PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System randomly and repeatedly falls asleep

schreiberbj
July 8th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I am running ubuntu 12.04 on an old laptop. I am fairly new to linux, and don't really know how to troubleshoot it. I have noticed an unusual problem several times over the last few weeks.

I will use my computer normally for a while, but then it will start falling asleep randomly. At least, I think it is falling asleep. The screen goes dark, but fades back in when I touch the trackpad. Even after I wake it up, it continues to fall asleep every few seconds until I restart the computer. I think it happens after I switch from one of the virtual consoles back to the graphical environment, but I am not sure.

Any help with either fixing this or tracking down the problem would be appreciated.

AlbertJB
July 8th, 2012, 06:12 AM
To begin with, you could specify the laptop model, GRAPHICAL CARD, etc...

schreiberbj
July 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
It is an hp Compaq nc4200. Intel Pentium M 1.86 GHz processor. 1.5 GB of ram.

AlbertJB
July 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM
So maybe the problem is the graphical card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900, up to 128-MB shared system memory (from what I've searched in HP web). The driver you have installed is the i915 ? I've found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/136593/how-can-i-fix-broken-i915-drivers-for-intel-gpus Hope givves you some hints.. You can do an X-diagnose and put the output here...