PDA

View Full Version : Google is killing iGoogle

forrestcupp
July 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Google is shutting down a few of their services (http://asia.cnet.com/google-spring-cleans-will-shut-down-five-projects-62217396.htm). I can understand shutting down Google Video, since they acquired YouTube. But what were they thinking when they decided to shut down iGoogle. I know a lot of people who use iGoogle as their home page.

I'm checking out Netvibes as a replacement.

JDShu
July 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I can understand their reasoning and I never used iGoogle heavily. It's one of those services that not a lot of people use, but those that use it use it heavily. I just hope they don't remove Reader in the same fashion.

I will need to find a better way to track schedules and scores once college football season comes along though!

Frogs Hair
July 5th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I really didn't know personalized home pages were still popular. I used a home page on my first computer for a couple of years but not since. Opera Unite is history also and it was referred to as a "legacy platform"

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I really didn't know personalized home pages were still popular. I used a home page on my first computer for a couple of years but not since. Opera Unite is history also and it was referred to as a "legacy platform"

If you don't have any home page at all, what comes up when you open your web browser?

AlanR8
July 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Google....

3Miro
July 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Chromium and Firefox have the feature to give you a list of most commonly used web-pages and that's the first thing you see when you start your browser.

Technically a personal web-page would be for others to see, but then most people are probably using Facebook. If you want your own page for yourself, then you can just make it a file on your machine and unless you want to use PHP you don't even have to install a web-server (JavaScript and HTML5 don't need a web-sever, only PHP does).

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Chromium and Firefox have the feature to give you a list of most commonly used web-pages and that's the first thing you see when you start your browser.Which is usually one of the first things I change in my browser in a new install. I have my bookmark toolbar for that. I think it's more useful to start out with a page that gives me a lot of useful information at a glance, like the weather and different kinds of news.

Technically a personal web-page would be for others to see, but then most people are probably using Facebook. If you want your own page for yourself, then you can just make it a file on your machine and unless you want to use PHP you don't even have to install a web-server (JavaScript and HTML5 don't need a web-sever, only PHP does).There's a difference between a personal web page and a personalized web page. A personalized web page is something that I set up to suit my own needs.

I definitely don't think they're useless. That's why I'm trying out Netvibes right now, which is a decent replacement for iGoogle.

3Miro
July 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
There's a difference between a personal web page and a personalized web page. A personalized web page is something that I set up to suit my own needs.

I definitely don't think they're useless. That's why I'm trying out Netvibes right now, which is a decent replacement for iGoogle.

I see what you mean, a personalized web-page is useful, but my guess is that not too many people care about it.

stalkingwolf
July 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
My wife and i both use igoogle. i have several news pages, moon phases, weather and two pages of tech stuff. Hers has different colors and things of interest to her.

it is one of the first things i set on a new install.

Paqman
July 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
My wife and i both use igoogle.

Same here. I have a few bits and pieces on mine: my recent Google Docs, my Remember the Milk list and some links. She has an absolute bucketload of stuff on hers.

I will miss it, but it's not going for another year, so there's plenty of time to adapt my habits.

Ambimom
July 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I've been using Igoogle almost as long as I've been using a computer. It's very convenient. I think they want everyone to switch to Chrome/Chromium instead. I'm pissed, but what can a person do about it?

Henkdroid
July 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I think they should replace it with Google Now, which they introduced with Android 4.1 Jellybean. It would give mostly the same information, unless you had RSS feeds.

MadmanRB
July 6th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I never used it so it wont be missed.

Frogs Hair
July 6th, 2012, 01:43 AM
If you don't have any home page at all, what comes up when you open your web browser?

I use the search page . I was thinking in terms of the pages that the user logs into and customizes with a theme and adds the news links and so on.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 6th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I've been using computers for at least 35 years. I used the Internet when it was ARPANET.

I have learned that things change!

I've learned to adjust to it. Especially now that companies have gotten involved with the Internet. Some of the changes I like and others I don't. However, I realize that I am just using a service the company is providing. The company isn't going to listen to my complaints unless their decision affects their profits.

I use iGoogle as my home page. When it is gone, I will adjust to it. They may offer an alternative.

Adrian98
July 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM
It's really really bad! Because I have been using iGoogle since long time! I had customized everything on my homepage but now i am thinking I should get ready for some alternative for it! :(

forrestcupp
July 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
It's really really bad! Because I have been using iGoogle since long time! I had customized everything on my homepage but now i am thinking I should get ready for some alternative for it! :(

It's still going yo be around until November of next year. Netvibes is a good alternative, but it's not quite as good.

Primefalcon
July 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I am kinda sad about this myelf as both my wife and I use it.... thinking I might jus build my own on my own local apache setup

ronnysingh
July 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM
iGoogle users will get more than enough time to transfer their data.

sa2.14
July 7th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I'll just go back to my yahoo. Not quite as polished as igoogle, though

forrestcupp
July 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
iGoogle users will get more than enough time to transfer their data.

It's just a bunch of web apps showing news feeds that are compiled together on one page. Where can you transfer web apps?

Thankfully, they're not so crazy as to shut Gmail down, too.

Bandit
July 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I messed with the iGoogle mess for about one afternoon. I decided I have enough gadgets on my desktop so I didnt need it.

kdrainey
July 17th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I use Igoogle and have become very dependent upon it. It is machine independent and serves a personal bulletin board with new Gmail, weather for several spots important to me, Wikipedia, translate, traffic, etc.

Its an apps holder.

Google suggests chrome extensions as a substitute, but it does not seem to put the extensions (which are similar to those in Igoogle)on the start page.

I have started using Lightread and it does part of the job by getting all the newspapers I read on the same page.

Keep looking Ubuntu people! Thanks!

ojdon
July 18th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Never really used iGoogle. Never have liked the idea of widgets. Web Apps are the way forward anyway since they serve a similar, if not better purpose. :)

Paqman
July 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Google suggests chrome extensions as a substitute, but it does not seem to put the extensions (which are similar to those in Igoogle)on the start page.

You can set it to display the new tab page when it first fires up, and there are extensions which stick widgets all over the new tab page, so by the time Igoogle shuts down totally there should be a workable replacement.

Bit of a hassle though.