PDA

View Full Version : Any possibilities to get Tab's for Nautilus?

tenzin
June 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Hey,

I really love Nautilus, it's a great File-Manager...but the only thing I really need is: Tab's!!!

...Then I would really have only 2 windows up: Firefox and Nautilus (with tab...I just hate the jungle of windows in my face)

lg

ten

givré
June 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah that's could be something wonderfull, i vote for it.

darkninja
June 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
That wouldn't be a bad idea, Gnome terminal and Epiphany have tabs, so why not Nautilus?

Unless a user knew to press ctrl+shift+t they wouldn't have to worry about it from a usability perspective.

frodon
June 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Do you mean tabs for the nautilus default spacial mode ?

bruce89
June 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, that would be a brilliant idea to implement, see GNOME bug http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48034

pelle.k
June 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Why this hasn't been done yet is beyond me...
Nautilus should have tabs, AND split view with terminal in current directory like in konqueror.

rai4shu2
June 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
And custom toolbars like Epiphany has.

Skye
June 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Why this hasn't been done yet is beyond me...
Nautilus should have tabs, AND split view with terminal in current directory like in konqueror.

Exactly.

tenzin
June 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Thats the only thing I really miss in nautilus....cause nautilus works perfectly for me...tabs just would be a fine addition...

and as I sayed I hate the "windows jungle" (since firefox supports tabs---there are no longer websites-windows around and behinde each other...just order :)

regards
ten

[Edit: isnt there right now any plugin or extention for nauti?]

prizrak
June 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Bad idea, it is a file manager, which would mean drag and drop file operations. Dragging from one window to another is simple and straight forward, throw in tabs and there is mad issues.

jnev
June 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
that's a great idea.. don't know why it never occured to me because I'm a tab fiend in any other program..

bruce89
June 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Bad idea, it is a file manager, which would mean drag and drop file operations. Dragging from one window to another is simple and straight forward, throw in tabs and there is mad issues.
An idea could be to drag stuff up to the tab, whereupon it opens gracefully.

GeneralZod
June 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
An idea could be to drag stuff up to the tab, whereupon it opens gracefully.

Just what I was going to suggest - Spring-loaded Tabs(TM)!

givré
June 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Try konqueror first, and when you will come back to nautilus, you will miss something, for sure.

pt78
June 24th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I also vote for tabs. However, I think there should be no tabs by default, (as it is now) but user should be alowed to enable them. This might be useful - not to confuse beginners. Also, there may be some constrains given by GNOME Usability Project. (Just thought, not sure.)

bailout
June 24th, 2006, 12:10 PM
My main dislike of gnome is nautilus and its overly simple interface. I never understood spatial, it just filled my screen with lots of windows I didn't want and the only other option was a clone of windows explorer. Having used PowerDesk Pro on windows for some years Nautilus was a huge step back. If Nautilus had been better I may have stuck with gnome rather than kubuntu.

So, yes, tabs and split view would be good.

gingermark
June 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Whilst it might not be "there" yet, PCMan File Manager (http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/) is a great alternative to Nautilius, with tabs and a split-view thingy.

EDIT: http://wiki.ubuntu.org.tw/index.php/HowtoInstallPcmanfm has details on the repository, but I wouldn't keep it permanently enabled, as I think some of the programs in it have a dependency issue or two. Still, you can install PCManFM without hassle from it.

zAo
June 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Whilst it might not be "there" yet, PCMan File Manager (http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/) is a great alternative to Nautilius, with tabs and a split-view thingy.
Wow, this looks great. Is there a way to let PCman draw your desktop like Nautilus does?

Onyros
June 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM
An idea could be to drag stuff up to the tab, whereupon it opens gracefully.There's a file manager that does this already, it's called PCManFM (PCMan File Manager), I use it with Fluxbox and it's a great little file manager. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, no more, no less ;)

http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

I used it to replace Rox, as I think's it's a little counter-intuitive, and I even prefer it to Nautilus (simpler, leaner, faster and doesn't try to do too much).

edit: this is what happens when you reply to someone's post without reading the entire thread :P I hadn't checked out gingermark's reply, but I definitely second gingermark's advice. I'm mostly a Fluxbox user, but whenever I used GNOME I really miss the tabs on the file manager.

bruce89
June 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM
There's a file manager that does this already, it's called PCManFM (PCMan File Manager), I use it with Fluxbox and it's a great little file manager. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, no more, no less ;)
Yes, the tab browsing idea from this could be nicked and added to nautilus.

AndyCooll
June 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Agree with (almost) everyone else, great idea!

:cool:

drfalkor
June 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
/Voteing for tab's :KS