PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing Lubuntu

NeoJettero
July 10th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Please help. I have an old Gateway laptop computer that ran Windows XP. I'm trying to install Lubuntu 12.04 because I have 982 MB of memory. I don't need anything too powerful because I want to learn Linux, especially the CLI. My goal is to build a separate Linux Home Server. My problem is that Ubuntu 9.04 is currently on the computer, but I can't update it. I get either there is nothing to update to (9.04 might not be supported anymore) or there is a network error. I currently have the computer plugged into my router via ethernet becuase for some reason Ubuntu isn't recognizing my on board wireless card. I'm not to concerned because I'm planning on purchasing a USB wireless NIC. I have the Lubuntu iso that I have burned onto a CD-R, but it won't install. Perhaps I should be trying a CD-RW. I also tried to find a way to create a boot USB. Any suggestions? Thank you.

zwygart
July 10th, 2012, 01:38 AM
It is normal that you can't upgrade from 9.04 to 12.04, it's more than 2 years and the repositories of 9.04 no longer exist.

You say that the LiveCD don't install? Could you give more détails? Does it boot? Can you select options? Does the Desktop show up? Does the install process begin? After install does it reboot?

May be it's just a setting in the BIOS to do to boot the CD.

If the CD boot, you can create a USB easily from the programme shipped with.

If this doesn't work, just give us details what doesn't work. There are plenty's of way to install Linux. This is your first post on this Forum, so welcome, but to have a version of 2009, you are probably a little bit familiar with Linux/ubuntu. How much? Are you confortable with the command line? Conf files? etc.