PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ambiguous package name 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0'. apt-get fails to upgrade

amermc
July 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I have kernel 3.2.0-2-amd64, "apt-get -f install" failed .. I have issues with ia32-libs dependencies like : ia32-libs-multiarch (no candidates). Cannot install anything ...
apt-get fails to upgrade with the following message :
"ambiguous package name 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0' ...more than one one installed instance"
Any help ??

Thanks

drs305
July 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I have two packages with that name. Perhaps if you tried installing them directly. I don't know if the error will prevent installation of these packages individually but it would probably clear the error if it does.

sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common

amermc
July 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks dr. ...I have tried what you suggested ...not working... it gives this output :
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0'

drs305
July 12th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I am not sure why it's not finding it. The packages are located in the precise main repository. Can you run "sudo apt-get update"?

That repository should be enabled, but you can quickly check with:

sudo grep "main" /etc/apt/sources.list
There should be no # symbol at the start of the line.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise multiverse restricted main universe

amermc
July 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks you Drs .. I have updated the sources.list file and did apt-get update (was ok), but output is same as above when trying to install pixbuf2 libraries.

I have tried also : apt-get remove --purge libgdk-pixbuf2.* (which gives the following):
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-doc' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8-dbg' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Note, selecting 'libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby' for regex 'libgdk-pixbuf2.*'
Package libgdk-pixbuf2.0-doc is not installed, so not removed
Package libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby is not installed, so not removed
Package libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8 is not installed, so not removed
Package libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8-dbg is not installed, so not removed
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
activity-log-manager-control-center : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
aisleriot : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
-session-fallback but it is not going to be installed
gnome-system-tools : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libgweather-3-0 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libgwibber-gtk2 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libindicate-gtk3 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libindicator3-7 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libindicator7 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libmetacity-private0 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libnotify4 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libnux-2.0-0 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
libpeas-1.0-0 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-systemload-plugin : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-taskmanager : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.21.6) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-terminal : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-verve-plugin : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-weather-plugin : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfce4-xkb-plugin : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfdesktop4 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xfwm4 : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xscreensaver-data : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xscreensaver-data-extra : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xscreensaver-gl : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
xscreensaver-gl-extra : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
zenity : Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

>>>>> I keep getting this noisy message :
dpkg-query: error: file triggers record mentions illegal package name `libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0'

amermc
July 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM
SOLVED : I got it .. I have edited the following file :
sudo nano /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File

It has had several packages in it with i386 tag .. I have changed them to am64. That made some duplicate entries ....which I have deleted. It worked for me.

I have found this information in this link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2006840
Replace the following lines:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules libglib2.0-0
/usr/lib/gio/modules libglib2.0-0
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas libglib2.0-0

With this:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules libglib2.0-0:amd64
/usr/lib/gio/modules libglib2.0-0:amd64
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas libglib2.0-0:amd64

Then run:

sudo dpkg --configure -aThe problem was caused by some package installed in both versions i386 and am64 (32-bit and 64-bit). I have had to keep only the 64-bit versions.
Now apt-get behaves well as usual.

Thank you drs305 for your fast replies. ;)

drs305
July 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the solution. :-)

That's a new one for me.

If you don't have any other issues, would you please mark the thread SOLVED via the 'Thread Tools' link to the top right of the first post. It will help others who might have the same problem pinpoint the solution.

Happy Ubuntu-ing !

amermc
July 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for sharing the solution. :-)

That's a new one for me.

If you don't have any other issues, would you please mark the thread SOLVED via the 'Thread Tools' link to the top right of the first post. It will help others who might have the same problem pinpoint the solution.

Happy Ubuntu-ing !
Thank you too. :)