PDA

View Full Version : Google Plus Music = Greatest thing ever (to me)

cbennett926
July 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I just want to rant about how awesome Google Plus Music is if you haven't ever used it. It is a free music service, much like iTunes, where you can buy songs you want. But here's where it strays from the norm, you an upload your library up to 20 gigs of music and be able to stream it on any device for free, as well as on the web. It doesn't stop there, and here is also where it comes to my advantage, you can re-download what songs you want twice on any other device. See, I have two hard drives, one with Windows 7 Pro, and one with Ubuntu 12.04. I use Windows for gaming and such needs for school, and Ubuntu for everything else, but back when 12.04 came out and I updated I lost all of my music because I forgot to back it up, my fault and no one elses, and rather than take the time and energy to put all the music back on an external harddrive and transfer it over, I can now just pick which ones I want to keep on my Ubuntu hard drive, and which ones I think should stay on Windows.

Sorry if this was long, just really felt like saying how awesome it is to now be able to transfer and store so much stuff on Google's Cloud (for free)!

Primefalcon
July 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Spotify free which is unlimited does me just fine

cbennett926
July 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Spotify free which is unlimited does me just fine

See, I used that too, but I can't listen to it on my phone for free :/

lancest
July 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Isn't it called Google Play?
Awesome cloud service.
Now my PC's and tablets (and future phones) have unified music.

cbennett926
July 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Isn't it called Google Play?

Oops! You are correct, "Google Play Music". It's confusing because it's linked with your Google Plus account lol

Tigerbloodz
July 9th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I use youtube for music, works on everything and it's free ^^

lancest
July 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Google Play is essentially free also. I've got thousands of songs uploaded at no cost. YouTube is key also.

ronnysingh
July 9th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I use youtube for music, works on everything and it's free ^^

Dailymotion and Vimeo are also nice websites. I save all of my favourite Youtube videos in playlists and have never bought a single song because almost all of the music of my choice is available on those websites.

Dragonbite
July 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've uploaded a lot of my music and installed the program that will scan my music folder and upload anything new I rip.

One thing I like about it is that at work, I can listen to my music through the browser, and at home I use the local version.

I don't think it takes up any of your Google Drive space either which is very, very handy!

HermanAB
July 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why would anyone buy music like on iTunes? Install Streamtuner and be happy.

aysiu
July 9th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Why would anyone buy music like on iTunes? Install Streamtuner and be happy.
Does Streamtuner require an active internet connection to play music?

cbennett926
July 9th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Does Streamtuner require an active internet connection to play music?

Not sure if rhetorical... haha

gefalu2008
July 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Since Google announced it will we dropping its iGoogle service, I have lost faith in the company.

When using Google Play, beware of malware. I am sure their music service is not affected but it was reported (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/android_trustgo_china_mobile/) today that

Malware is frequently turning up on the official Android marketplace Google Play – although admittedly less frequently than on some of the more dubious third party sites.

screaminj3sus
July 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I find it useless as I have ~100 gigs of music and uploading it all would take an absurd amount of time, I'd like it if it could stream music right from my computer in addition to being able to upload it.

cbennett926
July 10th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I find it useless as I have ~100 gigs of music and uploading it all would take an absurd amount of time, I'd like it if it could stream music right from my computer in addition to being able to upload it.

You can upload and stream it, you can stream via website, or a client. The first 20 gigs are free, but I think you can purchase more space, but that is just as far as I know.

Nixarter
July 10th, 2012, 06:42 AM
20 gigs? that's quite a bit for a free service. That's around 30 CD's. I only have about 15 or 20 CD's that I regularly listen to anyway haha

aysiu
July 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
When using Google Play, beware of malware. I am sure their music service is not affected but it was reported (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/android_trustgo_china_mobile/) today that Malware for Android is pretty easy to avoid:
Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware (http://androidforums.com/android-applications/36936-android-permissions-explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html)

Dragonbite
July 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Oh, there is a service but I can't think of the name (GrooveShark?) which is an intermediary between the browser and your computer.

From a remote computer you navigate to the service's website and log in. It contacts the computer you have running at home for the list of music and displays it to the remote computer via the browser. When you want to play it, I think the player is included in their website but your music is streaming from your machine! (of course the machine hosting the music has to be on, connected and running some program that accepts pings from the service and informs the service what the IP address is).

I don't know if PogoPlug plays music, but that is another possible means.