PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "either"?

forrestcupp
July 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM
How do you pronounce the word "either"?

thatguruguy
July 14th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Correctly.

qamelian
July 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Does it really matter? Technically, both pronunciations are correct, depending on where you are and whose dictionary you're using. :)

zer010
July 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Correctly.

Haha, funny.... kinda... not really.... meh...

I use both depending on mood and context...

offgridguy
July 14th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I agree

odiseo77
July 14th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I say ee-ther, since I'm more used to the US English. (ee-ther is US English and eye-ther is British, right?).

forrestcupp
July 14th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I say ee-ther, since I'm more used to the US English. (ee-ther is US English and eye-ther is British, right?).

I don't know. I say ee-ther, but I know quite a few people in the US who say eye-ther.

So far, ee-ther is winning. :)

cecilpierce
July 14th, 2012, 02:44 AM
My grandson pronounces it 'ee-der' :)

t0p
July 14th, 2012, 02:50 AM

No. I am a Brit and I say "ee-ther", as do most of my peer group. People I know from the "posher" level of society tend to say "eye-ther"... but that's not set in stone. Like qamelian said, depends on context (ie where you are, who you're with) and what dictionary you're using.

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Neither is correct.

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 03:03 AM
No. I am a Brit and I say "ee-ther", as do most of my peer group. People I know from the "posher" level of society tend to say "eye-ther"... but that's not set in stone. Like qamelian said, depends on context (ie where you are, who you're with) and what dictionary you're using.

Though I'm American, I concur.

"Eye-ther" sounds horridly pretentious to me. I avoid it at all costs. When I hear people say it I think "This person is stupid and trying to cover it up by feeble attempts to sound intelligent." I find intelligence and "that type" of person mutually-exclusive.

Before the flames, I feel the same way about generalizations... but I never said I was perfect. so :P

odiseo77
July 14th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Ah, I see. For some reason I thought that "eye-ther" was the standard British pronunciation. Thanks for clarifying it :)

nothingspecial
July 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I pronounce it ee-ther eye-ther or ee-ther.

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Just don't mix it up with ether if you aren't wearing a respirator or you'll wake up with a headache.

Ji Ruo
July 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I pronounce it as 'flabgabulous'.

Flagabulous that or I'm lying.

Ji Ruo
July 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Just don't mix it up with ether if you aren't wearing a respirator or you'll wake up with a headache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXGVDnPU9o

lisati
July 14th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I use both depending on mood and context...

Ditto. My memory is a bit hazy on which pronunciation predominated at home in my younger days.

I'm confident we could come up with a list of words with regional and contextual variations in pronunciation and meaning. Example: "sup" seems to be a greeting these days, abbreviated from "What's up?" but I can't help thinking of food when I hear it. :D

forrestcupp
July 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
"Eye-ther" sounds horridly pretentious to me. I avoid it at all costs. When I hear people say it I think "This person is stupid and trying to cover it up by feeble attempts to sound intelligent." I find intelligence and "that type" of person mutually-exclusive.Lol. I've known people I've felt that way about. But I've also known people who say "eye-ther" that I didn't feel like they're an idiot, too. :)

I'm confident we could come up with a list of words with regional and contextual variations in pronunciation and meaning. Example: "sup" seems to be a greeting these days, abbreviated from "What's up?" but I can't help thinking of food when I hear it. :DWhat? I just thought that when people say "sup", they're inviting me to dinner! :)

I remember in the late 80's when it started becoming popular to say "What's up?" The first time someone said it to me, I started laughing and said, "What's up, Doc?" because I thought they were quoting Bugs Bunny.

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXGVDnPU9o

LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! It is one of my favorite movies ever.

Lol. I've known people I've felt that way about. But I've also known people who say "eye-ther" that I didn't feel like they're an idiot, too. :)

I didn't say I was right, it is just what I've always thought, for whatever reason lol