PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the terminal for everything?

immortalrites
July 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I do, I run everything with terminal, do you do this too, or do you just click the icons?

nothingspecial
July 13th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

I don't use it to run something that has an icon to click, I use it for stuff that doesn't.

pbpersson
July 13th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I am an official icon clicker. :cool:

catlover2
July 13th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Do I? No. Could I? Mostly. The three things which don't, as far as I know, have a viable command-line alternative that immediately come to mind are photo, audio, and video editing.

click4851
July 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM
everything?..no

some stuff?....yes

wyliecoyoteuk
July 13th, 2012, 07:43 AM
On my servers? yes
On my other devices? Not unless I need to, which is pretty rare,these days.

hypnot0ad
July 13th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I try to
just to help me learn. Sure I can click on something. But that is not fun.

immortalrites
July 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I try to
just to help me learn. Sure I can click on something. But that is not fun.

I also use it for fun as well, opening a terminal and typing in firefox and hitting enter is just funner than clicking an icon to me, plus I like hiding all my icons so my desktop is blank.

hakermania
July 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I use it a lot, but not for everything. 'Links' is good but I prefer Chromium, watching video can also been done using the terminal but I prefer Vlc etc...

Some things are harder and uglier to be done through a terminal but some other things are awesome. I always use the terminal to access folders outside /home, to run scripts etc.

Lucradia
July 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I use it for troubleshooting, logs, etc. Not for programs like browsers.

Version Dependency
July 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I use the command line for alot of tasks. In Unity, I'm using my keyboard for most things anyway....hitting SUPER and typing to launch programs, hitting ALT and typing to use the HUD menus, hitting ALT+F2 and typing to run commands. If it's not easily done via the launcher or an indicator on the top panel, I'm using just typing something.

hypnot0ad
July 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I like hiding all my icons so my desktop is blank.
I do this as well. I'm able to stay more organized and it just looks cleaner.

I don't really care for the HUD. Don't get me wrong about it though.