PDA

View Full Version : Developing game (currently SDL) - looking to start a development team!

compiz addict
July 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hello programmers and forum dwellers!

EDIT: Note: also look at my second post. All the important information.

I'm developing a 2D arena-style shooting game called the Stick(figure)Engine (not sure if I'm going to stick with that name, or if it's been used before; let's call it the codename for now)

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293214_385791571474653_805662410_n.jpg

It will be cross-platform with networking capabilities, and features stick figures and bland rectangular platforms (the best! :D). I'm going to add many different weapons, powerups, etc. A similar game, and part of my inspiration for building this, is a Windows game called Stick Soldiers.

So, here's what I need help with:

Efficiency of networking. I have some basic networking functionality, but there might be a better way of doing it, and it could definitely run a bit smoother.
Performance. I'm sure there's a lot I can do to be more memory and CPU efficient.
Some logical and mathematical problems. I would like to add things like grappling hooks, parachutes, cannons, etc. In order to do everything I want to do, I need someone to help me redesign some things in order to make a very dynamic system for loading custom-made weapons, powerups and sprites.

If anyone wants to join what will become the development team, (make a Skype account and) add me on Skype: zatacorothx
EDIT: Or respond to this thread!!

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureEngine

Lets make the next Minecraft! (Hey, it could happen! Like anything else, it just depends on how much support this project gets.)

compiz addict
July 12th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Additional info:

Programmed in C++
Starting over might be an option
Currently some continuous memory allocation problems...
Source code will be public (exactly how "open-source" it will be will be determined later, probably by vote of the development team..)
EDIT: It'll be completely open-source

EDIT: After some thinking, I concluded that we'll start from scratch (mostly). it makes no sense to start a development team for a messy partially complete game. Here's what I'll do: I'll give anybody who joins the team a copy of the game so far, and we're going to start developing the new code, using the old code as a reference. All of this, however, with much communication as to how things are being done, and after some collaborative planning as to how everything will be structured in the new code (when things will be loaded, new format for maps and config files (anybody already have some bullet-proof code for config files?), if stick figures will remain a global array of objects, etc).