PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installation problem

PriMa77
July 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I tried to install LUBUNTU liveCD and everytime I got error message after booting:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(0,0)

I already have winxp installed (on 1 partion, 2 is free).

Rex Bouwense
July 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Doesn't sound like you got too far. If the live CD will not boot then I suspect that there is a problem 1. with the download (Did you run an MD5sum on the download to check that you got a good download?) 2. with the burn (Did you burn the ISO at the lowest possible speed and not merely copy the files to the CD?)

PriMa77
July 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I did check and burn at 2x. I had ubuntu 8 and 12 installed with no problem. i read about grub, kernel verions... im beginner and this is all new to me

Rex Bouwense
July 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
If you checked the md5sum and burned the CD at a low speed and cannot boot from the CD, I still suspect that you did not get a good burn.
What are the specs of your computer? Lubuntu doesn't take a great deal to load, but it does require a minimum of 192 Mbs of RAM to install.
I just reread your posts. You said that you could not install but you didn't say that you could not boot from the CD. Can you do that as a minimum? If you can boot to Lubuntu, try it and see if all of the components work. If you had two versions of Ubuntu installed you already know how to do that. Lubuntu has a much lighter desktop and file manager. If you cannot boot from the CD, you probably need to burn another CD or try to burn the ISO to a flash drive (if your computer will support that.)

manishiitg
April 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
ubuntu live cd works fine for me most of the time. try to burn it again or use the usb live option