PDA

View Full Version : So i'm installing windows now...

GarethMB
June 22nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm not giving up on K/Ubuntu. I'm just sick to death of wine not being able to run windows only programs well. I want to play some games and this is the only way other than Cedega i can do it. It's going to be pretty annoying to set windows up. I've got drivers to find, firewall to install, clamwin to install and then ton's of 'next' clicking to do. Worst of all though i'm going to have to change my sig.

If Ubuntu had native games i don't think i'd ever touch windows. I prefer all the GNU/linux programs to windows ones.

mips
June 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
would it not work if you installed windows in vmware ?

GarethMB
June 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'm sure it would, but that's bound to be more hassle than its worth.

zAo
June 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Dude, but a gameconsole and remove Windows. (no, not a XBOX :))

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Dude, but a gameconsole and remove Windows. (no, not a XBOX :))
consoles don't do certain types of games that PCs do well--MMORPGs, FPS, turn-based strategy.

Jasper Houtman
June 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
What's wrong with an xbox? I love my Xbox, modded it (is very easy to to because it was build by microsoft :P ).

It plays all my movies, music, playstation one games (and snes, nes megadrive, mame, etc).

I could even run linux (http://www.xbox-linux.org) on it!

Jasper Houtman
June 22nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
consoles don't do certain types of games that PCs do well--MMORPGs, FPS, turn-based strategy.

Not true, helped my brother getting a keyboard and mouse working on his 360.
With those playing MMORPGs, FPS and strategy is the same way as you would on a pc.

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Not true, helped my brother getting a keyboard and mouse working on his 360.
With those playing MMORPGs, FPS and strategy is the same way as you would on a pc.
the game-types are there, but the specific game *titles* are not.

It's like saying to someone who likes Shakespeare's tragedies--"well, this theatre company also performs tragedies, but none by Shakespeare. They only perform tragedies by Marlowe."

To which the theatregoer would respond "But I wanted SHAKESPEARE!"

To which his friend says "But they're all TRAGEDIES. And Marlowe is a perfectly good tragedian!"

GarethMB
June 22nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have an xbox and i've owned a gamecube, and whilst i was satisfied with both some games just need a PC.

Kimm
June 22nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Keep an eye on this (http://www.alkyproject.com/) project

FISHERMAN
June 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
no, not a XBOX
IMHO, the Xbox(the original one, not the new 360) is one the only decent things made by MS.

kassetra
June 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'm sure it would, but that's bound to be more hassle than its worth.

You're the second person that I've seen think that. The first person installed vmware through synaptic and saw it's not a hassle at all.

Have you looked at it?

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Have you looked at it?
What the heck is it anyway, I mean, what does it actually do?

mips
June 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Allows you to create virtual machines within linux from where you can run other os's. It is not the same as emulation.

VMWare server would be a better option to install but I dunno if it is available in the repos, guides do exist.

www.vmware.com

DrSturgeon
June 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
You'd want vmware server... It's not in the repositories, but it's freaking easy to install. Just download it, and run the install script.

But I'm pretty sure there's no 3d acceleration in vmware, so it won't work for games.

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Is Xen supposed to be the same idea as VMWare, but free software?

mips
June 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Is Xen supposed to be the same idea as VMWare, but free software?

Yes, Xen is GPL I think. VMWare player/server is free from a financial point of view but not GPL'd, proprietory/no source.

AndyCooll
June 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
And Xen will only work with Linux distros at the moment as far as I'm aware.

:cool:

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Using Ubuntu as a sole OS since 10/3/2006-Thats dd/mm/yyyy for all you Americans.

does that mean you'll be back?:confused:

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 04:04 PM
It means since the 10th of March of this year. Not sure what you mean by

does that mean you'll be back?:confused:

fuscia
June 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
It means since the 10th of March of this year. Not sure what you mean by

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, i see now.

G Morgan
June 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
VMware is of no use for games since you don't get Hardware GFX Acceleration. Runs any Windows apps pretty well though. Personally I have an Ubuntu VM in my XP partitions and a XP VM in my Ubuntu Partition. This way I can use all my Windows apps in Ubuntu and if I'm playing games in XP and I suddenly decide to browse the web I can do so in an isolated environment.

Xen is similar to VMware in some ways but works via a different method. Xen runs beneath all your OSes, every single OS is virtualised even Dom0. VMware runs in a host OS. The VMware player available in the repos only allows you to play VMs not create them (there are legal ways around this on the web by editing the config file by hand). VMware Workstation is a paid for product but gives you the full ability to run several VM's at once and gives you a GUI interface for editing a VM. VMware Server is free but is a beta product AFAIK, it allows you to create VMs as well.

Another option is Qemu which is GPL but its only a worthwhile tool with the KQemu kernel module which is closed source but free. So it kind of defeats the point to a large extent.