PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Xbox, PlayStation and Wii say hello to Ouya

nec207
July 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Forget the Xbox, PlayStation and Wii say hello to Ouya http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/meet-ouya-99-game-machine-everyone-talking-about-876224

Looks interesting. Do out next year.

I hope they do really well and with their business model you going see way more games than what you going get on Xbox, PlayStation and Wii .

HappinessNow
July 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM
edit

SirWhy
July 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I want to support it, it looks awesome. It sounds too good to be true however. I just can't justify paying 99 euro ($99 + shipping) for something which is an android tablet on a TV, albeit probably more powerful and focused and with a rocking design. Sure it will have other games too but still. Also if they're full fledged games that need to be downloaded (or streamed:cry:) then it won't really work with my terrible internet (Yay infrastructure).

I appreciate what it's doing though

nec207
July 11th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I want to support it, it looks awesome. It sounds too good to be true however. I just can't justify paying 99 euro ($99 + shipping) for something which is an android tablet on a TV, albeit probably more powerful and focused and with a rocking design. Sure it will have other games too but still. Also if they're full fledged games that need to be downloaded (or streamed:cry:) then it won't really work with my terrible internet (Yay infrastructure).

I appreciate what it's doing though

Sure this thing is not that powerful with todays graphics but should have no problem with graphics before 2006 . And 3D graphics is not all be in all with graphics you know than good old games like Zelda , final fantasy ,Illusion of Gaia in 90's so on for teens and young adults :P:P:P the game developers are all worked up on first person shooter games now and high in 3D graphics:(:( .

t0p
July 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Very interesting. Very nice-sounding too. But is it gonna be too good to be true?

SirWhy
July 12th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Sure this thing is not that powerful with todays graphics but should have no problem with graphics before 2006 . And 3D graphics is not all be in all with graphics you know than good old games like Zelda , final fantasy ,Illusion of Gaia in 90's so on for teens and young adults :P:P:P the game developers are all worked up on first person shooter games now and high in 3D graphics:(:( .

Sure Graphics aren't everything but still, to me it just seems like a tablet built like a console. I want to support it, but I don't have the money to be an early adopter only for it to fail

DingusFett
July 12th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I agree completely that graphics aren't the be all and end all, but to the average person looking to buy a new console they will look at the titles available on the different platforms and likely choose the one that provides state of the art graphics over the one that gives the same graphics as their phone.

SirWhy
July 12th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I also have the problem that it seems to be all concept now. I can't find a video of the system that doesn't look like it's trying to sell me something (which is the purpose really but you know)

Ubun2to
July 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Good idea, but the hard drive and graphics specs will most likely turn off a bunch of developers. I mean, Portal takes around 5 GB, so that's about 62.5% of your space taken up by that game alone if Valve decides to publish on this platform.

nec207
July 12th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I agree completely that graphics aren't the be all and end all, but to the average person looking to buy a new console they will look at the titles available on the different platforms and likely choose the one that provides state of the art graphics over the one that gives the same graphics as their phone.

If they made the graphics to look 3D like the late 90's to 2005 it look very bad.

This would look horrible ..

Late 90's games like SimCopter.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2679/4271488646_7244f407c8_o.jpg

That is why they have to use 2D and with 2D it can be really nice a lot nicer than the 90's

Paqman
July 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Good luck to them. Like all consoles it'll be judged on the quality of the games it manages to get to sign on, so it's a little early to pass judgement on its merits.

Whovian
July 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Its best selling point would be its price of 99 dollars also being hacker friendly. Other than that I really wouldn't buy a 99 dollar item when I can get a raspberry pi between 25/35 dollars and be just as happy. (that is just my take on it).

Paqman
July 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I really wouldn't buy a 99 dollar item when I can get a raspberry pi between 25/35 dollars and be just as happy. (that is just my take on it).

Er, you can't play games on a Pi.

Edit: ok, maybe solitaire.

Dlambert
July 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Don't know if already mentioned. But MineCraft is NOT launching with the OUYA ATM.

forrestcupp
July 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Can it play the latest Zelda game? That's why I'm going to buy a Wii U; because I like the games that will be available for it.

