PDA

View Full Version : WordPerfect Office X6

KegHead
July 5th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi!

Just opened the August PC World and read about Office X6.

Has anyone heard about a Ubuntu (Linux) version?

KegHead

Mark Phelps
July 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Don't know of any Linux version, and version X4 and higher won't run at all in Wine.

January 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I love WordPerfect, best word processor EVER! If you wrote something back in the very first version back in the early 90s, the new ones would open. If you created a file on the new ones, opens on the older version (if the PC has enough memory)!

Anyway, I installed it back in Ubuntu 10 + Wine = FAILED.

KegHead
February 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hi!

Does anyone have any updates/comments?

Thanks!

KegHead

Mark Phelps
February 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
This is the updated page for WordPerfect Office from WineHQ:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=222

varunendra
February 18th, 2013, 11:25 PM
More of a discussion rather than any support request.
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

neu5eeCh
February 19th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Hi!

Just opened the August PC World and read about Office X6.

Has anyone heard about a Ubuntu (Linux) version?

KegHead

I love WordPerfect. To me, it's light years ahead of MS Office and LibreOffice (and always will be), but to say that Corel has mismanaged WordPerfect is the very definition of understatement. I doubt it will ever run on Linux natively. To whit:

"WordPerfect failed to gain a large user base, and as part of Corel's change of strategic direction following a (non-voting) investment by Microsoft, WordPerfect for Linux was discontinued and their Linux distribution was sold to Xandros (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros). In April 2004, Corel re-released WordPerfect 8.1 (the last Linux-native version) with some updates, as a "proof of concept" and to test the Linux market. As of 2011, WordPerfect for Linux is not available for purchase."

So... I use Libre Office and grit my teeth every time I have to vertically center text (which is still moronically difficult). If you need to use WP in Linux, X3 works very well with Crossover. Personally, I find it functions better by using XP in virtual box. By the way, I can vertically center text with fewer keystrokes, using WordPerfect in Virtual Box (prior to starting virtual box!!!) than it takes to vertically center text ***in an already running instance of Libre Oficce***!!!!! This fact never ceases to amaze me and the fact that Libre Office devs still haven't fixed this also amazes me.

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Those were the good old days when Corel was friendly to Linux. At one time, wasn't the Linux version of Wordperfect free of charge?

neu5eeCh
February 19th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Those were the good old days when Corel was friendly to Linux. At one time, wasn't the Linux version of Wordperfect free of charge?

Yes, for the basic version without fonts it used to be free. I don't know if discontinuing WP for Linux was the dumbest thing Corel ever did, but it wasn't smart. They absolutely should have kept a toehold in the Linux ecosystem. Could they have competed with Libre Office? Not on cost, but there might have been other unforeseen benefits.

Update: I just ordered a complete copy (manual & everything) for $18. We'll see if I can install it. Will require some old dependencies. If it doesn't work, then I'm out $18 dollars....