PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where is my Conky ?

czgirb
July 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I used Ubuntu 12.04 in Gnome Classic
I installed Conky from Ubuntu Software Center
But I found no conky on my menu.
My conky will show up only if I open it from Terminal.
Why?

Is it able to have conky as one of my startup application ?

Donjr
July 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
To run conky at startup, you have to do more than just run the conky command, because conky needs to be started after the desktop shows up, so that conky appears on top. So to do that, create an empty file in your home folder, let's call it .conky-startup.sh, make it executable and put this in it:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky ;
Save the file and go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications, click "Add" and add the path to the .conky-startup.sh file, for instance /home/.conky-startup.sh

Found in Unixmen forums

QIII
July 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Conky depends on a configuration file typically called /home/username/.conky/conkyrc.

If that does not exist, a very basic default conky is used. It is nearly useless.

You have to construct conkyrc, which is too much to go in to here.

The command to launch it is typically

conky -c /home/username/.conky/conkyrc

The launch script would need to use that.

Designing and implementing your conkyrc for the first time can be intimidating. I would suggest googling some fairly simple examples and building from there.

You will probably also want to install something like lm-sensors, then detect your sensors. hddtemp will be necessary to monitor your hdd temps, and it will have to be configured with dpkg-reconfigure so that it will run without sudo.

All of this is too much to go in to here.

I'm on my cell phone so I can't add a link. I'll try to get back to this to add some.

GreatDanton
July 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Well, maybe that's right for previous versions of conky. I am using 1.9 and so called .conkyrc is now placed in home/etc/conky/conky.conf.

Maybe take a look at my thread where I posted the instructions for conky (in case anyone is interested post #48 ):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2013848&page=5

@Donjr: I don't have this command in my conky and everything works fine (conky shows on desktop), but that script is very good if you don't want to have any problems.

QIII
July 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I believe conky.conf is the default one that is useless to begin with.

If you look at the thread you posted, people are referring to conkyrc.

If you log out with the option to save the session, conky will run at the next login. If not, you have to start it. Some prefer to sleep it and start it with a script to make sure everything else is running first on the first conky draw.

GreatDanton
July 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I believe conky.conf is the default one that is useless to begin with.

Creating a conkyrc in your /home allows you to have one tailored by user.

True, but for beginners, is in my opinion, better to start with.

Kopkins
July 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
The conky config file can be specified as whatever you want. I use /home/user/.conkyrc. I start it with a simple bash script.

#!/bin/bash

sleep 5

conky -c ~/.conkyrc

exitI've attached my conky config file for you to do anything with. It's fairly simple. Look up other threads to learn how to configure conky. It's fun to mess with.

Good luck!

Kopkins

Frogs Hair
July 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
For manual startup and shutdown Alt + F2

conky

killall conky
Dash will store these commands if using Unity.

QIII
July 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM
The conky config file can be specified as whatever you want.

Which is why, of course, I said "typically". ;)

stinkeye
July 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Conky looks for a config @ ~/.conkyrc
If the file doesn't exist it will load the default config @ /etc/conky/conky.conf

So if your only running 1 conky you just save your config to ~/.conkyrc
and run with just conky

If you want to run more than one conky or like to test
different configs, save your configs anywhere and
name them anything you want and use the -c option to specify a config.
eg

conky -c /path/to/my/config

Add to startup using the conky delay option -p (may need to increase delay)
eg

conky -p 10 -c /path/to/my/config
or

conky -p 10

czgirb
July 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have .conkyrc file, which download from devianart ... and I placed in: /home/***/.conkyrc

Add to startup using the conky delay option -p (may need to increase delay)
eg

conky -p 10 -c /path/to/my/configor

conky -p 10

Oh! Please use simple word ... my knowledge to Ubuntu is very very unsufficient and now still in the LEARN level.

Kopkins
July 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh! Please use simple word ... my knowledge to Ubuntu is very very unsufficient and now still in the LEARN level.

He posted the commands that you need to use to run conky. In linux, several programs run from the command line. Opening a terminal will give you a command line, or you can use 'alt+f2' to pass a command to the system.

So, if you want to use conky, you need to use the commands he gave you. It's not that he was being unclear.

To test out your conky, press 'alt+f2' and type:

conky
And you should get a conky window as long as the config file is good.

Best of luck,

Kopkins

stinkeye
July 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I have .conkyrc file, which download from devianart ... and I placed in: /home/***/.conkyrc

If you have your config @ /home/***/.conkyrc
then just running conky will load that config.

At this stage it's best to run in terminal as it will show any config errors.
Hit the Super (windows) key and search for and open terminal
Type in conky in the terminal and press Enter.

If your config is ok you will have whatever is determined by the config displayed on the desktop.

Then to start conky automatically on boot,
add to startup applications(top right in the panel)
using as the command

conky -p 10

The -p 10 is an inbuilt conky option which will pause the starting of conky the number of secs specified.
This is needed when booting so conky doesn't run before the desktop is fully loaded.

czgirb
July 10th, 2012, 05:58 PM
If you have your config @ /home/***/.conkyrc
then just running conky will load that config.

At this stage it's best to run in terminal as it will show any config errors.
Hit the Super (windows) key and search for and open terminal
Type in conky in the terminal and press Enter.

If your config is ok you will have whatever is determined by the config displayed on the desktop.

Then to start conky automatically on boot,
add to startup applications(top right in the panel)
using as the command

conky -p 10220999

The -p 10 is an inbuilt conky option which will pause the starting of conky the number of secs specified.
This is needed when booting so conky doesn't run before the desktop is fully loaded.

Got it! Done. Thank you very very much!