PDA

View Full Version : What's your ubuntu entertainment situation???

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I'm rather new to Linux. I know gaming options are limited on Ubuntu but I was just curious what good free games there are for Ubuntu or even decent browser games accessible across all platforms (but not really interested in Face Book games.

I've looked through the software center and kinda like Monsterz(puzzle) and Nexius(fps) but I'm wondering if there are some hidden "gems" out there that I may have not considered.

What do you like?

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Warzone 2100 is the only decent game :p and it is a remake

there is some oil rig game that looks decent, but I haven't played it. It doesn't seem like my type of game.

Dlambert
July 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I KNOW THEY'RE NOT FREE, but these are the best Linux games in my opinion.

OIL RUSH. It's an RTS game. 20$

OverGrowth (ALPHA) is a fighting game. 30$

Trine 1 and 2. RPG/Platformer/Adventure 20/15$ respectively

Big and TIny, a sandbox fps game 15 I think

Amnesia, a survival horror game 20$

black veils
July 14th, 2012, 10:21 AM
- hedgewars (like ps1 worms armageddon)

- supertux (like mario)

- supertuxkart (like mario kart)

- ace-of-penguins (for solitaire etc)

- gnibbles (snake)

- scrabble in web browser (lexulous)

good games^

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 10:40 AM
How about First Person Shooter games? I've been wanting to try out some games on Ubuntu too.

mike acker
July 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
who likes what for music library? the default program looked a lot like MSFT/Media Player. I was hoping the had MusicBee for Ubuntu but didn't find it

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 12:53 PM
who likes what for music library? the default program looked a lot like MSFT/Media Player. I was hoping the had MusicBee for Ubuntu but didn't find it

There's Banshee, Rhythmbox, and Amarok. That's all I know for now.

azangru
July 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM
How about First Person Shooter games? I've been wanting to try out some games on Ubuntu too.

Xonotic (or Nexuiz)
Urban Terror (haven't tried it, but seems decent)
And there are also Doom-3 and Quake-4 :)

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Xonotic (or Nexuiz)

Thank you!

Dlambert
July 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Savage 2 and Heroes of Newerth are great games too!

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Warzone 2100 is the only decent game :p and it is a remake

there is some oil rig game that looks decent, but I haven't played it. It doesn't seem like my type of game.

I'm downloading Warzone2100 now, it looks kinda like some windows95 games I used to have (I think Dark Reign and Dark Colony were the names) so it should be promising.

Update:
Ok, played the tutorial, and this looks like a great game. Much like the other win95 games I played before but better graphics and multi-player support. Also, I'm a petroleum engineering student, so the focus on oil as energy, and designing the vehicles, is just awesome in my opinion. Great suggestion, thanks!!!

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I KNOW THEY'RE NOT FREE, but these are the best Linux games in my opinion.

OIL RUSH. It's an RTS game. 20$

OverGrowth (ALPHA) is a fighting game. 30$

Trine 1 and 2. RPG/Platformer/Adventure 20/15$ respectively

Big and TIny, a sandbox fps game 15 I think

Amnesia, a survival horror game 20$

I have no moral objecting to paying for games. I'm just waiting until finish my degree and have an increase in my entertainment budget before buying games again. At that point I'll probably just get a PS3 though (or whatever system is best at that time) and forget about gaming on PC.

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
you can get xbox 360's for cheap now. I bought 2 for $15 :p

Granted, they had the RROD, but I fixed them both in a couple hours. I was hoping to salvage one to have an unmodded box. Someone gave me a broken one and I fixed it, too. So now I have enough for LAN parties lol I designed some mods to keep them from breaking again, too.

Gamestop is a great place to get games. They have a LOT of great games for $20 and less. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Final Fantasy games, and lots of others. (OK, I'm an RPG fan... lol). It is hard for pawn shops and the like to compete. They can't really update their prices and keep track like gamestop can, so they are usually way overpriced.

If you are a tinkerer, you can get on craigslist and buy one for really cheap with a RROD. You'll want to know the error code as well. I forgot which, but there is one that means that the board is screwed. I know because I found out if you really fail a fix hardcore it gives you that error, and it cannot be fixed :D

and np on the suggestion. I've put many hours on warzone 2100 and the game it was based off of (which was on the N64, I think). Speaking of which, you may want to check out emulators. mupen64 is a good one for the N64. There are several other systems available as well, then all you have to do is get the ROM's, which are available all over the place. just google.

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
- hedgewars (like ps1 worms armageddon)

- supertux (like mario)

- supertuxkart (like mario kart)

- ace-of-penguins (for solitaire etc)

- gnibbles (snake)

- scrabble in web browser (lexulous)

good games^

I never played worms before but I'll try hedgewars.

I tried supertuxkart before, but it seemed "slower" than the mario kart I used to enjoy back in the day. Its possible its just my system or some setting.

