PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with installing ubuntu in pen drive.

Gauravs90
July 5th, 2012, 04:04 AM
I have 16 Gb pen drive in which i want to install ubuntu. but for root i want to use ext2 instead of ext4. The only problem is that GRUB fails to install on ext2.

What can I do.?

mastablasta
July 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
why do you want to use ext 2?

try to use lilo as boot loader then. maybe it supports ext2

sudodus
July 5th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I have 16 Gb pen drive in which i want to install ubuntu. but for root i want to use ext2 instead of ext4. The only problem is that GRUB fails to install on ext2.

What can I do.?

Maybe this is your problem: You should not install grub to a partition but to the drive [head].

So when asked, install grub to /dev/sda (not to /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 ...)

Gauravs90
July 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Maybe this is your problem: You should not install grub to a partition but to the drive [head].

So when asked, install grub to /dev/sda (not to /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 ...)

My usb drive is /dev/sdc and i'm installing grub on /dev/sdc1 which is an ext2 partition and it fails to install. i have fear that if I install on /dev/sdc it will mess with the mbr of hardisk.

Is it right to install on /dev/sdc/

sudodus
July 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM
My usb drive is /dev/sdc and i'm installing grub on /dev/sdc1 which is an ext2 partition and it fails to install. i have fear that if I install on /dev/sdc it will mess with the mbr of hardisk.

Is it right to install on /dev/sdc/
The mbr of each drive 'is' /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc so if you install it to /dev/sdc you won't interfere with /dev/sda.

If you do not want update-grub to add entries for the internal drive, you can disconnect your internal drives before running
update-grub when booted from the external drive.

Gauravs90
July 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks.. It worked...

sudodus
July 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Congratulations :KS

Please click on Thread Tools at the top of this page and mark this thread as SOLVED