PDA

View Full Version : create an application to use on windows using c++

zayid
July 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hello, hope you all had a great weekend. I was given a project to use c++ and create an application that calculates the cumulative grade points in a university, the program has to have a login page with username and password fields but i don't even know where to start. I will be very grateful for any ideas/help.
Thanks

PaulM1985
July 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Is this a school/college project? If so, do they give you some guidance on what to use?

I am imagining that you are supposed to be using Visual Studio and MFC as your UI toolkit. As far as I am aware you are only able to do that on Windows, you wouldn't be able to do it on Ubuntu.

I'm afraid you haven't really given enough information to allow me to give you the slightest bit of help. How would you know if the username and password are valid? Where are these cumulative grade points coming from, a file, a database, user input?

I'd recommend that you try asking your tutor for some info and if you get stuck on something specific then try and post here.

Additionally, you have asked a Windows related question in a Ubuntu forum, so you are not likely to get many people offering suggestions.

Paul

zayid
July 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Is this a school/college project? If so, do they give you some guidance on what to use?

I am imagining that you are supposed to be using Visual Studio and MFC as your UI toolkit. As far as I am aware you are only able to do that on Windows, you wouldn't be able to do it on Ubuntu.

I'm afraid you haven't really given enough information to allow me to give you the slightest bit of help. How would you know if the username and password are valid? Where are these cumulative grade points coming from, a file, a database, user input?

I'd recommend that you try asking your tutor for some info and if you get stuck on something specific then try and post here.

Additionally, you have asked a Windows related question in a Ubuntu forum, so you are not likely to get many people offering suggestions.

Paul

The reason why i posted here is i believe Linux users are more familiar with programming languages like c++ and i was told to use c++ for the program, but i know i'll have to use a different application to make it an .exe file.
I'm supposed to create an application that will accept a student's grades(for all the courses) then calculate the GP(grade point) and subsequently CGP(cumulative grade point) all using c++.
If i can get a heads-up on the program to calculate the GP & CGP and also which way to convert it to an .exe file