PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good candidate to become an Ubuntu Member?

Shadius
July 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Hey everybody! :)

Just as the title says and how can an individual increase the chances of being approved to become an Ubuntu Member? Is it necessary to contribute some sort of guide on a topic to the Ubuntu Forum or is it sufficient enough that the individual be helpful in solving threads? I also read that an individual should have at least six months of activity on the forum, is this true?

I'm just wondering how to become a better candidate to gain an Ubuntu Membership.

Thank you for your thoughts!

nothingspecial
July 5th, 2012, 09:48 AM
From the wiki page
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Forums/Membership)

Forum Contributions

Ubuntu membership generally recognizes significant and sustained contributions to Ubuntu. An active Forums contributor is held to the same standards, but the main focus of activity is in the Ubuntu Forums. Some examples of possible types of Forums contributions include:

Helpful support posts
Positive and encouraging Forums community focused activities that make new members feel welcome and help them find the resources they need
High quality posts that inform, support, draw attention to useful resources, share useful ideas, and/or enable easier involvement in the wider Ubuntu community
Encouraging good culture and behaviour in the Ubuntu Forums without being pedantic or demeaning

Adherence to the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct and the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
Good work as a staff member - future staff will be required to acquire Ubuntu Membership prior to becoming forums staff, but current staff who are not yet Ubuntu Members will have their hard work and dedication rewarded

Remember, these are only a few possible types of contributions. There are many additional methods of contributing that are not listed. The main criteria for consideration will be "a sustained and real contribution to the quality of the Ubuntu Forums and through that to the wider Ubuntu community." We expect a minimum of six months of consistent involvement. Applicants must either be infraction-free or must not have had an active infraction for at least one year.

Some other things I would suggest are

Reporting posts that need the attention of staff (spam etc)

Participating in #ubuntuforums on irc (link in my sig)

Attending forum council meetings agenda (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda)

There are many more.

However you participate in the forums, a sustained and significant contribution is sure to be looked upon favourably by the Forum Council.

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM
All of the above plus a healthy contribution to the staff vacation fund :p

QIII
July 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Do you do PayPal?

Elfy
July 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Do you do PayPal?

Kiwi might - but if you PM me I'll give you my bank details ... :p

QIII
July 5th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I'll send you some money, but then steal your identity, clean your account out and buy a Rolls Royce.

Elfy
July 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'll send you some money, but then steal your identity, clean your account out and buy a Rolls Royce.

If your sending me that much then your welcome :)

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM
We have lockers in most major Rail Terminals

QIII
July 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Unmarked cash in small denominations with non-sequential serial numbers?

lisati
July 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Do you do PayPal?

If you don't mind spending most of the day looking round assorted web pages hosted on my server, collecting clues about my identity, whereabouts, and suitable means to send me a donation, I won't mind.

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Gold

oldfred
July 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I am cheap, just buy me a beer. But at least some decent beer, not some overhyped light beer.

QIII
July 5th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Gold! I like that! Very cloak and dagger stuff.

It just so happens that I have a large collection of stolen gold archeological treasures. Do you want them as-is, or should I fire the crucible tonight and melt them down?

QIII
July 5th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry, OldFred.

There is no way I could part myself from even a single beer.

There are just some things even I will not do.

cortman
July 5th, 2012, 10:26 PM
All of the above plus a healthy contribution to the staff vacation fund :p

LOL! Good one Kiwi. :D

Dlambert
July 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I was having difficulty posting my personal Wiki for my application, saying I don't have permission...and I couldn't figure it out.

Shadius
July 6th, 2012, 05:16 AM
:lolflag: Look what my thread has turned into. You guys are funny!

cariboo
July 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
The staff Friday night party fund is getting low too, we need more cake and ale. :-D:-D

KiwiNZ
July 6th, 2012, 05:58 AM
The staff Friday night party fund is getting low too, we need more cake and ale. :-D:-D

no no no, that's orange juice and sliced carrots and celery sticks;)

Shadius
July 6th, 2012, 06:23 AM

:lolflag: I just had that today!

sffvba[e0rt
July 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
There is nothing wrong with your thread. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits.

vasa1
July 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
:lolflag: Look what my thread has turned into. You guys are funny!

At least you didn't have to need to bump your question.

Elfy
July 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM
At least you didn't have to need to bump your question.

If it's the one I think - report it and ask it to be moved to a support forum ;)

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 6th, 2012, 09:15 PM

New Zealand must be a lot different from what I experienced in the months of living in Australia. It wasn't ale though. :-#

I didn't have the time to visit New Zealand.

Any Olives in that? ;)