PDA

View Full Version : Computer Tools

Shadius
July 5th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hey everybody! :)

I don't know if this can go here, if not, please move this thread to the appropriate section. Thanks!

I'd like to know if there are some standard tools to use for working with computers. Can anyone suggest some tools or tool kits? Things to use for opening the computer, cleaning the computer and its components, cleaning the fans (dust buildup), and things of that nature. What do you suggest and what do you use?

papibe
July 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hi Shadius.

I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-801-89-SHOP-MICRO-CLEANING-Misc/dp/B00002ND4G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1341468251&sr=8-7&keywords=vacuum+computer) vacuum attachments long time ago and I'm pleased with them.

As far as tools, it depends on the case, but usually you don't need much. An screw driver is all need. Nevertheless, there are tool kits you can buy like this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0346299) one.

Just some thoughts.
Regards.

na5h
July 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
The only thing that I've ever needed is a set of small screwdrivers.

Just watch out for static electricity, it could damage the parts...so keep yourself grounded! I believe there are also some sort of anti-static gloves you can buy for these sorts of things...

prshah
July 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Can anyone suggest some tools or tool kits? Things to use for opening the computer, cleaning the computer and its components, cleaning the fans (dust buildup), and things of that nature. What do you suggest and what do you use?

As far as tools go, practically any standard screwdriver set will do for most chassis. Some chassis have a "screwless" design, or thumbscrews, so you don't need anything to open the cover.

As for cleaning, I always use a standard household vaccum cleaner SET TO BLOW, NOT VACCUM/SUCK. Of course it blows dust all around the place, so better to use it outdoors (or balconies). I usually focus the nozzle on fans (SMPS, CPU, HDD and chassis fans) and then give the rest of the inner cabinet a couple of quick passes. I clean the SMPS fan from two sides (outside and reverse heat vents, which is inside the chassis).

I guess you can also used compressed air cans, but we don't have them in India.

Shadius
July 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Hi Shadius.

I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-801-89-SHOP-MICRO-CLEANING-Misc/dp/B00002ND4G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1341468251&sr=8-7&keywords=vacuum+computer) vacuum attachments long time ago and I'm pleased with them.

As far as tools, it depends on the case, but usually you don't need much. An screw driver is all need. Nevertheless, there are tool kits you can buy like this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0346299) one.

Just some thoughts.
Regards.
This toolkit looks promising. Thanks.

The only thing that I've ever needed is a set of small screwdrivers.

Just watch out for static electricity, it could damage the parts...so keep yourself grounded! I believe there are also some sort of anti-static gloves you can buy for these sorts of things...
Oh, yes, the anti-static wristband. Thanks.

As far as tools go, practically any standard screwdriver set will do for most chassis. Some chassis have a "screwless" design, or thumbscrews, so you don't need anything to open the cover.

As for cleaning, I always use a standard household vaccum cleaner SET TO BLOW, NOT VACCUM/SUCK. Of course it blows dust all around the place, so better to use it outdoors (or balconies). I usually focus the nozzle on fans (SMPS, CPU, HDD and chassis fans) and then give the rest of the inner cabinet a couple of quick passes. I clean the SMPS fan from two sides (outside and reverse heat vents, which is inside the chassis).

I guess you can also used compressed air cans, but we don't have them in India.
Why do you put it to blow instead of vacuum? It might vacuum up the circuitry?

Thanks for the thoughts folks. It helps to know what tools I'll need when it comes to computer related work. I was recently cleaning out a computer that seemed to have been neglected for years and it was packed with dust! I was coughing up dust balls! So I was thinking there has to be an easier way of doing this because I was using household items to clean out the dust like a little soft bristle paint brush, and a toothbrush. I was using the toothbrush to clean out the stuck on dust from the fans. I don't even think a can of compressed air would blow it off. I like to keep my computers neat and clean so I was wondering what the best tools/methods were to accomplish that.

prshah
July 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Why do you put it to blow instead of vacuum? It might vacuum up the circuitry?

or parts thereof. You don't want to be stuck with a bunch of jumpers removed from the board from god knows where.

mips
July 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM
http://www.diytools.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/400x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/r/draper-65766-25mm-paintbrush.jpg

Paqman
July 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Jeweller's screwdrivers
Spudgers
Compressed air and a little brush
Cable ties
Wrist strap and anti-static mat.
Pliers
Head torch

That should take care of any job really. Computer's are like Lego these days, you don't need a lot of tools.

wojox
July 5th, 2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.everythingblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Hammers.jpg

Hammers will fix everything. :lolflag:

CharlesA
July 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hammers will fix everything. :lolflag:

Needs moar cow bell.

