PDA

View Full Version : Anything Like Yojimbo or DevonThink for Linux?

buzzingrobot
July 9th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Anyone ever used Yojimbo or DevonThink for OS X? Is there anything like that for Linux?

Yojimbo and DevonThink can be very roughly categorized as freeform databases. You can throw almost any kind of content at them and they will index it, let you tag it, categorize it, search it, display entries, list entries, etc.

For instance, I use a Javascript bookmark with Yojimbo to save web pages, or pieces of web pegs. I can save the link, the page, or a PDF of the page. I can add tags. Yojimbo indexes everything and stores it away.

I can encrypt everything or a single entry or a piece of data in an entry.

DevonThink is the more powerful of the two, finding relationships between entries.

Tomboy isn't anything near this. Neither are personal wikis.

Goodseeker
July 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I am not sure what you want to do, but have you considered Zotero? It started as a Firefox extension (therefore cross-platform), but there is now also a stand-alone version (and an IE version). It is a bibliography reference tool, but I use it as personal document and information manager. It has tags, automatic indexing of PDF and other documents, and many other useful features.

buzzingrobot
July 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I am not sure what you want to do, but have you considered Zotero? It started as a Firefox extension (therefore cross-platform), but there is now also a stand-alone version (and an IE version). It is a bibliography reference tool, but I use it as personal document and information manager. It has tags, automatic indexing of PDF and other documents, and many other useful features.

Can Zotero create PDF's?

Goodseeker
July 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Can Zotero create PDF's?
No it cannot. Create PDFs from what? If you mean converting other formats into PDF, I use a virtual PDF printer (at least one is also available for Linux) to make PDFs of any document for which there is an application that can print it. If you mean saving web pages as PDFs, you can print from within your web browser to a virtual PDF printer as described above, but it is probably more convenient to use a browser add-in that does that (I know there is at least one for Firefox). But personally I do not feel I need to save web pages as PDFs, since Zotero can save copies of the html and index them on the fly. Finally, if you mean creating PDFs from nothing, the only inexpensive way I know is to create a document in an office application (MS Office or Open Office) and print it to a PDF printer. I am not sure I got your question right, though.

Goodseeker
July 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Can Zotero create PDF's?
...second thought:
Zotero will not help you scan documents from paper. It will only index the file name of a file that is the result of optical scanning, without doing any OCR processing on it.
Zotero will only index PDFs and some other document types if they are in vectorial, unencrypted format. Scanning and OCR must be done with other means.

buzzingrobot
July 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM
...second thought:
Zotero will not help you scan documents from paper. It will only index the file name of a file that is the result of optical scanning, without doing any OCR processing on it.
Zotero will only index PDFs and some other document types if they are in vectorial, unencrypted format. Scanning and OCR must be done with other means.

Thanks for the detail. Most of my use of Yojimbo is confined to saving web pages or pieces of pages. I'll usually tag them, and then rely on the indexing if the tags are insufficient. I drag and drop in PDF's, and save receipts, etc., as PDF's. Yojimbo adds entries to the OS X Service menus so some form of "Save to Yojimbo" is available in any application where it would be appropriate. I don't do any scanning. I'll take a good look at Zotero.