PDA

View Full Version : File archive format which...

pelerin21
July 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hi,

I am using Peazip on Linux, and Peazip and 7zip both on Windows.

I need an archive file format which has these features:

-File name and encription
-Possible to add new files different than root directory

*7z does not support the second feature which I need: http://code.google.com/p/peazip/issues/detail?id=59

*Rar support all of them but rar compressions does not supporting by peazip or 7zip.

*Zip format supports the second feature but does not support the first.

For me, it is not important the level of compression. Does anybody know any archive format which I need?

Thank you!

juancarlospaco
July 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM
make a .zip and then make a .7z of it.
.zip.7z

szymon_g
July 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hi,
*Rar support all of them but rar compressions does not supporting by peazip or 7zip.

rar is well supported by 7 zip (at least at windows).

pelerin21
July 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
rar is well supported by 7 zip (at least at windows).

Not with open source applications :/

Primefalcon
July 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Not with open source applications :/

sudo apt-get install rar
bang the fileroller will now understand rar files..... easy

by 7z is about the best format out there, I've done a lost of tests at max compression

gzip
zip
rar
7z

amongst tons of others and gzip and 7z usually come out on top with 7z having the edge in a lot of cases... I've usualy found both zip and rar to be pretty bad as compression goes....

you'll want to make sure that you read the man pages on 7z and gzip though to do maximum compression....

btw do your encryption separate after you've already zipped the file, I'd recommend gpg

pelerin21
July 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM
sudo apt-get install rar
bang the fileroller will now understand rar files..... easy

We were talked also for other OSes (especially for windows support with open source applications)

sudo apt-get install rar

by 7z is about the best format out there, I've done a lost of tests at max compression

They all say that 7z is one of the best but I could not understand yet why it does not support one of the simplest features which I write on my first message - second feature

sudo apt-get install rar

you'll want to make sure that you read the man pages on 7z and gzip though to do maximum compression....

I don't need compression too much for this situation (for now)

sudo apt-get install rar
btw do your encryption separate after you've already zipped the file, I'd recommend gpg

Ok I know gpg and other soluitons, but I really need an archive format because I am using this archive files on many different computers... So I need 7zip, Peazip or another archive tool which is isnatlled on many other computers...

Primefalcon
July 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
you know you can ue gpg on windows or mac as well?

mac: https://www.gpgtools.org/installer/index.html (havn't used but heard it's good)

windows can be handled with putty.... or if you want a gui gpg4win (used both with 0 issues)

really as are as encryption goes, you want proper open source encryption... whether you like open source or not... most security experts will tell you thats on thing you do want open source

pelerin21
July 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
you know you can ue gpg on windows or mac as well?

mac: https://www.gpgtools.org/installer/index.html (havn't used but heard it's good)

windows can be handled with putty.... or if you want a gui gpg4win (used both with 0 issues)

really as are as encryption goes, you want proper open source encryption... whether you like open source or not... most security experts will tell you thats on thing you do want open source

I always use my archived files to another computer. So I need an archive manager, because it is difficult to find gpg application or something. That's why I prefer archive formats.

But I still can not believe that 7z does not support that feature I want... :confused: