PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Linux Books

Shadius
July 13th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hey everybody! :)

I was searching for books to read so I could learn more about Ubuntu and Linux. From the Ubuntu Software Center, I came across a book called, "The Official Ubuntu Book, Sixth Edition" and so I wondered if this was the newest edition so I did some research and found that there's a Seventh Edition on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-The-Edition/dp/0133017605/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342144081&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Official+Ubuntu+Book). How come this book isn't offered in the Ubuntu Software Center and is this a good book to learn about Ubuntu?

If you guys have any suggestions, please feel free to do so!

papibe
July 13th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hi Shadius.

Here one book that I find useful: The Debian Administrator’s Handbook (http://debian-handbook.info/2012/the-debian-administrators-handbook-is-available/).

Although it's not particularly written for Ubuntu, the core concepts are almost the same. Also, it is free to download on both PDF and ebook format.

Regards.

Shadius
July 13th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hi Shadius.

Here one book that I find useful: The Debian Administrator’s Handbook (http://debian-handbook.info/2012/the-debian-administrators-handbook-is-available/).

Although it's not particularly written for Ubuntu, the core concepts are almost the same. Also, it is free to download on both PDF and ebook format.

Regards.

Thanks papibe. Do you know anything about the book I mentioned? If it's a good book to use and so on?

cariboo
July 13th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Our own matthew (former admin, and staff member), is the author of the Official Ubuntu Book. Several of the forum staff contributed to the sixth edition. The seventh edition is an incremental update of the sixth.

If all you intend to do, is use Ubuntu, it's great book.

I'd suggest you have a look at tldp.org, there is quite a bit of documentation available there, although it is geared towards Linux in general rather than being Ubuntu specifi.

UltimateCat
July 13th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hey everybody! :)

I was searching for books to read so I could learn more about Ubuntu and Linux. From the Ubuntu Software Center, I came across a book called, "The Official Ubuntu Book, Sixth Edition" and so I wondered if this was the newest edition so I did some research and found that there's a Seventh Edition on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-The-Edition/dp/0133017605/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342144081&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Official+Ubuntu+Book). How come this book isn't offered in the Ubuntu Software Center and is this a good book to learn about Ubuntu?

If you guys have any suggestions, please feel free to do so!

That's a good book. I've borrowed it in the past from my local library.

Another good book is:
The " Ubuntu Linux Bible "

DingusFett
July 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM
It depends on how technical you want to get really. Personally have just started reading through the guide to the LPIC-1 exam, and it has already taught me a few things.

sffvba[e0rt
July 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
It depends on how technical you want to get really. Personally have just started reading through the guide to the LPIC-1 exam, and it has already taught me a few things.

Free LPIC study guide here - http://www.linuxcertification.co.za/lpi-study-manual

DingusFett
July 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the link, downloading it now

Shadius
July 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Thank you everybody. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Shadius
July 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Our own matthew (former admin, and staff member), is the author of the Official Ubuntu Book. Several of the forum staff contributed to the sixth edition. The seventh edition is an incremental update of the sixth.

If all you intend to do, is use Ubuntu, it's great book.

I'd suggest you have a look at tldp.org, there is quite a bit of documentation available there, although it is geared towards Linux in general rather than being Ubuntu specifi.

Any reason why the Seventh Edition isn't offered in the Ubuntu Software Center? I'd rather support it from Ubuntu than buying it from Amazon.

matthew
July 19th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Any reason why the Seventh Edition isn't offered in the Ubuntu Software Center? I'd rather support it from Ubuntu than buying it from Amazon.

Coauthor here. It takes time for contract details to be worked out. Amazon listings are no longer a special case and publishers (like Prentice-Hall, who publishes this book) have standing agreements with Amazon and other retailers to automatically list anything that is published by the company. Individual retailers do not generally have these arrangements. Such is the case with the Ubuntu Software Center. At least this is my best guess.

I hope the 7th edition will appear in the Ubuntu Software Center soon, but I have not yet been given a time frame. Canonical owns the copyright on The Official Ubuntu Book, so I would think the contract should be worked out quickly and easily, but there must be details to which I am not privy.

pe7er
July 19th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I am currently reading "Ubuntu Linux Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users", which I find the best Linux book so far to learn the command line interface...

Shadius
July 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Coauthor here. It takes time for contract details to be worked out. Amazon listings are no longer a special case and publishers (like Prentice-Hall, who publishes this book) have standing agreements with Amazon and other retailers to automatically list anything that is published by the company. Individual retailers do not generally have these arrangements. Such is the case with the Ubuntu Software Center. At least this is my best guess.

I hope the 7th edition will appear in the Ubuntu Software Center soon, but I have not yet been given a time frame. Canonical owns the copyright on The Official Ubuntu Book, so I would think the contract should be worked out quickly and easily, but there must be details to which I am not privy.

Oh okay, I understand. Well, I've purchased the book from Amazon and have begun reading it. This is a very good book! Nice pictures to follow along with the text. Hopefully, I'll become a power user in no time with the help of this book! Great work!!

Shadius
July 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I am currently reading "Ubuntu Linux Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users", which I find the best Linux book so far to learn the command line interface...

Thanks, I'll check this out.

matthew
July 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Oh okay, I understand. Well, I've purchased the book from Amazon and have begun reading it. This is a very good book! Nice pictures to follow along with the text. Hopefully, I'll become a power user in no time with the help of this book! Great work!!

Thanks for the kind words and have fun learning!

cbennett926
July 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words and have fun learning!

Oh! Yeah, I meant to say I love and recommend this book all the time! Nice work and keep up with the writing!!

spynappels
July 19th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Any of the Apress Ubuntu and general Linux books, especially those written by Sander van Vught, are also very good, certainly helped firm up a lot of stuff for me.

t0p
July 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Never been much of a computer book guy. There are so many sites out there about Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular, and so many of them are constantly updated so you don't have to worry about having the "wrong edition". tldp.org (http://tldp.org) is a personal fave, it's got something for everyone! For Ubuntu stuff in particular, there's a bunch of sites, and if you really want a bookish experience there are the thousands of free pdfs online. Google is your friend on this, as is usual.

madjr
July 20th, 2012, 02:34 AM
this one might be interesting , ubuntu made easy:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/ubuntu-made-easy-guide-40-off-for-limited-time-only

tripz0r
July 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Does any one of you guys has book from Prantice Hall Marketing: An Introduction (10th Edition) (http://www.505accountingbooks.com/marketing-an-introduction-10th-edition/) but for free? :) thanks