PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down vs Switch Off

Ubun2to
July 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Looks like some rather dumb changes have been made in 12.10.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/new-session-menu-lands-in-ubuntu-12-10
http://cloudfront.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-Shot-2012-07-11-at-20.08.jpg
They changed it from Shut Down to Switch Off on the power menu.
Now, this was done because...

The redesign also finally puts ’Switch User Account’ in the same location as other session options, and sees ‘Shut Down’ renamed to the user-intelligible ‘Switch Off…’.
Well, I don't care about the Switch User part, but it's the Switch Off part that is really dumb. Shut down is and has been the way of saying "turn off the computer" since basically the beginning of computers.
Switch Off doesn't just sound awkward (and by that, I mean like a high school teacher saying "do you need to go to the potty?" rather than "do you need to use the restroom?"), it sounds like they are trying to create a relation between a computer and a light bulb.
I would be fine with Shut Down, Power Off, or Turn Off. Those sound logical. But, Switch Off is essentially saying that you press a switch to turn the computer on and off, like a light bulb. You don't-it's called pressing a button.
What I want to know is what were they thinking. It just doesn't sound right. I can see that they may be trying to capture the attention of first time computer buyers, but if they have to do something like this, it makes them look like they are desperate.

juancarlospaco
July 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
OMG they take off my network Switch ???
:P

robtygart
July 11th, 2012, 09:44 PM
(and by that, I mean like a high school teacher saying "do you need to go to the potty?" rather than "do you need to use the restroom?")

:shock: I don't know! If the teacher needs to ask I think its too late!

But I agree that does sound funny, I haven't looked at that yet. 12.10 is still Alpha they might change it...

sffvba[e0rt
July 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It must be a slow news week for Canonical if this is the sort of thing to hit the Cafe and be an issue...

Paqman
July 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Find the string in the code > rename > live happily ever after.

t0p
July 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I can kinda see the OP's point: there's more to powering down a computer than a light bulb or even a TV. But I gotta ask: is it really something to fret about? When a kid's mother says "Switch off that computer and go to sleep dammit!!" does he say "But mom... I gotta shut it down properly!", does he kill the power by pulling the plug, risking a damaged file system just to pedantically obey the command? The answer is, of course, no (unless he's a real PITA) - he'll click on the appropriate buttons, whether they're labelled "shut down", "switch off", "kill the computer"... whatever. One of the first things you learn about your computer is how to activate and deactivate it correctly. Labelling the button "switch off" is gonna bother maybe one person in a million... maybe just the OP. I sure know I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Of course, if the computer in question is the one inside a terminator, precision in language is crucial: if you want it to power down you sure as sneck don't wanna hit the "kill switch"! :)

Paddy Landau
July 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM
One of the first things you learn about your computer is how to activate and deactivate it correctly.
Except for Windows 8. I have tried several times, but I cannot figure out how you are supposed to turn it off!

But remember that Ubuntu is aimed at the average user, who wouldn't give a hoot about the name change. In fact, your typical non-technical business user would probably find it a better terminology. It's not really like the potty vs. restroom analogy (anyway, isn't "restroom" a euphemism? It's the toilet!) but more like restroom vs. toilet.

I call it a toilet, not a restroom; and I say "turn off the computer", not "shut down the computer."

juancarlospaco
July 11th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I think that it should say:

Schrodingers Catize Off this Computer

azangru
July 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM
anyway, isn't "restroom" a euphemism? It's the toilet!

Which is a euphemism as well (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=toilet). A <snip> is more like it :)

alexfish
July 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Perhaps there just getting one in before they patent the rest of the English language

Strange thought we a dictionary for that :confused:

Ubun2to
July 12th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Labelling the button "switch off" is gonna bother maybe one person in a million... maybe just the OP.

I don't know why, but it just bothers me for some reason. It just seems like they are directly going against logic on purpose for some reason...like Apple did.

cariboo
July 12th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I don't know why, but it just bothers me for some reason. It just seems like they are directly going against logic on purpose for some reason...like Apple did.

So what do you propose to do about it?

DingusFett
July 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Can't see a reason for the change at all, 'Shut Down' is what people coming from Windows know, but I can't say it bothers me at all.

llanitedave
July 12th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I agree with the OP. Not only is "Shut Down" universally understood, and "switch" implies an instantaneous change of state, but I never like having different terms nearby one another starting with the same word. "Switch Off" and "Switch User" give different meanings to the "switch" part of the phrase, and that's just not elegant.

That said, it's not the end of the world. I'd just rather they switched labels.

ELD
July 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Seriously people get over it, it means EXACTLY the same thing, it didn't really need changing but it's not a terrible change.

It's simple wording, it means the same, it does exactly the same.

Get over it.

Ubun2to
July 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Seriously people get over it, it means EXACTLY the same thing, it didn't really need changing but it's not a terrible change.

