PDA

View Full Version : Current status

stlsaint
July 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM
So as I stated earlier, I am awaiting a response from canonical in response to if we will be in trademark violation or not with using separate applications to create our spin. I do not want to release a subpar distro to you all. I have a great vision and we have some great personnel willing to come aboard. More the merrier of course ;)

So with that said, I will be waiting before pushing the final release. If canonical says we cant use my original release than I will provide the slimmed down version. Yet if we are able to go full out then that will be provided. As in the words of a user, "Lets not put out distro consisting of ubuntu with some apps added". I have a vision for a complete OS. Custom from head to tail.

jonathonblake
July 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I am awaiting a response from Canonical in response to if we will be in trademark violation or not with using separate applications to create our spin.

Use a completely different name:

enables you, or other parties to provide paid support;
enables greater flexibility in program inclusion/exclusion;
enables greater flexibility in which chipsets to support;

jonathon

stlsaint
July 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Use a completely different name:

enables you, or other parties to provide paid support;
enables greater flexibility in program inclusion/exclusion;
enables greater flexibility in which chipsets to support;

jonathon

That is a plan also. Currently weighing options with going with LCE (linux christian...). That also brings in a entirely different aspect of operations. A different name means we must leave from using ubuntu forums as you can imagine. We technically become an entirely separate distro for production. Which I am fine with but of course along with that comes marketing, a new location, (forums mainly, which we already have but nobody uses due to having UF here!!). If the community will support it we can take that route but for right now we will see.

nixblog
July 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
That is a plan also. Currently weighing options with going with LCE (linux christian...). That also brings in a entirely different aspect of operations. A different name means we must leave from using ubuntu forums as you can imagine. We technically become an entirely separate distro for production. Which I am fine with but of course along with that comes marketing, a new location, (forums mainly, which we already have but nobody uses due to having UF here!!). If the community will support it we can take that route but for right now we will see.

If the distro is working fine and to your expectations then don't compromise what you have. Just call it LCE or L4C - I'm sure the Christian community can cough up finances for a website to reflect the new branding. To be honest, it would benefit the project as a whole to have the website, forums etc under one umbrella IMHO.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

stlsaint
July 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
If the distro is working fine and to your expectations then don't compromise what you have. Just call it LCE or L4C - I'm sure the Christian community can cough up finances for a website to reflect the new branding. To be honest, it would benefit the project as a whole to have the website, forums etc under one umbrella IMHO.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

Plans are in the works. Sit back and watch the plot unfold! :popcorn:

cowlitzron
July 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM
If, the deal doesn't work with Ubuntu, you could always change the base of your ISO to Slackware, the oldest surviving distro which I am now with. Slackware has a strong stability and user control. However, pure Slackware doesn't have auto dependency resolution. However, you could base it on Salix which is a Slackware respin which has slapt-get based on apt-get. If, you don't base it on Slackware or Salix, we could always port the wallpaper and Bible software to a Slackware base. A Slackware based ISO of Bible software has been done before, but the version is an older version that won't run a currently supported version of Firefox.

nixblog
July 31st, 2012, 10:57 PM
If, the deal doesn't work with Ubuntu, you could always change the base of your ISO to Slackware

Are you serious?

There was a Slackware distro for Christians a couple of years back which basically got the distro and its author slammed over at the Linux Questions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/slack4christians-12-2-rc1-for-persistent-cd-usb-hdd-802489/page5.html) forum when he announced it. To be fair, not all the Slackers were against the author as some sighted "freedom" and the ability to be able to do what he was doing.

As with Slack4Christians, UCE has issues at present using the Ubuntu name due to some of its contents but at least the Ubuntu community gave this release the ability to air itself without people getting stuck into and beating up on the people involved.

Given freedom of choice, what I saw on the LQ forums and a distro that works out of the box for an average or new user then sadly, Slackware or its deviants would be towards the bottom of my list. Having said that, Slackware is still good for someone that wants to get their hands dirty and find out how a Linux system is put together - great learning experience!

nixblog
July 31st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Plans are in the works. Sit back and watch the plot unfold! :popcorn:

Is there an update on this yet?

stlsaint
August 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
If, the deal doesn't work with Ubuntu, you could always change the base of your ISO to Slackware, the oldest surviving distro which I am now with. Slackware has a strong stability and user control. However, pure Slackware doesn't have auto dependency resolution. However, you could base it on Salix which is a Slackware respin which has slapt-get based on apt-get. If, you don't base it on Slackware or Salix, we could always port the wallpaper and Bible software to a Slackware base. A Slackware based ISO of Bible software has been done before, but the version is an older version that won't run a currently supported version of Firefox.

I appreciate your input but me using slack is far at the bottom of my to-do list :-\"
I will probably stick to a ubuntu and debian base. Maybe lubuntu if i get a wild hair but lubuntu and debian bases will not have the prospective trademark names. No debian CE or lubuntu CE whatsoever. Separate projects under one name! (maybe):guitar:

stlsaint
August 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Is there an update on this yet?