As for Ouya, I could pay less money for an original Xbox and have about as powerful of a system as this. I don't think there's any way this is going to take off. Everyone is mad and criticizing the Wii U because of their speculations of its specs, and the Ouya is like a calculator compared to the Wii U.

tjeremiah
July 13th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Can it play the latest Zelda game? That's why I'm going to buy a Wii U; because I like the games that will be available for it.

As for Ouya, I could pay less money for an original Xbox and have about as powerful of a system as this. I don't think there's any way this is going to take off. Everyone is mad and criticizing the Wii U because of their speculations of its specs, and the Ouya is like a calculator compared to the Wii U.

I was thinking the same thing. As for others who say this is a threat to the big guys, I dont think it is. I will if Ouya is able to play GTA5 in all of its glory, but if not, I dont think MS/Sony/Nintendo have to worry much.

llua+
July 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Can't help but think "The Phantom v2".

jonathonblake
July 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Looks interesting. Do out next year.

March 2013 launch date.

Specs are:

Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor;
1GB of RAM;
8GB of internal flash storage;

Those are not the specs of a decent gaming rig.

If they can get a couple of game development powerhouses on board, and release version 2, which does have the specs of a decent gaming rig in October 2013, it might have a chance.

Something else I didn't see. The ability to add "toys" to the console: dance mats, airplane wheels, ship rudders, kinect, etc. All the things that make up a virtual immersion experience. Provide the ports so that one can duplicate the Holodeck on Star Trek.

jonathon

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
March 2013 launch date.

Specs are:

Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor;
1GB of RAM;
8GB of internal flash storage;

Those are not the specs of a decent gaming rig.

Right. It probably would have done well in 2004 or earlier. With the exception of having a lot more RAM, the rest of the specs aren't that much higher than the original Xbox.

mr john
July 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I have no problem playing 1990's games.... IMO there was more originality in those days. Now if I go into a game shop all I will see is shooter clones that all look the same. Too many mainstream games are the same.

xedi
July 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Now if I go into a game shop all I will see is shooter clones that all look the same. Too many mainstream games are the same.

I can understand why people get the impression but there are so many original modern mainstream titles (Portal, Heavy Rain, Journey, L.A. Noire) that I find it a too vast generalization to say that modern games are only unoriginal shooter clones.

That said and going back to topic, as much as I love free and open software, I also love big expensive triple AAA games and good graphics and this is not something I will find on ouya. I think it is great project and I wish it success but it is not for me.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I can understand why people get the impression but there are so many original modern mainstream titles (Portal, Heavy Rain, Journey, L.A. Noire) that I find it a too vast generalization to say that modern games are only unoriginal shooter clones.

That's a good point. Now, they put out a lot more games than they did in the 90's. It's easy to see the hundreds of FPS games and miss the hundreds of other original games. Also, in the 90's, that's when they just started pioneering the FPS. So of course there were going to be a lot of other styles of games that were already going strong at the time.

Ubun2to
July 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
That's a good point. Now, they put out a lot more games than they did in the 90's. It's easy to see the hundreds of FPS games and miss the hundreds of other original games. Also, in the 90's, that's when they just started pioneering the FPS. So of course there were going to be a lot of other styles of games that were already going strong at the time.

I remember gaming in the 90s-Transportation Tycoon, RollerCoaster Tycoon, SimCity 2000...good times, good times. That was my style of gaming. Now, the big titles you see on commercials are all FPSs. The most original games I've seen this recently besides Portal are Minecraft and the Fancy Pants Adventures (which started out as a flash game, might I add-the series has continued to get better and better). I'm more of a Portal person-I like to mess with my mind and overcome weird obstacles.

forrestcupp
July 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I remember gaming in the 90s-Transportation Tycoon, RollerCoaster Tycoon, SimCity 2000...good times, good times. That was my style of gaming. Now, the big titles you see on commercials are all FPSs. The most original games I've seen this recently besides Portal are Minecraft and the Fancy Pants Adventures (which started out as a flash game, might I add-the series has continued to get better and better). I'm more of a Portal person-I like to mess with my mind and overcome weird obstacles.

Well, ironically, it's actually going back the other way now. If you consider the fact that a lot of people are playing their games on phones and tablets now, it seems like there's a huge market for the retro style of gaming.

Nixarter
July 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have no problem playing 1990's games.... IMO there was more originality in those days. Now if I go into a game shop all I will see is shooter clones that all look the same. Too many mainstream games are the same.

