PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xorg issues after 12.04 Upgrade

TroubleClef
July 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
First, I'm not entirely sure if this is in the correct thread (I'm relatively new to the forums). If it isn't, please let me know.

I'm currently running Ubuntu on an HP 1b60-us laptop. After upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04 a few months ago, I started running into some difficulties with X. After the initial upgrade, X wouldn't boot, and I had to jump through some hoops with creation of new Xorg.conf files in order to get X to restart. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to record what steps I took at the time. I eventually managed to get things working, but I've been having difficulties with X ever since. My computer has been periodically freezing, logging me out without warning, and occasionally failing to recognize my touchpad. These errors are occasionally followed by an "Ubuntu has encountered an error" style message that references Xorg.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is there additional info from me that would help to solve this problem?

I've attached a copy of my /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I unfortunately had to save it as an .odt due to size restrains.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
-TroubleClef

dino99
July 6th, 2012, 07:05 AM
a few comments:

- nowadays kernel directly deal with X, so xorg.conf is not needed except on special config. Lot of issues are due to existing xorg.conf.

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- what graphic driver is installed/used ? is it activated ?

sudo jockey-gtk

Sometime, purging then reinstalling the xserver-xorg-xxxxx driver (replace xxxxx by yours) solve problems (use synaptic to do it)