PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I need to delete newer copies

wdtd
July 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
So I have a very big mess.

I have lots of broken copies and backups of several directory trees. I have corrupted files, missing files, and bad file dates. I have filenames with funny characters.

After much effort, I hope I can deal with everything but the bad (newer) file dates.

To simplify: I need to take 2 non-identical directory trees (that only have missing files, no bad copies) then end up with just 1 directory tree where the files' dates were the oldest files' dates.

dir1/file1 #older date
dir1/file2 #newer date
dir1/file3 #only copy
dir1/file4 #same date
dir2/file1 #newer date
dir2/file2 #older date
dir2/file4 #same date
dir2/file5 #only copy

to

dir/file1 #older date
dir/file2 #older date
dir/file3
dir/file4
dir/file5 #same date
I don't know how to make this happen especially with filenames with funny characters.

I think the script would loop, (compare the equivalent file md5sums), compare the equivalent file dates, and fix or delete the newer copies.

I have done a lot of searching, downloaded a bunch of programs, but haven't found anything I could use and I need to get this done sooner rather than later.

WARNING: You need to backup your files and test your script heavily before deleting (using the command rm) or changing anything important even if you think it should work!

wdtd
July 10th, 2012, 01:21 AM
So, do you think this would this work? Is there a better way to do it?

#!/bin/bash
FILES1=/path/to/dir1
FILES2=/path/to/dir2

cd $FILES1
for f1 in `find -type f`; do
f2=$FILES2/$f1
if [ ${f1} -nt ${f2} ]
then
echo "$FILES1 $f1 is newer"
else
rm -i $f2
fi
done

I really don't want to lose files because of a goof.

Vaphell
July 10th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I really don't want to lose files because of a goof.
so you have to test it heavily without rm-ing

always quote your variables if you don't want surprises
if [ ${f1} -nt ${f2} ]
rm -i $f2

i'd go with

while read -d $'\0' f1; do echo "$f1"; done < <( find -type f -print0 )
instead of for

wdtd
July 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the VERY IMPORTANT :p reminder about testing. I am going to pre-run the script with ls instead of rm before I start deleting files.

I am not sure how to quote my variables. Would using find with -fls instead of -print0 be enough for my unusual characters? Including
{ } ( ) _ extended-char-setsUnfortunately, I don't think I understand how to incorporate your suggestion below because I keep getting errors.

while read -d $'\0' f1; do echo "$f1"; done < <( find -type f -print0 )Thank you!

Vaphell
July 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
what kind of errors do you get?

that while loop iterates over find just like your for loop but uses NULL character as a delimiter (-print0/read -d $'\0') - NULL is illegal in filenames so it's perfect for that purpose. Everything else is put into f1 variable (read f1). You need more or less copy do-done block, echo in mine was just for illustrative purposes.

while read -d $'\0' f1
do
f2="$FILES2/$f1"
if [ "${f1}" -nt "${f2}" ]
then
else
rm -i "$f2"
fi
done < <( find -type f -print0 )

[ ${f1} -nt ${f2} ] this needs quotes, otherwise you'll get 'too many arguments' error thrown by the [ command every time you get whitespace

$ x='a b'; y='a b'
$ [ ${x} = ${y} ] # equivalent to [ a b = a b ]
bash: [: too many arguments
$ [ "${x}" = "${y}" ]
$

wdtd
July 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I was getting syntax errors trying to use the while loop. Using this code, I don't get syntax errors but it doesn't seem to get iterating (and only compares 2 pairs of files) and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

#!/bin/bash
FILES1=/path/to/dir1
FILES2=/path/to/dir2

cd "$FILES1"
while read -d $'\0' f1
do
f2="$FILES2/$f1"
then
else
rm -i "$f2"
fi

Vaphell
July 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM
strange
let's see what the loop does exactly, copy-paste this into terminal in proper directory (ctrl+c/ctrl+shift+v)

c=1; while read -d $'\0' f1; do echo "$((c++)) $f1"; done < <( find -type f -print0 )
does this produce different results than

find -type f
find -type f -printf "x" | wc -c

how do you run your script?

wdtd
July 10th, 2012, 09:45 PM
c=1 code

1 ./filed
2 ./fileb
3 ./filea
4 ./filec
find -type f

./filed
./fileb
./filea
./filec
find -type f -printf "x" | wc -c

I get the same results with either:

bash script.sh
bash ./script.sh
./script.sh
Here is what I get when I run the script
(filed and fileb are newer in dir1 while filec and filea are older in dir1)

$ bash script.sh
/path/to/dir1 ./filed is newer
/path/to/dir1 ./fileb is newer
rm: remove regular empty file `/path/to/dir2./filea'? $Thank you again for all of your help. I am still learning and hopefully this thread will also be of help to others who need this kind of script.

wdtd
July 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I think rm -i is the problem.

For some reason, the while loop version does not want to let me confirm my deletion when the for loop does not have that problem.

Paddy Landau
July 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Please back up both folders before proceeding.

Vaphell
July 10th, 2012, 10:35 PM
indeed, i haven't thought of that.
try this:

while read -r -d $'\0' f1
do
f2="$FILES2/$f1"
then
else
rm -i "$f2" < /dev/tty
fi

wdtd
July 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Thank you very much! That did it. Here is a complete copy of the code in case it can be of use to others. :D

#!/bin/bash
#Delete files in FILES2 which are newer than or the same age as FILES1
FILES1=/path/to/dir1
FILES2=/path/to/dir2

cd "$FILES1"
while read -r -d $'\0' f1
do
f2="$FILES2/$f1"
then
else
rm -i "$f2" < /dev/tty
fi

WARNING: You need to backup your files and test your script heavily before deleting (using the command rm) or changing anything important even if you think it should work!

Paddy Landau
July 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thank you very much! That did it. Here is a complete copy of the code in case it can be of use to others.
Excellent, and thank you for the code.

To help others find the code, please mark your thread as solved (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads).