PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Executing a command.

Tuluppa
July 5th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hello!

So I have to run a command "echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope" before I can login in diablo3 using wine.

My question is, is there anyway to make it into a double-clickable something so I dont have to actually type it everytime into terminal?

Thank you for reading

Tuluppa

prshah
July 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
So I have to run a command "echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope" before I can login in diablo3 using wine.

is there anyway to make it into a double-clickable something so I dont have to actually type it everytime into terminal?

Yes. You can create a text file, and put the line into it. Use gksudo instead of "sudo". Give the file execute permissions, and setup a link to it where convenient to you (Eg ~/Desktop). You can also add the commands to launch the game in the text file. This text file containing commands is called a "script file".

BUT

Is there a better solution?

A better solution which is more secure and does not require repetitively modifying ptrace_scope is to grant Wineserver ptrace capabilities.

In a terminal:

sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=eip /usr/bin/wineserver
sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=eip /usr/bin/wine-preloader

This exempts the wineserver and wine-preloader binaries from the non-child ptrace restriction, and allows them to ptrace any process.
It only needs to be done once, and is safer because these binaries are usually from a trusted source - the official repositories or the official Wine PPA, so they aren't going to be malware.
(From: http://askubuntu.com/questions/146160/what-is-the-ptrace-scope-workaround-for-wine-programs-and-are-there-any-risks )