I agree. There are original titles... but most of them tend to be too similar/trendy.

Some good examples: Max Payne 3, the Turok remake, the Goldeneye 007 remake. All of them lost their originality and are just basic shooters now :( Max Payne still has the time slow, at least... but nothing else of what made the Max Payne series special. Too many big companies are controlling them is the problem. they say... hey, look at that popular game. Make the brands (game titles) that we own look like that. It's like that new saying that is popular... until that annoying kid starts overusing it and kills it. But these companies just don't get how annoying that they are being lol

Dead island is another example. Fun game... but it is basically a clone of Borderlands... including all the annoying parts. The only originality it added was zombies instead of split-faced-crawling-rat-things. It wasn't cell shaded, but it could have used better graphics.

To be fair, there are still great games like the Elder Scrolls series (which still hold very close to their roots), Portal, and a few others. Most of the interesting stuff seems to be independent. Unfortunately it is hard to get into gaming, especially with consoles. What if there was a way to make gaming better, by, among other things, letting the original independent developers into our homes...

ohh wait, Ouya!

Some may not like it, but I welcome it. Something like this is desperately needed. All these people need is a start... and then great things can happen. Hopefully Blizzard and other monopoly-wanna-be's don't go trying to buy them all up.

purgatori
July 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I'll give props to anyone who is brave enough to enter the horrific console market these days, but as the Wii demonstrated, you're going to struggle attaining 3rd party support if your system isn't powerful enough to run current-gen multiplatform titles.

leilei
July 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM
You can thank JoWooD (nowadays Nordic Games) for turning the tycoon genre into a shovelware frenzy in 2002.

FPSes sell big because of a sense of stimulated masculinity. It "feels good" to use killstreaks on a bunch of kids on Xbox Live. The FPSes that don't sell big don't do that, pushing "smart" games into the corner of cult.

As for the Ouya... skeptical.

nec207
July 17th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Here is what I think happan .

Back in 90's mostly early to mid 90's most games where JRPG and was big on story and quest base and games like Alundra ,LandStalker ,Illusion of Gaia ,Zelda ,Final Fantasy ,Crono Trigger and other games like this and so on.

What changed in late 90's and early 2000's is more westerners RPG games and in late 90's 3D graphics with nintendo 64 paving the way that would allow for car racing games and first person shooter games.

Also RPG tend to be more action base and less story like and where JRPG is more quest base / action-adventure/and exploring and story like.

Not to say westerners seem to be more into first person shooter games , car racing , military games , scfi games , medieval type games than fantasy type games in the 90's talked about here. Also note games are being more like movies now like LA Noire, Max Payne ,Red Dead Redemption ,Resident evil ,Tom rider,Star Wars so on.

And last thing westerners RPG want games to look real that means realistic looking 3D not cartoon games or games for some one under the age of 12 or 2D games so when westerners RPG games do go with fantasy type games it like Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim , Dragon Age Origins , The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion , Witcher ,Witcher 2 .

I think this explain why there is little games like this in late 90's to now on PC and other other gaming systems like that and why some members here are saying for Ouya to do well it have to be like games now and cannot be like games in 90's.

nec207
July 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Well, ironically, it's actually going back the other way now. If you consider the fact that a lot of people are playing their games on phones and tablets now, it seems like there's a huge market for the retro style of gaming.

For cell phone or iPad yes but not really Alundra ,LandStalker ,Illusion of Gaia ,Zelda ,Final Fantasy ,Crono Trigger and other games theme like that of JRPG it is light westerners RPG games .

jonathonblake
July 18th, 2012, 11:02 AM
For cell phone or iPad yes but not really

There are more games available for the iPad, than for any of the gaming consoles;
More revenue has been generated from games for the iPad, than from any of the gaming consoles;

Does that make the iPad a gaming console?
Does that mean that gaming consoles are fleeing into more specialized and arcane hardware?

Either way, Ouya has major obstacles to overcome, if it is to be a contender as a platform for playing games:

The hardware specifications are lower than seventh generation gaming consoles;
The projected cost is higher than that of an "impulse" purchase;
No sexy add-ons, such as Balance Board (Wii) or Kinect (xBox 360);
No "standard" accessories, such as dance mats, flight sticks, or steering wheels;

Being open source, it is theoretically possible for drivers for existing hardware, such as the Kinect, balance board, flight sticks, etc to be written, and that hardware to be used. However, even that won't work, because there is only one USB 2.0 port.

