.7
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

should i remove the vmware packages or does it matter?

Kilz
April 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
the plugins:
should i remove the vmware packages or does it matter?

It doesn't matter. The only other thing I can think of, is close all firefox windows. Open a terminal, type in firefox32, go to a flash site and see if we get any sound errors in the terminal.

rockyraccoon
April 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
It doesn't matter. The only other thing I can think of, is close all firefox windows. Open a terminal, type in firefox32, go to a flash site and see if we get any sound errors in the terminal.

well, when i open firefox32 from a terminal, it gives me this:

$ firefox32

(firefox-bin:30347): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

if i try swiftfox, it gives me this:

$ swiftfox

(swiftfox-bin:30469): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(swiftfox-bin:30469): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/libunixprintplugin.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/libunixprintplugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-dvx.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-dvx.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-qt.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-qt.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-wmp.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in-wmp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/swiftfox/plugins/npwrapper.so [/opt/swiftfox/plugins/npwrapper.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]

the thing about "C Library" wasn't there before. nor were the loadplugin failure messages.

also, when i go to a flash site, there are no additional errors.

Churnd
April 25th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I've used this script twice on a fresh Feisty x64 install, and it worked great both times. Thanks!

Kilz
April 25th, 2007, 03:26 AM
well, when i open firefox32 from a terminal, it gives me this:

if i try swiftfox, it gives me this:

the thing about "C Library" wasn't there before. nor were the loadplugin failure messages.

also, when i go to a flash site, there are no additional errors.

For Firefox 32, the preload errors can be ignored, its using an alternate location for the C library, that is ok as far as I can tell.
Sadly Im not sure why firefox 32 isnt working like it should for you. Everything is in place and configured correctly.

rockyraccoon
April 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM
For Firefox 32, the preload errors can be ignored, its using an alternate location for the C library, that is ok as far as I can tell.
Sadly Im not sure why firefox 32 isnt working like it should for you. Everything is in place and configured correctly.

crap. i was afraid you were going to say that. thanks for all you help, at any rate. i greatly appreciate it.

madman91
April 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
As always, great work Kilz :)

Fraoch
April 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Working fine here, thanks!

For newbies like me, if you have a Firefox shortcut in your bottom panel, right-click it, select "Properties" and change "Command" to "firefox32". Mine read "firefox %u", now it reads "firefox32 %u".

Also go to System - Preferences - Preferred Applications and in the Internet tab, Web Browser, select "Custom" rather than Firefox from the dropdown list, then change "Command" to "firefox32". Mine read "firefox %s", now it reads "firefox32 %s".

Correct me if I'm wrong here Kilz, but this keeps Firefox 64 for system help but uses Firefox 32 for everything else.

Kilz
April 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Working fine here, thanks!

For newbies like me, if you have a Firefox shortcut in your bottom panel, right-click it, select "Properties" and change "Command" to "firefox32". Mine read "firefox %u", now it reads "firefox32 %u".

Also go to System - Preferences - Preferred Applications and in the Internet tab, Web Browser, select "Custom" rather than Firefox from the dropdown list, then change "Command" to "firefox32". Mine read "firefox %s", now it reads "firefox32 %s".

Correct me if I'm wrong here Kilz, but this keeps Firefox 64 for system help but uses Firefox 32 for everything else.

Yes, Firefox 32 doesnt replace the 64bit Firefox. Because there are some things that use the 64bit firefox like the help file reader that opens when you click on a help button in a program.

blackdevil
May 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
Awesome. Everything works now :) Only reason left to boot to windows now is games.... now only to get WINE working...

treeby
May 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
i did this and everything installed great and Firefox 32 bit showed up in my Applications menu...but
i still didn't get any sound. i killed all apps...still no sound.
i think it has something to do with the fact that i turned off my sound card in BIOS in order to run my USB
speakers which work...is there any way i could get Flash to recognize them? right now pretty much only
gaim and mp3s and movies make sound on my computer...
thanks for any help.

rob356
May 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Installed on Feisty, AMD64, Works great!:) Now if only shockwave would work... Oh well.

timyoungblood
May 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM

Brilliant! This was the case indeed for me. If you are having issues with everything else working except for Flash, 'sudo updatedb' to reindex, then 'locate npwrapper' to see if npwrapper.libflashplayer.so is hiding somewhere. If you find it just delete it and restart Firefox32.

Thanks Kilz! :)

HotFoot
May 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
I wish this thread was a sticky. I look it up every time I install ubuntu, and this time, it was back in the 4th page of my "firefox 32" search.

Kudos to Kilz!

Bashed
May 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
75 pages long, can't search all that so I'll ask here :)

Will this work on my Intel Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 64bit Feisty?

HotFoot
May 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
75 pages long, can't search all that so I'll ask here :)

Will this work on my Intel Core 2 Duo Ubuntu 64bit Feisty?

I haven't used this script with a Core 2 Duo, but I see no reason why your experience would be any different than mine. I just downloaded and ran the Feisty script with no problems. I used it to install Firefox, Flash, Java, and the Mplayer plugin. I've also used the script for Edgy in the past.