PDA

View Full Version : In regards to "The main suggestion for Edgy Eft"

joepotter
June 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
In regards to "The main suggestion for Edgy Eft":
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189372

I was not displeased at all to see the thread put out of its misery. I do wonder what was the reason. I would have thought that it should never have been moved from the "Ubuntu Cafe" to the Edgy forum in the first place. No one requested such a move.

But since it was moved, I now wonder why "the jail"? Was it simply the one fellow's request? "Mangar" had not followed the thread nor offered any comment other than to plead to end a thread he did not need to read.

I ask this because I would have thought that when the OP got called "stupid" or "retarded" that some action would be taken, rather than at the request of a first time poster.

So, I am asking simply who moved the thread, why it was moved, and why "the jail" rather than other places.

One final question for future reference. I never seem to see one fellow censored or warned; it always seems that the action of moderators is to take down a whole thread rather than warn whatever party is guilty. Is this true, or just a mistaken impression on my part?

kassetra
June 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
In regards to "The main suggestion for Edgy Eft":
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189372

I was not displeased at all to see the thread put out of its misery. I do wonder what was the reason. I would have thought that it should never have been moved from the "Ubuntu Cafe" to the Edgy forum in the first place. No one requested such a move.

But since it was moved, I now wonder why "the jail"? Was it simply the one fellow's request? "Mangar" had not followed the thread nor offered any comment other than to plead to end a thread he did not need to read.

I ask this because I would have thought that when the OP got called "stupid" or "retarded" that some action would be taken, rather than at the request of a first time poster.

So, I am asking simply who moved the thread, why it was moved, and why "the jail" rather than other places.

One final question for future reference. I never seem to see one fellow censored or warned; it always seems that the action of moderators is to take down a whole thread rather than warn whatever party is guilty. Is this true, or just a mistaken impression on my part?

Let me see if I can answer you some now, and more when I have more info for you.

People get censored and warned quite a bit - but to allow people to "save face" we do it in private instead for the world to see them being admonished (usually.) If a person doesn't respond to their private warnings however, or alter their behavior, etc., then many times more "immediate" action is taken.

As for this thread, here is some of the information I have:

it caught the attention of a moderator only recently
as you know, calling people names isn't allowed
most of the thread was of a "flame war" nature and it had little "redeeming" value
the jail is where we move threads/posts that are inappropriate (for many reasons)
requests to move threads can be done using a "report post" function - and as such, are not displayed as a post - this thread was most likely moved because of either it being reported, by accident, or by title (I will check.) Now, I will have to get back to you regarding all of the information you have requested, since I do not have all of the answers right now. I wanted you to know that this thread wasn't jailed without a lot of thought first - and a lot of review. A "regular" thread like this is usually discussed quite a bit with staff before jailing/locking/etc.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions right now. :)

joepotter
June 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM
... Now, I will have to get back to you regarding all of the information you have requested, since I do not have all of the answers right now. ...

Thanks for your response. I am glad to hear that my being called "stupid" and "retarded" were in fact violations of the rules, but were just not noticed.

I look forward to your post with the rest of the information that you are looking for.

Thanks.