Development Costs

The average Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game costs between $15 million and $30 million to make. (2010 estimate: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/108/1082176p1.html);
The average Wii game costs between $5-$7 million to develop. (2010 estimate: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/108/1082176p1.html);
The Internet Retailer reported on May 1, 2010, that most [iOS] apps cost between $25,000 and $50,000 to develop. (2010: http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2010/06/full-analysis-of-iphone-economics-its-bad-news-and-then-it-gets-worse.html.);
Simple, static apps typically fall in a price range of $8,000.00 – $20,000.00 (per platform) depending on the amount of information that has to be displayed in the app. Dynamic apps generally average from $12,000.00 – $30,000.00 (per platform) depending on the complexity, though as you add in more features and functionality, the cost will typically increase as well.(2011: http://www.accella.net/how-much-will-my-mobile-app-cost-to-create/);

Revenue

90% of the iOS apps sold less than 100,000 units. (2010: http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/16/iphone-app-sales-exposed/);
The average paid app earned US$6,100 per year. (2010: http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2010/06/full-analysis-of-iphone-economics-its-bad-news-and-then-it-gets-worse.html);;
$682 per year. This is so 'successful' that half of all of the developers of the 164,250 apps - will actually earn LESS THAN THIS.(2010:http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2010/06/full-analysis-of-iphone-economics-its-bad-news-and-then-it-gets-worse.html);
Android apps generate 7% the revenue that iOS apps generate. (2011: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/11/21/piper-jaffray-android-app-revenue-is-7-of-iphones/);
Android Platform App Revenue Lowest, iOS,Blackberry highest. (2012: http://www.onlinemarketing-trends.com/2012/07/android-platform-app-revenue-lowest.html)

Between high development costs, and low revenue, will an Ouya developer be able to generate enough money to stay in business?

Major game studios claim that development budgets are on a par with movie budgets, requiring sales of 500,000 units to simply break even. What, in the Ouya model, is going to enable a major game studio to break even, much less show a profit?

Recycling games from the 1990's might be the only way to test the waters of Ouya, without bankrupting the company if the test is a failure.

jonathon

ade234uk
July 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM

The hours I used to spend on my Amiga playing these types of games. Good times indeed. I do like the idea of this console. Not really a gamer anymore but this is something I am interested in. There could be thousands of titles before we know it.

nec207
July 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Is Ouya going have app store ? The games and software would not be any where like they are if apple did not have app store .

So is Ouya going have a app store.

zombifier25
July 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Is Ouya going have app store ? The games and software would not be any where like they are if apple did not have app store .

So is Ouya going have a app store.

Yes, apparently:

The Ouya will feature an exclusive Ouya store for applications and games designed specifically for the Ouya system.

nec207
July 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Yes, apparently:

Can you go to other app stores or will it be like apple only one app store?

WalmartSniperLX
July 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
It looks like a fun novelty for the family, and/or the open source fanatic for obvious reasons. It makes sense that a open source game console would be on the way considering how successful android has been. But, I don't see how it will have any major success with the majority of gamers wanting to play "higher-quality" titles whos publishers only do major contracts with platforms with major marketshare.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic. MS has pretty much dominated the gaming industry since 2006, and Sony has scrambled for devs ever since they lost a ton to MS during the 360 launch. And Nintendo can only stay afloat by doing something "different" so that there is no competition in their feild. Where will the Ouya fit in? On the sidelines as Linux has for many years before it finally hit a market? Hopefully I'm wrong :)

codingman
July 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Nah, i'm fine. I don't really game, and plus a new console has to have a lot of time to get to a point where the console is really usable and good, otherwise, if you got it the first second the console came out you would probably end up with a big hunk of metal that shows you a blank screen saying "Oopsies, Ouya made a stinky. Error 397: SiS graphics failed." in a very pixelated font.

WalmartSniperLX
July 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Nah, i'm fine. I don't really game, and plus a new console has to have a lot of time to get to a point where the console is really usable and good, otherwise, if you got it the first second the console came out you would probably end up with a big hunk of metal that shows you a blank screen saying "Oopsies, Ouya made a stinky. Error 397: SiS graphics failed." in a very pixelated font.