However, where do you find the version of scrabble you like. Lexulous looks like a phone based game. I would be very interested in finding a good scrabble clone (especially with online multiplayer ability), the software center has PyScrabble, but it doesn't appear to be rated very high.

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Nexuiz is a great game for FPS (Online Arena Style; it doesn't have a story mode). It looks good even on low system settings, but I recently updated my AMD vid drivers so I could run it on a higher graphics setting, and it does look awesome.

Petro Dawg
July 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
you can get xbox 360's for cheap now. I bought 2 for $15 :p

Granted, they had the RROD, but I fixed them both in a couple hours. I was hoping to salvage one to have an unmodded box. Someone gave me a broken one and I fixed it, too. So now I have enough for LAN parties lol I designed some mods to keep them from breaking again, too.

Gamestop is a great place to get games. They have a LOT of great games for $20 and less. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Final Fantasy games, and lots of others. (OK, I'm an RPG fan... lol). It is hard for pawn shops and the like to compete. They can't really update their prices and keep track like gamestop can, so they are usually way overpriced.

If you are a tinkerer, you can get on craigslist and buy one for really cheap with a RROD. You'll want to know the error code as well. I forgot which, but there is one that means that the board is screwed. I know because I found out if you really fail a fix hardcore it gives you that error, and it cannot be fixed :D

and np on the suggestion. I've put many hours on warzone 2100 and the game it was based off of (which was on the N64, I think). Speaking of which, you may want to check out emulators. mupen64 is a good one for the N64. There are several other systems available as well, then all you have to do is get the ROM's, which are available all over the place. just google.

I have a PS2, and I too am a final fantasy buff. I have 1 to 12 (except 11; the online one). I'll have to wait for 13+ until I have the budget for a PS3. Most of my PS2 games came from gamestop, or other similar game stores (of course I bought them long after the PS3 came out so most of them were about $10 I think).

The only emulator I've tried recently is DOSBOX so I could play Doom and Zork1-3 (if you can believe it). I like ZORK because I can play it on lunch breaks at work and people just think I'm really dedicated and still working, no one ever bothers to read the text on my screen ;-)

Arthur_D
July 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I tried supertuxkart before, but it seemed "slower" than the mario kart I used to enjoy back in the day. Its possible its just my system or some setting.
If it's slower in terms of gameplay, make sure you are playing on difficulty level Expert and not Novice. The lower difficulties are slower than the higher.

cbennett926
July 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Xonotic (or Nexuiz)

How can I get Doom-3? Also, do you have to purchase a copy? Oh! And Quake-4?!

Max Blyss
July 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I play Nexuiz, and Red Eclipse a lot... Have also been hooked on Secret Maryo Chronicles for a while... Best Mario clone, IMO. (If you're running 12.04 you'll have to create the campaign directory... there's a thread on the forums somewhere...)

You can install Speed Dreams, a pretty cool racer from a PPA:http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/speed-dreams-20-available-multi.html

There's Xonotic, which I haven't played yet, and a host of console gamer emulators in the software center, and Marble Arena 2...

Those are just the free ones I play, but I've heard there's some awesome purchase-ables out there...

Oh, and SUPERTUXKART FOREVER!!!! Love that game.

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Ohh, America's Army. It's fun and free. I think the Linux version has to play with MAC's and other Linux player, though.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I'm rather new to Linux. I know gaming options are limited on Ubuntu but I was just curious what good free games there are for Ubuntu or even decent browser games accessible across all platforms (but not really interested in Face Book games...

You may want to look at what is in the "Gaming & Leisure" sub-forum http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

The people on that sub-forum may be able to direct you to what you are interested in.

Dlambert
July 15th, 2012, 02:35 AM
GIVE UP ON PC GAMING? Give up? PC gaming is the best IMO.

Petro Dawg
July 15th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I play Nexuiz, and Red Eclipse a lot... Have also been hooked on Secret Maryo Chronicles for a while... Best Mario clone, IMO. (If you're running 12.04 you'll have to create the campaign directory... there's a thread on the forums somewhere...)

You can install Speed Dreams, a pretty cool racer from a PPA:http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/speed-dreams-20-available-multi.html

There's Xonotic, which I haven't played yet, and a host of console gamer emulators in the software center, and Marble Arena 2...

Those are just the free ones I play, but I've heard there's some awesome purchase-ables out there...

Oh, and SUPERTUXKART FOREVER!!!! Love that game.

Never heard of Speed Dreams before, it looks interesting and I'm in the process of downloading it. Perhaps I'll take another look at SuperTuxKart, maybe I didn't give it a fair chance the last time I tried it.

Petro Dawg
July 15th, 2012, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE=Max Blyss;12102936]I play Nexuiz, and Red Eclipse a lot... Have also been hooked on Secret Maryo Chronicles for a while... Best Mario clone, IMO. (If you're running 12.04 you'll have to create the campaign directory... there's a thread on the forums somewhere...)
/QUOTE]

What is the best way to install Red Eclipse, is there a ppa for it? If so, whats the terminal code needed to download it?