PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Some Beginner's Questions About The Linux GUI Environment

DoctorVarney
July 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I know I started with a basic question How To Get The Gnome Desktop... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2021648) but now that I have my GNOME Desktop environment up and running, I really want to focus my enquiries a bit more effectively.

First off, I see that Ubuntu 12.04 starts out with a GTK theme. Then I installed GNOME. Advanced settings appear to provide options to cherry pick themes for various aspects. For instance, the windows themselves can borrow from one theme, while icons can come from another and so forth. If I've understood correctly?

My question: are GTK and GNOME different from each other in the sense that if I download a GTK theme, I won't be able to implement it through GNOME ( & vice versa )? Or is GNOME just another visual theme, which can be chosen over GTK?

In Windows XP ( back when theming was officially supported ) you downloaded a theme - ( either from Microsoft or some third party 'skinning enthusiasts' site) - unpacked it, put it in a folder, then instructed the Display Properties to implement it in Windows. Thus, the whole thing looked different... but I notice Ubuntu has changed in the way it displays the desktop quite significantly since I went with GNOME Desktop. I really enjoy using it like this, so I wish to stick with it for now.

Except that I would like to change the window colouring and appearance/ size of icons in the GNOME Desktop and would ( if possible ) like to know how to do this.

Obviously, I'm aware - this 'Ubuntu thing' ain't no Windows! So if I'm to start playing with the look of Ubuntu 12.04, it's as well for me to understand roughly what is going on when I swap themes.

Because I'm so new to Linux, I haven't a clue where themes are stored or how they work. I could really use some advice on this, in the form of some basic definitions and the way in which Ubuntu itself changes it's look.

Do I find them in the Ubuntu Software Centre or do I have to download them and install them from the theming websites? If so, what's the process involved in installing/ implementing them to Ubuntu?

Also, there is another term: "Precise Pangolin" which I'm not sure what that means, exactly. A synonym for GNOME Desktop or the name of a another sub-theme? I'm not sure.

Paqman
July 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
My question: are GTK and GNOME different from each other in the sense that if I download a GTK theme, I won't be able to implement it through GNOME ( & vice versa )? Or is GNOME just another visual theme, which can be chosen over GTK?

GTK = GIMP Tool Kit

It's built by the people that make Gnome, and generally means a Gnome theme. However, Gnome has just gone through a major revision and stuff for Gnome 2 isn't going o be compatible with the current Gnome 3.

Also, there is another term: "Precise Pangolin" which I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

Precise Pangolin = Ubuntu 12.04. Ubuntu versions always have silly animal-based names, it increments one letter of the alphabet per release, the next one due out in October (12.10) is called Quantal Quetzal.

GreatDanton
July 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I will answer you just on the last question, since I really don't know what were you talking in the upper part of the post. Pangolin is animal (google it), precise means precise, accurate.

I hope this helps a little.