+1
Or probably just a force close since it's android, which is as unstable as Fedora's Rawhide (or so it seems).

codingman
July 23rd, 2012, 01:20 AM
The controller looks nice though.

IntraSpeaks
July 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
I want to play indie games on it.

DarkAmbient
July 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Interesting! The low spec-part is less fun though... would be great for emulators! As I have tons of ol'time games but no matching console.

forrestcupp
July 23rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry to sound so pessimistic. MS has pretty much dominated the gaming industry since 2006, and Sony has scrambled for devs ever since they lost a ton to MS during the 360 launch. And Nintendo can only stay afloat by doing something "different" so that there is no competition in their feild.

Nintendo can only "stay afloat"? I guess you're forgetting that until only a couple of months ago, the Wii dominated everything else in sales. It was only very recently that the 360 just barely passed the Wii in sales. Just because some "hardcore gamers" don't take the Wii seriously doesn't mean you can just dismiss the reality of how well it did. And when the Wii U comes out, we'll see how the sales of the 6 year old 360 compare to Nintendo.

Also, Nintendo's own 3DS is pretty much dominating in the handheld market. So I'd say they've done a better job than just staying afloat. They had a down year, but that doesn't just obliterate their successful history, and it won't be long before they'll be back on top.

Kennyi
August 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
In my opinion, the ouya is great if they can realize what the concept says. I myself backed up the project with $99, I mean $99 is all I can lose, the risk isn't too big. There is already an excluse game announced, Human Element.
Also Final Fantasy 3 will be great in my honest opinion. But my attention goes to the various Kickstarter campaigns from devs which will port their games to ouya.

Especially this game from a tony hawk level designer came to my attention:
http://www.talkouya.com/index.php?threads/epic-skater-coming-for-ouya.89/

Check it out if you like easy skater games, its just great and looks like real fun in my opinion.

I am wondering if we have any more backers here...

Kind regards,
Kennyi

forrestcupp
August 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Also Final Fantasy 3 will be great in my honest opinion.
Wow. So it will be able to play games 22 years old? :)

Kennyi
August 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
From what I've heard it will be an overworked version, so not the 22 years old game.
I am really looking forward to it:)

alexan
August 30th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Wow. So it will be able to play games 22 years old? :)

I think that through emulation Tegra 3 could pretty much runs any ps2/Xbox1 like console generation game.

If it does look too much... but consider that a psone today can be emulated with a barely 750mhz arm CPU.. and T3 is quad core CPU with GPU functionality.

As for "native performance" Tegra 3 seems equal if not more powerful than wii.

Maybe wine could be adapted to WinCe? think what will happen if Sega begin to sell through Ouya market (or even make their own Ouya alternative market) their Sega Dreamcast classics?
Android runs on Linux 3 and so can run Ubuntu... then what about wine's overlay of libraries? (Windows games could potentially runs too... but so would runs Microsoft's lawyers as well XD)

I do expect a Steam for Ouya ASAP!

3rdalbum
December 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
I think that through emulation Tegra 3 could pretty much runs any ps2/Xbox1 like console generation game.

If it does look too much... but consider that a psone today can be emulated with a barely 750mhz arm CPU.. and T3 is quad core CPU with GPU functionality.

Yeah I know this is a bit of a bump - but I remember emulating a PSOne on a 333MHz PowerPC G3. I'm sure the ARM would do better.

think what will happen if Sega begin to sell through Ouya market (or even make their own Ouya alternative market) their Sega Dreamcast classics?

I think they've already released one of their Dreamcast games for Android. Unfortunately, through necessity it's using an onscreen joystick; but a Ouya would work very well. Considering how few people bought a Dreamcast, there seem to be a lot of people who love the Dreamcast's games and would buy a Ouya for even half of the DC's catalogue.

Android runs on Linux 3 and so can run Ubuntu... then what about wine's overlay of libraries? (Windows games could potentially runs too... but so would runs Microsoft's lawyers as well XD)

No, different CPU architecture. You'd have to do CPU emulation, which would be nowhere near quick enough.

I do expect a Steam for Ouya ASAP!

Why? Ouya already uses digital distribution. No point having Steam. It's not like Linux or Windows games would work without rewriting or recompiling.