PDA

View Full Version : The End Of ICANN?

bonzodog
June 22nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/22/icann_marrakesh_preview/

"ICANN Marrakech: There will be much to discuss at ICANN's Marrakech meeting which kicks off this Saturday, but one question rises about all others: what will happen to the internet on 30 September 2006?

ICANN has its own agenda to discuss, but that agenda and what people actually want to discuss are a little different. As is the fundamental issue that everyone at that meeting should be talking about. This is our account of what is likely to happen, why, and what it all means."

This looks interesting...read BOTH pages, as the juicy stuff is on page 2.

kb3hkg
June 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Very interesting article indeed.

bonzodog
June 25th, 2006, 09:45 PM
well, as no-one has bothered to really reply to this, I am going to quote in the relevant section which could drastically alter the way the internet is controlled, and domains are handled:

The United States government's expiring contracts with ICANN, both the Memorandum of Understanding and the IANA contract

The MoU by which ICANN draws all of its authority, and by which the US government asserts control over the internet, will expire on 30 September. IANA is the contract to run the database that specifies where everything is on the internet. It is the fundamental internet directory. The contract that ICANN has to run IANA - granted again by the US government - was extended almost arbitrarily to coincide with the MoU's 30 September expiration date.

What is incredible about these two contracts is that even though they will expire in three months, there has been absolutely no public discussion of them. I personally have asked US government officials and ICANN about what the plans and intentions are, and have yet to receive a single piece of useful information.

This is the last meeting of ICANN before that expiration date. The contract is of such fundamental importance that, if it were not renewed, ICANN would effectively cease to exist and all the planning that has gone into the December Brazil meeting would have all been for nought. The US government refuses to state what everyone knows its intention is: to renew the MoU with itself in overall charge, because that will infuriate everyone that isn't the US government. The US government has also made vague noises about accepting a different company to run the IANA contract, but with that contract expiring in three months, it is more than likely just waving the IANA contract about as another way of fogging the issue so the hard questions aren't asked and it can award it back to ICANN.

This would not be so bad, except for the fact that ICANN was always supposed to become an automonous body. When the US government created the organisation back in 1998, the stated intention was that when the contract expired in 2003 the US government would cut itself out of the internet. But the Bush administration then decided it didn't like this arrangement and reneged on the deal. It looks certain to do the same again. And if there is any doubt that this is not the right course for the entire internet to follow, it is highlighted in the fact that not a soul will discuss it.

So that's the question I will be asking everyone at ICANN next week. Let's hope the people entrusted to oversee this revolutionary medium don't get distracted with the small battles and forget the bigger picture. ®

What do people think to this?
Is it possible that control of the domain space could be taken away from ICANN, effectively leading to it's break-up?
That Domain handling could be farmed out to someone like AT & T?? The thought of that is alarming at best, as a lot of sites could lose their domains, and I know the EU will insist on taking control of the root servers in Europe under their own authority.

DJ_Max
June 25th, 2006, 10:29 PM
well, as no-one has bothered to really reply to this, I am going to quote in the relevant section which could drastically alter the way the internet is controlled, and domains are handled:

What do people think to this?
Is it possible that control of the domain space could be taken away from ICANN, effectively leading to it's break-up?
That Domain handling could be farmed out to someone like AT & T?? The thought of that is alarming at best, as a lot of sites could lose their domains, and I know the EU will insist on taking control of the root servers in Europe under their own authority.
This was bound to happen, ICANN is just another organization that can be replaced. I

what will happen to the internet on 30 September 2006
Don't think much will change, imagine Y2K all over again, bunch of hype, very little change.

John.Michael.Kane
July 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
ALAC's NTIA Draft Comments (http://icannalac.org/content/view/114/88/)

Public Meeting: NTIA announces a public meeting to be held on July 26, 2006, to discuss issues associated with this transition. The agenda for the meeting will be posted on NTIA’s website, www.ntia.doc.gov, one week prior to the meeting.

The meeting will be open to the public and press on a first-come, first-served basis. http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2006/NOI_DNS_Transition_0506.htm

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Look at the source of the story before you get your skirt blown up. The Register is not exactly the most reliable source for news of any type.

John.Michael.Kane
July 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
mstlyevil excues me i just posted the info for those who want to read it. I have edit he post to link to sites in question.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
mstlyevil excues me i just posted the info for those who want to read it. sorry if you don't approve of what is posted. so it will be removed.

SD the original article quoted is The Register. All I am saying is take their reporting with a grain of salt because 90% of what they print is either inaccurate, sensationalized or just plain false.

John.Michael.Kane
July 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM
the post has been edited to link to the sites in question. weather it helps or not is true or false is unknown.