PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LTSP fails: client boot error PXE-061: Media test failure

JD Hupp
July 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have been trying to get an LTSP server and client running, but so far have failed with several approaches. All attempts have ended with the client boot error "PXE-061: Media test failure."

--------

WITH UBUNTU:

With Ubuntu 12.04 32-Bit Alternate Install CD, and setting F4 Modes to Install an LTSP Server, I understand that with two network cards installed, the installer should automatically set up a ready-to-serve LTSP server. Just connect your client to eth1 (the secondary network interface) and boot.

This Ubuntu attempt used a PC with Intel Celeron 2.8GHz, 512MB, and plenty of hard drive space. I tried 3 different client PC's set to network boot. I also tried booting clients with eth0 on the server not connected to the network just in case there was an IP conflict in play.

System Monitor on the server does not show any processes running named LTSP-something or Terminal-something.

--------

WITH LUBUNTU:

I also tried Lubuntu 12.04 32-Bit Alternate Install, which does not have an F4 option to Install an LTSP Server. Then I used this procedure for manually setting up the LTSP Server:

Preferences: Network Connections: edit Wired Connection 1 (eth1), IPv4 tab:
Auto –> Manual
IP: 192.168.1.1
SNM: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: none
DNS server: none

Run: LXTerminal
sudo apt-get install ltsp-server-standalone openssh-server
sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386
sudo leafpad /etc/ltps/dhcpd.conf
(edit dhcpd.conf to change every 192.168.0.x –> 192.168.1.x so as not to conflict with my modem at 192.168.0.1)

Reboot and test

I also tried the Lubuntu setup with eth1 set to 192.168.0.1 and DHCPD.CONF in its default configuration to support that, but I got the same failure error.

--------

What do I look at next?

--John