PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After installing from bootable USB and entering password screen turns black

Ssssschwartz
July 9th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I have an older Acer Aspire 4520 that has a non working display and decided to turn it into a HTPC or something similar and decided to use Ubuntu since I've used it in the past and have had great results. I made a bootable USB on a Verbatim Tuff n' Tiny 4GB drive according to the instructions and installed with no issues.

When I restart to actually start doing anything is when I have problems. I have to wait about 2 minutes for something to happen after the initial Acer bootscreen that is shown for BIOs access and after that 2 minutes I am greeted with the login screen. I enter my password and press enter and then nothing happens for a while. The login information disappears and then just the standard ubuntu background is shown with my cursor. After 30 seconds my screen goes black leaving just my cursor on the screen. After this nothing happens, the cursor is responsive and follows my touchpad movements but nothing happens no matter what buttons I press.

If there are any suggestions or solutions as to what is going on I would appreciate it. Also I forgot to mention that this Acer is hooked up by VGA cable to my 42' Dynex TV.