PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't boot from USB

Zeroxje
July 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Guys,

I've recently installed OpenSUSE on my laptop to test it out. Turns out I don't like it so I wanted to go back to Ubuntu.

Now, I've created a a bootable usb stick with the Universal-USB-Installer.exe on my windows desktop and tested to see if it worked, which it did.

Next I tried booting it from my laptop (F12 boot menu -> USB) I did the exact same thing while installing OpenSUSE which worked fine. However, as soon as I click USB almost immediately the bootloader grub/OpenSUSE thingey pops up.

My laptop has 2 usb ports and tried 'm both.

The thing is, I've tested the usb stick on my desktop and it worked fine. And 2-3 days ago I installed OpenSUSE using the exact same method on my laptop.

Any guesses as to why this isn't working?

Zeroxje
July 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM
So.. I've tried OpenSuse for a while longer and it still isn't working out.

Currently I'm stuck on "Syslinux 4.06 edd 4.06-pre1 copyright (c) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al" with a blinking _ at the second line.

I know the USB stick is solid cause I've tried it on 2 machines and it booted into the ubuntu install/live cd screen.

any tips/help?

Rex Bouwense
July 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I have one quick thing for you to check. Insert the flash drive and turn the computer on. Enter your BIOS and navigate to boot. Some laptops recognize a flash drive as an additional hard drive so check the hard drive entry. If there is a plus sign there or several entries, make sure that the fhash drive is a head of the hard drive in the boot order. Just a thought.

Zeroxje
July 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I have one quick thing for you to check. Insert the flash drive and turn the computer on. Enter your BIOS and navigate to boot. Some laptops recognize a flash drive as an additional hard drive so check the hard drive entry. If there is a plus sign there or several entries, make sure that the fhash drive is a head of the hard drive in the boot order. Just a thought.

I actually found out what it was, and I think a lot of people are having the same problem.

I only had the openSUSE distro on my laptop. For some reason a bootable USB stick created on a windowsmachine didn't work. But a Bootable USB stick created on the OpenSUSE distro worked immediately. I used the same .iso file for both of them.

I'm not sure this is working as intended, but when I've read through some of the threads on this sub-forum it seems like a lot of people are having this problem.