Currently pushing to a few beta testers. Interested? :D

nixblog
August 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM

Yes, very :)

cortman
August 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM

Sure- but you know that already- you can get ahold of me via IRC, PM, or email. :)

stlsaint
August 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Please bear with me. As i stated before...plans are in the works! UCE is only getting better! This post install script will install all your media codecs, dropbox, skype, flash, heck even google-earth if i get a wild hair!
:popcorn:

Credit must go to crunchbang linux for the original script and fusion for forking it but this has been modified specifically for UCE! E-sword anyone??!! ;)

I am still seeking out a stable way to offer up e-sword aside from the installer. It will come from my uce-welcome script, i just havent decided how i want to serve up the .exe. Many issues with installer script that we all know and love from dk with the newest esword and wine and i need a way to do it from cli...no remastersys here :D

jonathonblake
August 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM
but this has been modified specifically for UCE! E-sword anyone??!! ;)

I'm begining to think that e-Sword 10.1.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 are not going to work properly, under any conditions.

I am still seeking out a stable way to offer up e-sword aside from the installer.

It is going to have to be a command line script, that automatically downloads and installs e-Sword, becuase you can't include the e-Sword installation file in the distro.

jonathon

cortman
August 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Why not just use Bibletime? (i.e., why try to include e-sword if there are good native alternatives?)

stlsaint
August 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Why not just use Bibletime? (i.e., why try to include e-sword if there are good native alternatives?)

Well Xiphos would probably be my personal choice but it has been discussed time and time again through various forums that e-sword brings functionality that many people seek. Again personally i use xiphos but i must admit that e-sword is also very nice. Overall i would like to provide a way for people to choose. If they dont want e-sword than they simply skip that step in the script but if they do than they have the option. Though it will probably take some more work on their end to "tweak" the install.

Another reason I am trying to push the UCE wiki for proper documentation on UCE. To cover things such as the web content filter and how to tweak it, e-sword installations, converting a ubuntu install to UCE, etc.

stlsaint
August 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Well Xiphos would probably be my personal choice but it has been discussed time and time again through various forums that e-sword brings functionality that many people seek. Again personally i use xiphos but i must admit that e-sword is also very nice. Overall i would like to provide a way for people to choose. If they dont want e-sword than they simply skip that step in the script but if they do than they have the option. Though it will probably take some more work on their end to "tweak" the install.

Another reason I am trying to push the UCE wiki for proper documentation on UCE. To cover things such as the web content filter and how to tweak it, e-sword installations, converting a ubuntu install to UCE, etc.

jonathonblake
August 7th, 2012, 04:15 AM

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder.

http://sword-and-scabbard.blogspot.com/2011/08/selecting-bible-study-software.html is where I blogged about selecting Biblical Software.

For people that use *Nix, and don't currently use Biblical software, either Xiphos or BibleTime is probably a good choice.

For people migrating from Windows to Linux, the odds are that e-Sword is what they are used to. If there was an easy path to migrate their resource collection, then forgoing e-Sword might be acceptable to them.

Then there are the long term users, such as myself, for which migrating resources is a major undertaking. Something not to be undertaking without extensive study. For me, personally, neither Xiphos nor BibleTime currently offer the feature set, functionality, and capabilities to offset the time expenditure in migrating resources from e-Sword.

jonathon

cortman
August 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
When I migrated from Windows to 100% linux, I installed e-sword in Wine initially too. Unfortunately handy things like the search function were broken in the process... Once I managed to get BibleTime to download modules correctly I used it exclusively and never reinstalled e-sword.
But yeah. If it is possible to have an e-sword installation through Wine that DOESN'T break any features, that'd be great.

cowlitzron
August 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I figured a Slackware or Salix base wouldn't be particularly popular since Slackware is not as user friendly and is has much fewer users than Ubuntu. If, Salix is similar to Slackel, a distro that is based on Salix;
than even Salix is not as user friendly as Ubuntu. I used Slackel for some time, then I switched to Slackware 14.0 beta by switching to Slackpkg and choosing a pure Slackware mirror with it and updating the system with that. I choose Slackware because it is the oldest surviving Linux distro, and it has a reputation for stability that is unsurpassed. For instance Slackware 14.0 beta has to be more stable than Ubuntu 11.04 final (the first Ubuntu with Unity). A good compromise choice is Debian which had its first release only a month after Slackware, may be second in usage among free OSs only to Ubuntu, and has a strong reputation for stability. I just do not feel a Divine leading to change my OS at this time, therefore I just may port UCE software over to Slackware. I do have Bibletime on my system.

stlsaint
August 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Yes I would like to see a stable debian CE but in all honesty and to be upfront I currently have, nor forsee any future of making a slackware CE. I have never used slack, nor had a major interest in it. It is nothing against slack itself. Heck if you wanted to work on a slackCE that would be great and I would aid anyway I could but that is not a project I plan to undertake myself.

cortman
August 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
that is not a project I plan to undertake myself.

Lol, this ^^. Slack is alright (I'm testing it in VM's right now) but difficult to base things off of; and the packages tend to be rather moldy (which also means stability; it's a bit of a tradeoff).
A Debian based LCE would be awesome; but as a Linux novice I don't think I'm up to leading the undertaking either...

nixblog
August 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM
A Debian based LCE would be awesome; but as a Linux novice I don't think I'm up to leading the undertaking either...

