PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password changed by upgrade

customearl
July 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I installed Ubuntu on a Dell Optiplex GS.
I used wubi to install Ubuntu.
I then proceeded to update, and after update the administrator password was changed after reboot.
The original password was 8 letter password and now the password is a 5 letter password.
I found this out by going user accounts.
My experience is medium level with windows, and beginner in Ubuntu.
HELP!
Thank you.

coffeecat
July 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Upgrades do not change your password.

The original password was 8 letter password and now the password is a 5 letter password.
I found this out by going user accounts.

User accounts simply shows five dots as a symbolic representation of a hidden password. There is nothing implied about the length of the password. My password is 12 characters long but I see the five dots as well. Are you still able to log into your account with your 8 character password?

cynicalcylon
April 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
My password seems to have changed after an upgrade too.
My old one won't let me do any admin-y stuff now & all I've done recently was a few upgrades.
Any way I can find out what the new/current password is?

kostkon
April 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM
My password seems to have changed after an upgrade too.
My old one won't let me do any admin-y stuff now & all I've done recently was a few upgrades.
Any way I can find out what the new/current password is?
You can reset your password by following these instructions (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword).

Hope that helps.

cynicalcylon
April 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM
It didn't, until I found elsewhere that it should be mount -o remount,rw /
You put mount -o rw,remount / which didn't work for me - may have been my system, so might be worth putting it as an option too...

A fab little walkthrough though. Ta :)

bcbc
April 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM
There used to be an option on the recovery menu to remount drives as read-write. I don't know why they took it away because mount -o rw,remount / is hardly intuitive.

If I start getting weird behaviour on login after an update (especially with Wubi) I go defensive. Run chkdsk /f on windows partition (for wubi partition), then fsck the root.disk. Never heard of passwords changing... seems unlikely. More likely some corruption (but that's all speculation).