PDA

View Full Version : Technology and Software Pride/Bias

phosphide
July 14th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I'm going to pose a short and simple question: why does the public (at least in America) have such strong bias/hatred towards other technology/software products or companies?

Especially from the phone front. In the end, what does it matter what product you have or what service you have?

One major company right now that is absolutely getting hammered on so many fronts, for no apparent reason more or less, is RIM. 99% of the people out there have probably never touched a recent blackberry.

On the other hand, I don't quite see the same amount of negative attention on Apple or Google for example, but I do see strong bias for fans of both of those companies going at it like there is no tomorrow and that their product deserves some kind of win. What does it accomplish? None of this kind of arguing comes from the companies either, it's from the users, which is odd because do you get into an argument about what kind of fruit you buy or gas station you go to? Never.

Quite frankly I am sick of it. (Same goes for Windows vs Linux stuff.) I wish sites would just get rid of their comment sections too.

Dngrsone
July 14th, 2012, 01:05 AM
A significant portion of this is cultural. Americans are by nature an arrogant lot, believing themselves to be superior to others in a variety of ways.

They identify themselves as winners and they have a need to associate with winning entities such as sports teams, cultural institutions and club-like organizations.

Most Americans as individuals harbor deep insecurities, which they feel a pathological need to cover up with obsessive affiliations.

Not much you can do about it, sadly. Learn to ignore, and maybe pity their small-mindedness.

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Generalize much?

:)

Frogs Hair
July 14th, 2012, 01:16 AM
why does the public (at least in America) have such strong bias/hatred towards other technology/software products or companies? Other than who or what ?

I don't hear people talking publicly about technology/software where I live unless someone gets a new phone or laptop.I have never heard heated discussions about technology/software. I have seen the comments you referred to on the internet, but never pay attention to the country of origin.

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Oh, I don't know about that, Frogs Hair.

I just stomped the stuffing out of a guy on the train because he had a Blackberry.

phosphide
July 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM
why does the public (at least in America) have such strong bias/hatred towards other technology/software products or companies? Other than who or what ?

I don't hear people talking publicly about technology/software where I live unless someone gets a new phone or laptop.I have never heard heated discussions about technology/software. I have seen the comments you referred to on the internet, but never pay attention to the country of origin.

Well I'm not concerned with country of origin at all and its not directed towards specific nationalities. The point I bring up is mainly towards product ownership or bias. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned america in my op, its just what I see on a regular basis.

phosphide
July 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Oh, I don't know about that, Frogs Hair.

I just stomped the stuffing out of a guy on the train because he had a Blackberry.

And for what reason?

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Because he had a Blackberry. What more reason did I need?

phosphide
July 14th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Because he had a Blackberry. What more reason did I need?

I guess the point of this thread isn't clear enough.

Frogs Hair
July 14th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I just stomped the stuffing out of a guy on the train because he had a Blackberry. :o:D

QIII
July 14th, 2012, 01:41 AM
The need to belong to a group, and the Motivated Social Cognition that engenders, are common among all humans. Americans think Frenchmen are effeminate and arrogant. Frenchmen believe Americans are testosterone junkies and arrogant.

Advertisers take advantage of that in all cultures to build brand loyalty and ensure sales.

This is not a new or unique phenomenon. There is a new and unique condition that forces realization of it down our throats: easy access to electronic media.

We are hard-wired for xenophobia. That's why it takes a lot of work for anyone, in any culture, to be tolerant and accepting of others.

And it's why my Android is better than your Blackberry.

Dngrsone
July 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Generalize much?

:)

Only as necessary. http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/rolleyes.gif

I don't hear people talking publicly about technology/software where I live unless someone gets a new phone or laptop.

QED (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QED)

Frogs Hair
July 14th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I think brand association is a direct result of advertising which is everywhere and unavoidable. I also think discerning consumers everywhere are aware that the company that advertises the most doesn't necessarily offer the best products or value for the momey. On the other hand, there are many consumers that don't look beyond the TV set for product information.

