PDA

View Full Version : HTML5 for Ubuntu desktop apps

snowz
July 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
There's this new RSS application called LightRead ( from Ubuntu App Showdown ) and It's said that everything apart the Unity integration is made with HTML5.

What does this mean? How to display it as a standalone application if its using HTML5 and CSS for the GUI design?

juancarlospaco
July 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
What does this mean?

I dunno.

How to display it as a standalone application if its using HTML5 and CSS for the GUI design?

Depends on what you try to do, what App you try to make,
what language to use, but just embed a Webkit and make the HTML5 there.

I coded this App for myself, for CCNA:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iuYUxz0FQb4/TsmIwOTSoTI/AAAAAAAAA0s/FCunGAzO6mo/s640/nethelper3.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0WawB9zcqig/TsmJOfAxvGI/AAAAAAAAA08/aH0s1SPPvlE/s640/nethelper2.jpg

As you can see, its just a Python + Qt + Webkit script
and a HTML5 + CSS3 + JS App inside, the PyQt GUI is Transparent.

Dragonbite
July 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
There's this new RSS application called LightRead ( from Ubuntu App Showdown ) and It's said that everything apart the Unity integration is made with HTML5.

What does this mean? How to display it as a standalone application if its using HTML5 and CSS for the GUI design?

Yeah, I read that article this morning and it got my wheels turning too... Then when you think the Mozilla's phone is going to run only HTML5 applications on it, I see a bright future.

According to one of the comments
The HTML5 interface runs in WebKitGtkI'm going to have to look into that.

MG&TL
July 10th, 2012, 07:46 PM
There's a good tutorial here: http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-devel-demos/3.5/message-board.c.html.en
It's for C, but it's not difficult to port to *-gobject languages. Give us a shout if you want help with pywebkitgtk, I used that briefly for a demo.

snowz
July 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've found the information before today though, just forgot to mention it back in my topic. The power of HTML5 and WebKit is pretty interesting yeah :)

Dragonbite
July 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've found the information before today though, just forgot to mention it back in my topic. The power of HTML5 and WebKit is pretty interesting yeah :)

But in using WebKit, does that cause any problems accessing via Gecko (Mozilla)?

MG&TL
July 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
But in using WebKit, does that cause any problems accessing via Gecko (Mozilla)?

I think so, yeah. You can't use both, they use different rendering concepts. Unless of course there's Gecko for GObject and co.

Dragonbite
July 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think so, yeah. You can't use both, they use different rendering concepts. Unless of course there's Gecko for GObject and co.

For applications on Linux, I don't think this is going to be such a big deal.

On the web, though, people focusing on WebKit over other engines is starting to fragment the web again that if it gets worse, could be reminiscent of sites developed targeting IE.

juancarlospaco
July 11th, 2012, 09:31 PM
is starting to fragment the web again that if it gets worse, could be reminiscent of sites developed targeting ie.

??? :/