I have a small screw driver with multiple bits and some canned air, cable ties and multiboot usb.

I used to wear a antistatic wrist thing, but it usually just got in the way, so now I just keep myself grounded by touching the case.

mips
July 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
If you live by the coast or in a humid place I would not worry about a anti-static wrist strap.

Paqman
July 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
If you live by the coast or in a humid place I would not worry about a anti-static wrist strap.

You should use one no matter where you are. A lot of things will build up a static charge, even standing up or sitting down. Pulling tape off a roll is horrendous.

They're so cheap, and they protect your expensive hardware. Why not use one?

mips
July 5th, 2012, 04:25 PM
You should use one no matter where you are. A lot of things will build up a static charge, even standing up or sitting down. Pulling tape off a roll is horrendous.

Never had issues with static in all my life at the coast (humid) and I've worked on pieces of kit that costs the same as houses.

stalkingwolf
July 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
i have a kit i got with a course, it has 2 philips screw drivers lg and very small. a flat tip and a nut driver for standoffs and such. I also use a battery powered or rechargable screw driver for some things. a small pair of hemostats comes in handy for people with big fingers, and brushes of different sizes.

I also keep a jar of thermal grease handy in case i decide to remove the heat sink.
I also keep extra screws handy incase i drop one or incase i run into those damnable security screws.

cariboo
July 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I have a small (8 gal. 37l) compressor, that I set the air pressure down to 50 - 60 PSI for blowing out systems in my shop. I've pretty well stopped repairing computer systems for customers, but it still comes in handy for my own systems. About the only hand tools I use are a phillips screw driver, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a hemostat.

I've found that Xcelite (http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/xcelite/index.cfm) screw drivers, seem to last for ever, I have several that I've owned for more years than I want to remember, that show absolutely no sign of wear after constant usage.

Paqman
July 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Never had issues with static in all my life at the coast (humid) and I've worked on pieces of kit that costs the same as houses.

Ah, well that's all right then. Clearly the entire electronics industry is barking up the wrong tree. They'll be chuffed, they won't have to spend vast wads of cash every year to deal with it. All those proper scientists with their peer-review papers dealing with the subject are quite likely to be cross with you though, so keep your head down ;)

Seriously though, the damage from ESD isn't always immediate. Latent damage does lead to failures in later life. The initial damage is microscopic and the gear appears fine, but will fail sooner than it otherwise would have.

Good ESD handling practice is one of those things that show someone who's been well-trained in my experience. Unfortunately a lot of people that work in IT don't actually have a strong technical background and perpetuate some really bad practice. Don't sink to their level, do it properly.

Dlambert
July 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I as well have never had issues with static, and I've done emergency repairs on carpet. :lolflag: But a screwdriver and Headband (to prevent sweat from falling, just trust me) are all I've ever needed to open/build a PC. A case of cable ties are also recommended.

Shadius
July 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I was wondering, is it alright for other wires to be touching other things within the case, like a fan wire touching the RAM or some graphics card? Should I make an effort to have the wires suspended or just let them drop, touching somewhere on the motherboard?

prshah
July 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Should I make an effort to have the wires suspended or just let them drop, touching somewhere on the motherboard?

It's better if you can "suspend" them out of the way; allows for better airflow in the chassis.

It's not a problem if the wires are touching other components, PROVIDED:

a) The wires are well insulated (ie, there is no peeling, cracking or discolouration of the insulation)

b) The wires are not resting on anything that can get hot, such as a heatsink

c) The wires are not getting in way of the cooling fan

I always use twist ties and nylon lock "thingies" to move the wires out of the way, and along the edges. It's a lot easier now that SATA has come; IDE cables were very difficult to position.

However, when I'm in a rush, I don't bother, except as mentioned above.