It's simple wording, it means the same, it does exactly the same.

Get over it.

I can't wait to see a bunch of Windows refugees posting "I CAN'T FIND THE SHUT DOWN BUTTON" here.

kef_kf
July 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Except for Windows 8. I have tried several times, but I cannot figure out how you are supposed to turn it off!

Mouseover the top right or the bottom right corners for the side menu -> Click on settings -> Click on Power -> Shut Down

Paddy Landau
July 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Mouseover the top right or the bottom right corners for the side menu -> Click on settings -> Click on Power -> Shut Down
Well, I've learned something, thank you! On my version, the only mouse-over that worked was bottom-left. But it worked. Now I finally know! (I must have an old version.)

Copper Bezel
July 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Someone thought it was important enough to change. These details do matter, though, and the similarity to Switch User really is awkward. As the OP said, if they felt Shut Down was too jargony, they could have gone with Power Off, which really is the least ambiguous and most straightforward - oh, hell, and I just noticed that that's what Gnome Shell uses, too.

stalkingwolf
July 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
As there will be no more Star Wars movies perhaps they hired an unemployed C3PO. That was his favorite thing to tell R2D2 when he was exasperated.

Primefalcon
July 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
As there will be no more Star Wars movies perhaps they hired an unemployed C3PO. That was his favorite thing to tell R2D2 when he was exasperated.
sure there will be, he releases new.... versions every 3 years... he'll do some crap like put spikes over vaders gloves and charge another $30 per movie for em.... how many re-releases has he done?

Artemis3
July 13th, 2012, 02:48 AM
It's because you speak english, but they do this kind of messing the terms all the time in translations, and localization is even worse.

If you push the power button, does it:

Suspend
Hibernate
Initiate proper shut down
Immediately powers off
Nothing
Asks

screaminj3sus
July 16th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Putting shutdown under "settings" is so mind-numbingly stupid. one of the many things I hate about windows 8 /rant.

Nixarter
July 16th, 2012, 04:04 AM
wow.

Switch off is a stupid name. Because that is simply not what it does! I have a switch on the back of my power supply that switches off my computer... but I never switch off my computer because it could cause corrupt files! Shutting down computers is thew only safe and recommended method.

OM55
July 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Ubun2to I completely agree with you!
Sometimes the "need" to make changes is actually not progress but regression.
Change something like that to a new name, just to change it back in the next version (because of the outcry) is seen as "progress" in the eyes of some, while it is actually showing that the developers may not be as focused on really improving Ubuntu as they think they are.

Paddy Landau
July 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Switch off is a stupid name. Because that is simply not what it does! I have a switch on the back of my power supply that switches off my computer... but I never switch off my computer because it could cause corrupt files! Shutting down computers is thew only safe and recommended method.
LOL, it is playing with words. Computer terminology is all metaphorical: window, maximise, minimise, close, open, bit, run, corrupt, transfer, folder, file, delete, virus, Trojan Horse, firewall, …

Therefore, it makes sense to choose a word that reflects real-life thinking. To me, I do not shut down a computer; that would mean (say) closing a store. Nor do I switch it off (though switch off makes better sense (to me) than shut down). To me, I turn off the computer. I press the (metaphorical) button, and the power goes off.

Perhaps power down or power off would be the best terminology.

But, hey, it's not that important, really. Consider how directory became folder. I bet people ranted and raved about that at the time. Heck, so what. People become used to new terms.

Ubun2to
July 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
LOL, it is playing with words. Computer terminology is all metaphorical: window, maximise, minimise, close, open, bit, run, corrupt, transfer, folder, file, delete, virus, Trojan Horse, firewall, …

Therefore, it makes sense to choose a word that reflects real-life thinking. To me, I do not shut down a computer; that would mean (say) closing a store. Nor do I switch it off (though switch off makes better sense (to me) than shut down). To me, I turn off the computer. I press the (metaphorical) button, and the power goes off.

Perhaps power down or power off would be the best terminology.

But, hey, it's not that important, really. Consider how directory became folder. I bet people ranted and raved about that at the time. Heck, so what. People become used to new terms.

I'm fine with Power Off. That is exactly what it does. The reason I disagree with the term Switch Off is, besides not accurately describing what it does, I have seen computers (I think servers, as a protective measure against lightning strikes) where you have to flip a switch for the power brick to come on, then press the button. Just flipping the switch can cause data corruption and a loss of work on those computers (just like pressing the power button can).
The other reason I dislike Switch Off is because my power strip allows you to flip a switch to turn devices on and off as you please. The whole idea of Switch Off, to me, implies you flip the switch on the power strip. Bad idea-it's like pressing and holding the power button when the computer is on.

malspa
July 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't care what they call it. I know what it does.

Elfy
July 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
This is just chasing it's tail.