PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new machine with money saved from not smoking!!

ade234uk
June 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
I thought I would finally spend some of the cash I saved from not smoking. This is what I bought.

1 x NOV-DVD16B Black 16x Internal DVD ROM Drive 512KB 48x CD

1 x SAP-X16XT Sapphire ATI Raedon X1600XT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI TVO

1 x BB-A37615B Novatech Barebones Bundle Athlon 64 3700, Heatsink and Fan, 512MB 400DDR RAM, 939 Soc Motherboard

1 x RAM-40/1G 400MHz 184Pin 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec

1 x MAX-P80 Maxtor IDE DiamondMax Plus9 PATA 80Gb 2Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive <9.0ms 7200rpm - OEM

1 x NEC-ND457B NEC ND4570 16x DVD+/-RW/RAM Double Layer Black OEM

Ubuntuud
June 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Congrats, with your non smoking and your new system. (Whaaaat! You bought an ati card?!)

Sgood1971
June 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Congrats on ditching the smokes. How long has it been? July will make me 5 years and I still haven't bought myself anything.

rado_london
June 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I smoke mate! That is why I still stay with my old HP laptop. By old I mean 8 months. The next step is Macbook but I wont give up- I will find a job. but hey broth this is very good. I cant give up because I dont have the mental control to do it and I respect you for your strenght.

therunnyman
June 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Congratulations! I've been trying to quit for, I dunno, like 10 years. It's the lamest habit in the world, no joy at all in it. Yet, here I am, corporate weenie in my mouth, suckin' away. (I'm actually smoking a pipe now; cut 5 smokes out of my diet).

But I gotta ask, as did the previous poster, why an ATI card? There's no embargo or anything, of course, but I fear for your hair: you may end pulling every last strand out.

Beauty machine, either way. And good on you for casting the demon twist out of your soul. (how'd you end up quitting anyway? always looking for tips.)

runny

ade234uk
June 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
This time last year I was suffering from real bad thrush, and I mean it was bad. I was in complete agony. It was not because of any partners but because I just unfortunately suffer from a yeast infection so need to stay away from bread as much as possible and other yeast related foods.

Anyway the thrush kept continuing and I was starting to get more depressed and I started to think to myself the smoking can't be helping it, so on the last day of the tour de france last year and the last day of Lance Armstrongs career I decided to quit and here I am today one year.

Its been a whole year now. Do I miss it, yes sometimes I do but then I think to myself I dont want to kill myself.

I was smoking about 35 - 40 roll ups a day and it was effecting my breathing and this is not good when your only 30.

I just had that motivation to quit and just did it with the help in inhaltors as well. About 4 month ago I finally binned the inhalator.

Sye d'Burns
June 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've been gearing up to quit smoking for the last couple of weeks. This is after a botched attempt that lasted about 15 hours. In that attempt my wife ended up buying a pack just so that she could put up with me. I was meeeeeaaan, I just couldn't help it.

This time we're sending the children to their grandparents for a few days. That should take away about 93% of the stresses.

therunnyman
June 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Ow!

I'm hearing the therapies they've developed are very effective - the inhalers, patches, and so on - especially when coupled with certain pills (anti-depressants in the dopamine class and a couple new sleeping pills, of all things).

Like you, my brother quit, but craves. And we're talking five years quit. He'll trade his house for a guilt-free brandy and cigarette.

runny

Quake
June 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
Congratulations for quitting smoking.

But, I'm wondering... why did you choose an Ati Card? If you want to use Linux, I'd recommend you an an Nvidia Card because Ati's Linux support isn't good right now.

ade234uk
June 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
I will swap the card when it gets here.

OffHand
June 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
I just bought a new one with money saved from working... I still smoke though ;)

J/K.... have fun with your new machine. I know I will.

Sgood1971
June 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Ow!

I'm hearing the therapies they've developed are very effective - the inhalers, patches, and so on - especially when coupled with certain pills (anti-depressants in the dopamine class and a couple new sleeping pills, of all things).

That's exactly how I quit wellbutrin and the patch combined. It's been almost 5 years and I don't crave them. Sometimes when someone lights one around me, they do smell good though but most times they stink.

uberlinux
June 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I don't usually talk about how I quit, cause I remember how much I hated hearing it when I smoked but this is how I did it.
I smoked for 8 years, and started at a very young age, which I hear makes it harder. I tried more times than I could count.
Phase 1: Moved to American Spirit brand, as they have only tobacco. Marlboro has several hundred patents on chemical compounds referred to as 'helper compounds', these are to supposedly help preserve flavor etc, but I think thats a lie, as my cravings were nearly cut by a third once I made the switch.
Phase 2: Switched to lights.
Phase 3: Quit drinking. This one is very important.
Phase 4: Went to ultralights and started to ration a bit. FACT: The longer you can hold out when you wake up for your first, the less you will consume throughout the day.
Phase 5: Used the commit losenge and fought hard not to cheat even once.

Other tips: Think about how the 'man's got his hand in yo pocket. You'll get pissed and want to quit. Think about tumors. Take note of ugly old smokers, especially if you are a girl and you smoke. Think about how studies show that smokers make an average of 25% less than nonsmokers. Think about how studies show that the earlier you start, the exponentially more at risk of cancer you are, because you are messing with cell development at an important stage of growth.

This is what saved my life. Been 3 years now.

richbarna
June 28th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I could stop smoking............
but I was brought up not to be a quitter :)
And if I did stop, I would buy another nVidia card not ati.

tminton
June 28th, 2006, 04:10 AM
After smoking for over 30 years, I finally quit back in February! :-D
Used Commit lozenges.

Now if I can just quit using the lozenges... ;)

uberlinux
June 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM
After smoking for over 30 years, I finally quit back in February! :-D
Used Commit lozenges.

Now if I can just quit using the lozenges... ;)
that's so funny, the month I quit was February and I used commit.

DirtDawg
June 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I love this thread!
I just quit about 6 weeks ago. I'm still on the patch (down to 7 mg). I will never smoke again for the simple reason that I never, ever want to go through the first two weeks of withdrawl ever, ever, never again.
Terrible.

Here's what I turned into my editor (http://www.weeklyhilarity.com/images/comics/nosmoke.png) (she ran it, too!).

jeremy
June 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
That's nothing, I'm about to spend the money I saved by giving up smoking on a divorce!

Ubuntuud
July 3rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Ow!

runny

Sleeping pills... So you don't wake up to smoke, should be very effective. :)