PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Support in Kenya

darkalemonkey
June 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hello all!

I'm going to Kenya to bring some computers to a Maasai school that has just gotten electricity. (http://www.maasai-association.org ) I would love to include an install of Ubuntu on their machines. It may be a while before they get internet connection (but there is a big push). Since their computer knowledge is starting from scratch anyway, it would be great to start fresh and open.

Who knows of a "go to guy/gal" for support in Kenya?

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
These forums are probably the best help.

aysiu
June 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
These forums are probably the best help.
But "it may be a while before they get internet connection."

mips
June 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I would not advise using ubuntu in an environment without internet access.

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
But "it may be a while before they get internet connection."
Oops, I'm stupid. If they just got electricity, I think the Internet is probably not available yet. Mind you, you forgot about people not having the internet at one point!

kanem
June 22nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
In light of the internet thingy, I guess you'll know to get the Ubuntu DVDs? Or some other distro that includes everything on the install disks.

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
In light of the internet thingy, I guess you'll know to get the Ubuntu DVDs? Or some other distro that includes everything on the install disks.
The issue here is how will they get support?

darkalemonkey
June 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Correct. The issue is support for them when I am gone. I want to find people already living in Kenya that might be able to help. My specific question is this:

"Who are the local team in Kenya and what is their contact info?"

If I can't show that there are people in country already using Ubuntu, then the board who runs the non-profit will just say "Go with Windows only."

thanks.

Cherry Cotton
May 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hey,

This is an old thread, and y'all probably know of this already, but for the sake of completeness of record, here's the forum (on these here forums) for the Ubuntu Kenya LoCo.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=193

Cool, huh? Ubuntu for all Kenya!