PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mic partially works on netbook w 12.04

jeppex
July 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Hi

So Im helping out my girlfriend getting rid of Windows XP on her Netbook. She needs it for travelling so the basics has to work.

The one thing I can't seem to fix is to get the mic properly working. When Im using Sound Recorder I can hear that the Mic is working in some sense. I can record sound at least.
However it doesnt in Skype or Google Chat. In empathy I can hear my voice echoing alongside the one I am talking to, but the one I am talking to cannot hear anything, ie. the mic works but it is not being transmitted?

The Netbook is an emachine em250 series. I installed Ubuntu from Windows using the wubi feature.

Any ideas as to what the problem, and hopefully solution, to this might be?

All the best
Jeppe

jmfal
July 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu

Open alsamixer in a terminal

alsamixer

Press F5 All

navigate to "mic" and unmute by pressing "M" or "m" and increase control by using up/down arrows on keyboard.

I don't use skype or chat, so there may be more to configure than that.

jeppex
July 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that! However I didnt work. I guess the Auto-Mute should be disabled as well?

So, there is no sound at all in Empathy from the microphone. Still I can record from the mic in Sound Recorder.

I really don't know what to make of this and I would hate to turn this Netbook back accompanied by a "sorry, Windows seems to support it the best".

Any other ideas?

jmfal
July 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Take a look at this , sorry I couldn't help

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Precise_Internet

jeppex
July 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I will. Thanks for your help :)

tooplanx
January 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hiya,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my emachines e250 netbook. I'm using Zorin OS 6 (based on ubuntu 12.04) which is awesome, but this problem is the first make or break issue I've come across.

I tried everything on here and looked at that link but couldn't see anything that seemed to refer to this problem.

Anyone managed to solve this yet?