PDA

View Full Version : [pool] Could, Valve or Android gaming?

alexan
July 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
If you had to take a choice, for Ubuntu Gaming, which scenario would you prefer.

1. Valve finally releasing their Steam portal (no pun intended :lolflag: ) for linux and, hopefully, catching big name of video gaming industry in linux.
2. Full set of dependencies to run apk (Davalik's virtual machine) in native mode on top of linux (3) kernel (for games and stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBl-goBrWno) )
3. Onlive's linux support

Let's pool!

tjeremiah
July 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Steam for sure.

doorknob60
July 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Steam. I don't need Android games, I have a smartphone for that, and I don't want onlive, that eats up bandwidth and would destroy my 150 GB cap. And I don't really like the idea of not running the games on your own computer, just doesn't feel right to me.

Paqman
July 14th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Onlive would give access to a ton more games than Steam, which is essentially just a storefront. Even if we got Steam and Source ported over to Linux, most games in Steam would still be off limits to us. Get Onlive working really well and it opens up their entire library.

Ubun2to
July 14th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I say Steam.
Portal under Wine is terrible for the XBox controller support on the camera analog sticks.
Plus, running it under PlayOnLinux provides NO controller support at all.

Nixarter
July 14th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Uhh... None of the above. I dislike all of those options.

Just games running with open-GL. There is no need to muddy it up with middle-men.

Dlambert
July 14th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Steam FoSo.

morgan141
July 14th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Onlive would give access to a ton more games than Steam, which is essentially just a storefront. Even if we got Steam and Source ported over to Linux, most games in Steam would still be off limits to us. Get Onlive working really well and it opens up their entire library.

When steam was ported to OSX a lot of games developers ported their games too. Anything running directx is a write off, clearly, but it is definitely a start.

Onlive from what I've heard does not even slightly compare with running the game natively.

EnteRCup
July 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Steam for linux could be freaking awesome :D

Paqman
July 14th, 2012, 09:47 PM
When steam was ported to OSX a lot of games developers ported their games too.

Mac has at least five times the number of users, and they're folks with good disposable incomes. I wouldn't be surprised if developers were a lot more cautious with Linux.

Onlive from what I've heard does not even slightly compare with running the game natively.

I've tried it, it works surprisingly well.