PDA

View Full Version : What to include.

Kopkins
July 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Hello all,

I'm in the process of making a brochure for Ubuntu. More specifically, a brochure to give to Windows users to encourage them to try Ubuntu. I'm wondering what some important points you think I should include are.

Thank you.
Kopkins

Rexilion
July 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ubuntu specific:
- Well tested distribution
- Helpful and big community
- Derivative of Debian -> Well established distribution
- Multiple flavours that are well supported
- Nice liveCD option (no installation required to test)

Linux in common:
- Out of the box support for hardware
- Much customization possible
- Generally easy help on issue's (no fee's required)

elliotn
July 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
No activation required
No purchase required
No viruses

tilii
July 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The freedom of choice.

Even distros based on similar desktop environments can have a very different "feel."

Experiment and enjoy.

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
What's it look like so far?

Perhaps you should use the Ubuntu Font Family (http://font.ubuntu.com/) and keep the whole orange theme? Ubuntu logo, of course. Most helpful Ubuntu Community at the UbuntuForums.org. Provide some general system requirements like 1 GB RAM, 10 GB Hard Disk Drive, etc. Highly customizable.

I'd really like to see the design of it so far or when you've completed it. :)

rickm1945
July 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
What's it look like so far?

Perhaps you should use the Ubuntu Font Family (http://font.ubuntu.com/) and keep the whole orange theme? Ubuntu logo, of course. Most helpful Ubuntu Community at the UbuntuForums.org. Provide some general system requirements like 1 GB RAM, 10 GB Hard Disk Drive, etc. Highly customizable.

I'd really like to see the design of it so far or when you've completed it. :)
How do you install Ubuntu Fonts in Libre Office?

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
How do you install Ubuntu Fonts in Libre Office?

I don't think you do. I think you have to install it system-wide by installing it in your hidden fonts folder, .fonts. Click the "Download for free" button, and it will download a zip file. Find the zip file, it should be in your Downloads folder, and extract it (right-click on the file> Extract Here). It'll leave you with a folder of the same name, open up the folder and you'll see the various fonts, open up each font and a window will open, now look at the bottom right-hand of the window and you'll see it has a button that says "Install Font", click it, and it should be installed on your system!

Kopkins
July 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I touched on several of those points.

Here's the first draft, I didn't go back and change anything yet, I hardly proofread it. I wanted to finish the first draft by last night, unfortunately before any of you responded. However, in future drafts I'm sure I'll change a lot of the details. I didn't focus on the little details like Ubuntu orange and the fonts, but that will change in future drafts.

Thanks again guys, I'm excited about this. Here's a download (http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/45643272/file.html) for the pdf.

Recommendations on file sharing?

Kopkins

Shadius
July 14th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I touched on several of those points.

Here's the first draft, I didn't go back and change anything yet, I hardly proofread it. I wanted to finish the first draft by last night, unfortunately before any of you responded. However, in future drafts I'm sure I'll change a lot of the details. I didn't focus on the little details like Ubuntu orange and the fonts, but that will change in future drafts.

Thanks again guys, I'm excited about this. Here's a download (http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/45643272/file.html) for the pdf.

Recommendations on file sharing?

Kopkins

I like it so far! As for file sharing, maybe Minus (minus.com)?

overdrank
July 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Not a support request moved to The Community Cafe

oldfred
July 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Ubuntu has lots of marketing info:

Marketing info:
http://spreadubuntu.org/
Teaching people the basics of linux Thread with discussion
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852003

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM
First and foremost, include a copy of 12.04 LTS :p

For about the same price or less than each printed brochure, you can include a burned lightscribe disc with Ubuntu cover. :) The total cost per handout would still only be about $.50-$1.00 (depending on a few things). Pretty cheap, and the liklihood of them using it is much higher. I wouldn't put personal contact info, though. You'll get swamped for tech support. Just make these forums clearly visible in a few parts of the brochure haha

Ohh, and I don't think Microsoft Office supports Linux. I would take that off of the brochure... you might be able to get it running partially in WINE or something, but that would be confusing to newbies. And to take up the space, at the end of the first paragraph on that page add in a line about ubuntuforums.org.

irv
July 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Make a point about running Ubuntu Linux for a business, School or any origination. The cost factor and the fact that it will run on lower end hardware.
I really like the idea of the CD hand out. I did this for the first few years I used Ubuntu; 2005 to about 2008. Back then I had a computer store/repair shop. My son has the business now.

Kopkins
July 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM
First and foremost, include a copy of 12.04 LTS

Thanks for the great idea and for the info on MS office. I was under the impression that it ran well in WINE.

I like it so far! As for file sharing, maybe Minus (http://minus.com)?

Thanks for the link. I like how it looks. I'll use that next time.

I used MS Office to create the first draft, but I really would rather use an open source program. I'm having trouble getting a good looking brochure in libreoffice. It's also frustrating having to reboot into OS X to use MS Office. I prefer Ubuntu so much more. Considering inkscape as a potential program. Any recommendations for this?

Thanks guys,
Kopkins

Irihapeti
July 15th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I used MS Office to create the first draft, but I really would rather use an open source program. I'm having trouble getting a good looking brochure in libreoffice. It's also frustrating having to reboot into OS X to use MS Office. I prefer Ubuntu so much more. Considering inkscape as a potential program. Any recommendations for this?

Thanks guys,
Kopkins

There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but Scribus is an option.

Shadius
July 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM
There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but Scribus is an option.

Oh yes, Scribus! I've been reading the Full Circle Magazine about Scribus. I intend to start learning how to use it!

Nixarter
July 16th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Regarding WINE... that is a windows emulator, and not linux. I would strongly suggest that you only mention native Linux programs.

Kopkins
July 16th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Regarding WINE... that is a windows emulator, and not linux. I would strongly suggest that you only mention native Linux programs.

Technically a compatibility layer. WINE > Wine Is Not an Emulator. ;)

But yes thank you.
I'm only going to mention native linux stuff.
Kopkins

Rexilion
August 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM
No viruses

That is simply not true.

alexfish
August 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Linux is about freedome of choice

you all have a choice

In simple terms , it comes down to programming " think long and hard about this one " is about getting a cpu in control of what you as a person have a right to do, this is what "Linux" is about

Programming ,

I see so many "it don't have this" and "it cant do that"

Many of the younger generation believe in a certain culture , this is not your or their fault

The very basics of "computing" look this up in a dictionary , and a dictionary which has not been re written by nic nocs , or make believe dreamers, who re write the very basics of computing, for finacial gain.

Linux breaks this chain ,

Ubuntu ,

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1943/ubuntu-is-an-ancient-african-word-meaning-i-cant-configure-debian-why

Smile and be happy at what you have on the desk top , it is worth exploring

and perhaps think about "what did it cost", here , do not think about "cost" attached to "Think" or "Thinking" , ;)

Regards

alexfish