PDA

View Full Version : A Call to Arms

thunderduck3141
June 23rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
I have just found out that major corperations (ie Verison) aree trying to privitize the Internet :(
Hear my call, we must fight this while it is still young

joe_lace
June 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Are you talking about network neutrality?

Stormy Eyes
June 23rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah, he is. He doesn't realize that as long as corporations are treated by the law as if they were individuals, they'll use their money to buy governments. Fighting for network neutrality is a red herring. The fight should be against corporate personhood.

joe_lace
June 23rd, 2006, 01:04 AM
The way the laws are now there really isn't much to be done about network neutrality. Verison and AT&T are not trying to privatize the internet. It already is private. They own the cable the data travels over. As it stands they are perfectly in their rights to charge whatever they want for access to that cable. Hopefully a solution is found for this before it gets out of hand.

thunderduck3141
June 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
no
i am talking about stuff like charging you $0.05 to do a search in google
that is what they are trying to do

trivialpackets
June 23rd, 2006, 02:50 AM
Shoot...you mean I'll actually have to go and do research at a library again? WTF?

woedend
June 23rd, 2006, 02:51 AM
people have been talking about this for years...

G Morgan
June 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM
The solution to the problem is simple. Wherever net neutrality prevails will be where the economy grows due to free innovation and the ability to compete with your mind and your effort rather than your wallet. The key is to ensure that the EU or elsewhere (in all honest only the EU is large enough outside the US and China who are already breaking things) fights for net neutrality if the USA doesn't. That way these companies will have a big expensive waste of space, since neutrality suits 99% of other businesses they will dump the US system like a bad habbit. This economic threat will result in the US either declaring war on the EU or forcing net neutrality on the corperations. They won't accept a situation where all innovation happens abroad.

Compucore
June 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM
They have been talking about that since the net went open public since the early 90's. It would be extremely hard to regulate the net locally nevermind globally.The net is huge. And it is a bunch of networks combine that makes it up not just one from the States, Canada, or elsewhere.

Compucore

thunderduck3141
June 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
yeah, i hear what you are saying
just scared me a little becuase if by some cruel twist of fate it did happen, well there goes linux

joe_lace
June 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
yeah, i hear what you are saying
just scared me a little becuase if by some cruel twist of fate it did happen, well there goes linux
Wait, why would company's charging websites to use their lines, or prioritizing traffic based on type of traffic be the death of Linux?

wmcbrine
June 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
The fight should be against corporate personhood.Amen... but that's a much bigger battle. One that will take generations. Network Neutrality is on now.

curuxz
June 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
America has the save the internet group but the EU needs to found some kind of network liberty movement of its own. Why should we simply stand by and watch america screw us over. Lets take a stand and protect our networks today and for ever more.

We need to band together, produce something that is clear ie a manefsto for change or legistlation and then lobby for our govements to do something about it. Simply saying its bad wont help, we need to put in writting our solution.

mips
June 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Best way to vote is with your wallet. Unfortunately society are like sheep, they just follow and don't think.

curuxz
June 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Best way to vote is with your wallet. Unfortunately society are like sheep, they just follow and don't think.

I think those days are long gone we cant just not buy, as you quite rightly say the sheep will continue to fund this problem, and we need to take action. Because if we dont then there will be a war. We all know this has a lot to do with p2p, and remember what happens when a torrent site goes down, the police get hacked and destroyed very quickly. Now imagine the day when they say no more p2p full stop unless you pay. The net would be destroyed.

There needs to be a concerted effort to save the net and its pathetic that the EU is not taking a stand, espicaly my country the UK, you would think the British people who invented the computer and HTML would have strong pro net stance but we seem more intent to watch big brother and let american companies sell our digital liberty.

We need to do something, and fast. I don't want to grow old in an itunes style internet. I spoke to someone who worked at Bletchly I asked them what it was like to work on the first computers, I spoke to people of my parents generation and asked what was it like to get a PC at home, and I lived to see the internet take off in 96' I am watching the broadband revolution sweep my country but im dammned if the only thing my children (asuming i ever have any) have to ask me is where were you when the internet was lost?

People think that statements like this are overplaying the issue. if you believe that dont use your computer, see how long before you miss the quick easy access to information. Now imagine that forever, I know I would go mad, how about you...

wmcbrine
June 23rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Best way to vote is with your wallet.If by "voting with your wallet", you mean switching to another provider... well, there aren't any. Or rather, there are two to choose from, in most areas of the U.S.: The local cable monopoly, or the local phone monopoly. Or you can get third-party DSL (an option that's fading fast), in which case most of your money still goes to the local phone company. Otherwise, you're stuck with dialup (and still paying the phone company).

woedend
June 24th, 2006, 06:20 PM
you guys worry too much.

wmcbrine
June 25th, 2006, 03:42 AM
You don't worry enough.

vayu
June 25th, 2006, 04:30 AM
you guys worry too much.

No, this is serious. The money grubbers can and will narrow our choices down to their content. I can't participate in ANY mainstream media, and haven't for years. Once bandwith is owned by money, the internet will be as BS as television. Huge parts of it all ready are.

woedend
June 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Firstly, I don't forsee this happening. Secondly, if by some chance the move occured...well sadly that's capitalism. If you own something you can charge to use it, we are lucky it's been so neutral so far. In theory it's not the end of the world, prioritized traffic based on urgency and cost.
Not that I want it...i'm not a big fan of change of any kind. But maybe privizitation would lead to more and more enhancements as a form of competition. Then again, maybe it will end it paying 10 cents to go to google...never know I guess. But one thing is certain...if these companies by some chance really bone the current internet up, a new one/a new way will arise and take over.
And if the cost of internet skyrocketed...I, like many others, would have my ubuntuforum withdrawals for a few days and enjoy a more active life :p

curuxz
June 25th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I think it comes down to who owns the internet. If i buy 3 million miles of wires I dont have a network I just have a big *** cable. Same with the phone compaines, we are the network, the users. This is our home and for many of us our techincal ability is one of the few things that proves we are smarter than most. I first used the net when I was 12 and i have spent nearly 8 years getting to be a pro at things like html, css, php etc this really would mean that all that would become meaningless, why pay for my development company when BT has its own web design team. Prefrenchel traffic will kill off people like me and I personaly intend to fight this till the end...