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogs Hair

I don't hear people talking publicly about technology/software where I live unless someone gets a new phone or laptop.
QED[/Qoute] Out of context.

rtbarker
July 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

This is a subject that has made me shake my head and sigh quite often. Did you know there's actually been research done on this phenomena of
almost Xenophobic brand loyalty?

There's a very interesting post about it at the link below.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/brand-loyalty/

Elfy
July 16th, 2012, 09:46 PM
This is a thread that should have been left to languish.

Closed for review

matt_symes
July 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
This thread is being reopen after being reviewed.

Can i please remind everyone to be aware of the CoC and to make sure this thread does not go down hill.

jockyburns
July 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I do think people develop brand loyalty. For instance looking on some of the forums I go on, I see people posting in the computer section saying Mac's are the best thing since sliced bread and telling others they never suffer from viruses/malware. I usually point them to links to other sites , showing the viruses/malware that Mac's have suffered, or ask them why Apple recommend AV/Anti Malware software.
Yep Mac owners are probably the worst people for absolute brand loyalty, and won't hear a bad word about them whatsoever.

drawkcab
July 17th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Every so often I'm tasked with teaching critical thinking to college students which has made its way into the core curriculum of several American colleges and universities in the last 15 to 20 years. Off the top of my head I can think of two relevant reasons why critical thinking skills need to be explicitly taught.

1. Millenial Americans don't read. Or, if they do read, it's nothing more taxing than Harry Potter or Twilight. Typographic media are increasingly crowded out by music, television and videogames. Hence the possession of background knowledge and the ability to reason, both of which a engendered by engaging typographic media, are in decline. Many students now come to college with an infantile understanding of their world. What is more, they lack the skills to engage in self criticism.

2. Following from 1., what students are committed wholeheartedly to is the mythology created by advertising. They have passively consumed thousands upon thousands of images, months upon months of television commercials, where the idea is to get the young person to unconsciously identify themselves with a brand. In other words, they've been told their entire lives that they are not good enough unless they are the sort of person who consumes a particular class of products.

When you live in a society in which critical thinking skills and general knowledge are in decline and no longer valued, in which the population has been rendered intellectually docile and pliable to the simplest of madison avenue's manipulations, in which people hang their self-esteem almost entirely on their capacity to consume mass-produced products, what do you really expect?

mips
July 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I think the sentiments towards RIM might be worldwide. There has been some issues with RIM where people could not use the service for long periods of time.

Financially the picture is not pretty either, they've been in decline for a number of years now. They're on a downward spiral and I don't see them recovering. Android & iPhone devices are chipping away at their market share so the consumer market will pretty much determine their fate.

Have I used a new Blackberry recently? Yes. Would I buy a Blackberry? No.

blackbird34
July 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Every so often I'm tasked with teaching critical thinking to college students which has made its way into the core curriculum of several American colleges and universities in the last 15 to 20 years. Off the top of my head I can think of two relevant reasons why critical thinking skills need to be explicitly taught.

1. Millenial Americans don't read. Or, if they do read, it's nothing more taxing than Harry Potter or Twilight. Typographic media are increasingly crowded out by music, television and videogames. Hence the possession of background knowledge and the ability to reason, both of which a engendered by engaging typographic media, are in decline. Many students now come to college with an infantile understanding of their world. What is more, they lack the skills to engage in self criticism.

2. Following from 1., what students are committed wholeheartedly to is the mythology created by advertising. They have passively consumed thousands upon thousands of images, months upon months of television commercials, where the idea is to get the young person to unconsciously identify themselves with a brand. In other words, they've been told their entire lives that they are not good enough unless they are the sort of person who consumes a particular class of products.

When you live in a society in which critical thinking skills and general knowledge are in decline and no longer valued, in which the population has been rendered intellectually docile and pliable to the simplest of madison avenue's manipulations, in which people hang their self-esteem almost entirely on their capacity to consume mass-produced products, what do you really expect?

This.
The wonders of a life with no television. ANYWHERE.
And toss in NoScript and a few ad blockers.