I'm going to give DCE a serious go soon, I've done several builds for myself before. Seeing as UCE will be for fairly new hardware I would base a DCE off either XFCE (default for Wheezy - so long Gnome) or LXDE - I'm tending to favor a 32bit LXDE build as it would be better for low-end machines. This said, a build could be several months away due to the fact that Debian Testing is now in freeze mode in order to fix bugs etc for Wheezy 7.0 early next year. I could use Squeeze stable but this now has a limited life span and would then require a rebuild or everyone (on stable) has to upgrade to Wheezy which can have its own pitfalls. Debian Testing is a bit messy at the moment and I have lost two machines after updates recently which, were easily fixed but, your average user is not going to be able to cope with fixing.

I have played with WINE but have no intention to put it on any of my builds I end up releasing as I consider WINE to be at best a hit-and-miss affair and also purely from the fact that this is Linux so lets get use to using Linux apps. If Linux based Christian apps are not as good as their Windows counterparts then now is the time start using the Linux ones, give feedback/help to the developers and progress forward and make things better.

stlsaint
August 10th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I'm going to give DCE a serious go soon, I've done several builds for myself before. Seeing as UCE will be for fairly new hardware I would base a DCE off either XFCE (default for Wheezy - so long Gnome) or LXDE - I'm tending to favor a 32bit LXDE build as it would be better for low-end machines. This said, a build could be several months away due to the fact that Debian Testing is now in freeze mode in order to fix bugs etc for Wheezy 7.0 early next year. I could use Squeeze stable but this now has a limited life span and would then require a rebuild or everyone (on stable) has to upgrade to Wheezy which can have its own pitfalls. Debian Testing is a bit messy at the moment and I have lost two machines after updates recently which, were easily fixed but, your average user is not going to be able to cope with fixing.

I have played with WINE but have no intention to put it on any of my builds I end up releasing as I consider WINE to be at best a hit-and-miss affair and also purely from the fact that this is Linux so lets get use to using Linux apps. If Linux based Christian apps are not as good as their Windows counterparts then now is the time start using the Linux ones, give feedback/help to the developers and progress forward and make things better.

That would be awesome on the work on a Debian edition. I have already started it to be honest. I have a already pre-configured config setup through live-build. Using live-build itself it cannot properly build a ubuntu base without a required kernel hook. If you get more interested and want to get involved join up with me in the ubuntuCE irc in my signature.

cowlitzron
August 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I switched to Chakra GNU/Linux which is an independent distribution which uses Pacman. I just like to use the rekonq browser which lets me use a useragent string that doesn't have Mozilla, but has automatic switching to more common useragent strings for web sites that need this such as Facebook. I just like that it is rolling release. I choose the apps I want and do not have to bring back deleted apps when I install a new version, for I do not have to install a new version, just keep the system updated.

cowlitzron
September 7th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Congratulations for completing Ubuntu 12.04 Christian edition. However, I'm back with Slackware 14.0. I do have a UCE 12.04 live DVD. I do use Firefox and Thunderbird both of which is on your live DVD. I do not feel led to switch to a Ubuntu based system at this time, being that Slackware has been around longer. Nevertheless, I'm not ruling out possibly switching to UCE in the future.

FrogDemon
September 7th, 2012, 06:12 AM
What about a Fedora CE? I mainly use Fedora, but I did install Xubuntu today and am actually dling UCE as I type this.

By the way, don't mind my name, it's a misnomer. I am not now or at anytime been a frog or a demon. :lolflag:

Anyways, I have been missing UCE. I used it until the final release and was glad to hear it was back.

FrogDemon
September 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Google Chrome as the default browser? Really? Will be installing FF and then have to setup DG. Because I don't think DG will set itself up.

Why Google Chrome? Personal preference I guess.

stlsaint
September 7th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Google Chrome as the default browser? Really? Will be installing FF and then have to setup DG. Because I don't think DG will set itself up.

Why Google Chrome? Personal preference I guess.

Nothing against firefox and unless you removed it, it should still be present by default. Also no need to configure DG per browser. All traffic automatically goes through DG so no matter what browser DG is still running! :popcorn:

FrogDemon
September 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM
On live, I just didn't see it. I will be installing it soon here. I have missed UCE. I'm just glad its back.

Also, has Canonical made a decision on whether or not to let you keep using the Ubuntu name?

stlsaint
September 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
If you search for it in your dash then you will see firefox there. As of right now no objections from canonical so we will see. We were pretty much "grandfathered" since UCE has been around since Ubuntu Feisty Fawn!

mhancoc7
September 8th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Awesome Job Matthew!! I am very glad to have you working on this. I have really wanted to get this going again but just have not had the time to.

I am going to be working on a new GUI for Dansguardian soon and hopefully we can get that in the next release.

As for any issues with the name. I got permission very early on and have followed the restrictions that were given.

God Bless, Jereme

Megaptera
September 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM
... As of right now no objections from canonical so we will see. We were pretty much "grandfathered" since UCE has been around since Ubuntu Feisty Fawn!

Great news :p